Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Gillibrand is very popular, but I think she's too young and has too little name recognition for top of the ticket. I'd keep an eye on her for VP, though.

It probably goes without saying but I'm not sure how either party runs a ticket that does not have a minority or a woman as part of it in 2016 onwards, given the results last night.

edit - If Biden and Clinton run, it's almost certainly going to be Cuomo unless he gets scandal'd in the next four years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

jeffersonlives posted:

And unless Hillary moves back to Arkansas, one you will never see.

They can get KG an apartment in Jersey for a few months, it's very easy to circumvent the constitutional ineligibilty

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

There's a decent chance that a Hillary candidacy expands the map to some southern states. Bill Clinton was (and is) very popular in the south, and I don't expect the animus of a woman candidate to be as great as it was against a black man in those areas. Hillary could have a very real chance of picking up places like Kentucky, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Arkansas while maintaining the existing Obama map.

I don't really see where the Republicans go from here in terms of building a winnable EC coalition, especially if Obama passes immigration reform.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Does Herman Cain have a son that can run in 2016? Alternately, just get Herman Cain again. :getin:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

I eagerly await Rand "Aqua Buddah" Paul's college years to be discussed on the national stage, because that's a mine of hilarity that hasn't been tapped out yet.

Also his campaign staffer curb stomping someone protesting him during his senate race.

:allears:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

I would unironically support more states adopting the dumbfuck Texas primary system because the hilarity would be magnificent.

Also, because there's something to be said for having a candidate prove they can work both the ballot box and the caucus, would certainly make campaigns step up their ground operations.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Biden 2016 etc etc.

If only for The Onion headlines.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Lucky, all I can remember is the breathless media coverage of the PUMAs long after the point where it was obvious Obama had won the primary.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Joementum posted:

The biggest policy difference between Hillary and Obama is that she thought an individual healthcare mandate would be necessary and he was opposed to the idea.

Look at how well that one turned out for us!

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

blackmet posted:

I'm more concerned that Newark apparently doesn't have any kind of animal control that can handle this kind of situation. And that lack of delegation is worrisome in a leader.

I'm sure they do, but it gets more publicity if Booker does it and that could make people pay attention and get their own dogs inside?

I mean, it's not like being Mayor of Newark is that much of a thing that taking an hour to go help a dog is the end of the world.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

I'm not sure if there's a technical reason that primaries have to take place in the same calendar year of the election they're for (at the very least, I can't see a situation in which IA/NH legislatures wouldn't write new laws to push their primaries back to nov/dec) so I'm not sure that earlier conventions would really do much other than make the primaries start sooner and extend over the same approximate length of time.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

I, for one, eagerly await another round of debates featuring the Governor of the Great State of Vicodin.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Does Newt have a book scheduled for 2015 yet, because I really hope he runs again.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Is that Constitutional? In any case, I wouldn't be surprised if the KY State legislature changes it just for him.

Kentucky has a Democratic governor and House, so that plan probably isn't going to work.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Joementum posted:

On the other hand, Rand running for President would be a boon to the Democrats.

Yeah, but you expect the KDP to do something in the best interest of the national party? :haw:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Kentucky Democrats are basically Republicans, for what its worth.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Joementum posted:

The impact here is obvious: an early Florida primary would be a significant boost for Rubio or Jeb, shooting them to the top of the delegate counts. However, a Florida primary in the last week of February could still be advantageous for them as it would give them momentum heading into Super Tuesday.

Apparently, some Dem SuperPACs are trying to stir the pot on this one still: BuzzFeed was tipped off to a book Rubio put together in 2006 where he spends an entire chapter arguing for Florida's primary date to be moved up.

quote:

While these states provide the benefit of beginning the presidential election in small communities that can be easily traversed and thoroughly campaign, a larger and diverse state should follow them. Without such a bellwether state on the heels of Iowa and New Hampshire, many groups of Americans will be denied a voice in selecting the most qualified candidate. The only way to change the status quo is to force candidates to be tested by more diverse populations and to address a wider range of issues. Holding Florida's primary early would apply that force.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/rubio-argued-in-2006-for-moving-up-florida-primary

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Adele is politically conservative, afaik, or at least went on a rant a while ago about the UK taxing her too much. That's probably a bit of where it comes from.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Replace the debates with a series of voight-kampff tests, would probably be more instructional.

