Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Toomey still stands a shot at 2016, though I'd rate his race a tossup at this point. I don't see why people think Johnson is so vulnerable, though I haven't been looking at his poll numbers. Wisconsin isn't as blue as people make it out to be and as far as I can tell Johnson hasn't been going out and alienating people. Kirk, on the other hand, is probably screwed. He needed to be out there building his moderate cred but had to spend a lot of that time recovering from a stroke instead and, while said stroke did not directly alienate anyone, it did eat up a lot of time. Illinois doesn't seem to split ticket much in national races and in a presidential year I have a hard time believing Kirk can win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

My Imaginary GF posted:

Yeah, they went D in 2012. Maybe MO from '96 to '00 is the better comparison.

Me? Well, not "hard" R but they were the closest state in the nation in the 04 presidential campaign and weren't as blue as everyone had thought they were prior to that.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

andrew smash posted:

Haven't several militia groups gotten busted for actively plotting to kill cops and federal employees?

Several people with varying degrees of association have. I don't think any of the groups themselves have though. Course I am probably technically wrong since any one group, no matter how small, can call itself a militia.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 24, 2014

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Jackson Taus posted:

Yeah, but then neither has McCain - he's been on TV (primarily Sunday shows) for the last 300 consecutive weeks or something.

Because he was, and still is, a prominent senator (and a Republican who won't publicly poo poo himself whenever he gets on stage to boot, an increasing rarity in today's senate.) Kerry never really went dark either after his loss, if anything he was actually gaining clout, leading up to becoming SoS.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
All this talk about losers running and no-one mention's Grover Cleveland's nonconsecutive terms? For shame.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The thing about SC is that it comes after IA, NH and NV, (or does it precede Nevada too?,) and if Graham wipes out in those then SC won't back a loser. Iowa and New Hampshire in particular walk to their own beats but SC tends to be a follower. If he can soak up moderate votes in NH or somehow use a divided field to sneak into a top position in Iowa then he'd probably have a pretty good shot at winning his own state.

quote:

By privately coming to them with the same criticism he would have after the fact?
Yes. And then there would be dialogue where the two sides go back and forth and talk about the issue. This sort of thing does happen in government, even more often historically than it does now.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Thank you. For all the circlejerking about how much R primary voters would hate him, the quips on the last few pages have been really gross.

Imagine how stupid and lovely all of the non-gay lazy quips that are thrown out at other Republican candidates come off to normal people!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm not really a MIGF fan either, fortunately you don't actually have to read everyone's posts. He did push that Rauner narrative though and after considering it, I do think thats something worth paying attention to, if not for 16 then for 20.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Its odd though, despite Republicans winning the polling battle on abortion, I feel that Democrats have won the messaging war by rephrasing it as being part of a broader womens' rights debate. There's more votes in allowing abortion than in further restricting it.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Fulchrum posted:

The fact that they are referred to as anything other than "anti-choice" shows they won on messaging. They have no rightful claim to any moral authority here, so having anything is a sign they conned it.

quote:

The fact that they are referred to as anything other than "anti-life" shows they won on messaging. They have no rightful claim to any moral authority here, so having anything is a sign they conned it.
Go get hosed.

edit: Just to be clear, I don't give a drat about abortion either way, I just think that your argument is total garbage.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Fulchrum posted:

Get hosed yourself. Claiming that people who want abortion to be available as an option are anti-life is completely loving disingenuous, because it completely ignores the positions. One side wants women to have the option about their own bodies, the other does not. That is the reality of the positions, and dressing them up as anything else is just bullshit.

Once again...

quote:

Get hosed yourself. Claiming that people who want lives to be saved are anti-choice is completely loving disingenuous, because it completely ignores the positions. One side wants child murder to be banned, the other does not. That is the reality of the positions, and dressing them up as anything else is just bullshit.

You're just repeating a party line and it reads like bullshit when I can plug in the other sides words and have it come off all the same.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 5, 2014

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Why? That white, sexually available women demographic is large and swingy. It should be targeted.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

I'm shocked that Pennsylvania is nowhere to be found on that list.

That and Minnesota seem to be the only ones missing. Republicans had occasionally hoped for movement in Oregon and Maine's 2nd too, if I remember correctly.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
That guy in the lower left isn't Ron Paul Sr. is it? They know he's not running, right?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

PupsOfWar posted:

What happened to thrust Cruz ahead of Rubio and Jindal in the "ethnic guy who the GoP thinks will save it from the yawning abyss of demographic doom" classic, anyway? I could swear I recall more buzz about Rubio, two years ago.

Well aside from the fact that Cruz wasn't even a senator two years ago, Jindal gave a pretty crappy SOTU address and slowly managed to take his 80% approval rating and turn it into a 30% one. Rubio tried (succeeded?) in going centrist on immigration so the base viewed him as a sellout.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Raskolnikov38 posted:

That's who they gave the main one to. They also attempted a shotgun approach with Mike Lee giving the Ted Cruz rebuttal to the SOTU and Rand Paul also gave his own.

That wasn't a co-ordinated effort though, that was special snowflakes wanting to get a camera on themselves.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Good luck getting ANYONE to support him too, with the way he treated donors, other candidates and interested outsiders in 2008 and even 2010/12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
You guys give the Republicans too much credit. Will they be crazy? Of course, they've had crazy poo poo going on since at least Ford vs. Reagan. Its going to be up to the open Democratic primary to push 2016 over the edge in craziness.

• Locked thread