Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
I want to pre-emtively declare than anyone who mentions Warren in this thread has no idea who they are talking about. Seriously pay close attention to her for more than one hour and you will see that she has neither the charisma, the art nor possibly the stomach to run for POTUS. She is not a natural politician. Not to mention: her age, and her not even completing her first senate term. Warren will absolutely not be a 2016 contender.

Brigadier Sockface fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Another great asset to consider about Clinton is that she quite possibly may have the power to bring West Virginia, Arkansas and Louisiana back under the fold. Although that may be a bit of a tall order.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Bread Zeppelin posted:

If I wanted to run for president, I'd want to keep my high-level government position to stay in the public's consciousness. There will be a generation of first-time voters in 2016 who won't have any knowledge of what the Clinton name means.

This is wrong because:
- If she declares she will do it at the end of 2014/beginning of 2015. 2 years is not a generation. Mitt Romney stopped being governor 5 years ago.

-Secretary of state is a full time job and she cannot campaign across the states when she is working overseas. She would have to resign, so may as well do it now.

-The Clintons know how to stay in the public consciousness. Bill stopped being president 11 years ago.

Brigadier Sockface fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 7, 2012

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

R.A. Dickey posted:

Don't discount for a second how badly New York media/donors/power brokers long for a New York candidate.

I do feel absolutely confident in predicting that one half of the eventual P/VP nomination ticket will hail from New York.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Ragingsheep posted:

As an Australian who has an interest in US politics, what's the big appeal of Hillary?

A combination of missing the prosperity of the 90s, and years of watching her prove her competence on the national stage over and over.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Constantly LARPing posted:

No, it won't. If you think Hispanics will largely move their support to Republicans because of who they are running, I'd like you to explain why blacks didn't get excited about Herman Freaking Cain.

The comparison you are looking for is not Herman Cain. It is Ted Cruz in Texas.

Romney lost the Hispanic vote 30-70.
Ted Cruz, the Hispanic Republican, lost it 36-64.
(source)

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

menino posted:

Longshot for the GOP, but what about George P. Bush? He is running for statewide office in Texas, but they're unsure for exactly what office.

Seems better suited for 2020 or later though.

Oh sure lets vote for a random guy nobody knows who's never done anything for president.

I doubt there is even a chance of Cuomo, Gilibrand and O'Malley running against each other in a competitive primary. They way I understand it is that they're all close to the Clintons and if Hillary would step aside the Clinton machine Bill and Hillary would anoint one of them.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

menino posted:

Really? Is his experience is dramatically different from Obama's?

e:

Yeah, probably not.

Yes. In 2004 senator-elect Obama was an experienced politician who had won elections before and had a rather excited national following.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Kim Jong Il posted:

I just remembered that after Gore lost in 2000, the rumored early 2004 front runners were Gray Davis and Roy Barnes. After Bush won in 2000, Hillary and McCain obviously immediately came to mind, but there was also a lot of talk that George Allen would be the guy to watch to keep the Bush coalition together.

So, who of the current front runners is going to implode before even getting to the primaries?

We're keeping our eyes on Chris Christie. :v:

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

raito posted:

The 12th amendment deals with requirements for service (age/residency/natural-born citizen), while the 22nd amendment deals with requirements for election ("No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice".

Bill Clinton, George Bush or Barrack Obama aren't going to be on any ticket again ever.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
edit. Oops

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Someone isn't popular.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

agarjogger posted:

God Rand is basically the worst. He thinks he's funny, too. He joined a comedy group in college and kidnapped a girl, among other funny things they did. If you read their dispatches, they are so unfunny it will literally put you in a pissy mood for the rest of the day. It reads like it came out of a computer-generated inverse derivation of humor, a veritable black hole of levity.

Whoa! Paul dispatches? Someone had better look into those.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

greatn posted:

I don't think anyone could steal the primary from Hilary again. Didn't they already change the delegate rules to make the way Obama did it a lot less plausible?

No.

canyonero posted:

I was just reading this on PPP's site as well. This makes me wonder what a 2016 map would look like. Does Hillary make other Southern (I realize Kentuckians may not consider themselves Southern) states back in play? Does her nomination help Republicans get back into states that Obama won or made close (VA and NC come to mind)?