Might be less entertaining, though.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

It's probably reasonable to assume that unless something major happens (like, say, the Earth's crust breaking open and Magog crawling out to begin a ten-thousand year reign of terror) that every presidential candidate will be indebted to Wall Street.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

It is probably instructive to note that Obamas team during the re-elect was doing everything in their power to ensure Romney was the candidate they ran against aside from straight-up donating to him.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

DynamicSloth posted:

Three things... What? How? Why?

Michael Hastings wrote a little book about his coverage of the campaign called Panic 2012, apparently Obamas team was doing oppo work on Romney in 2011 and helping his primary challengers by glomming on to whatever negative stories they were releasing about him (Bain, tax returns, etc.)

IIRC, it was Obama staff who leaked the whole tax return story to the press just so the other primary campaigns would pick up on it and embarrass Roms. The Obama team also started the car elevator story, Politico ran it as a piece coming from a 'rival campaign' instead of from Obama.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Incidentally to Jebchat, Lindsey Graham was on MTP this morning and started shilling for him during the Syria segment. He also believes that immigration reform will deliver the Presidency to the GOP in the next cycle.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Ted Cruz is going to make these primaries amazing. Hell, he already is. I hope we get Newt and Cain back too, let's go all in.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Recycle Bin posted:

Are people seriously gauging the nation's temperature on George Zimmerman running for president?

It's an easy way to make a press release and also can help determine how much of the poll numbers are just name recognition.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

I hope he brings the sword to a debate.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

I'm actually curious if anyone brings up the NSA kerfluffle regarding Biden's 2016 aspirations. I'm not sure it'll end up being a huge deal among anyone but the vocal lefties that the Dems wrote off long ago, but it does seem like something that could drag Biden down in a world where Hillary and Biden are running simultaneously.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Hillary definitely tried to distance herself from the administration, so I'm not sure what would really stick other than BENGHAZI (hilariously enough, my phone now autocorrects that in upper case) and if I recall my polling, that dog don't hunt.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Rasmussen doesn't do polling, they set narratives. I'd expect the approval numbers to tick up over the next two years as the PPACA starts to take effect.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

The streaks on my used toilet paper have more predicative and analytical value than a Rasmussen poll.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Well yeah, but if you take out Ras and Fox it's like a 5 point spread rather than 15.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Joementum posted:

First guest: Glenn Greenwald because of course it is.

Mark Ames just got a boner the size of Long Island.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

The Warszawa posted:

Goddammit. Cruz and Rubio are actually strongly positioned to combat the xenophobic and racist elements of the Republican Party, and it's a shame to see Cruz give into the campaign equivalent of Stop-and-Frisk.

On the other hand, Alan Keyes and Herman Cain.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

The Warszawa posted:

Yeah, Cain going birther was equally disappointing. Did Keyes jump in too?

Unrelated, but from Collision 2012, there's a bit that demonstrates where the Democrats have gone incredibly right with engaging the Hispanic community.

I was digging a little deeper back to when Keyes worked for Reagan and tacitly defended apartheid but you know, the birther poo poo works too. :shepface:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

The Warszawa posted:

Oh goddammit.

I also wanna say Herman Cain's shades-of-Anita Bryant scandal was sourced from one of the other primary camps, but I don't remember if that was actually verified.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

The Warszawa posted:

Anita Bryant? Do you mean Anita Hill?

Yeah, my bad.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Thanks for putting the mental picture of Austan Goolsbee dunking on Ted Cruz into my head.

The logical conclusion of this, of course, is to add a White House/Congressional pickup hoops game to the annual roster of dumbass sporting events our elected officials participate in. Everyone knows about the annual Congressional Baseball Game, right?

Fun Fact: Ron Paul hit the first over-the-wall homer in 1979.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Sir Tonk posted:

Politico seems like a modern version of DrudgeReport (you know, with formatting), am I off-base on this at all?

Nah, you've pretty much hit the nail on the head.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Oh man, those O'Malley numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

I'm ready for Tea Party PUMAs and https://www.cruzis45.com.

• Locked thread