Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Don't the EU versions of those also use the GBC processor to fix some speed issues too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I just started playing Bomberman Tournament on GBA, and while I have some issues with the menus and respawns (always at the beginning of the dungeon), I'm incredibly surprised at how good this game is. It's like a shallower Zelda with Bomberman as the combat system.

Also, why the hell did they call it Tournament? The main portion is a semi-open world adventure game.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Elliotw2 posted:

Don't the EU versions of those also use the GBC processor to fix some speed issues too?

The Castlevania Adventure now runs at something approaching an acceptable speed, yes.

I've got volume 1, 2, and 4 but haven't hunted down 3 yet. If you're in NA and Game Boy collecting they make fun imports. 1 and 4 have the two Game Boy Castlevania and Gradius games between them, and volume 2 has Parodius, which is a fantastic port.

If I go crazy I'm going to track down the Japanese releases for the Super Game Boy support. Gotta have them borders.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
8bitdo and Analogue have released a SNES version of the Retro Receiver they released for NES a while back. It's basically a dongle for the controller port that lets you use wireless Bluetooth controllers like the Wii U Pro controller, Dual Shock 4 or 8bitdo's own wireless replicas of old controllers.

Has anyone tried any of 8bitdo's stuff? I've always been tempted, and they seem to have decent reviews.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The Kins posted:

8bitdo and Analogue have released a SNES version of the Retro Receiver they released for NES a while back. It's basically a dongle for the controller port that lets you use wireless Bluetooth controllers like the Wii U Pro controller, Dual Shock 4 or 8bitdo's own wireless replicas of old controllers.

Has anyone tried any of 8bitdo's stuff? I've always been tempted, and they seem to have decent reviews.

I have the NES30, which has real good handfeel (at least in terms of replicating the NES controller), but it is occasionally a bit picky about going to sleep and waking up and turning on and/or off, especially if you're the sort of person who's going to play an RPG or something, put the controller down for a bit, type a bit into a chat window or something then come back a few minutes later. To wit, it's not always-on over USB, which is a bit idiotic. I've never used it over Bluetooth because I don't actually have anything that registers Bluetooth, I don't think.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

The Kins posted:

I have the Famicom and the Snes controllers and I've only ever used them for Bluetooth gaming on my Nvidia shield tablet, which I also have Nvidias controller made specifically for it.

The most common complaint I've read is lag when used with cellphones. I don't tend to play games where frame perfect timing is required so I can't attest to that. They work fine for RPGs and they look drat good doing it.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Discount Viscount posted:

The Castlevania Adventure now runs at something approaching an acceptable speed, yes.

I've got volume 1, 2, and 4 but haven't hunted down 3 yet. If you're in NA and Game Boy collecting they make fun imports. 1 and 4 have the two Game Boy Castlevania and Gradius games between them, and volume 2 has Parodius, which is a fantastic port.

If I go crazy I'm going to track down the Japanese releases for the Super Game Boy support. Gotta have them borders.

The numbering system is different on the Japanese ones so keep that in mind if you're looking for 2 and decide to get the Japanese one.

I don't NEED another series to collect at the moment, but I've enjoyed each of these on an Everdrive. Konami was such a great company back then.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
The closest thing to a photo I have of my setup 13-14 years ago, SuperGun off-screen with Raiden DX PCB into an old Amiga monitor, joystick seated on pull-out drawer

A CRT make life better.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

The Kins posted:

I got mine yesterday. I think the 8bitdo controllers have been talked about here before (they feel shockingly good) so I'll just comment on the SNES Retro Receiver.

It's real neat, but has some pretty significant compatibility issues that I hope get ironed out with a firmware update. And we're not just talking about some weird fringe SNES release that no one played, either. It currently doesn't work with Super Mario World, Super Mario All Stars, either model of the Super Game Boy, all 3 Donkey Kong Country Games, and a bunch of others. The games it does work with play surprisingly well. I've got an SNES30 controller paired with mine (haven't tested a DS4 or Wii U Pro Controller yet) and it feels really good. I'm sure there's some tiny amount of lag, but it's gotta be really, really low.

I also tried using it with the Raphnet SNES to Gamecube adapter I have for playing GBA games, and it was a total non-starter. It seems to work, but the buttons are all wrong. Up is down (really) and down is A, and B is left, it's all jumbled up and unplayable, which is a real bummer.

I ordered an NES receiver as well, but it hasn't shipped yet. Looks to be on backorder everywhere.

Edit: A new firmware for the SNES RR was posted to their forum today. I haven't tested everything yet, but it fixed SMW, SMAS, and DKC so far.