Ever since '92 & '96 the Clinton states of Arkansas, West Virginia and Tennessee (especially WV which had traditionally been a solid D) have been trending away from the Democrats as a block. Something in the ballpark of 46% in 2000, 44% in 2004, 40% in 2008 and 37% in 2012.

But yeah, I am certain that the face of Hillary Clinton is exactly the face of the Democratic party that will appeal to the voters of these states. They never accepted Obama, Kerry was a Northern liberal and I'm not too sure about what their issue with Gore was though it may just have been that Bush was right up their alley. However the Clinton machine Bill and Hillary know exactly how to appeal to those working, hard working, white Americans.

I can't include Kentucky though. Bill never won a majority there and it doesn't really have a Democratic tradition. With her current soaring approval numbers I suspect that that 48% is Hillary's ceiling. Of the three Tennessee was the most friendly to Obama, which looks then infinitely better for her, and if WV can succeed in not electing a Republican senator in 2014, I am certain she'd be able to carry it.

SilentD posted:

On the other hand Clinton + a Castro would be great for shoring up minority support in our growing interest blocks.

That certainly sounds like a fierce combination.

Brigadier Sockface fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 12, 2012

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
The key thing with the Democratic primaries is that, if she does run, those who are politically close to the Clintons will not challenge her and will instead internally campaign to be her running mate.

We know for sure that Cuomo and Gillibrand are firmly in this inner circle. I suspect that O'Malley and the Castro brothers may be as well seeing as they originally supported her in 2008 as a superdelegate and through their contributions (well, Julián originally supported Edwards, but Joaquin was 100%). However, O'Malley did switch to Obama once he became inevitable so who knows, though he seems deferential when talking about her in recent days.

Julián won't run in 2016 unless Obama picks him up for something or he somehow magically becomes governor of Texas in 2014, but that's not going to happen (by the way, the next Democrat who does becomes governor of Texas may very likely be president soon after). Senator Cory Booker is not going to run one year into the job, but Governor Cory Booker may. My feeling is that he won't though.

Joe Biden though. Who knows what that crazy guy's gonna do next.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Altogether now: that dog don't hunt!

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Mitt Romney 2 doesn't stand a chance.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Adar posted:

Makes a lot more sense for him; he can take a crack at a suddenly really popular Christie with no guarantee of victory, or he can grab an open seat where he starts off with a default 60% of the vote. The last two Dem candidates were senators and the one before that went Senate -> VP, so it's not even a big deal these days.

Hmm. Not a lot of opportunities to rescue old ladies from trees or get cats from burning fires in the senate. I think Governorship would have suited him better.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

A human heart posted:

Is there any chance that Herman Cain somehow pulls a Gingrich and people forget about his scandals and he runs again?

http://www.politico.com/story/2012/12/poll-herman-cain-tops-saxby-chambliss-in-primary-84567.html

quote:

Herman Cain would crush Sen. Saxby Chambliss in a Republican primary if the pizza mogul were to run in 2014, according to a poll released Tuesday.

Cain led Chambliss (R-Ga.) 50 percent to 36 percent in a survey from Public Policy Polling.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
So which liberal Democrat do you think is most likely to run in 2016, not with the intention to win, but in order to keep the main candidates honest? I doubt seeing Kucinich in there again, but what about Howard Dean? Any ambitious representatives or governors we ought to keep an eye on?

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Zwabu posted:

Hey she won that, so more mariachi and toreadors it is!

Hillary didn't win Texas.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

greatn posted:

Yeah she did.

No Mark. Clinton won more delegates than Obama in the primary, 65 to 61, however Obama won the caucuses by a much wider margin giving him the overall victory: 99 to 94.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
OK this is off topic- but I used to bank on Gabrielle Giffords making a return to Arizona politics in either a run for senator or the Governor's office. Looking at her now, though she does seem to have gotten remarkably better, it looks as if she's decided to be a gun-control lobbyist from now on. I should write her off shouldn't I?

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
What I don't understand is why Biden seems to consistently have a low national approval rating.
Taking a snapshot of today from Pew Biden's at 42/42, but their Cheney numbers at the start of Bush's second term were 48/42.

