Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
So I'm sorta seriously considering getting a baby conure, probably just after being weaned (not me, the bird). I'm just wondering how Hannah the Grey will react to it. He hasn't been around any other birds in probably 10 years. Hannah is good natured and not vicious, but he is VERY spoiled and used to getting whatever he wants and stealing attention. Do you think he'll actually like another bird or is he going to do some Pinky and the Brain style plotting to murder it. I know that every bird is different but I'm just asking for observations and experiences from other Grey owners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

My favorite is The Birdsafe Store. It's a small business and the guy who runs it is always really great about customer service. Lots and lots of toy parts, particularly for birds that like to destroy wood.

And there's always https://www.bird.com

Thanks for the links. Hannah needs some new toys :)

Any recommendations for perches? Right now I just have several dowels going from one end to the other. I have about 3 levels.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

You want to find perches of varying sizes--birds can develop arthritis and other foot problems from always sitting on perches of the same diameter. I have a mix of natural-wood perches, a dowel, and some rope perches. I really love the rope perches, since they can be set in different positions.

Perches with sandy textures for claw maintenance can be problematic. I do have one--it's just a small one, set in front of Pinto's food dish. He doesn't spend enough time on it to hurt his feet, but he does use it daily and I think it has some slight effect on his claws.

e. Another nice perch type is something small that goes on the door of the cage. Pinto has an acrylic semi-circular perch; it doesn't interfere with opening the door and he can hang out on it with the door open if he doesn't feel like actually coming out.

Thanks! His playstand that he spends a lot of time on does have different size perches, but I am definitely upgrading the stuff in his cage. Those rope perches caught my eye too.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I've found a few nearby breeders with GCC's and I've inquired about them. What size cage would you recommend for one? My mom has a few cages sitting around which I could use instead of buying a new one.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Thanks for the feedback. My mom has a larger cage at her house for Hannah. I think I'll get that cage and use it for Hannah and put the conure in what he's using right now.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

How easy would it be to get a stubborn,spoiled 17 year old Grey converted to a pellet diet.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Well I bought Hannah a couple pounds of that Zupreem pellet stuff. Wish me luck. I bet the little bastard is just going to toss it all on the floor.

On a different note I gave Hannah a giant wooden log thing to chew on this past Thursday. He took a few nibbles of it yesterday. This morning I gave him his breakfast and within a couple hours he completely demolished the toy.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

That thing looks awesome. You should either post the steps here or PM me with them, as I am pretty clueless with how to make stuff like that

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Oh that's easy. I thought you knotted the whole thing by hand.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Kenshin posted:

Oh my god she's not even grumpy in the morning, she just shoves her head toward me for more scritches

In the evenings Hannah demands head scratches. Mrs. Joe Don can spend up to an hour doing that and then Hannah screams until I get him or hurls himself off the recliner and walks to me so that I can scratch him. I'll spend maybe an hour doing that and he just sits on the corner of my desk and chills for a while. After his evening snack, which is usually a piece of toast and peanut butter, he preens and gets ready for bed.

It's hilarious that he has such a set routine every day.

To the guy above contemplating a grey, they are fun but a lot of work just like any other larger and intelligent parrot.

Hannah's never had a problem with plucking or any neurotic behavior. He's just spoiled rotten. He's also pretty good about dealing with other people. We have some friends who watch him when we go out of town and he has a ball whenever he goes over.

A question for the other Grey owners: Is your Grey cuddly? We've had Hannah since he was a baby. He loves us and enjoys interacting with people, but he is far from cuddly. I can scratch his head, but I dare not touch any other part of his body. I don't know if that's typical behavior or not.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 5, 2012

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Yeah Hannah LOVES cheese. He gets a little square every so often.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I don't have another pet to find out. Hannah does however, prefer food that comes right off my plate. I can make him a little dish with what we're having. He'll just toss everything but if I give him something off my plate, which is the same freakin thing I just gave him, he'll eat the hell out of it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Pile of Kittens posted:

They don't work for nails, and they can cause foot problems, so it's better to towel her. Here's a really good pictorial guide to using a towel and velcro restraint:
http://www.hari.ca/first-aid-practice-makes-perfect-when-it-comes-to-towel-restraint/

That's what we do for Hannah. He hates it even after all these years. He will be upset for about an hour afterwards, so we give him some treats and then he's fine.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

That's awesome. I have the feeling my Grey would just think 'gently caress this poo poo' and just yell for a human to pick him up and take him where he wants to go.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Have you tried putting on some music or TV for Iroh? My bird loves that stuff and will sing and dance. Maybe that will keep it occupied for a while. Birds are definitely social creatures. There's been plenty of times where I'm trying to do some work and the buzzard climbs all over the keyboard or gets right in front of me so I can't type.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

That's beautiful but I'd be creeped out having a replica of my African Grey hanging around like that.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I always feel like a bad parent when I put my bird to bed. It's like I'm totally ruining his night.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Haven't posted Hannah in a while. Here he is being all dark and mysterious. I can't remember the last time I let his wings get this long.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Hannah has developed this weird but endearing behavior. If the Mrs. goes to bed before he does, he flips out. He turns himself towards the direction of the bedroom and starts to lean forward and flap his wings. He doesn't really know how to fly so he just acts like he is going to leap off any second. He just acts really anxious. I actually have to pick him up, take him to the bedroom, and show him that she is asleep. After that he behaves normally. It's super strange but that's what I get for raising a bird to function as a family member instead of a pet.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Pile of Kittens posted:

Well, usually he's there to make sure she's getting to bed properly. He just needs to make sure that she's tucked in and content, and then he can get on with his evening. At least, that's the only way I can imagine the usual high inspector superintendent Grey personality would be getting so weird about bedtime.

