Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

ABC News posted:

During an interview for “This Week,” real estate mogul Donald Trump questioned whether Texas Sen. Ted Cruz would be eligible for the White House given his Canadian birth.

“If he was born in Canada, perhaps not.” Trump told ABC’s Jonathan Karl.

“I don’t know the circumstances. I heard somebody told me he was born in Canada. That’s really his thing,” he said.

Trump also defended his previous accusation that President Obama may not actually have been born in the United States — a conspiracy theory that has been proven false — when asked about the issue by Karl.

“Well, I don’t know, was there a birth certificate? You tell me. You know some people say that was not his birth certificate. So maybe it was; maybe it wasn’t,” Trump said.
Source.

"Why would I want to invade someone's privacy by repeatedly bringing up where that person may or not have been born? That's their thing."- Donald loving Trump.

Meanwhile in washed-up tea party celebrity news: Palin joins Team Rand.

Tossed Word Salad posted:

Mrs. Palin attributed the governor’s rising popularity to fake situations set up by what she called a “YouTube videographer,” the Daily Mail reported.

“Ya know, some people look at him as: ‘Ah man, he’s a governor who goes rogue.’ No, ya know he’s got a shtick going there where he’s got a YouTube videographer following him around, kind of these set up situations sometimes so he can be seen as perhaps going rogue,” she said. “But Chris Christie’s for more government and his record proves that, whereas Rand Paul with that healthy libertarian streak that we need more of, in our politicians, team Rand Paul.”

Source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Peace Gold Love, loving seriously? This is the moral vanguard of America. The dude who puts gold as critical as peace and love?

Has anyone checked if Paul is a literal dragon?

You can't invest in peace and love then drive the market through laws and panic about the economy, so gold is better.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
The Daily Beast has an article with some statements from Ted Cruz's classmates at Princeton.

The Daily Beast posted:

"I remember very specifically that he had a book in Spanish and the title was Was Karl Marx a Satanist? And I thought, who is this person?" Mazin says of Ted Cruz. “Even in 1988, he was politically extreme in a way that was surprising to me.”
By Mazin’s account and those of multiple members of Princeton’s class of 1992, the Ted Cruz who arrived as a college freshman in 1988 was nearly identical to the man who arrived in Washington as a freshman Republican senator in 2013: intelligent, confident, fixated on conservative political theory, and deeply polarizing.
“It was my distinct impression that Ted had nothing to learn from anyone else,” said Erik Leitch, who lived in Butler College with Cruz. Leitch said he remembers Cruz as someone who wanted to argue over anything or nothing, just for the exercise of arguing. “The only point of Ted talking to you was to convince you of the rightness of his views."
In addition to Mazin and Leitch, several fellow classmates who asked that their names not be used described the young Cruz with words like “abrasive,” "intense," “strident,” “crank,” and “arrogant." Four independently offered the word “creepy,” with some pointing to Cruz’s habit of donning a paisley bathrobe and walking to the opposite end of their dorm’s hallway where the female students lived.
“I would end up fielding the [girls’] complaints: 'Could you please keep your roommate out of our hallway?'" Mazin says.

Throughout those years, Cruz and Panton remained friends, and Panton still speaks highly of him, saying with praise that the one word that describes Cruz best is “consistent.”
“He's not someone who shifts in the wind,” Panton says. “The Ted Cruz that I knew at 17 years old is exactly the same as the Ted Cruz I know at 42 years old. He was very conservative then, and an outspoken conservative. He remains strongly conservative today."

Craig Mazin said he knew some people might be afraid to speak in the press about a senator, but added of Cruz, “We should be afraid that someone like that has power.”
And the idea that his freshman roommate could someday be the leader of the free world? “I would rather have anybody else be the president of the United States. Anyone,” Mazin said. “I would rather pick somebody from the phone book."

So the bottom line is that he was creepy, yet ideologically consistent. Not exactly the most groundbreaking revelations...

Source.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Name that GOP hopeful!
John Bolton

quote:

Gay marriage is something I’ve thought about at length as I’ve looked at my future.

I know this is just him admitting that this is a political decision but it's amusing to think that he could also be planning on marrying a man in the future.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Maddow is doubling down on the Rand Paul plagiarism story, thanks to some investigative research by Buzzfeed's Andrew Kaczynski.

First: Paul's speech about immigration referencing the film Stand And Deliver.

Second: Wikipedia with lines directly lifted from it underlined.

I'm sure Maddow is dying to get him back on the show so she can ask him if he still believes that true freedom is the ability to not allow blacks into your place of business. This may be only the beginning.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Rand Paul has the classiest, most Kentucky solution for the problem of "haters" impugning his honor. A slap with a glove and a meeting at the dueling fields, obviously.

Rand Paul posted:

"I will admit, sometimes we haven't footnoted things properly," Paul agreed. "In fact, I've given thousands of speeches and I don't think I've ever footnoted any of those speeches... I've written scientific papers. I know how to footnote things. But we've never footnoted speeches. And if that's the standard I'm going to be held to, yes, we will change and we will footnote things."

"But the difference is, I take it as an insult and I will not lie down and say people can call me dishonest, misleading or misrepresenting," he added. "And like I say, if, you know, if dueling were legal in Kentucky, if they keep it up, you know, it would be a duel challenge. But I can't do that, because I can't hold office in Kentucky then."

It's quite a relief that Rand is not in charge of local laws anymore.

Source.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Not so fast. Rand Paul is hiring a lot of the same staff that Romney had in 2012 and we all can remember what a well-oiled machine the Romney campaign was.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

AYC posted:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/17/hillary-clinton-marijuana_n_5505379.html

Clinton's stance on marijuana is about what you'd expect.