Brigadier Sockface fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jan 20, 2013

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

But is Biden really all that popular? Pew has his approval ratings at 42% 10 points lower than Obama's.

I'm not saying he can't become popular later, or he wouldn't become popular actively running in a primary. But right now, Biden seems to be more of the Beltway favorite more than anything else.

Does Cuomo have ties to the Clinton camp that make you certain of that? Or is she just that big of a force that he probably won't consider it, while Biden is at least possibly beatable?

Former HUD Secretary Cuomo and the Clintons be tight. Its been said the he considers Bill to be his mentor and solicits his advice regularly.

Brigadier Sockface fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 22, 2013

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
I can imagine Christie adding some color to the GOP debate. It's going to be either him or Rubio. I have a deep desire for Rand to win some states and play kingmaker though. Christie, spurned, goes ballistic.

Brigadier Sockface fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 22, 2013

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Waterbed posted:

I want to imagine a huge reason Biden isn't that popular is because not as many really knows about him besides "lol gaffe machine".

With full media attention, that could change.

Edit: Also I fully believe Christie stands the highest chance of winning in the GOP so people will probably stand behind him begrudgingly regardless of what happens. He's going to get the nod IMO. Then again I'm a total idiot!

If it were Hillary vs Christie, I'd be hopeful to see Arkansas and West Virgina go blue.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
At last, now that the inauguration ceremony is done with we can now fully focus on this, the country's most pressing issue.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Oh boy! Anyone else excited about the Hillary Clinton (67/26 ABC/WaPo) Benghazi poo poo-show today?

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

ChlamydiaJones posted:

At least we have http://www.hillaryis45.com to keep us abreast of her progress in this pursuit!

Same guy or copycat site?

Edit: By the way, curiosity made me take a look at their commentary for the hearing (they link this thread on their front page btw), and it looks like purges are in aid of already. HRC lost quite a few long-term fans today.

Brigadier Sockface fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 24, 2013

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Oh lord. It's poo poo like this why Pierce calls Politico Tigerbeat on the Potomac.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Alter Ego posted:

Politico REALLY hates Joe Biden.

Personally, I don't know how or why--even if you're not the biggest fan of his politics, Joe's an unimpeachably good person.

I think the vice president is technically unimpeachable seeing as how he would have to preside over his own impeachment.

Oh and guess who's at it again!

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

SombreroAgnew posted:

I don't know, how big of an outcry would there really be if you picked a mayor of a large city for the VP slot?

There would be airs of McCain-Palin with an old codger and an untested neophyte a heartbeat away.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Orange Pilot posted:

Caught Corey Booker on Bill Maher. I really enjoyed his demeanor, how I wish more politicians acted. I could not see him running against someone like Hilary though, not even VP material.
Which got me thinking, if Hilary did get the nomination, who do you think her VP would be?

Someone Hispanic if she wants to pander jussst right.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
There already is a Castro brother in congress!

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
So is Jeb Bush taking 2016 seriously? Why else would he do a complete 180 on immigration? Why would he even bother? He should know he doesn't have a chance.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
The defending big tobacco companies thing though is always going to haunt her in a Democratic primary.

VVV Hillary bellwether?

Brigadier Sockface fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 6, 2013

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Red_Mage posted:

What's the GOP take on some of the swing state Governors that will be looking for something new come 2016. Specifically Sandoval or Kasich? I know Kasich is relatively disliked, but having a governor/former governor that is likely to deliver one of those vital swing states seems like a good plan, even if one of them is Rick Scott.

Sandoval is pro-choice.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Its interesting how Hillary's age is this giant drawback when noone ever once brought up Newt's or Herman Cain's ages last year. Is it because she's a woman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Joementum posted:

One of Rand's top staffers has left to organize for him in primary states.

It's no secret that Rand is running in 2016, the only question is whether he honestly believes he has a shot. If he's as cynical as I am, he'll know that he can't possibly win and focus on the grifter side of the campaign, soaking up as much money for Campaign For Liberty as he can. It's hard to know whether this move is in line with that effort or whether he has a sincere belief that there's a future for a member of the Paul family in national politics.

If he's in it just for the dollars then he'll have to milk it for all it's worth because January 2016 is his deadline to resign his senate seat if he goes all in. Rubio's deadline is in June.

• Locked thread