Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Instant Sunrise posted:

Does rogue squadron work?

I mean at like 2fps on my computer, but

Sir Unimaginative posted:

So a glitchy AMD space heater, a user-hostile nVidia card, or a still-driver-busted Intel IGP three generations newer than the ones that CAN run Vulkan just fine on not-Windows but Intel can't be bothered.

I don't think Vulkan's going to be a thing for a few years yet. Can't put my finger on why.

They tested it on an AMD r7 250,and nVidia's cards work with Vulkan from the 660 newer at least (I'm using a 960), and these guys specifically put in work so it mostly works on the Intel chipsets where you have Vulkan drivers.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jul 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
If you're going to bother emulating N64 Rogue Squadron you might as well just get the GOG release of the PC version, I'd imagine.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

This is major progress from every other N64 emulator, which hardlock because Factor 5 coded custom graphics drivers and the old plugins poo poo the bed if you tried to run the game in them.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

You misunderstand: my issue is not with the emulator library (Neat.), or even really with Vulkan; it's with every major GPU company being some variant of dicks.

Intel: Skylake or bust. Even though hardly anyone has Skylake and our Skylake drivers still don't work! (No I don't care if Linux supports Vulkan down to Ivy Bridge because hardly anyone uses it, and I know Mac doesn't do Vulkan at all because apparently you should consider yourselves blessed to develop for iOS's snowflake graphics API.)
nVidia: We don't want people to use our 300-dollar video cards for things that we sell 1200-dollar video cards that are poorly suited for games for, so we'll kneecap our consumer cards even now that games are using the part we're crippling! EDIT: Also please use Gameworks and DX12 and anything but standards!
AMD: We actually mean well, but we only just regained the resources to design GPUs that don't directly substantially contribute to climate change so that's going to take a few years, and our drivers show how we make desperate business deals that hurt our customers to survive so that's also going to take a few years.

RetroArch is rad, but presumably it still has to run on something.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jul 31, 2016

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Mantle will solve everything. poo poo, wait.

Actually that's not even a good joke, Mantle never showed any promise.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
A big reason why I RGB-modded my N64. Just have to keep the joysticks greased with bicycle grease so they don't disintegrate and the thing should last me indefinitely.

Ever since my NESRGB got finished my main goal has been collecting co-op games, including a whole bunch I never even played as a kid. So far I've picked up Chip & Dale, Double Dragon II, Life Force, Contra & Super C, with Dr. Mario (I don't think this is actually cooperative but whatever), Bubble Bobble, Jackal, and Snake Rattle n' Roll coming later. I would've loved to get River City Ransom and RC Pro Am 2 but the prices for those are insane on ebay. Any other notable ones I'm forgetting?

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jul 31, 2016

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I'm still wondering if there's any recommended gameboy hacks out there, especially link's awakening.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Wow, Geist just shits the bed with level seven with blatant padding. You get recaptured and put through an indoctrination/training program that is an unashamed set of challenges. A shooting gallery, wave defense (with automatic failure if someone gets through a door) and finally going back-and-forth through the same identical rooms three times with a single host, no healthpacks, and the shittiest gun in the game.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wow, Geist just shits the bed with level seven with blatant padding. You get recaptured and put through an indoctrination/training program that is an unashamed set of challenges. A shooting gallery, wave defense (with automatic failure if someone gets through a door) and finally going back-and-forth through the same identical rooms three times with a single host, no healthpacks, and the shittiest gun in the game.

That is the point I stopped playing. It goes from, "okay mainly due to the premise" to just plain garbage.

I'm finally playing Die By the Sword after owning it for almost twenty years. I've got enough to say about it that I think I'll give it a big write up once I'm further in...

Nate RFB posted:

Ever since my NESRGB got finished my main goal has been collecting co-op games, including a whole bunch I never even played as a kid. So far I've picked up Chip & Dale, Double Dragon II, Life Force, Contra & Super C, with Dr. Mario (I don't think this is actually cooperative but whatever), Bubble Bobble, Jackal, and Snake Rattle n' Roll coming later. I would've loved to get River City Ransom and RC Pro Am 2 but the prices for those are insane on ebay. Any other notable ones I'm forgetting?

TMNT 2 is the obvious one. The Gauntlet games have coop modes (2 is four player, even) and even though it gets a lot of hate I really do like the first NES one. I've always wanted to see someone do 8 Eyes coop, though I think they'd kill each other before finishing.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jul 31, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Random Stranger posted:

That is the point I stopped playing. It goes from, "okay mainly due to the premise" to just plain garbage.

I got through that first stretch of the one life, no heal, section by just brute-forcing my way through it to the checkpoint without caring about killing them all. It wouldn't be anywhere near as atrocious if the SMG didn't piss bullets everywhere like a urinating drunk while hitting you precisely in the hands of the security detail.

