Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Cleretic posted:

It's like the missing link between Ulililia and Chris-Chan, but with none of Chris-Chan's creepiness.

He's definitely got at least a little of Chris-Chan's creepiness. They just briefly mentioned it in the episode, but women being decapitated is a recurring theme in his...work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

I think that Oscar speech was written by Frank Booth.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

I think my favorite title is "Acquire the Spiritual Energy of a Tiny Dead Pharaoh."

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

I'm flying in from North Carolina. Airfare is going to be a bitch, but I'm splitting an AirBnB with some friends, so that'll be cheap at least.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

I couldn't even breathe during Kumquat's reading. Those loving voices were something else.

For those of you who were there, I was the guy who caught the stuffed cow.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

For me, nothing will ever beat Toast cracking up at "50 unbreakable g-strings" in the wedgie episode.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Which one was the one where Toast makes a Get Out joke? I remember not getting it because I hadn't seen the movie, but now I have, so I want to go back and listen to that episode.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Sham bam bamina! posted:

cramming all their imaginary bullshit into the same shared space

This is the part that actually does make sense to me, at least in theory. I get the appeal of having your imaginary bullshit coexist with other people’s, but only if you actually want to collaborate with them. You know, have your fake country border someone else’s, write some bullshit about how their shared history, that kind of thing.

What makes it weird is that no one seems to want to do that? They put all their bullshit in the same place, but none of it seems to interact until someone wants to make Quebec independent. It’s like an improv group, but everyone is just independently improvising their own scenarios.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

I think the missing piece of the “first boner” theory is that the fetish object has to have some kind of connection to an emotion that is either related or adjacent to sex.

I think for sploshing that emotion is the thrill of breaking social norms, in this case playing with your food and making a mess, which is something that basically every kid gets told not to do at some point. I guess some of us are more affected by that than others?

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Which episode was it that had the “man has the PENIS to satisfy the WOMAN” chant? I was recently thinking of that (as I often do) and couldn’t remember the context at all.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Why is it that Not Always Right and also Reddit specifically seem to produce the same type of bad storytelling? It’s especially egregious with the stories in theses episodes because they’re barely stories, but people on both of these websites always 1) give way too much background info that doesn’t matter to the story at all, and 2) use way too many hyperbolic comparisons and flowery descriptions that destroy any sense of pacing the story might have had.

It’s not that I don’t get why someone would do these things. I know I’ve been guilty of the first one when telling stories in person, although when I do it over text I usually go back and edit before posting. And I guess the second one makes sense if you’re trying to make a boring story interesting.

But I feel like other websites have different kinds of bad storytelling. I’ve seen plenty of fake and poorly-told stories on Twitter, Tumblr, etc., and they don’t display these exact tropes so consistently.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

That could be it. I also wonder if the fact that they circulate based on the titles is part of it, kind of another version of the clickbait tactic. “Clickbait” not necessarily in the sense that the title is misleading, but more like “you clicked because of the title and now you have to read my boring, overlong story.”

That’s the only explanation I can come up with as to why the fake viral stories on other websites are written better. All the infamous fake Tumblr stories are pretty concise, presumably because people didn’t reblog them before reading the whole thing. Twitter threads aren’t necessarily concise, but they usually have better pacing because at least one thing needs to happen per tweet.

Basically what I’m saying is that everyone on Not Always Right and Reddit is even worse at writing bullshit stories than the Bean Dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Of all the ridiculous diets covered on this podcast, I think this one has the least internal logic. Even though they keep referring back to this Aajonus guy as an authority, it really just sounds like they’re making it up as they go.