Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Arzy'ing two years out. A new record! ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
So the man who killed Osama Bin Laden has been agreeing to interviews and will probably be in the headlines for saying awful, awful poo poo. If the GOP can figure out a way to get him to run for President he'd win with 70% of the vote.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Nonsense posted:

GOP doesn't give a poo poo about military heroes anymore except the ones coming home in body bags that can't object to being paraded in their ads.

Of course they don't but if they can manage to get an actual military celebrity like this on a ticket he could beat any democratic candidate in the country. We all know the GOP is bankrupt on the issue of treating soldiers well but voting for one allows them to maintain that self-deception. This is why Bush's aircraft carrier stunt was so popular at the time and Kerry's war medals were mocked at the GOP convention. If they can get a grain of truth mixed in with their big lie they really go for it.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
The guy I'm talking about was an enlisted Navy SEAL who is not in the military any more. He isn't bound by any of the rules that pertain to soldiers so he can say whatever the gently caress he wants. This is a very implausible scenario of course, but if someone with half a brain in the GOP puts two and two together on this it could be very bad. The anti-establishment political environment in this country is ripe for an outsider like this.

Can you imagine the collective jizzing that would happen if this guy went on national TV and said "Obama didn't get Bin Laden, I DID and I did it for conservative American values!" ?

Pinterest Mom posted:

President Wesley Clark.

You're kind of proving my point. Had Clark run as a conservative Republican he would have had a shot, and Clark didn't have near the celebrity status this guy could have if he wants it.

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 6, 2014

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

My Imaginary GF posted:

"loving braggert, any one of us would've killed Bin Laden. Why won't you give me more guns to do it?"

You over-estimate America's respect for enlisted military members. We like officers, not enlisted.

This isn't about "America's respect for enlisted" it's about how the Republican Party could exploit a military celebrity like this. We haven't had a military member do something this unique in all of American history. The dude killed the most hated man on the planet. I'm not saying he's the next Eisenhower, I'm saying he's the type of person that fulfills all of the conservative fantasies about a savior candidate. White, male, outspokenly xenophobic, conservative (by all accounts) and the ultimate military caricature. If plans aren't being made to get this guy a candidacy somewhere then the RNC should have their loving heads examined.

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 6, 2014

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Sir Kodiak posted:

The skill set to interact with the media and the public doesn't seem particularly similar to the skill set for being a Navy SEAL. The guy has a great hook for getting on camera but then he needs to be able to indefinitely maintain a marketable person. That's actually pretty hard, as evidenced by all the people who fail horribly at it.

Mitt Romney is the most awkward, wooden douche on Earth and he was one successful terrorist attack away from winning the general against an extremely personable, charismatic incumbent with a squeaky clean first term.

E: I'm not trying to convince anyone here, I just personally think this could be something to watch.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Ninjasaurus posted:

Benghazi was a successful terrorist attack, unless you're talking about one on American soil. Even then, the country would have rallied with the President like they did with Bush.

Man I really disagree with you on this here. I think another real terrorist attack on our soil (something major, not a single or small attack) would precipitate yet another wave of "Obama is the most inept President ever" and "at least Bush kept us safe". Can you imagine what Rush Limbaugh would say the next day? He basically drives the conservative narrative and he'd have trouble concealing his pleasure for weeks. A successful terrorist attack is basically number one on the GOP's wish list. They've all but said so openly for the last 6 years.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Sir Kodiak posted:

He wasn't particularly charismatic in public, but he maintained a palatable persona. His big gaffe required someone to capture video at a private event.

A matter of subjective opinion of course, but there are compilations of his gaffes that are 10 minutes long. His persona wasn't "palatable" as much as "conservatives would consider Gilbert Gottfreid palatable if they thought he could win an election". The truly marvelous thing about conservatives is their neverending ability to completely ignore their own standards when it comes to candidates. Mitt Romney was probably the most awkward, un-likeable Presidential nominee in my lifetime. That he came even remotely close to beating a sitting President says far more about the conservative voter than it does about Romney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
These people blame Obama for Ebola. You think they would "unite" behind Obama for anything?

• Locked thread