Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Good looking out. Thanks for the tip. Finally dived in after my free trial ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
After months, I've touched code again. I fixed my dreadful Audio Analyzer app by adding a flexible sample rate converter, because some people seem to be using 192KHz and other funky sampling rates on their lovely tablet mikes for no good reason, and thus rendering the app inoperable (because it expects 44.1 and 48KHz only). It'll take a few days to go through certification.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

After months, I've touched code again. I fixed my dreadful Audio Analyzer app by adding a flexible sample rate converter, because some people seem to be using 192KHz and other funky sampling rates on their lovely tablet mikes for no good reason, and thus rendering the app inoperable (because it expects 44.1 and 48KHz only). It'll take a few days to go through certification.

Are you getting many downloads/revenue on the store?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Not exactly the type of apps that'd bring much money. That's total values since October 2012. I'm not exactly whoring these apps out, tho. I think I've posted them here and on XDA a long while ago. Another problem is, for every decent and good looking app, there'll be at least 10 free ad-supported alternatives of varying quality. The unlimited trial bullshit in Audio Analyzer seems to work the best. v:(v

I'm wanting to do so much things. For one, I've finally written a new WASAPI library to make the audio apps not crap out due to PEBKACs with stupid audiophile settings. I'm waiting for the spectrum analyzer to pass to focus on moving Synth onto it. I'm not sure about Weightless, I'd rather not touch it with a ten feet pole. I also want to rewrite Synth's synthesizer core in C++, because the original became an unmaintainable mess, when I unrolled all code to get the ARM version performing. .NET sucks for highly granular modular code. There's also that fully modular one I started a while ago, which would serve as base for the rewrite. And I kind of want to clone YNAB, because these idiots refuse to a variety of cashflow features due to conflict with their budgeting mentality.

For that YNAB clone, I had a prototype of an app with working accounts, registers and simple pie charts, but at some point I threw the towel (I think the last drop were the idiotic file handling, and how complicated it was to switch item templates when a list item got focus). And I don't think the rather low prospective monetary gains would justify the huge effort for this, plus ADHD might get the better of me a second time.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Not exactly the type of apps that'd bring much money.

Have you considered using the Xamarin products and bringing them to Android and iOS? I found it super easy to program Android in Visual Studio using Xamarin for Android, and was told by the other developers that for iOS it was very simple also.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

How does that work for C++/CX code? My audio backend is in C++ because of necessity, because Microsoft refuses to bring managed APIs for audio (beyond simple playback of soundfiles).

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

Combat Pretzel posted:

How does that work for C++/CX code? My audio backend is in C++ because of necessity, because Microsoft refuses to bring managed APIs for audio (beyond simple playback of soundfiles).

Is that necessity your use of WASAPI? I did that from VB.Net for WinRT using pinvoke...
http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/460145/Recording-and-playing-PCM-audio-on-Windows-8-VB

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I suppose that works, but I find a proper implementation in C++ looks cleaner. When I'm done streamlining it, I might post the source code.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Stick100 posted:

Have you considered using the Xamarin products and bringing them to Android and iOS? I found it super easy to program Android in Visual Studio using Xamarin for Android, and was told by the other developers that for iOS it was very simple also.

I don't have the Visual Studio support license, but Mono on iOS is indeed quite good. They are quite rapid with getting their APIs up to date and are quite nice to work with. Xamarin Studio is no where near as complete as visual studio, but since the core of my apps are written their anyway, porting them over with it was pretty easy. My only issue is me working to actually finish my apps.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Oh hey, Windows 8.1 builds of apps use a binary XAML format. No more easy stealing of XAML.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Oh hey, Windows 8.1 builds of apps use a binary XAML format. No more easy stealing of XAML.

There is a decent chance that they encrypt/obfuscate once they hit the store too. MS started doing that by default on WP awhile ago.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

I've never tried but I believe it should just work for Android at least. To my understanding for Android and iOS Xamarian is effectively a precompiler compiler and should port the code over. For c++ I would assume it would package it up first. On WP when I did C++ I still had to reach back to c# to interface with much of the OS so that would be compatible.