Edit 2: SGB1 and SGB2 are both working now too. Seems like this firmware is solid.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 30, 2016

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

Awesome thanks man. The colors do look pretty good based on those pictures.

I ended up ordered the converter to test it out. I'm going to do a side by side with my PVM and a 27" Trinitron. I'm curious to see the difference, if any.

beaver_cheese fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 30, 2016

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

MrLonghair posted:

The closest thing to a photo I have of my setup 13-14 years ago, SuperGun off-screen with Raiden DX PCB into an old Amiga monitor, joystick seated on pull-out drawer

A CRT make life better.

Good to know Amiga monitors sync with the weird Seibu refresh rate used in Raiden 2 and up, I've wanted a Viper Phase 1 board for a long time but was worried about what I'd play it on

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

There's something special about going to play a game and finding a trailer for an infamously unreleased game. I'm sure that Star Trek: Secret of Vulcan Fury won't miss that Winter 1998 release date!

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
See that just reminds me of the time Activision sued Paramount in the early 2000's for making Star Trek suck.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

It's been a while since I posted it here. Nice to be back with you guys.

Got a couple of questions for you guys.

What are the good Link's Awakening romhacks out there. I heard there's a New Awakening and Hard Awakening and that's the only good full hacks? Any others?

The new GBA everdrive coming, that looks like it's bigger than a gba cart. Confirm/deny? Would be nice if it sat flush in a gba (and a micro) but I have a feeling it doesn't.

Any good gameboy hacks out there besides just link's awakening? I'm in a serious game boy mood lately. I already have a GB everdrive, and the translation for 'the frog for whom the bell tolls' and the pokemong TGC team rocket translation.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Ineffiable posted:

It's been a while since I posted it here. Nice to be back with you guys.

Got a couple of questions for you guys.

What are the good Link's Awakening romhacks out there. I heard there's a New Awakening and Hard Awakening and that's the only good full hacks? Any others?

The new GBA everdrive coming, that looks like it's bigger than a gba cart. Confirm/deny? Would be nice if it sat flush in a gba (and a micro) but I have a feeling it doesn't.

Any good gameboy hacks out there besides just link's awakening? I'm in a serious game boy mood lately. I already have a GB everdrive, and the translation for 'the frog for whom the bell tolls' and the pokemong TGC team rocket translation.

Re: question 2, Krikzz posted some pics on his Twitter on July 3rd:

https://twitter.com/krikzz

Definitely bigger than a GBA cart. I don't get why this seems to be such a big concern for so many people, though.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Re: question 2, Krikzz posted some pics on his Twitter on July 3rd:

https://twitter.com/krikzz

Definitely bigger than a GBA cart. I don't get why this seems to be such a big concern for so many people, though.

stone age gamer pictures without any frame of reference make it look huge. Looking at those pictures it's not that much bigger so it'd still be kind of comfortable in a GBA micro. (the problem with the micro is, the cartridge slot is going to jut out into your palm.

Guess I'll order one, one of these days.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Because it's awkward in an SP or DS

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

fishmech posted:

Right, this is my point. It's awkward in an SP, or a DS or a Micro.

So basically every console that could play it with a decent backlight.

I guess the real hardcore will get a GBA in an original gba shell with backlight ags 101.

Out of curiosity, is there anyone that does original GBA with 101 kits? I have no tinkering ability, but I'd definitely give someone a few bucks, and my beat up ags 101 and a donor GBA and get a real backlight gba. I'd like to see what the cost might be.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 30, 2016

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

fishmech posted:

OK, and....? I get that it being flush would be the cherry on top of the sundae, but seriously, having the whole dang GBA library on one cart is worth dealing with a little awkwardness. But everyone's acting fearful like it's somehow going to be mondo sized and jut out into your chest and the edges will slice your palms when you try to play some Super Mario Advance or whatever. It's Krikzz, he's not an idiot about this sort of stuff.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Kthulhu5000 posted:

OK, and....? I get that it being flush would be the cherry on top of the sundae, but seriously, having the whole dang GBA library on one cart is worth dealing with a little awkwardness. But everyone's acting fearful like it's somehow going to be mondo sized and jut out into your chest and the edges will slice your palms when you try to play some Super Mario Advance or whatever. It's Krikzz, he's not an idiot about this sort of stuff.

I'm gonna use a knife to turn the edges into miniature shivs.

Duh, everyone does this to their flashcarts.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Kthulhu5000 posted:

We've had GBA flash carts for 13 years that fit flush in the system

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

African AIDS cum posted:

We've had GBA flash carts for 13 years that fit flush in the system

And they generally involved having to patch ROMs and deal with other stuff. If Krikzz is basically just doing "copy ROMs to SD card, plug it in, go", and it requires more cart space to include that functionality, then it's a worthwhile trade-off.