Yeah that's definitely what it is. I'm just puzzled why he's just started this recently. It's not a huge deal. It's funny more than anything else.

I'm actually very relieved he likes her. Our family had the bird since he was a baby in the mid 90's so in a lot of ways he's like my kid brother. The Mrs. is a relatively new addition and we've only had the bird full time since the spring. He definitely likes her and in fact prefers head scratches from her.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Kenshin posted:

She was wrong. Very wrong.

This is going to sound really harsh but it's absolutely true: you are slowly killing your little friend by having them on a seed diet. Eventually she will get fatty liver disease or something else and die. Seeds are a very high fat content diet! You should switch completely off of seeds. Your bird may be rather angry for a bit about this change but high-fat all-seed diets are very bad for parrots and other similar birds.

Are Nutriberries acceptable? I'm trying to get Hannah off seeds but he didn't really dig the Zupreem pellets. I've bought some small bags of Nutriberries for treats and he loves them. Apparently they can be used to 100% replace seeds. Good idea?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

With my Grey, the best way to make a bird 'forget' something is to COMPLETELY ignore it when it makes the sound.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Man, I know that bird is trained and all, but I'd be scared to death of it flying away and something bad happening.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Pookah posted:

Pookie has lately been introduced to roasted, unsalted, shell-on pistachios and she is craaaazy about them, as in, she starts leaning and wheeping when she hears the bag rustle. When she actaully gets one she makes her "This food is delicious" noise with one tucked into her lower beak.

Pistachios drive Hannah nuts

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Oh I know about popcorn. It's crazy. I'm pretty sure he doesn't even eat it. He just breaks it apart and dumps it everywhere.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Pile of Kittens posted:

Aaaahaahaaa, good to know I'm not the only one that makes that grumpycat face at birds.

It's scary when my Grey makes the same face back though.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Not sure why but Hannah just spent 10 minutes making nasty fart, burp, and cough noises.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Pookah posted:

Pookie's very into her weird litle noises; if you eat something she really likes, she make human-style chewing noises at you until you give her some. She also burps a lot, squeaks like the kichen door every time you open it, does a perfect "download finished" ringing sound, snuffles like the dog if she's on the floor, twitters like the budgie if I'm paying the little bird too much attention, beeps like the microwave, and her latest is totally unidentifiable - she's taken to saying "WEHHHH!" very loudly to get attention.

She's a weirdo an african grey. :)

They definitely pick up the weirdest sounds but a lot of times it makes perfect sense why they start mimicking them.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Pookah posted:

Pookie is so silly. It's 10:10 at night here and she has decided to go to war with a paper bag instead of drowsing quietly before bed.

Leave the bag along bird; It is not an evil bag (like the one I meanly used to trap you that one time a year ago).

Seriously.

She is still very pissed off with all paper bags after an unfortunate incident where I thought she thought being snagged in a bag was funny but she didn't and I got bitten and now she tries to massacre all brown paper bags pretty much on sight.

Hannah is afraid of ANYTHING white because for a long time we'd use a white towel to wrap him for wing & nail trimmings.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

marshmallard posted:

Peep used to burble to imitate the running water <3

Same with my Grey. He even does the sound of someone drinking to let you know he wants some of whatever is in your cup.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I've seen that look a million times. I'm glad all those birds have a good home. Makes me sad when I see a bare parrot because of neglect.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Frogmanv2 posted:

So do you guys have some ideas for homemade stuff to put in an outdoor cage? I have got a whole bunch of branches and stuff, and the toys from his last cage, but there is just so much more space to fill.

Do you have something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Super-Bird-Creations-2-Inch-52-Inch/dp/B00061UX2I/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1359348784&sr=8-4&keywords=bird+rope+toy

Birds love that sorta thing. They'll swing, hang, growl, and have all sorts of fun with it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

My mom found a pretty good method.

She uses a laundry basket like this.

She'll put the bird in the basket and of course he'll start to climb out. When his toes are exposed on the outside she can grab the toe just enough to trim the nail. Of course it's done gently. It's actually funny watching the bird realize he's been duped.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I had a lovebird that would masturbate on the window curtains and he once did it to an old lady's head of hair.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Battle Pigeon posted:

Did the old lady realise what was happening?

She made comments like "Oh he really likes me. He's so tame and sweet." It was pretty hilarious once we all , with the exception of the old person, realized what he was doing.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxDvxW8ZKJM

This woman is insane. I've listened to her on the show and didn't realize she had a Grey. She needs to have those pets taken away. I feel bad for the bird. :(

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Hannah can be a little snot, but at the end of the day, all he wants is to be with his family.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Oh man that little Grey is so cute. Good luck getting mine to stay on his back like that.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

unprofessional posted:

I heard somebody describe it as greys are a lot like cats. Their owners love them, they're fairly smart, and a bit more quiet than other pets, but they don't give two shits if you live or die. Macaws are more like dogs, loud, a bit dumb, and completely lovable.

I don't know if that's true. My brother hasn't lived here for years and the Grey still calls for him. He also misses the cat my parents have. He also asks for my mom and dad sometimes. He definitely notices if someone isn't around. Hell, when my wife takes a nap or something he HAS to go in the bedroom just to check on her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

From tonight's 'chill out and watch hockey' session.

Zombie Hannah demands head scratches