I believe you can use the products for free to test and see how it will work in the compiler.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The catch about C++ would probably be the unavailability of any native APIs that aren't part of WinRT. You can access quite some native Windows APIs in WinRT apps, whose presence on Android I rather doubt. The lower level audio stuff probably one of these. As said, if Microsoft would supply a proper WinRT API for this, Xamarin had something to clone.

Stick100 posted:

There is a decent chance that they encrypt/obfuscate once they hit the store too. MS started doing that by default on WP awhile ago.
My main concern is hiding away the uglyness of the code, for anyone digging in the appropriate places. :shobon:

Also, here's an interesting one: Unless you add specific localizations, your apps may not display in the Windows Stores in a different system language. Means your en-US app will not show in Germany, unless the user specifically went into the Windows Store options and enabled results from all markets. Or followed a web link to the store. I'm currently adding a German translation to my spectrum analyzer. Let's see how that influences the sales.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 9, 2014

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

Combat Pretzel posted:

The catch about C++ would probably be the unavailability of any native APIs that aren't part of WinRT. You can access quite some native Windows APIs in WinRT apps, whose presence on Android I rather doubt. The lower level audio stuff probably one of these. As said, if Microsoft would supply a proper WinRT API for this, Xamarin had something to clone.

I thought the point of Xamarin was NOT to provide uniform abstraction layers? So if you're writing an iOS+WP8 app, then you'll use iOS UI APIs for one version and WP8/Silverlight APIs for the other version. I believe that devs typically do MVVM where the VM goes in partial classes, e.g. "wp8-vm.cs" and "ios-vm.cs". I don't think Xamarin's cloning stuff outside the core parts of .NET, and even that becomes less important as .NET moves into NuGet.

(caveat: this is all my impression from reading articles about modern xamarin, but I haven't actually used xamarin since 2007 when I wrote console apps in it and it was called something else...)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Ugh, that bug of mine is rearing itself even worse on ARM. I don't even see how I'm going to reproduce it in a separate project. I just hope that VS2013 SP1 goes final pretty soon. Seems more a compiler issue that may go away with SP1. I had to hack up the worst offender in three parts for x86 to remove the MethodImpl, and it isn't that big of a function.

--edit: I must have hit the jackpot with compiler breakage, considering I have two identical functions. One breaks, one doesn't. The difference between them is one does a single additional single integer division.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 9, 2014

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

Combat Pretzel posted:

Ugh, that bug of mine is rearing itself even worse on ARM. I don't even see how I'm going to reproduce it in a separate project. I just hope that VS2013 SP1 goes final pretty soon. Seems more a compiler issue that may go away with SP1. I had to hack up the worst offender in three parts for x86 to remove the MethodImpl, and it isn't that big of a function.

--edit: I must have hit the jackpot with compiler breakage, considering I have two identical functions. One breaks, one doesn't. The difference between them is one does a single additional single integer division.

(I'm on the VB/C# compiler team) This doesn't sound like a compiler bug to me, and I don't think we have any fixes in the pipeline for SP1 that are anywhere related to this. What you've said (especially ARM being worse) makes it seem like a JIT bug.

If you can't make a small repro, but are willing to give MS a copy of your entire project, we can work on it that way. Best way is to file a Connect bug and attach the source code there - you can mark the bug as Private so that other people can't see your source code. Or you could email the code to me directly, email domain "microsoft.com", email alias "lwischik", and I'll make sure it gets to the right people.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yeah, you're right. I've found the issue. Turns out the renderer and the image code were deadlocking. I rewrote the backbuffer code to work with two alternating WriteableBitmaps, allowing me to drop all the lovely sync code, now it seems to work. Smoother framerate, too. Still interesting that the deadlock only happened when the debugger was not present.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

ljw1004 posted:

(I'm on the VB/C# compiler team)
You don't happen to know what happens when you pass arrays across the WinRT ABIs (between C++/CX and C#), whether it copies the content, or whether it is just referenced?

