Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Zomodok posted:

No other pet will love you like your conure will.

Period.

I am pretty sure my cockatiel loves me more than my conure does. At least, she is a lot nicer to me than my conure is. Ozzy is kindof a dick sometimes. Nugget is always a sweet little fluffball of love :derptiel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

My bird is broken. He immediately stops doing cute things when he sees a camera or my phone and starts trying to attack them :( :( :( Ozzy is a closet-cute bird, he doesn't want any evidence of his nice side to surface on the internet.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

Ladies (or guys too, I guess), I have a question about small birds (GCC, cockatiels) and earrings. I don't have my ears pierced, but I would like to start wearing earrings, and I don't see very many clip-ons that don't look super tacky.

Was it hard to teach your birds to leave your earrings alone, or do you just take them out when you handle your birds? I would probably never plan on wearing dangly ones around the birds, but I keep having visions of Ozzy or Nugget ripping a stud right out of my ear because OMG SHINY!!! Actually, there's probably a 50/50 chance that Nugget would decide I am TERRIFYING or that she must eat the earrings :derptiel:

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

I think I may have ruined training Nugget forever. She loves to fiddle with my wedding and engagement rings and I let her because the stone is a garnet so it's not like she's going to break it. Ozzy doesn't seem to have a very intense attraction to shiny stuff the way that she does, though.

When Nugget sits with me, she usually prefers to sit/nap on my laptop keyboard or sit right underneath my chin instead of on my shoulder, so maybe it wouldn't be too bad. Maybe I will get some really tacky shiny clip-ons for a test run.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

Battle Pigeon posted:

For the grip tape part, what would be best to use? Something that doesn't have glue or whatever that the birds could ingest, and won't go gross if used occasionally in the shower?

I've made a PVC perch for my end table next to my couch. I took some sandpaper to the perch part to rough it up a little so that the birds won't slip off. If something bumps the table pretty hard they still fall off, but I could use a coarser grit paper to fix that.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

Nugget and Sprite pretty much nap/space out/preen all day too. Ozzy apparently does different things depending on who is at home with him, so I have no clue what he does when no one is around. If my husband is home, he likes to quietly play with a clock toy and grumble at it. If I'm home, he throws his foot toys around and rattles all his noisy bells around. I think he likes to put on a big hyper show for me because he knows I am more likely to pick up after him.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

Keep her warm and cozy, I hope she feels better!

I painted my friend's cockatoo for a x-mas present and I am really proud of how it turned out, so I figured I'd share with my bird-crazy bros.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks guys :)

I had a dream the other night that Nugget was standing in some wet yellow paint and by the time I got to her it had dried and she was stuck to the counter. :ohdear:

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

My husband actually posted something similar in the last Bird Crazies thread circa 2009 when we still lived in Atlanta. He stopped in a pet store that had birds while I was out and he was absolutely livid at what he saw. He called animal control and a bunch of different news stations. I don't think AC ever really said they were going to do anything about it :( One of the news station reporters replied to him asking for more information about birds and how to spot abuse/neglect and we wrote up this big essay about it. The reporter said he also contacted AC about it but that was the last we ever heard of it. Didn't ever have the heart to go back there to see if maybe things improved.

It seems that the best we can do about lovely pet stores is to not give them our business and keep trying to report them.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

Battle Pigeon posted:

After four hours sat in the same spot (I even left the room, taking Ohtori with me, to go cook for a while) he finally stretched and went to eat a bit. Then climbed out of his cage, went to his favourite corner on the top, smushed against the wall, and went back to sleep. He's been there for about an hour so far.

Steve sounds like Nugget's soul mate. I can see their online dating site profiles: Loves long naps snuggled against the wall...

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

I thought that Yellow-Sided was a color mutation of a Green Cheek, is it also a color mutation for black capped conures? Try to go and visit the birds to see how they react to handling before you make any decisions.

My green cheek mumbles in his sleep sometimes too!

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

I'm so sorry uglynoodles, it sounds like you weren't the cause of his death to me. :( I'm gonna have to agree with the other posters though, something seems fishy about the whole ordeal. Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought smaller conures tended to be weaned around 8-9weeks old. I wonder why he was still being hand fed.

The breeder really should give you your money back. I'm not sure how much effort you want to put into it, but maybe if you tell him that you are definitely NOT going to recommend him to others might change his tune a little.