Using the Hydra Blaster in the following level was pretty fun though :allears:.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Random Stranger posted:

TMNT 2 is the obvious one. The Gauntlet games have coop modes (2 is four player, even) and even though it gets a lot of hate I really do like the first NES one. I've always wanted to see someone do 8 Eyes coop, though I think they'd kill each other before finishing.
Oh yeah I did consider TMNT2, I think the only reason I didn't already jump on it is that I have Turtles in Time already and if you're going to play a co-op TMNT game why wouldn't you just play that given the option? Doesn't look like TMNT2 is too expensive though at the moment.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The best co-op TMNT game on NES is Battletoads.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Anyone like scanlines? (curse the sun)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Random Stranger posted:

I'm finally playing Die By the Sword after owning it for almost twenty years.

How do you feel about Dad by the Sword?

TeaJay posted:

:swoon:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Man things are not going right. First the Genesis I bought turns out to have the cursed VA7, the flash cart I was going to order for it double in price out of nowhere. I just going to return it and probably try again in a few months, ugh.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

How do you feel about Dad by the Sword?

Went out for a pack of rapiers and never came back. :smith:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Random Stranger posted:

Went out for a pack of rapiers and never came back. :smith:

:golfclap:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fremry posted:

I just started playing Bomberman Tournament on GBA, and while I have some issues with the menus and respawns (always at the beginning of the dungeon), I'm incredibly surprised at how good this game is. It's like a shallower Zelda with Bomberman as the combat system.

Also, why the hell did they call it Tournament? The main portion is a semi-open world adventure game.

I thought I was the only one who played/liked that game and just chalked it up to being twelve

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
I'm running into a situation where I'm getting a 'buzzing' or feedback sound while trying to play my classic games. I have 4 consoles that I have hooked up thru a Composite Switchbox, and that switchbox goes into an HDMI upconverter that goes into an HDMI matrix that has two HDMI outputs. The first HDMI output goes directly to my TV, and the second goes into a two step 'deconverter' that goes from HDMI to Composite to Coaxial, that goes into my TV. I have it setup this way as my TV will do picture in picture on the HDMI and Coaxial.

So when I'm playing my games on upconverted output, I get a buzzing sound. When I use the coaxial, I don't get this sound, even though it has to go thru more signal conversion steps to get to the TV. Has anyone else run into similar issues, or have any suggestions on how I can get rid of the buzzing?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

I don't know if anyone else is using the Windows 10 Anniversary Update yet, but at least in the Release Preview, DS4Windows' exclusive mode keeps running up against the Xbox Game Bar, and even turning off the game bar doesn't seem to let exclusive mode work again (hell, turning it off and then uninstalling Xbox through Powershell doesn't seem to). I doubt jiggering the Xbox Controller IDs in Settings will help much either.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dgnD93pwX0

Pretty neat

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

TeaJay posted:

:unsmith:

:smith:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201636144419

e: cheaper http://www.ebay.com/itm/162151616807

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Grevlek posted:

I'm running into a situation where I'm getting a 'buzzing' or feedback sound while trying to play my classic games. I have 4 consoles that I have hooked up thru a Composite Switchbox, and that switchbox goes into an HDMI upconverter that goes into an HDMI matrix that has two HDMI outputs. The first HDMI output goes directly to my TV, and the second goes into a two step 'deconverter' that goes from HDMI to Composite to Coaxial, that goes into my TV. I have it setup this way as my TV will do picture in picture on the HDMI and Coaxial.

So when I'm playing my games on upconverted output, I get a buzzing sound. When I use the coaxial, I don't get this sound, even though it has to go thru more signal conversion steps to get to the TV. Has anyone else run into similar issues, or have any suggestions on how I can get rid of the buzzing?

I'd try a different cable between he matrix and the TV. Then I'd swap the outputs to see if the output1 from the matrix is bad. Then go from there. Maybe disconnect the output2 and the coax from the tv and see if it is still present on the HDMI in on the tv, could be a weird ground loop issue.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I havent noticed anyone mention this in awhile. RetroUSB's NES AVS is about to be released. They are on a slow boat from China, now.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/05/retrousbs_hdmi_nes_the_avs_is_heading_for_a_summer_release

Here's an article about it with an info graphic. RetroUSB has been fairly low key because they've been working on getting everything right.
Half the price of an AnalogueNT, but looks to be the overall better quality product.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
On the VA7 Genesis, is the hissy sound only in stereo? I took it back to return/exchange and they tested it out with both a RF and composite mono cable and I didn't hear it. And it was Green Hill Zone, so I can tell if it a bad version of that song playing. I ended up keeping it after hearing, but they threw in the composite cable for free to make up for the trouble.

