Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Or we could go all topsy-turvy, where a Clinton/Paul GE (god help us) makes the Democrats the party of a strong defense and the GOP the party of dovish isolationism

In case you hadn't noticed, Obama is Seal Team Sixing random AQ dudes in Libya and Somalia in broad daylight while conducting drone strikes over sovereign states on the daily. Ronnie Raygun would have wet his diapers over the sort of strikes the White House is authorizing these days and there's not a loving peep about it from anyone other than isolationist libertarians, I suppose. Ten years of bad war makes smart war look pretty drat good in comparison, I guess, or everyone's distracted by the domestic kerfluffles we're dealing with to be too mad about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

You're absolutely high if you think Warren would oppose Clinton from the left in a Dem primary, especially since the mythical progressive democrat hasn't been seen in the wild since Dean (and even that's arguable).

Ed - You're also high if you think Biden is seriously going to compete against Clinton in a primary. The "Democrats in Disarray!!" headlines write themselves in that case.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

jeffersonlives posted:

Biden is giving every sign that he is going to make the race as long as he feels up to it whether Clinton's in or not.

I have no doubts that Biden wants Clinton to know it's not a coronation and he'd be stupid to not hedge his bets against her deciding not to run but three years out I simply can't see him going all-in on Queen High. I definitely think he's angling for some sort of position in a Clinton WH though (or, hell, VP).

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

jeffersonlives posted:

Biden is the one organizing an infrastructure and trying to lock up minor politicians and establishment figures in Iowa/New Hampshire/South Carolina right now, not Clinton. He's going pretty far beyond shots across the bow and hedging bets.

It's not like he has anything to lose by running, even if he relatively flops he'll still do far better than 1988 and 2008.

What sounds more likely to you, though, that Biden *really* wants to go at it with the Clinton Machine and give the press endless horserace stories about Obama's SoS and VP sniping each other or that he's trying to angle himself as a kingmaker who can negotiate whatever he wants out of a presumable Clinton admin and toss this support over to her? I'm not trying to say that I'm right and you're wrong, but I just think scenario two is more likely than scenario one.

Transport Secretary Biden for Life.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Unfortunately his theoretical opponent is Hilary fuckin' Clinton which sort of upsets the traditional calculus in these hypothetical matchups.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Adar posted:

The problem with this argument is that Joe Biden is currently the Vice President in the Not Hillary Clinton administration.

I can't offhandedly recall if there's been a race wherein the sitting VP ran against a member of the sitting Presidents cabinet, but I'll grant you that Biden would be a very serious contender in this hypothetical matchup and he certainly will run if he thinks he can win.

I just don't think he can win, so he won't run. We'll see!

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

DynamicSloth posted:

Well the first contested Presidential contest for one.

:nsa:

Adar posted:

I know you think he can't and I'm very happily collecting bets from a lot of people who also think he can't, so you're not alone. The important thing, though, is that Biden most certainly thinks he can.

The other important thing and the reason that Biden isn't crazy is that Hillary lost to John Edwards in Iowa and is all but guaranteed to get destroyed in South Carolina, meaning that this time around she either scores a very early knockout or it goes to Super Tuesday -again- and every single person that has pissed off a Clinton since 1970-something lines up behind Not Hillary -again-. Granted, this time around the Senate majority leader is not actively recruiting Charismatic Black Guy to save the party from the ravening Clintonian hordes, but the only thing that really matters is Iowa, and Iowa has already wrecked her campaign once.

The real question - which remains to be seen - is how much of Clintonland gets sent to the gulag for failing her in '08. I'd like to think that they'll learn from their mistakes and see how much of Team Obama they can crib. Of course, if Unca Joe walks off with the Obama infrastructure than this race gets a lot more interesting.

ed - It'll be the height of hilarity if Clinton and Biden are both in it and Clinton starts hitting on UHC from the left, though. Bidencare has a nice ring to it.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Arkane's dad got some poo poo to answer for.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

How did you miss the best part of that story?

quote:

3. Potential VP nicknames. Romney’s search for a running mate was dubbed “Project Goldfish.” And his search brought him to New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (Pufferfish), former Minnesota governor Tim Pawlenty (Lakefish), Sen. Rob Portman of Ohio (Filet-O-Fish), Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida (Pescado) and Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin (Fishconsin).

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Don't sell Christie short, he can be both of the adults in the room at the same time by volume.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

SombreroAgnew posted:

Is there a good article about this?

Game Change broke this, I believe?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

I personally can't wait for the GOP primary contenders to run incredibly unflattering ads linking Christie with the mob.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Wow, that's a dumb move on the convention. I wonder if they're going to be open to another debate since the general will be starting that much earlier.

It'd be hilarious if we get another long burn on the Dem primary side like we saw in '08 (either real or imagined) that combined with an early convention relegates the GOP nom to McCain Mk. 2.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Ironically enough the only candidate I can think of who would put KY into play is Clinton. They loving love the Big Dog down there and HRC cleaned house in the '08 primary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

shadow puppet of a posted:

The important question now is, who makes the ideal running made for Ben Carson. Do they Biden him up with someone visually paltable like Fred Thompson? Roll the dice on a Lindsey Graham to appeal to women voters?

What color is the sky in your world where Ben Carson doesn't drop out after Iowa?

• Locked thread