EDIT: I admit I'm kind of taking the piss here. It's just crazy to me how much people seem to get hung up on this sort of fairly minor aesthetic thing, rather than details about the device's functionality and all that.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Oh boy it's this argument again.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Kthulhu5000 posted:

And they generally involved having to patch ROMs and deal with other stuff. If Krikzz is basically just doing "copy ROMs to SD card, plug it in, go", and it requires more cart space to include that functionality, then it's a worthwhile trade-off.

EDIT: I admit I'm kind of taking the piss here. It's just crazy to me how much people seem to get hung up on this sort of fairly minor aesthetic thing, rather than details about the device's functionality and all that.

Never was much of a problem, the linker software dealt with the save stuff automatically. I have an Everdrive NES which is good but it seems like he rushed the GBA one out.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The Everdrive is larger because it's got a lot more going on than an ezflash 4 does. It's a flashless card, so it has to have a big FPGA to handle that stuff as opposed to the ezflash.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Doesn't it play OG Gameboy games too? If it was gba size would you be able to get it out of a Gameboy or Super Gameboy? Seems like a good compromise. Am I going crazy?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The everdrive GBA does not play Gameboy games because of a pin difference that tells the GBA how to boot.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Good to know, thanks. Almost picked up a Super Game Boy in preparation.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

It would invalidate the gameboy everdrive that already exists.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Like, it's literally a hardware issue, they used to make things called GBridges to let you use your GBA flash cart to play loaded GBC roms because of it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I picked up a used Sega Genesis model 1 today from Disc Replay. It not the "HD Edition" one, but it has the extra information on the bottom indicating it doesn't have the splash screen on the boot up. I used the page linked in the OP, and while the back matches the good 'non HD edition" version, the plastic that covered up the port is flipped.

So did I get a good version or a lemon?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The easiest way to check the exact revision is to just open the console. The model 1 is only held together with 6 philips screws and another 5 for the RF shield. I really suggest doing this instead of trying to guess based on the case and serial number since I have a HD graphics model that was refurbished by Sega putting it in a later revision shell.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Elliotw2 posted:

The easiest way to check the exact revision is to just open the console. The model 1 is only held together with 6 philips screws and another 5 for the RF shield. I really suggest doing this instead of trying to guess based on the case and serial number since I have a HD graphics model that was refurbished by Sega putting it in a later revision shell.

I opened it up...and here what inside.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

You have to take the RF shield off too, then there'll be a part number on one of the larger chips. That part number will reference to one of the VA numbers on the board itself.

You can see that this Genesis is a VA6.

edit: That large heatsink actually points to you having a VA7, which is generally considered to be garbo.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 31, 2016

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
You're going to need to remove the RF shield or get some good light and see if you can't angle things just right to see what's printed on the PCB.

http://segaretro.org/Mega_Drive_PCB_revisions

For US VA1, VA2, and VA3 boards, it'll be printed on the board near where those red and white wires plug into. VA6, you'd have to look under the big chip beneath the cartridge slot. VA7, it'll be printed on the left side near the heat sink. Based on the apparent presence of the heat sink or whatever, you may have a VA7...

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Elliotw2 posted:

You have to take the RF shield off too, then there'll be a part number on one of the larger chips. That part number will reference to one of the VA numbers on the board itself.

You can see that this Genesis is a VA6.

edit: That large heatsink actually points to you having a VA7, which is generally considered to be garbo.

I see VA7...so I just return it then. Damnit.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

fishmech posted:

Calling total bullshit on this. I just played ~10 hours in the past 2 days on an SP. I can't imagine at all how any persons hands could possibly be in the area of the cart and still reasonably use the SP.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The Retroarch guys released an alpha of a new Vulkan powered N64 emulator that finally fixes a lot of the old graphical issues in N64 emulation. If you have a beefy Vulkan compatible computer, you too can finally play Kirby 64 on your PC with a working health bar.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Elliotw2 posted:

The Retroarch guys released an alpha of a new Vulkan powered N64 emulator that finally fixes a lot of the old graphical issues in N64 emulation. If you have a beefy Vulkan compatible computer, you too can finally play Kirby 64 on your PC with a working health bar.

Does rogue squadron work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Elliotw2 posted:

So a glitchy AMD space heater, a user-hostile nVidia card, or a still-driver-busted Intel IGP three generations newer than the ones that CAN run Vulkan just fine on not-Windows but Intel can't be bothered.

I don't think Vulkan's going to be a thing for a few years yet. Can't put my finger on why.

• Locked thread