Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Everything I've read while following the 2012 election suggests that Biden really wants to run for president in 2016. Politico had a very insidery ebook a month or two back "Obama's Last Stand" where people in the White House noticed that Biden was a bit too willing to do fundraisers with rich Democratic donors and preferred to be deployed to early primary states such as Iowa and New Hampshire over the others. He also doesn't deny any intention of running like Hillary has done repeatedly in her interviews.

If Hillary runs I think she would sweep all 50 states Al Gore 2000 style, with the more liberal challenger playing the role of Bill Bradley. If not things get more interesting, though it'd be pretty easy to guess that Cuomo would be the establishment favorite who they'd throw all their money towards if he got into the race. Would be interesting to see a Biden (White House favorite) vs. Cuomo (rich donors) battle.

JesusSinfulHands fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
In the right situation I could see Schweitzer having a decent shot, because he could easily unite the working class + liberal netroots coalition, which precious Democratic politicians are capable of doing. I mean the main reason Obama won the nomination (besides the decent levels of institutional support that Joememtum referred to) over the preferred choice of most of the rich Democratic donors was his ability to unite the liberal netroots/blacks/young voters, compared to the liberal favorites of years past with limited appeal elsewhere (Hart/Bradley/Dean/etc). Schweitzer has a similar broad appeal in the primaries and in the national election could even make states like the Dakotas, Missouri, and Indiana competitive.

Unfortunately for him I don't know if 2016 is that right situation. On the plus Democrats seem to not like Obama's cool and non-confrontational manner and might be looking for more of a fighter this time around. On the other hand there are plenty of potential candidates who will have strong institutional support and are also tolerable to the liberal wing of the party (Clinton/Cuomo/Biden) and I suspect the female half (more than that, actually) of the Democratic Party will be highly motivated to put the first female president in the White House in 2016. Schweitzer's branding iron, hunting, pro-gun schtick won't hold much appeal to them.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

axeil posted:

However if she ran against Biden it'd be a very tough call. I also have no clue who Obama would endorse in that scenario. Maybe neither?

From an article in October about the Clintons from noted insider John Heilemann:

quote:

But whatever the reality, this will not be a stance she’ll be able to maintain for long. Within months of her departure from the State Department early next year, the pressure for a yea or nay will begin to mount. And it will only be made more severe by the fact that Obama, in the words of one Democratic panjandrum, “couldn’t possibly be more disengaged from the question of party succession—he just doesn’t give a poo poo.”

I can believe this because that is the most Obama thing

http://nymag.com/news/politics/elections-2012/bill-hillary-clinton-2012-10/#print

• Locked thread