^^^^ Edit to add: Personally, I would not get another bird from this guy. Maybe if he was immediately willing to work with you to either refund your money or replace the bird, but his reaction is a pretty bad sign IMO. I think it's also a bad sign that he would sell a not-completely-weaned bird.

Pip pip pip fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 3, 2012

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

Battle Pigeon posted:

What if they use teflon products? What if they reinforce bad behaviours, like screaming? What if he ends up just being left all day because they're busy or don't really care? Will he still be as tame at the end of it? What if they yell at him for biting or screaming? What if he gets out? What if someone breaks in?! Noooo

Look at the bright side, if he's not being boarded with other parrots, he probably won't learn some awesome new big bird shrieks like Ozzy did the first time we boarded him with our avian vet :haw: Ohtori will be fine. He will either be SUPER happy to see you and clingy when you go to pick him up, or he will be a little bitchy at you for a couple days to punish you and then go back to normal.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

I am the worst bird owner today. I uncovered Ozzy this morning and he immediately started FREAKING OUT. So I am looking out the window wondering if a big bird flew by or what... Nope, I forgot that I put a new box within sight of his cage last night :ughh: Birds.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

SaNChEzZ posted:

So Ritz's new favorite thing to do:

Fly to dad's desk, poo poo on his chair back, then go back to cage.

:argh: We trained you to poop in your cage, bird. Why must you poop on the chair!

:negative:

Well, you see, you're always sitting there so it must be your cage. Therefore, it's ok for Ritz to poop on it. It's really quite simple :derptiel:

Trying to teach Ozzy to be more self-sufficient and actually fly to places instead of whining at me has backfired. Now he tries to follow me around the apartment everywhere. Too cute to discourage...

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

Pile of Kittens posted:

How did you teach him to get off his lard rear end? Novolo has a full set of flight feathers and refuses to use them.

I toss him into the air towards things he seems to want to go to: his cage, the playstand we have in the living room, or the couch. I feel like a terrible person, throwing my pets across the room, but it seems to be helping a little. It's really funny how slow he flies though, it seems like he is just hovering and only has forward motion because I toss him.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

When they're first learning all they know is the power hover. They spend a ton of energy blasting air downward just to stay in the air, and don't have much left for forward flight.

With time, and as they get stronger muscles from all that work, they'll start moving fast enough that their wings will actually work. At least, if they have enough space; it takes a bit of forward speed before wings start generating enough lift, but then they become little fighter planes zooming around :keke:

Yeah, Nugget zips around all over the place even when I clip her. Now that I have started letting her flight feathers grow out, I've been treated to some real aerial acrobatics. That bird can do a 180 on a dime; it really amazes me how something so derpy can be so agile. :derptiel: fighter plane image makes me giggle

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

Amaya posted:

No nestbox unless you want a nest, bro. Happyhut is out for discussion though... some people say it makes their birds more territorial, but in my experience my bird/the birds of other people I know have no different behavioral changes. Also there were some problems with birds chewing on the edges of the hut and getting tangled and hurting themselves or dying. So... obviously THAT'S something to think about.

I believe there were safer alternatives...? But I don't know what they are :(

We have a "Birdy Bed" for Ozzy. Similar idea. It's a stiff tube that is line with felt so there isn't as much of a strangling hazard, I think. This is the only place I know of that sells them:
http://www.djfeathers.com/shop/sleeping-huts-5/birdy-beds-93/?zenid=408820a4cf4a564ebf2caffb02de4ef3

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

SaNChEzZ posted:

We're thinking about clipping Ritz's wings, and would like some input.

Since he's been flighted, he's gotten kinda bad (behavior wise) he likes to fly over, act all nice, then bite then fly away. Also, the pooping on the chair thing, ughh. He's also become very reluctant to step up. When he's on his cage or somewhere that he knows he's going to get put back, he'll just pin and bob his head, then bite and refuse to step up unless he gets a click and a treat in the process. As soon as the clicker comes out, best bird. When the clicker isn't around, worst bird.

Do you guys think that clipping him will help with these behavioral issues? We don't want to because it's nice to just let him go to and from his cage, but when the inbetween consists of biting and refusing to step up, it's very tempting.

What do ya'll think?

