Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

WhiffleballDude posted:

Chapter 17's out.

I don't think I'm a huge fan of this one, to be perfectly honest. I wish it had been the kids who saved the day instead of Koro-sensei, but whatever I guess.

When that dude's face got hit or whatever, I thought that Korosensei had literally snapped his neck over, and I was kind of shocked that they'd let that happen in a WSJ manga.

But he wasn't. What a relief! Still, I liked this chapter for being able to see his scary violent side. Korosensei really is a creepy monster when he wants to be!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Autumncomet posted:

I really want that Koro-sensei plushie.

Second. And he's the best teacher, the way he handled the 'badass punks'. :allears:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

WhiffleballDude posted:

Chapter 17's out.

I don't think I'm a huge fan of this one, to be perfectly honest. I wish it had been the kids who saved the day instead of Koro-sensei, but whatever I guess.

I think it was fine, and they beat the poo poo out of them with the books at the end.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

WhiffleballDude posted:

Chapter 17's out.

Well they kinda established in the previous chapter that these high-school kids had a huge size and strength advantage because of their age. Sure the kids are probably faster from all their assassination training, but unless they have real knives it's not going to do them a lot of good if they can't do any real damage. And then there is the problem of having a bunch of middle-schoolers gutting people like fish in Shonen Jump.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
This manga sure has a lot of horrifying sociopaths in it! and oh man, Koro-sensei emoticons. I want them

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Falls Down Stairs posted:

and oh man, Koro-sensei emoticons. I want them

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
This is a pretty good satire of the Japanese educational system. It peeks in just around the edges of the black comedy but there's a subtext of how horrifyingly flawed the system is. To me it's very telling where a story whose plot is for Japanese kids to kill their teacher is rapidly gaining huge popularity. Almost like there's intense frustration against the opaque Japanese educational system that people need release over.

That and the teacher is able to engage students in learning by challenging them to kill him - almost in effigy of the poo poo system.

Everyone is hedging on the outcome of the manga I'm sure - I don't think it will end with the world being destroyed or even the sensei being killed. More likely it will end with the students growing into pretty cool folks and faith in humanity somehow being restored. But before that a lot of brinksmanship where everything is on the edge of destruction and escalation.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 11, 2012

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Yet another chapter

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

This continues to be the most bizarrely heartwarming manga.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

I wonder who ordered a hit on Elmo.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

"a creature born only to be impervious to assassination" :stare: That sounds like a big hint. And somehow all of these weaknesses have to be used later!

Hey, all of the chapters have "Time" in the title. :v: Really hits with that sense of urgency, I guess.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Autumncomet posted:

"a creature born only to be impervious to assassination" :stare: That sounds like a big hint. And somehow all of these weaknesses have to be used later!

I would love if the ultimate plan to assassinate him (or at least a major such plan) legitimately incorporates every such weakness that's mentioned.

Also: how come we got two chapters this week?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

I wonder who ordered a hit on Elmo.

Maybe it's just because of all the poo poo on my Facebook wall, but my first thought was Romney took out a hit on Sesame Street.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Also: how come we got two chapters this week?

The group's just behind on scanning the series, for some reason. It's just something that happens a lot when a series starts getting scanned. Both of these chapters are from previous Jumps, and they'll be caught up with the next chapter.

As for the last two chapters, I was liking how at the end of 16 it seemed to be hinting that we would see some of the results of the assassination training. And then comes 17 and Koro-sensei does 90% of the work.

Part of why I'm still not so pumped for this series is I can't tell who the protagonist is supposed to be. If it's Koro-sensei, then I'd say he's a boring protagonist. If it's Nagisa or another student, then this series seems to be a "loser trains in something to become cool" story, and you can run the risk of the loser never actually becoming not a loser, like in Reborn or Kenichi. Chapter 17 would have been better in my opinion if the students did just a little more.

And chapter 18 was...OK, I guess?

So right now, I'm not liking AssClass, but in a "Nothing's bad, but what I'm reading just isn't making me want to keep reading" way. I'm not mad this series is doing so well in the Jump rankings like I am with Nisekoi, which I think is actually terrible.

EDIT: Added my thoughts on chapters and the series in general.

Kuroyama fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 12, 2012

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

According to this post, the translation was delayed due to Sandy.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Maybe it's just because of all the poo poo on my Facebook wall, but my first thought was Romney took out a hit on Sesame Street.
But Romney rebooted after his concession speech. Surely heart.exe grew just a bit that day... :smith:

I would love if the ultimate plan to assassinate him (or at least a major such plan) legitimately incorporates every such weakness that's mentioned.
It'd be one hell of a red herring if they weren't incorporated at all, and I can't think of another reason for them to be explicitly noted by the protagonist and mentioned at all.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Autumncomet posted:

It'd be one hell of a red herring if they weren't incorporated at all, and I can't think of another reason for them to be explicitly noted by the protagonist and mentioned at all.

