Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The thing people tend to forget about Perry is that he was already taking a real beating before his three cabinet positions gaffe. It was far from just the debates that killed him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Ehh, all Perry needed to do to win the primary was to run a competent campaign. Since he was a sitting governor it wasn't too surprising that most of us thought that he was capable of doing that.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 21, 2013

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

comes along bort posted:

If by competent you mean go back in time to 2008 and snatch up all the money and organization people Romney bought out first then yeah, competent. That's the ticket.

There are hundreds of races every year, it is impossible for a candidate to monopolize talent. That Perry wasn't able to build something out of the scraps that were left his late campaign does say something, beyond just saying "don't be last."

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 21, 2013

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Maybe he can badger his replacement to step aside and let him be senator again.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Panzerkin3D posted:

I've always enjoyed how crazy people look at Americans when they go over board with their ethnic identity classification. I can draw direct lines of descent from both Plymouth (Mayflower) and Jamestown (John Smith), but that doesn't make me anymore English than my dog is a cat. My wife is Canadian (immigrated to the US on a marriage visa) and we have 2 kids. Are they Canadian Americans? What would that even mean in the end?

And on the topic, so is everyone going to start going nuts over Cory Booker now that Elizabeth Warren has said she isn't running? I hope Hillary declares she is running soon (or says she won't so Biden can) so this ridiculous speculation stops.

Even if Hillary does not run Obama will not put significant support behind Biden for the simple fact that he, like everyone else, has come to view Uncle Joe as a gently caress-up.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Hmm, maybe. Didn't Clinton give Gore support? And I'm pretty sure Reagan gave HW at least cursory support in 88. Anyways its been so long since we have had a term limited president who's endorsement you would actually want that I guess I am basing my experiences more off of governors races.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
America is too big for a flashpoint riot to change the country. In Thailand that stuff is, mostly, shutting down Bangkok, as far as I can tell. If people were to have some massive LA riot or general strike it wouldn't make or break the rest of the country. You say that you are amazed how much it takes for the US to react but I say that is a good thing, the place you are comparing it to for example would have been much better off without being forced to go through six (possibly soon to be seven?) governments in eight years.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm not arguing for the idea of American exceptionalism, more so that large countries which don't have a dominating metropole in general are more stable because you can't just do something in one city. Its just that unfortunately there aren't many other large countries so America seems to be but is not alone.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 14, 2013

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Despite what the above person said Russia and China are actually good comparisons, yeah they are concentrated in the west/east but western Russia and eastern China are still huge areas with many geographically separated large cities. So them, India and Brazil seem like decent choices. Maybe Japan, its sort of odd how dominant Tokyo seems to be in discussion of that place when you look at that country on a population map and see a pretty good distribution of large (million plus people) cities. Indonesia would definitely be out, it is very much Java-centric with the other islands along for the ride most of the time. Mexico might work. Congo would work but its so weakly governed that you can't really tell. South Africa and Germany are iffy and I'd lead towards saying no to them, can't think of anywhere else.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Dec 14, 2013

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
He's right, not everyone should go to college. The rest is standard political bullshit.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

ReindeerF posted:

His tact and approach was absolutely idiotic, so, no, he wasn't right.
Approach doesn't matter when you are just talking about whether he is correct or not. His views aren't that uncommon in the part of the country that he is from.

quote:

You have to remember, Santorum is a spectacularly bad politician considering how far he's come. He managed to lose an incumbent Senate seat by basically alienating everyone other than the craziest base people. In other words, once you get to know him you really learn how much you loathe him. His comment on college was a typically tone-deaf Santorum "I'm an idiot who is out of touch with the American public" comment and played as such.

Oh, I don't know about that either. He was a major upset in his first congressional victory and managed to keep the seat despite being screwed by redistricting. In part he did this specifically by appealing to lower class, blue collar people, the exact same types that in my experience are most likely to shrug college off as a scam. These are also the people who supported him in his senate campaigns where he himself unseated a sitting incumbent. His winning coalition is too small these days to be anything but a losing coalition but it was certainly an acceptable one in the ninties.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Doesn't Beck actually make a lot of money off of his stuff? I know people were crowing about it years ago but since then he's fortunately been out of sight, out of mind for me.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

VitalSigns posted:

If the last two Republican primaries are any indication: if you run enough times eventually the GOP will just go "oh my God fine, let's nominate that guy. It's not like we can do any worse."

Hmm? They've chosen the previous runner-up, assuming he ran again, going all the way back to Reagan.

Reagan lost to Ford, HW lost to Reagan, Dole lost to HW, Buchanan or whoever the runner up was did not run in 2000, McCain lost to Bush and Romney lost to McCain.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Forgall posted:

Is that actually true? Seems a bit unlikely.

Almost certainly not. Maybe he would have got forty percent of African Americans' votes in the primary or 40 percent said they would "consider" him or whatever but there's no way Cain would have gotten 40 percent of the white vote in the general, let alone 40 percent of the black vote.

