Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I know I would like it if, following Petey's transition thread, there was a general "Obama term 2" thread for people to talk about everything going on in his term since not all of it is worth its own thread, but it does interest most of us. Is that something of interest to people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

JT Jag posted:

Too bad the Kennedys all died, they'd have gotten in on this otherwise.

I mean..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kennedy_family

This family is huge and they could still run for something.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Joementum posted:

Joe Kennedy III was just elected to Congress in Barney Frank's old district.

I know, and Caroline Kennedy is still involved in Politics, Patrick Kennedy could be again if he stops drinking, and Kathleen Kennedy used to be.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

skaboomizzy posted:

Someone asked me who else besides Hillary and maybe Biden were looking at a run in 2016. I came up with Cuomo, O'Malley and Schweitzer (Deval Patrick as a long-shot). No Dem in the Senate looks poised for a Presidential run, and we've run through Congress and everything else being a tough launching pad.

It's gonna be Hillary if she wants it. I'm not sure Biden will go for it if she doesn't, and from there it's the governors. I have a tough time imagining someone coming from left field to shake it up... I guess Elizabeth Warren, but she'd be like a 300/1 shot because I think she's content to try to be an unofficial Ted Kennedy heir in the Senate.

Everyone in Mass thinks Patrick is going to run, and right wing talk media is salivating over Governor Scott Brown.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

BUSH 2112 posted:

Wow, I can't believe that I had never heard about Hillary Clinton being a Republican until now.

Elizabeth Warren was a Republican until the mid 90's I believe.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

skaboomizzy posted:

When Romney dropped out in Feb of 2008 I told my parents "Well, there's the GOP nominee for 2012." He absolutely could have fought McCain tooth and nail in '08 with a pretty reasonable chance to win the nomination, but he chose to drop out early to get all the big money for the '12 run and avoid the Bush backlash.

Romney is a cold, calculating dude who wants to wring the most opportunity (aka MONEY) out of every situation that presents itself to him. In the business world, that's a pretty great image to have. In politics, not so much.

Notice that nowhere in this campaign did you hear of Romney writing his campaign a personal check. The only thing he spent was his time, and now he's got that back. He's already back on the board of Mariott hotels.

Also, now he can amend his 2011 tax return to take all the deductions he bypassed so that he could tell everyone he paid 13% in taxes that year. He's getting all that money between the 13% he showed everyone and whatever he could've paid (around 9%) back.

He's even less appealing than Scrooge McDuck because at least the Disney character had a personality and accent. Ann Romney can cry all she wants about not living in the White House, but at least she has DANCING HORSES to amuse her.

This is not true at all. Huckabee had gained steam and was starting to win states, and almost seemed to stubbornly stay in to spite Romney. Romney dropped out because Mccain was 60% of where he needed to be after Super Tuesday. He really didn't have a chance once Huckabee started winning southern states.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Two primaries for every region allows more fluidity in the campaign.

February: Pennsylvania, half of Northeast.
March: New York, other half of Northeast.

I think it would make sense to do 5 states every 2 weeks for twenty weeks

For instance

First Tuesday in January: IA, NH, NV, SC, and a random big state (Cali, NY, Texas, Florida, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Illinois, Georgia, Michigan, NC)

Second Tuesday: VT, AR, NM, GA and random big state.

etc

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
The best part about Double Down thus far was that Mitch Daniels, Jeb Bush, and Haley Barbour talked for months about how they would join together against Romney if one of them ran but Daniels wife was adamantly opposed to it (Mitch had GWB and Laura call her to talk about it), Jeb knew his last name was still poison, and Barbour's own opposition research on himself painted him as a racist drunk.

Oh, and everyone treats Joe Biden like poo poo in the white house.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

Not hardly. Pushback from the wealthy, a hostile supreme court that knocked down ~70% of his policies, a proto-Rush Limbaugh, a fascist coup plotted by business leaders - Roosevelt certainly faced meaningful opposition. Not to mention having loving polio and keeping it a secret from the public.

I've never heard of proto rush or the coup before...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
wait, Hillary is really gonna hire Mark Penn again?

• Locked thread