The reason is comedy.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Samurai Korosensei :allears:. And the bullet-removing pads made me laugh a lot. Great chapter!

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Kuroyama posted:

Part of why I'm still not so pumped for this series is I can't tell who the protagonist is supposed to be. If it's Koro-sensei, then I'd say he's a boring protagonist. If it's Nagisa or another student, then this series seems to be a "loser trains in something to become cool" story, and you can run the risk of the loser never actually becoming not a loser, like in Reborn or Kenichi. Chapter 17 would have been better in my opinion if the students did just a little more.

And chapter 18 was...OK, I guess?

So right now, I'm not liking AssClass, but in a "Nothing's bad, but what I'm reading just isn't making me want to keep reading" way. I'm not mad this series is doing so well in the Jump rankings like I am with Nisekoi, which I think is actually terrible.

While I don't agree with this in that I've had plenty of fun with the series so far (I love the blend of a "well meaning teacher helps struggling students"-type plot with the liberal dollop of black comedy we've got going here) I can definitely see why someone would have those sorts of reservations; I think it's part and parcel with folks wondering precisely what direction that Matsui could be taking things earlier, because the obvious direction seems like it'd make the manga either terrible (which it hasn't been so far) or else really really short (which it doesn't seem it would be considering how much Jump is promoting it). You can't quite tell who the protagonist is supposed to be since we haven't quite been able to tell what overall trajectory of the story is going to be.

The critical leap that's committed me to sticking with this so far is actually the praise that Neuro has been getting in this thread. I think I'll read it to get a better idea of how Matsui goes about his business.

MayLanh
Apr 16, 2012

by angerbot
Assassination Classroom 19

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Only two hands once, huh? Interesting.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

The peeping on Korosensei while he's in the bath joke just floored me! An excellent chapter, if a bit uneventful.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Yeah, that was a really good chapter, and the "twist" at the end pretty much just confirmed everyone's speculation. :v:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Good chapter! Really liked the jokes and slowly but surely we inch closer to finding more about Koro-sensei...

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
I shouldn't be older than Bitch-sensei. :sweatdrop:

Pretty fun little chapter, overall!

I wonder how much the government actually knows about Koro-sensei. Karasuma this chapter confirms "more than they let on" at least. It seems the "he used to be human" theory is gaining popularity, though the flashback in the first chapter showed him already looking pretty monstrous but with two arms and legs.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

I shouldn't be older than Bitch-sensei. :sweatdrop:

Pretty fun little chapter, overall!

I wonder how much the government actually knows about Koro-sensei. Karasuma this chapter confirms "more than they let on" at least. It seems the "he used to be human" theory is gaining popularity, though the flashback in the first chapter showed him already looking pretty monstrous but with two arms and legs.

Given that they had weapons specially designed to kill him, I kind of assumed Koro-sensei was created (or at least modified) in a secret Japanese lab.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
He's made it pretty clear he was human once. Based on the comments about him wanting to be humanity's savior, I'm guessing he's either a mad scientist or some sort of government experiment gone wrong.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

There was a flashback on the first chapter i think? That shown a destroyed lab with a naked human amidst a pile of dead people. I am 100% sure that's Korosensei before he... Became slimy

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Just blasted through the last ten chapters. Korosensei: Best sensei.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Chapter 20

Transfer student!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Well that's certainly not what I was expecting.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I was not expecting that either. That transfer student... I like her.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Autonomously Thinking Fixed Artillery-san is the best transfer student.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Sakurazuka posted:

Autonomously Thinking Fixed Artillery-san is the best transfer student.
At least until the next transfer student arrives.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
I hope they never abbreviate her name and say the full thing every single time they have to mention her.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Transfer Student Kawaii-bishoujo Watson with guns

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Holy loving loly, Karasuma's face when introducing Autonomously Thinking Fixed Artillery is loving incredible. And the Macross-loving Captain that shot at Koro-sensei earlier. This loving Manga.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Certainly a creative take on the obligatory robot girl.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Certainly a creative take on the obligatory robot girl.

I hope someone has to wheel her around on a little cart or something.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

New best character? New best character.

Would a nuke work on Koro-sensei? I bet he could escape it easily enough by himself, but wouldn't he have to stay behind to protect his students and possible get injured enough that way to be taken out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Autumncomet posted:

New best character? New best character.

Would a nuke work on Koro-sensei? I bet he could escape it easily enough by himself, but wouldn't he have to stay behind to protect his students and possible get injured enough that way to be taken out?

I think Koro-sensei would just catch the nuke and bring it somewhere else to explode.

• Locked thread