He's still really bitey, not in fear or anger (he could just fly away), it just seems that he enjoys doing it. We've tried putting him on the floor, tried telling him no, tried putting him in the cage as soon as he bites, tried everything, and he still does it. I look like edward meth-user hands at this point with all my little cuts and scars :(

On the other hand, he goes to bed as soon as it's time, doesn't scream for the most part (only when we get home) but in the mornings and evenings he's super quiet. I guess it's better to have a biting sun conure than a screaming sun conure in some ways.. :unsmith:

Clipping his wings may help with his attitude problem. Either way, they will grow back out. Ozzy is kindof a dick about stepping up off the top of his cage so we just don't let him climb on the outside of it. v:shobon:v

In other news, I got some awesome presents in the mail for the birds today. Apparently some websites are bad at labeling sizes for birds but Ozzy seems to really love this one anyway:

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

uglynoodles, I went through the same thing the first month or two that I brought Nugget home, and when we brought Ozzy home too. Iroh will settle in eventually and learn to take care of herself. I think it is a good idea for you to not be within sight if she is fixating on you that much while you are busy with other things. Being in a separate room might let her calm down enough to realize she has a bunch of cool things in her cage to play with.

I bet once she's more settled in she will be content to watch you work and entertain herself without having to be moved to the hallway.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

My birds turn into bitchy monsters at 10pm on the dot. It's like they can read the clocks. I never feel bad about it :colbert:

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

I am discovering daily more pros and cons of letting Ozzy learn to fly.
Pro: If he is hanging out on my shoulder, will fly to a perch or playstand to poop.
Con: Still won't fly back to me, but will fuss at me to come get him.

Con: Sometimes gets scared and makes a beeline to my shoulder no matter where he is in the apartment. Looks like I'm about to get whacked in the face by a bird.
Pro: It's freaking adorable.

Nugget is becoming a bit less snuggly now that she's pretty much fully flighted. I'm trying to decide if I will clip her again or not. I miss my snuggly bird but it's fun to watch her fly all over the place. At least she stopped perching on the top of a wall-hanging where I'd have to climb on top of the couch to get her down.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

SaNChEzZ posted:

So Ritz had his first night fright last night. Well kinda, he was just flying around in his cage all scared like. No screaming or noise at all, just flapping. It was 4:22AM, but I thank him for doing it because if we hand't woken up we wouldn't have noticed that the ceiling was leaking due to rain.

We took him out and cuddled him in bed, but he didn't want to go back in his cage. He ended up going back in and going to bed with the cover halfway off so he could still see us.

Luckily he's ok and didn't hurt himself at all :)

Nugget didn't have her first night fright until she was like 2 years old. Sounds like he was just freaked out because of the leak(?) but ever since we got a night light for our bird room we haven't had any more night fright incidents. I'm glad he didn't hurt himself! Conures seem to be a lot more sturdy than cockatiels are :derptiel:

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

Tasty_Crayon posted:

Does anyone have a contingency plan for if their power goes out in the winter? My biggest fear is that the power fails while we are out or asleep and the birds slowly freeze. We have a small place that doesn't take much to heat (on gas) but I still worry.

Unless your home is unreasonably drafty or your birds are ill, they should be OK until you wake up in the morning if the power went out in the middle of the night.

We have a couple contingency plans in this scenario:
1) Our stove is also gas, so we can use a match to turn the cooktop on. We heat up water for hot water bottles. Wrap in towels at place at the bottom of the cages.
My friend with a giant cockatoo does this but she will put him in a pet carrier and put the hot water bottles on the outside on one side of the carrier.

2) We have an agreement with a friend that if one our homes loses power, then the other is welcome to bring their birds over to a warmer place.

3) If it's a really long outage, take the birds to a vet or boarder (this is the last resort, expensive option).

Re: gas heat power. Our home also uses gas heat, but if the power is out, the thermostat won't work to kick the heat on.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

I don't have any good advice, Horn of Arby's, but good luck :( Maybe family can help you out?

Today we made the mistake of introducing Ozzy to popcorn. He proceeded to gleefully shred it up and spread it EVERYWHERE. It's in my hair, it's all over the couch. :gonk:

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

Dat stumpy tail :3: Please let us know when the game/demo is done. I wanna play that game!

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

mikerock posted:

Scout is going to make me go deaf. She picked up a screeching habit from (I think) the African Greys that were boarding at the same time she was. She didn't do this before but now she has taken to peeping really loudly and sometimes she does it on my shoulder. Will she grow out of this or will we have to train it out of her?

This happened with Ozzy the first time we boarded him. He eventually stopped doing those horrid screams except for when something REALLY REALLY scares him. We did the same thing that John Don Baker suggested. Try your best to ignore her when she is making noises you don't like.