Steele isn't quite the ceiling for Republicans going at the black vote (he ran in a bad year for Republicans) but is pretty close to it. People forget that he was really popular for a Republican in Maryland prior to becoming RNC Chair and destroying its fundraising ability.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

OAquinas posted:

Glowing treatment of longtime friend Hillary, biting resentment towards Biden? I'm sure there's no ulterior motive here.

Either that or Biden really does come off as a jackass who is consistently wrong on foreign policy issues. Gates isn't exactly the first person to bring either of those up.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Well the obvious go to is his opposition to the Gulf War but support of the Iraq War. He chose opposite sides both times and both times he picked the wrong answer. His opposition to the surge/awakening was another area where he was proven wrong.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

jeffersonlives posted:

If you're Christie, you're also going to have a really hard time getting the state senator majority leader to really fight for you when you stuck a shiv in his back two months ago. It's unlikely to happen but this is why you don't go to war with your own legislative caucuses unless you know you'll win, and Christie's been openly antagonizing them for about a year.

Senate Minority Leader you mean. As you said the impeachment will probably come to nothing, this isn't enough to be impeached over and he still has high popularity ratings.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Muskie cried in Maine, didn't he?

Not that it really mattered, the most damaging fact about Hillary was that she was "undeserving" and only got her senate seat and shot at the presidency because of Bill. Now that she ran that long, public campaign and has served as Sec. of State that is gone from most people's minds, the only ones who remember weren't going to be voting for her anyway.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Joementum posted:

No, it was that she voted for the war in Iraq.

I was talking general, not primary.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Gen. Ripper posted:

Reagan's first run was in 1976, or if you stretch it 1968 (when he was part of the "Stop Nixon" movement at the Convention). :eng101:

Yes, and Biden's first time was 1992. I still can't believe people here actually think he has a chance. He has foot in mouth disease, he consistently chooses wrongly on issues, he's the opposite of "no drama Obama," and he's been such an ineffective Vice President that "nobody likes/cares about Joe Biden" is actually a running joke here.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 17, 2014

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

Just a reminder, the people accusing Joe Biden of having feet in his mouth produced Bush, known unknowns and a party that can't stop mentioning rape.

also the running joke in D&D has always been about Diamond Joe :ssh:

It produced HW Bush, the best president we've had since, what, Ford, Nixon? Not sure how you get it producing W other than in the butterfly flapping wings in Africa sense.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

The X-man cometh posted:

But by that logic, how was George HW Bush better than Clinton?

While Clinton and GHWB both share responsibility for NAFTA (which is bad,) with Bush having laid the groundwork of the agreement and Clinton enacting it, Clinton should also be given partial credit for letting China into the WTO with GWB (which is also bad.) Meanwhile Bush won the Gulf War -a war he didn't provoke- quickly and relatively cheaply, raised taxes when necessary even though it violated a campaign pledge, didn't manage to gently caress up the fall of the Soviet Union, and was all around an example of good governance. If it weren't for the NAFTA stuff he'd be practically perfect.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

SedanChair posted:

Somehow that's the grossest thing Bill Kristol has ever said.

"First female president? Well how can it count if your poonhound husband was president before thee?" :smugdog the size of anatolia:

And yet with governorships thats exactly what a lot of people say, due largely to Dixiecrat wives becoming governor. While Hillary has clearly become a statesman in her own right, I would not be opposed to these claims if they had, instead, been sent out at a Barbara Bush, Nancy Reagan or Michelle Obama if they in turn were to run for president without first being Senator/Secretary/some other similarly ranked position for over a decade.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Nixon also created Amtrak basically, which I'm not opposed to but I hate the way he destroyed the Penn Central, a major Pennsylvanian business with a lot of prestige and history, to do it. What a fucker, there.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

radical meme posted:

Wait, didn't Penn Central go bankrupt on its own? There's a story behind how I remember that, or maybe misremember.

It did but could have easily emerged from bankruptcy and went on to be successful. Nixon forced it to sell its Washington to New York line to Amtrak at below market value (Amtrak had previously been buying usage from them, which gave freight priority over passenger service on a line with much more passenger demand than freight demand and causing delays which hurt confidence in Amtrak.) Without its most popular route there was no way the railroad could successfully emerge from bankruptcy.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 18, 2014

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
If the NJ capitol parking lot is anything like the PA capitol garage its a better place to live than most of this thread's houses and apartments.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

jeffersonlives posted:

His candidacy was thrown out for technical residency issues after the lieutenant governor pushed getting him out very hard, that's not exactly exonerating the Christie administration from the charge of loving with Lewis.

Yeah, the minor technicality of not actually living in the state he was running in, what ya gonna do?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Rep. Cathy McMorris-Rodgers (from my native Spokane) is giving the GOP SOTU response. Could be an interesting dark horse for 2016.

No one is going to vote for a Representative, she'd need to somehow pick up a senate seat or governorship in the next year or so to stand a chance and there aren't any scheduled in Washington.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Joementum posted:

I think there's enough desire for a female Republican candidate that she could make a serious run of it, even from the non-traditional House member perch.