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Are there any good Markdown editors anyone would recommend? The store seems to still be the wasteland it was a year ago, as far as I can tell. I just tried WritePlus which seemed to be pretty good at first, until I tried to edit a file and discovered it can't open .md or .markdown files :downsgun:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Seems to be a trivial issue, have you contacted the developer to add the .md and .markdown wildcards to his app?

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Seems to be a trivial issue, have you contacted the developer to add the .md and .markdown wildcards to his app?

That's not a bad idea. However, issues like that make me assume that the developer has no idea what they're doing, and I'd rather not use an app that may or may not have more trivial issues that render my existing files unusable.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
They're giving away 7 games in the store.

Avengers Initiative
Toy Story Smash It!
Where's My Water?
Monsters University
Where's My Mickey? XL
Where's My Perry
Wreck-it Ralph

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

I finally got around to porting Awful.xap to Windows 8.1:

(Click for huge)

Once I add some quality of life stuff, I'll throw it on the store.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Are you working with drasticactions on his 8.1 app or is this two completely separate things? Wouldn't want one of you to waste all of that work. :(

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Autumncomet posted:

Are you working with drasticactions on his 8.1 app or is this two completely separate things? Wouldn't want one of you to waste all of that work. :(

They're two separate things. I wanted to improve my JavaScript skills, so I took a crack at WinJS. This will probably be a one off thing that I work on at my leisure, while drasticactions has the SA community (including me) to support him.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Cool!

It means you can release Awful.xap faster. :getin:

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

bootleg robot posted:

They're two separate things. I wanted to improve my JavaScript skills, so I took a crack at WinJS. This will probably be a one off thing that I work on at my leisure, while drasticactions has the SA community (including me) to support him.

That UI looks absolutely amazing. I'm working on too much poo poo at one time, I keep getting distracted with work and my other apps to get back to my version. I really gotta get my rear end into gear. :getin:

Autumncomet posted:

Wouldn't want one of you to waste all of that work. :(

Knowledge is never wasted. We can share what we've learned together to get everything up to speed. Hell, everything we have right now is on my Github for all to mess with.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

bootleg robot posted:

(Click for huge)

Nice. I love the Nextgen Reader UI.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Call Me Charlie posted:

Nice. I love the Nextgen Reader UI.

I do, too! At first, I started going for a Flipboard-ish look first, but it didn't work well for the desktop. Nextgen (or MS Outlook, or any three panel layout that came before MS Outlook) makes use of all screen real estate, and looks good on all screens. I haven't tested it in portrait, though.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
New to windows 8. Is it common for apps to hang in the download screen. Happened yesterday to Facebook. Now today I am trying to install Weatherbug and Nextgen Reader and they just get stuck at pending.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Do we have a list of good metro nonpuzzle games?

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

PerrineClostermann posted:

Do we have a list of good metro nonpuzzle games?

Halo: Spartan Assault ($7), Pacman ($10), Asphalt 7 & 8 ($2 each) are all good.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I'd also recommend Uno & Friends (free), Rayman: Jungle Run ($2.99) and Hill Climb Racing (free)

SonicYooth
Jun 13, 2005
Can anyone tell me whether or not you can change which calendar an event belongs to in the Calendar app? I'm able to do it from the web but it seems like a really basic thing to leave out of the app. Is this the case?

General E
Aug 25, 2003

Seconding Rayman Jungle Run. Skulls of the Shogun is good and Armed! is excellent.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Tom Foolery
Jul 9, 2011

no seriously

bootleg robot posted:

(Click for huge)

That looks sweet man.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
wpcentral does a great job of highlighting new apps and updates in the Windows Store.

http://www.wpcentral.com/category/windows-8-appsgames

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
What's the best epub3/pdf reading app for the Surface Pro? I'd like one that supports markup with highlighting with the stylus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomtuba
Jul 1, 2009

bootleg robot posted:

I do, too! At first, I started going for a Flipboard-ish look first, but it didn't work well for the desktop. Nextgen (or MS Outlook, or any three panel layout that came before MS Outlook) makes use of all screen real estate, and looks good on all screens. I haven't tested it in portrait, though.

It looks good in Portrait mode as well. It really is optimized for any and all situations! It's one of the only Metro apps I use on my desktop.

• Locked thread