Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Pharmaskittle posted:

This and his animal stuff is why I can't muster up any real bile for Newt. Like yeah, I'd never vote for him, but I also can't hate the guy the way I can someone with the same policies but no endearing hobbies. I really hope there's an alternate universe where he's a kooky zookeeper who maybe testifies about space stuff. Like a less respected hybrid between Steve Irwin and Bill Nye.

I want to like his goofy animal/space stuff, but then I remember what he got up to back in the 90s when he shut down the government in a giant screaming temper tantrum because the president kinda- sorta- was short with him this one time. No amount of sloth-adoring's going to rehabilitate that toad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

In that alternate universe where the US has a PR system, he's actually first on the party list slate for The Singularity Party (Georgia Branch) and has been a consistent kingmaker in many centrist coalitions through the 2000's.

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I want to like his goofy animal/space stuff, but then I remember what he got up to back in the 90s when he shut down the government in a giant screaming temper tantrum because the president kinda- sorta- was short with him this one time. No amount of sloth-adoring's going to rehabilitate that toad.

He's also a serial adulterer who divorced his first wife when she was in the hospital with cancer. But he likes animals guys!

e: Even if he never went in to politics, there's every reason to assume he would still be an insufferable rear end in a top hat in his personal life.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR
Looks like all my conservative relatives are getting excited about Carson. Other than complain about Obamacare, has he actually done any other stupid poo poo I can use as ammo?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Fox News has cancelled their contract with Ben Carson. He's running. :stare:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Pong Daddy posted:

He's also a serial adulterer who divorced his first wife when she was in the hospital with cancer. But he likes animals guys!

e: Even if he never went in to politics, there's every reason to assume he would still be an insufferable rear end in a top hat in his personal life.

Let's not forget that his dissertation was an apologia for Leopold II.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Job Truniht posted:

Looks like all my conservative relatives are getting excited about Carson. Other than complain about Obamacare, has he actually done any other stupid poo poo I can use as ammo?

He has personally saved countless lives. Do you think that is stupid?

Edit: I'm kidding, but he has a solid background. The biggest mark against him are his beliefs and if your relatives already believe the same I don't think theres much to do.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 8, 2014

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I saw my first Carson '16 bumper sticker last week in Mississippi.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

Same. The woman driving said car was a dinosaur. Unironic question: Would the Republicans actually ever nominate a black man as their candidate?

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Pharmaskittle posted:

I saw my first Carson '16 bumper sticker last week in Mississippi.

Checkmate libs, racism is over :smug:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Job Truniht posted:

Same. The woman driving said car was a dinosaur. Unironic question: Would the Republicans actually ever nominate a black man as their candidate?

Yeah, my dad was totally on board with Herman Cain. There are a plurality of Republicans who would vote for a right-wing black dude if he said the right stuff, just to prove that Democrats are the real racists.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

The political science literature is pretty consistent on the important of forming strong intra-party coalitions to win the Presidential nomination, so I wouldn't :sweatdrop: too hard over Cruz. The Democrats should definitely want him to run because he has a very low chance of winning the nomination and a very high chance of causing headaches for all the other Republicans, pushing the eventual nominee's platform to the right.

Whats the PoliSci literature say on buying your own coalition while already owning your own infrastructure?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Job Truniht posted:

Said the exact same welfare systems that allowed him to eat as a kid instills a culture of dependency. So he's living proof that he's wrong.

Aliquid posted:

Yeah, my dad was totally on board with Herman Cain. There are a plurality of Republicans who would vote for a right-wing black dude if he said the right stuff, just to prove that Democrats are the real racists.

As Mike Tyson told us all, the Tea Party loves crazy more than they hate black. And {Carson} Is crazier than a shithouse rat.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Most republicans will claim in polls that they would totally vote for Ben Carson in the primaries but when the time comes most of them will actually vote for someone who has held elected office at some point instead of the Gallant to Herman Cain's Goofus. It's enough that they thought about voting for him to assure them that they aren't racist.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Gen. Ripper posted:

Checkmate libs, racism is over :smug:

Sounds like something Alan Keyes would say.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Republicans posted:

Most republicans will claim in polls that they would totally vote for Ben Carson in the primaries but when the time comes most of them will actually vote for someone who has held elected office at some point instead of the Gallant to Herman Cain's Goofus. It's enough that they thought about voting for him to assure them that they aren't racist.

"most", sure, but in 2016, if the competition remains stiff throughout the season, I bet the winning GOP candidate has no more than 35-40% of the total primary vote. Last cycle, the most recent of the two runners-up lost re-election in 2006, and the other was chased out in late '98. I think voters, especially GOP voters, care less and less about an electoral resume.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Aliquid posted:

"most", sure, but in 2016, if the competition remains stiff throughout the season, I bet the winning GOP candidate has no more than 35-40% of the total primary vote. Last cycle, the most recent of the two runners-up lost re-election in 2006, and the other was chased out in late '98. I think voters, especially GOP voters, care less and less about an electoral resume.