But her selection to give the SotU response has nothing to do with whatever ambitions she has for higher office.

There is enough desire among party leaders for female support that people might encourage her, or some other similar candidate, to run, but she would receive no support from the primary/caucus electorate who would rightly view her as a token candidate. If it were a senator or governor maybe, but not a house member.

She was probably given the SOTU response to try to appeal to women. It might work but only in the way that if she gives a successful speech she'd appeal to everyone. I wonder what the party announcement re: immigration will be. I suspect that they might just signal willingness to work towards amnesty at a party level and the base will hate that and revolt against it. That alone could sink whatever her (non-existent) presidential ambitions are. Ultimately I suspect this will do about as much to appeal to women voters as Romney repeatedly saying "women and men" and other such bullshit at the last convention did, i.e. not at all.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 24, 2014

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Ehh Duncan Hunter was okay. Thee was some guy from Ohio a decade or so before before that (Steve Austria?) who didn't last more than a week or so. He wasn't particularly nutty or anything. We've had a number of so-called serious businessmen run who I would argue were at or below the level of a house member. Forbes, Cox etc. None ever got any traction. Ambassadors too. Its Senator, Governor, VP or bust.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 24, 2014

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

CapitanAmerica posted:

He's also really loving white and brings nothing to the table when it comes to minority voters.

So? Maryland is a shitload blacker than the US as a whole and he managed to get through the primaries there. I haven't paid much attention to him but skin color is not going to be a problem. People who say things like that typically care far more about following news cycles than they do about building a campaign for the long haul.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Thats a load of bull, people don't not run for president (or get taken seriously) because they aren't black enough or female enough. I'll let you in on a little secret, there aren't any black contenders in the Democratic field this year, or any Hispanics. I'd even say that there aren't any women either aside from Hillary but I'm sure someone will go on about Gillibrand or Warren or whatever.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Pfirti86 posted:

That was somewhat unique, in that Giuliani seemed determined to have the dumbest campaign strategy of all time (didn't he skip all the early primaries and caucases to focus on Florida, just to bomb spectacularly?) and was percieved as 'too liberal' on culture warrior stuff (the guy was pro-choice for Christ's sake). I doubt Christie will be that stupid, and I think he's pretty standard Republican fare when it comes to stuff like abortion/LGBT-bashing/"family values"/etc.*

You could just as easily point to Mitt Romney as a guy who had a lot of 'obvious nominee' narrative going on before 2012, who then went on to be the nominee.

*It is true that he signed a bill banning 'gay conversion therapy' in NJ, and he didn't appeal the NJ Supreme Court striking down the ban on gay marriage. But he also didn't sign the bill into law, and he's not exactly on GLAAD's board of directors.

I still don't think that the focus on Florida strategy was terrible. Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, Nevada. None of those are good states for him. The key downfall of the strategy was that talking heads thought it was dumb and said as much so that when it came time for Floridians to vote most had lost faith in his ability to win. If he had won the state he would have had more convention delegates than would have been gotten from winning the other four states combined.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

DynamicSloth posted:

December 2006:

Hillary 39
Obama 17
Edwards 12
(where Obama and Edwards' numbers combined were already enough to defeat her).

Might want to check your math there.

A much more important difference, I believe, is that I think Hillary has a much harder base of support this time around, as a result of the 2007/8 primaries. The poor field she is facing helps too but its her own improvement that will make the biggest difference, in my opinion.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

De Nomolos posted:

O'Malley 2016 exploratory committee is now official.

A little surprised he's the one going this early. He could have Cardin or Mikulski's seat if he wants it, easily (no idea if he'd want it). One of them will likely be gone in a cycle or 3. May as well get out in front of everyone else and get the publicity if you really want to run, I guess.

I expected someone with no other possible future other than the presidency or a cabinet secretary appointment, like Schweitzer.

Schweitzer could have easily ran for the open seat in Montana this cycle and would probably have been the favorite to win it. Retaining it in the face of national politics would be a tougher issue though.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm always amazed that the VP and president can't just tell the SS to pound sand on issues like that. He's got his own license and his own car, it would be assault to drag him out of it if he was not violating the law and didn't want to be removed.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Is that what he looks like these days? McCain nothing, the too old to be president brigade would be all over him with a face like that. And if he were to somehow actually win and become president the office apparently ages you twenty years so I can only imagine how bad he'd look when he gets out.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
So I haven't heard of it in this thread before but a person I trust on Maryland politics claims that O'Malley's marriage is basically a sham and he's having an affair. Is this commonly known? For what its worth, the person who told me this is a labor supporting Democrat and not a conspiracy theorist.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

De Nomolos posted:

Are you implying that he's gay and his marriage is a front or he's just generally a cheater?

Just a cheater. He is apparently married to a former Maryland state AG's daughter so it could have been a Clintonian marriage from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

mcmagic posted:

Don't you think the fact that he's a complete bore with no charisma will be a bigger issue?

Never watched him speak but an affair going public without his consent would be a bullet to the campaign brain if it happens during election season and he doesn't already have significant momentum.

• Locked thread