[edit] Good example of a bad version of Green Hill Zone. (at 13:50)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gGR-jeQ1pM

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Rirse posted:

On the VA7 Genesis, is the hissy sound only in stereo? I took it back to return/exchange and they tested it out with both a RF and composite mono cable and I didn't hear it. And it was Green Hill Zone, so I can tell if it a bad version of that song playing. I ended up keeping it after hearing, but they threw in the composite cable for free to make up for the trouble.

[edit] Good example of a bad version of Green Hill Zone. (at 13:50)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gGR-jeQ1pM

honestly if it's the only genesis you can get I wouldn't worry about it so much. I use a CDX as my only genesis and it's reputed to have terrible sound by people who care and I have never noticed any problem.

e:

cosmicjim posted:

I havent noticed anyone mention this in awhile. RetroUSB's NES AVS is about to be released. They are on a slow boat from China, now.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/05/retrousbs_hdmi_nes_the_avs_is_heading_for_a_summer_release

Here's an article about it with an info graphic. RetroUSB has been fairly low key because they've been working on getting everything right.
Half the price of an AnalogueNT, but looks to be the overall better quality product.

I'm really glad for this even though I'm not the target market, pretty much exposes how scammy analogue's prices are

d0s fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 31, 2016

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

cosmicjim posted:

Thats, uh, an interesting controller

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Harlock posted:

Thats, uh, an interesting controller

it's straight hideous but probably a prototype as the thing says it's a wireless controller that's a few months away

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

That is super cool. I kind of wish the official one worked that way.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Eugene Jarvis and Larry DeMar reflect on their work at Robotron: 2084 dev Vid Kidz

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/278125/Eugene_Jarvis_and_Larry_DeMar_reflect_on_their_work_at_Robotron_2084_dev_Vid_Kidz.php

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

cosmicjim posted:

They have lots of pics of plastic and its packaging. What is the actual PCB? Are they taking processors from standard NES's like the analogue thing was?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

d0s posted:

honestly if it's the only genesis you can get I wouldn't worry about it so much. I use a CDX as my only genesis and it's reputed to have terrible sound by people who care and I have never noticed any problem.

The CDX and the Nomad actually have really good sound though, since they were both tweaked and adjusted for a better sound experience on the go and at home.

Really though, use whatever Genesis sounds good to your own ears.

edit: Digging through the RetroUSB facebook page, the AVS is a clone system, not a prebuilt HDMI modded system like the AnalogueNT.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 31, 2016

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Elliotw2 posted:

edit: Digging through the RetroUSB facebook page, the AVS is a clone system, not a prebuilt HDMI modded system like the AnalogueNT.

It's not a clone in the way that people associate the word with retro consoles. In some ways it's actually an improved NES and can reduce flickering because it can handle more sprites at once than a NES. It also plays absolutely everything. It has no problems with games like Castlevania 3.

The major complaint seems to be 720p instead of 1080p.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Are those USB SNES controllers any good? I keep getting an itch to play a bunch of the games I grew up with, but my actual SNES console died years ago and I have no idea where any of the controllers / carts are anymore, so I'm kinda leaning towards just emulating stuff right now to stop myself from going overboard and dumping hundreds of dollars into a new setup, as much as I'd love to have actual, physical stuff. It seems like a decent USB controller would be a fair compromise and let me at least feel like I'm playing a SNES, since M+KB feels terrible.

I'm dumb at computers though, so I'm not sure how much of a hassle it would be to get stuff set up / if they are even a good option for what I want.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I got one of the buffalo made USB SFC controllers and it's great for any quick emulation poo poo I have to do but imo get a SNES->USB adapter for ultimate quality if you're gonna be playing seriously

e: all that stuff is dead simple to set up, plug and play, though you will probably need to remap the controls in the emulator to match the SNES, which is also easy

e2: a snes->usb converter http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=29&osCsid=1c4801bb24b1934da7dfa92ba62ca01d

d0s fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 31, 2016

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Meanwhile in the land of ebay:

Seems legit. :downs:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Literally The Worst posted:

I thought I was the only one who played/liked that game and just chalked it up to being twelve

I just finished it. It's not winning any awards, but it's a very competent, albeit shallow, Zelda clone with the twist of Bomberman combat. It was definitely a cool hidden gem type game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fremry posted:

I just finished it. It's not winning any awards, but it's a very competent, albeit shallow, Zelda clone with the twist of Bomberman combat. It was definitely a cool hidden gem type game.

the combat being bomb based was interesting becaues you had to time your poo poo proerly (until you got the charabon or w/e that let you remote detonate and the RC bombs and then the game got real easy)

• Locked thread