Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Deadly Chlorine posted:

Indeed, when I saw his picture my heart just melted and I needed to have a blue throat conure. So adorable :3:

My friend keeps several lovebirds and they entertain each other pretty well, maybe you could look into keeping more than one small parrot? Though in your situation I would advise finches though. They can be tamed to like scratches and all that, my other friend has a bulbul and a canary and a whydah that will just chill on his hand, eat food and let him rub their heads. :3:

EDIT: Oh my god I cannot stand the adorableness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvRzAUNlXt0

I swear to god all ringnecks are born adorable and stay that way. They'll eat your finger, but still. :3:

That video just reminds me of how incredibly annoying Peep was about trying to bite/nibble/climb into my mouth. ALL THE TIME.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
There's a little note at the bottom re the photos:

"Note: As much as we wanted to share real photos from real people of their sleeping birds in snuggle huts, people felt slandered having their names on such photos that they would openly share on a facebook page so we decided to use the product pictures instead from stores that sell these."

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Trauma Tank posted:

Awesome new thread, unfortunately I haven't had time to keep up on my reading of any of my favourite threads due to work, but I just had to drop in to say hi and post these pictures of Peep being awesomely lovey.

These were just the pictures I could get. She was also rubbing her head on my neck, then furiously nibbling my neck anytime I had the temerity to move. She was also trying to preen the hairs on my mousehand earlier.

Strange, adorable bird!

Woohoo! Made my evening :)

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Agent355 posted:

My cockatiel who is typically very friendly and only very minorly aggressive is becoming a butt for the past few days. We have a budgie who likes to hang around the cockatiel, normally the cockatiel only tolerates the budgie until the little guy goes to far and he chases him off. Right now however the cockatiel is actively chasing the budgie the second he sees him to lunge at him. I've seperated them whenever I see this for the last few days.

The cockatiel has also been rubbing his vent on things far more frequently than normal and being aggressive toward hands. I'm assuming he's just getting hormonal right now for whatever reason.

Whats the best way to deal with a bird when they get like this and how long does it typically last?

For the record the bird is like 16 years old now so it's not puberty.

Lots more sleep usually sorts it out - is he getting twelve full hours of total darkness? If not, start there.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Grisly Grotto posted:

I was training my potato bird to run through a tube for a while. Despite initially hating it, he got the hang of it fairly quick.

Come to think of it, that's not a particularly impressive trick. :unsmith:

Ha ha, not really! Try STOPPING Peep from running through the nearest cardboard tube.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Pile of Kittens posted:

loving hell. She's back down to 54 g, but not fluffy at least. And she refuses to eat her pellets. Think I should try soaking them in soymilk? She loves my granola when it's in that.

Soaking pellets in orange juice and later, warm water was the only way I could get Peep to eat pellets at first.

I'd suggest warming the soy milk, soaking some pellets in it, then when they're soft, mashing them up into a nice, warm, milky mash. She might well like that.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
I had a dream that I won a competition and the competition people came to my house with champagne and left the cork off and Peep went in the bottle and drowned :(

Peep pictures please! I miss that birdy.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
Trauma Tank, where are you? :(

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
Peep used to burble to imitate the running water <3

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
Peep goes BALLISTIC if you play Whitney Houston's "Your Love is My Love". Beep used to like "United States of Eurasia" by Muse - I still can't hear the breakdown part of that song without hearing "Eurasia" "BEEP BEEP"

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
Ahh that reminded me of when Peep used to talk, before I got Beep. She used to love saying "birdy birdy birdy birdy" over and over, and she'd day "who's a pretty bird" (though mostly just "who's a").

I wish I'd got it on video.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
Oh crikey, you're going to have a fight on your hands when you tell him the free cage from his parents won't work...

Has he ever said why he wants a parrotlet specifically? Not the usual choice of starter bird.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
Bird Crazies: electricgoat's roommate is a plankton

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
I met my uncle's budgie today and it made me miss Peep sooo much.

I love birds :(

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Marshmallow Blue posted:

I've yet to have Maru's wings clipped. When we got her as a baby at the store, they had been done but she hasn't had them done yet. I think its cruel. Sure it doesn't hurt; But what if someone came an chopped off your primary mode of transportation (your legs) and said, Don't worry they'll grow back in a while, and in the meantime you had to use your arms to get around; until they get chopped off again. Very stressful life if you asked me.

This is a crappy analogy. It's more like cutting your fingernails short. Yes, it's harder to scratch, but it's also harder to cut yourself on a hangnail.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Marshmallow Blue posted:

I would say that's a crappy analogy, as cutting your fingernail short doesn't inhibit your ability to say... get off the floor once your on it because you wanted to check something out.

Actually that depends on how much you clip. When my budgies' wings were clipped, they had no trouble getting up off the floor. Don't forget they can climb, too.

Honestly, you're not coming off well in this thread. You seem angry and you feed your bird junk food, so you're not really in a position to give bird care advice.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
Peep went on proper hunger strike when I started her on pellets but we got there in the end. Soaking them in orange juice and mashing them up helped, then we moved on to water, then dry pellets.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
We had the same kitchen/living room setup at my old flat and the budgies lived in there with no problems. Just make sure to ventilate and don't use non-stick stuff or strong cleaning chemicals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Was upstairs playing with Twist, teaching him that bells make cool noises when you boop them. Came downstairs. Hour later, I hear a thud and go racing upstairs because I thought maybe something fell in his room.

Something did.

It was him. Dead, in the bottom of his cage on his tummy. His legs and feet were settled like he was perched still, not all curled up and tight like I'd expect. Eyes still open. And his head was completely limp on his neck. I don't know if that's normal. He'd only been here a week and I hadn't cooked on anything nonstick since then. I made sure our heater didn't have teflon in it. He was eating when I left him, but he was over near his water bowl when I found him. He wasn't acting off at all when I was up there with him.

He was here for a week and I kinda feel like someone just punched me in the gut.

Nooo, he was the best twisty-beaked budgie I ever saw :( I'm really sorry. At least you saved him from the overgrown beak of doom and made his last days happy and fun.