Of course Ozzy also learned the high pitched contact whistle that my cockatiel uses. It sounds even more annoying coming out of a conure beak :derptiel:. I don't think I'll ever get him to stop doing that one.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

uglynoodles posted:

It's been some weeks now and Iro still won't play with any toys, preferring instead to stare at me. I love that bird, but jesus christ girl, do something that isn't acting as if I keep you in that cage 24/7. All I have to do is glance in her direction and she'll leap off her perch and onto the wall giving me her best avian attempt at puppydog eyes.

I love this drat bird. She won't stop dancing to Boney M's Rasputin song.

You might need to teach Iro how to play with her toys. Bash them around with your fingers and act like a crazy person because OMG SO MUCH FUN!!! Do you have any foot toys or jingly balls? My conure loves those things. He's also a butt and still will attempt the puppydog eyes/leaping off the perch when someone walks by, but after a while he gets the hint and goes to entertain himself. It took us a while to get there too. We had to "teach" him how to play with toys when we brought him home.

He's turning 4 next month and still 100% prefers to come out and take a nap in my hair than play with any toy though, no matter how cool it is. I can't really complain about that though :3:

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

Zupreem club just sent me an e-mail about a website they're sponsoring to analyze different bird foods: http://www.birdfoodfacts.com/

It lets you add different foods into a mix by percentage and gives you a breakdown of protein/fat/fiber/moisture. It's kinda neat to play with, but doesn't give any vitamin breakdowns that I can see. I thought it was relavent to some of the pellet vs. homemade mixes chat we had a couple pages ago.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

Malalol posted:

Doesnt..tell me much other than the statement 'Your food is okay' ....and various premade diets differ wildly in those categories..fiber, fat, etc. Weird.

I see your point. I think it would be better used to assess relative quality of foods based on what you think your bird needs. Example: My bird needs less fat in his diet, and pellet A has less fat by percentage than the pellet I am currently feeding. Or if I adjust the ratios in my home-made mix, I can get a better macronutrient split that matched what my vet suggested.

I suppose if one is really making something from scratch, you could just make a recipe in whatever calorie counter program you fancy and it would get the macro split along with the vitamins. Probably wouldn't give moisture content though.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

mjs6643 posted:

Cockatiels have the same power. My mom is a bit spooked by birds but I have to do a FaceTime call at least once a week so she can say hi to Ellie

Ladytiels are the sweetest things on the planet. I refuse to believe anything different.:colbert:

I'm feeling kindof guilty tonight. I decided to clip Nugget's wings after letting her be flighted for a couple months because she has started to be really naughty about flying to inapropriate places. She is all sad-looking and puffed up on my shoulder now :(

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

I hate to break up the balcony chat, but GOOD NEWS EVERYONE. We had a couple new friends over yesterday that were actually interested in interacting with the birds. (This pretty much never happens, only one person I know usually wants to play with my birds. Obviously I need new friends) They were all perfect little angels, :wtc: Nugget and Sprite were a little shy but Ozzy was the life of the party! He loved the new exciting people and apparently Ozzy is the most well-behaved conure they have ever met.

I also learned that having a parrot that basically poops on command is a pretty good party trick :toot: I am so proud of my birdums. My vet always tells me they are well-behaved too but for some reason I never believed her.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

Battle Pigeon posted:

Ohtori is alternating between MUST BE WITH YOU and apparent rage.

More for conure.txt

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

Exotic bird pet insurance? It looks like it's around $216-450/year. What are peoples experiences with it? We plan to do the annual checkup, plus the obvious "oh crap the bird is ill" stuff.

Any avian/exotic vet recommendations in Los Angeles?

Scales? The place we're buying from sells a 2kg 1g-accuracy scale plus perch by Sterling for $130. Should I just buy a $50 one off Amazon w/ tare button and put a perch on it?

Aracaris are adorable. If you get one, please post approximately 5 million pictures. I think Battle Pigeon covered the food costs pretty well.

As far as pet insurance goes, please read the fine print VERY CAREFULLY. Many pet insurances that I have come across will not cover emergency vet visits, or certain tests and procedures or they may have very high co-pays. I am a bigger fan of self-insuring by putting a line in our family budget for $x/mo to save for vet expenses. This has worked out well for us. There have been a couple expensive years for us when our cockatiel was retarded and injured herself and got sick in the same year, but the last couple years we have only had to pay for normal checkups. It evens out in the long run. As far as how much individual things cost. Call up some local vets and ask. My bird's normal checkups run about $60/bird and then maybe $100-$150/bird if I want fecal and blood tests done.