If it goes fast, expect her to do an about-face and support a federal reclassification once she becomes President.

If she gets hit hard from the left in the primaries she may make rescheduling part of her platform, but I doubt she would do it if she was already president. Especially if her husband's presidency is any metric to go by.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

DynamicSloth posted:

No one running for President this side of a Kucinich level troll is going to come out in favour of a Federal reclassification (that could never pass the House OR Senate anyway), every Democrat will promise not to molest Colorado and Washington and by implication any other state that want's to join the choom gang, Republicans will basically have to as well if they want to compete in Colorado in the general.

Exactly. Even if it proves massively successful with no problems, mark my words, there will still be "concerns." Which means "Great for you guys, but I'm not going to step in any bear traps."

I mean, Christ, she still considers the statement "medical marijuana can help sick people" to be "radical candor." We went through the same hope-pinning with Obama and he was at least indicating that he was willing to shake things up during his campaign.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Rand Paul and Rick Perry have been dueling with op-eds. Perry says that US needs to flex military muscle in regards to the border situation and calls Paul an isolationist. The entire thing basically boils down to a religious debate. Specifically the question of What Would Ronald Reagan Do?

NY Mag posted:

As is often the case with intra-Republican squabbles, the dispute has taken the form of a Reagan-Off. All sides take as settled fact the premise that Reagan revealed the truth to the world in its entirety forever and ever, and any revisions to the Party canon must make the case that rival claimants have incorrectly interpreted the Reagan writ. The ritual can be seen in the dueling op-eds.

I don't have a WSJ subscription so I can't get an exact count of how many times Paul namedrops His Reaganess, but Perry's first op-ed has 8 mentions of Reagan. Paul follows up with 7 Reagan mentions, which may seem small, but they are all impressively dropped within two paragraphs.

It's pretty obvious that the takeaway from this is that whoever writes the op-ed with the most "Ronald Reagan"s in the smallest amount of text will be GOP nominee for president.

Source.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

SedanChair posted:

I didn't say she was in or out of anything, I just said she is basically a Republican, which is true. Take away the window-dressing of identity politics and you are left with "free market" supporters of the investor class like Clinton and Warren.

As Charles Pierce says, "One of our political parties is completely sold out to big business interests, the other is insane."

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah Rand Paul is trying to shape himself into Silicon Valley's Republican option. http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/07/rand-pauls-silicon-valley-charm-offensive.html

Zuckerburg and a number of other big money SV executives already love Rand Paul so expect more to come.

Fuckoff huge corporations are in support of having a libertarian-leaning president? Woah. I need to sit down for a minute.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

De Nomolos posted:

Well, it IS noteworthy that they're backing this as opposed to CoC Republicanism. CoC backs infrastructure. Libertarians will DISRUPT your roads with private flying machines, probably.

All of these tech companies have mini-company towns surrounding them. May as well just let them control the whole state.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Tender Bender posted:

Does Carson actually express those "I know better than Obama about issues because I'm a top neurosurgeon" sentiments I see in Facebook/twitter macros, or are True Conservatives just making those themselves? There's nothing more obnoxious than someone who thinks they're literally better than other people at everything because they have an advanced skillset in one specific area.

He was on Fox News recently saying that we need to be afraid because one of the Ebola patients in the US could be offered a million dollars to pee in our water supply. Obviously he has his finger on the pulse of the true issues.

Source.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
I say let them debate anyway. The people will decide.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Lote posted:

Perfectly consistent. He just wants Obama to call a joint session of Congress so he can say, "No." to his face.

He specifically says "If I were president." So President Rand Paul would call a joint session of Congress so that Senator Rand Paul could have a dramatic speech against warmongering.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
He is not an isolationist, nor an interventionist. He is neither the alpha or the omega. He is the Aqua Buddha.

Rand Paul posted:

This administration’s dereliction of duty has both sins of action and inaction, which is what happens when you are flailing around wildly, without careful strategic thinking.

Pretty much sums up Rand Paul's media appearances in the last two weeks.

Rand Paul posted:

Once we have decided that we have an enemy that requires destruction, we must have a comprehensive strategy—a realistic policy applying military power and skillful diplomacy to protect our national interests.

"Attention enemy: We are now required to destroy you."

Rand Paul posted:

ISIS is a global threat; we should treat it accordingly and build a coalition of nations who are also threatened by the rise of the Islamic State.

Something like a global war on terror?

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Fulchrum posted:

Get hosed yourself. Claiming that people who want abortion to be available as an option are anti-life is completely loving disingenuous, because it completely ignores the positions. One side wants women to have the option about their own bodies, the other does not. That is the reality of the positions, and dressing them up as anything else is just bullshit.

One man's bullshit is another man's party line.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Fulchrum posted:

And even though one side is dealing with reality and the other isn't, we need to compromise.

I never said anything about compromise. Just that specific messaging works because it's targeting a specific side. Preaching to the choir.

Lycus posted:

I think someone once posted another graph showing support for abortion rights in the youngest adult age group has been dropping relatively quickly. It's just not following the same trends as same-sex marriage and marijuana legalization.

Dead baby pictures are a powerful motivator.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Let me look into my extensive polling data. *pries open asscheeks*

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

My Imaginary GF posted:

Just do a pull from facebook/twitter to save on expenses

Great, Facebook deleted my profile just for asking to get the email addresses of all of the white, sexually available women in order to get their opinions about a photo. Thanks a lot rear end in a top hat.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Gyges posted:

Professional or recreational?

Medicinal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Everyone's favorite neurosurgeon, Dr. Ben Carson, has officially changed his party registration from Tea Party to GOP.

He's running.

• Locked thread