Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
Since you mentioned that Steve poops on people, I have a question (maybe it could go in the OP): Can birds be toilet trained? Is it just some species? Are they easy to train, like cats and rabbits, or is it really difficult? Is there a standard way to do it?

Also, what's the word on owning both cats and a bird? Is it crazy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

Pile of Kittens posted:

How are you holding up, uglynoodles?

Seconded. I don't even have a bird, but your posts broke my heart this morning. I really, truly hope you're doing better. And that the breeder gives you your money back.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I think realistically I enjoy the idea of bird ownership more than I would enjoy it for real. I actually gave myself a panic attack the other day thinking about what I would do if I accidentally hurt or killed a bird that I only owned in my imagination.

The realities about noise and poop and needing to provide constant attention and care for something that could live for 20 years or more makes my head spin. I can't even keep a houseplant alive for more than a few months.

edit: I think my current obsession is just coming from some misplaced urge to have children.

Are we the same person?

We're starting to think harder about getting a budgie. But the idea still terrifies/excites me.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
I'm in trouble.

My husband and I both bonded (independently!) with the same cockatiel at the pet store. She's (I think it's a girl based on behavior) really quiet and sweet, and climbs all around her cage to hang out with us. She's constantly trying to gently beak/lick us and played some weird game where she'd peep when my husband pointed at her. She's awesome.

But I think I might be allergic... I posted in The Goon Doctor, but basically: I got pretty sick with allergy symptoms while we were at the store last night, and I still haven't stopped sneezing, 17 hours and lots of allergy meds later. However, I didn't get sick when I spent 2 hours at the local bird shelter (full of dusty, unbathed cockatoos) Monday, and I haven't had allergies any other time I've visited birds. I actually went twice yesterday, and only got sick the second time. Plus I don't get bumpy or red when they scratch/bite me.

I really want this bird. I also really don't want to bring this bird home only to get sick and have to get rid of her.

Does anyone have friends that are allergic to birds? Does it usually last for a day after bird exposure? What should I do?