For scales? We use a $20 food scale that measures 1g increments. The perch isn't even necessary if your bird is tame enough to sit still for the 20 seconds it takes to weigh them v:shobon:v I wouldn't bother with a $130 one, there is no reason to pay that much more.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

Amaya posted:

A toucan is the first bird I ever wanted. Is it true that they can't really bite you and they just kinda gum you with their soft bills? :3: it sounds so precious. I saw a video of a toucan bapping his head against his owner a while ago too, it was so pathetic and aaaa adorable!

Before we got Ozzy and were contemplating adding the 3rd bird to the flock, my husband really wanted a toucan for that reason, and the adorable hopping, and the weird little noises they make. Then we found out that no one remotely near where we lived had toucans for sale/adoption and we ended up with this retarded little conure v:shobon:v

Speaking of Ozzy, my husband does some sports card opening thing with a webcam and the goons keep calling him a "weird sounding cat". :colbert: My bird is way cooler than a cat OKAY.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

Battle Pigeon posted:

What are budgies like, in comparison to cockatiels and conures? Personality, how intelligent they come across as, derpiness, all that. It won't happen, but I have daydreams of getting Steve a little budgie buddy, watching them sit together with fluffed up mutton chops, and maybe finally having a bird than can talk.

I am going to give my perspective- keep in mind that we got our budgie from a bin-o-budgies from a large chain pet-shop.

I would probably say that Sprite has equal or higher intelligence than Nugget, but my cockatiel is also painfully stupid. Certainly not as smart as Ozzy is. She has a really big personality, she's pretty aggressive and pushy. She alternates between terrorizing Nugget and then trying to make up with her. She would probably try to pick fights with Ozzy if we let them interact. She's really fun to watch playing with toys and zipping around the cage and chasing Nugget around.

She really hates to be pet but will sit on my finger for a little while before flying back to her cage. The only interaction that I have with her that she doesn't seem to dislike on some level is when I hold up my finger for her to bop with her beak.

If you get a budgie buddy for your 'tiel, be careful, male cockatiels are a little more aggressive than females, so Steve might get annoyed with a budgie's antics and start a fight. I'd try to look for a male budgie because supposedly they are less aggressive than the females. I think the males are more likely to learn to talk as well.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

Cockatiels are clearly the best birds. Clearly. Nugget is either too smart or too dumb to bang her head on random objects. I'm not sure which, though.

I should really get back into trick training her and Ozzy. I was really surprised when she learned "turn around" pretty quickly. It certainly helps that she is super food-motivated. Should I teach her to give herself concussions???????? Clearly I have to teach her retarded tricks. We wouldn't want to ruin her reputation.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

Ozzy really likes to chew on colored pieces of wood that he can hold in his foot. If Saffy is weird and requires colors like my retard, you could use food coloring to dye your driftwood :) All my birds like to tear up paper too, so if you get free phone books still (for some reason, we do), you could use pieces of that for Saffy to destroy too.

I mean really Ozzy's favorite thing to do is sit right next to my neck and eat/chew/cut my hair but it's really unnerving hearing the little crunch crunch crunch noises that go along with it right next to my ear. I never realized that hair could be crunchy before. :gonk:

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

Battle Pigeon posted:

I don't think I'm allergic because everything is fine otherwise, but if Steve's powder down gets into my eyes, it burns. Sometimes I'll pet him and then without thinking rub the corner of my eye, or he'll fluff up just as I'm putting in a contact lens (how do they know), and it burns enough that I have to often have to rinse the eye, or let the tearing up do it's thing. It's done the same thing on the corners of my mouth/my lips too (he waddles up and shoves his head against you wherever he can reach to be petted, we're more vigilant now). Is this usual?

I get the irritated eyes sometimes from Nugget fluffing up right next to my face but I've never had an issue with reactions in other places. I do seem to have ridiculously sensitive eyes though. v:shobon:v Hopefully it's not too bothersome for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

We got Ozzy for $150 from a breeder in GA. v:shobon:v He is also defective but he was not specially priced. She also had a couple pineapple green cheeks for $200 if I remember correctly. Bird prices don't seem to be very standard, it all depends on what is around you and what the operation is like.

We got Nugget from some crazy guy in MD for like $40. Oh god her little stump tail was too cute for me to resist. :allears: Memories