They'll strangely care much more about the electoral resume of Dr. Carson than that of any other candidate is the thing.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
I'll be happy as long as at some point during the primary, even if for a moment, Carson is leading in the polls. I want that moment. I need it.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The rolling chosen one choice was the greatest thing of the 2012 primary. Remember when it was Santorum. When it was Cain. When it was loving Newt because they ran out of electable people like Santorum and Cain. I cannot wait for this to get started.

Ben Carson needs to be added to the list in the OP.

And when was it that Pawlenty tried out that new dander-up rumbling speaking voice. That was amazing. "Hey starting today EYE'H TAWRLK LRIKE THRRRIS."

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

Carson is basically Herman Cain 2.0 with twice the crazy. He has added creationism to his list of other crazy things such as a flat tax and hating gays.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The Daily beast just ran a piece disputing the Bin Laden "Shooter" Story.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/11/07/bin-laden-shooter-story-is-fubar-special-ops-sources-say.html

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Twice the crazy of Herman Cain is a high bar after the Pokemon thing.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

shadow puppet of a posted:

The rolling chosen one choice was the greatest thing of the 2012 primary. Remember when it was Santorum. When it was Cain. When it was loving Newt because they ran out of electable people like Santorum and Cain. I cannot wait for this to get started.

Ben Carson needs to be added to the list in the OP.

And when was it that Pawlenty tried out that new dander-up rumbling speaking voice. That was amazing. "Hey starting today EYE'H TAWRLK LRIKE THRRRIS."

Remember his sick "Obamneycare" burn?

Those were the days.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

it would be extremely cool if Cain runs again like he was hinting a while back so that him and Carson can be on the same debate stage at the same time.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Won't all the sexual harassment allegations come back up? That's what sunk him in the first place.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Those were the days.

"LET HIM DIE!"

<cheers>

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

What will sink Ben Carson is that he is probably complete poo poo at being a politician, because he has no experience. As soon as the real campaign starts he's going to get loving rolled.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Also the adage 'Doctors make horrible managers' is not from out of nowhere. His campaign staff and structure will all have him at the center, serving as tastemaker and course-plotter.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Not to mention he's going to have a hard time coming off as anything near sincere.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Are there even enough Pokemon movies to supply material for another Cain run?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Quinnipiac has been furiously pre-polling likely voters to find out which has more traction at this point, inspirational quotes from Youkai Watch or Legend of Korra.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

A human heart posted:

it would be extremely cool if Cain runs again like he was hinting a while back so that him and Carson can be on the same debate stage at the same time.

I hope they team up.

CAIN TRAIN 2016: "Is there a doctor on board?"

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

There are ALWAYS enough Pokemon movies. Maybe Carson's bit will be Digimon.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

There are over 20 pokemon movies now.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Republicans posted:

Won't all the sexual harassment allegations come back up? That's what sunk him in the first place.

Now they're old allegations. Why do the Dems insist on dragging out ancient history instead of engaging with the issues???

Actually though I have no idea how that would play in a Cain sequel run.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TARDISman posted:

There are ALWAYS enough Pokemon movies. Maybe Carson's bit will be Digimon.

Does that mean, instead of 3 good debates, he'll cut together stuff to make a lovely one? Preceeded by Angela Anaconda for god knows what reason?

Chantilly Say posted:

Now they're old allegations. Why do the Dems insist on dragging out ancient history instead of engaging with the issues???

Actually though I have no idea how that would play in a Cain sequel run.

Combine that and the Pokemon thing, and start quoting hentai.

'I belive this comes from Daimo Doki Doki: The Princess Needs Her Rape Therapy....'

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Gyges posted:

They'll strangely care much more about the electoral resume of Dr. Carson than that of any other candidate is the thing.

Black Republicans running for Republican seats / nomination are probably going to do pretty well from here on out, I think.

edit: VVVV while Goldwater definitely ran against the liberal consensus of the day he still managed to tap into the Taft undercurrent that never really went away in the party

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Nov 8, 2014

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Someone remind me of the last candidate that was nominated by one of the two major parties that ran wholly against their party's ruling intelligensia. Goldwater?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Aliquid posted:

Someone remind me of the last candidate that was nominated by one of the two major parties that ran wholly against their party's ruling intelligensia. Goldwater?

Carter was significantly more moderate than the national party and ran a campaign based on being an outsider in the party. This was also his biggest problem as President: he staffed the White House with mostly people from Georgia and didn't work with the Democratic Congressional leadership, hence the Kennedy primary challenge in 1980.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Joementum posted:

Fox News has cancelled their contract with Ben Carson. He's running. :stare:
Please update this gif:

• Locked thread