Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
2002: Democrats received 45% of the votes and took 46.9% of the seats.
2004: They received 46.6% of the votes and took 46.4% of the seats.
2006: They received 52% of the votes and took 53.6% of the seats.
2008: They received 52.9% of the votes and took 59.1% of the seats.
2010: They received 44.8% of the votes and took 44.4% of the seats.

2012: They received 49.1% (plurality) of the votes and took 46.2% of the seats.

The difference was bigger than most of the previous decade, but smaller than the 2008 victory. It was close enough that I'm not ready to say "2010 gerrymandering has ruined the decade!" or anything. A significant number of Republican wins were very close, I think there's a fair chance of 2014 re-takeover if the Republicans get blamed for all the budget nonsense (and people keep it in mind for 2 years).

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Inferior Third Season posted:

Yes, the 22nd amendment only refers to the president. The way it is worded, it may even be possible for Obama to run for VP, and take over as president again if needed, since it only talks about electing the president, but I am not a constitutional scholar.
Nope. That would violate the 12th amendment. You cannot become Vice President if you're not eligible to become President.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

They're more GOProstrate or GOPassive, really.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Of course Rand Paul is going to do well with NH Republicans. I wouldn't expect anything else.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

FadingChord posted:

(Speaking of how American politics always being about trolling people, the Federalists specifically made it legal to criticize the Vice President while making it a federal crime to criticize the president or Congress. For all the hemming and hawing about how the Founding Fathers gave us a sacrosanct Constitution, they sure did gently caress everything up a couple times.)
Was that bill entitled the "Haha, gently caress You, Jefferson Act"?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I guess McCain doesn't want to leave the Senate chambers via anyway other than on a gurney.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

It boggles me that people actually like that in a governor.

Highspeeddub posted:

After today Christie will also be known as the guy who shouts at teachers when they ask him a legitimate question. This NJ teacher asked him why he called New Jersey public schools 'failure factories' when public schools in that state have consistently ranked in the top ten in the nation for years. Christie wagged his finger at her and shouted, "What do you people want? Just do your jobs!"

I can't stop looking at that woman next to him and her malevolent smile.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Haha, Rand is losing his cool over this. Want to capitalize on this, Cruz?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

FMguru posted:

Clinton 1992 was a second-tier national figure, but a first-tier candidate compared to the rest of the Class of 1992. Pretty much all the bigger-name Dems, frightened by Bush's 91% approval rating after the Kuwait War, came down with severe cases of spending more time with their families - Cuomo, Biden, Kerry, Kerrey, Nunn, Gore, Bradley, and so on. Who was higher-tier than Clinton? Tsongas, Brown, Harkin?
From reading up on it, it seems like Harkin was considered the frontrunner early on. Clinton didn't do great in the earliest primaries but surged into frontrunner status during Super Tuesday.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

jeffersonlives posted:

Bernie, clarifying his recent comments hinting at a presidential run, says if he does run, it would "probably" be as an independent a la Nader instead of in the Democratic primaries. Silly on a number of levels, I think.
I don't know why he'd want to run for president at all. Seems useless. I think he's better off getting as much power within the Senate Democratic Caucus as he can and continue to use his position as a pulpit to advocate for left-wing policies. I don't know enough about what's going on in Vermont to know if a governor run in the future is possible, but that's probably as high as he an go.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I think all these "death of the Republican Party" scenarios that left-wingers like to fantasize about are just too naively optimistic. I remember them being popular right after 2008, and things didn't pan out that way.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

If it ultimately happens, I'll be happy about it, but I'm too skeptical now.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Insurance companies won't be as wealthy as they are now, but yeah,I figure private health insurance will be a thing that rich people have so that they don't have to wait their turn behind poor people to get all their health care.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

jeffersonlives posted:

The idea of impeachment or a recall drive is already being floated and Christie is at war with the Republican legislative caucuses, so probably a lot.
Really? I thought it might just hurt his 2016 ambitions, I didn't realize it was getting that serious.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

HFX posted:

In my opinion Hillary would be a terrible choice for a candidate. She carries a lot of negative baggage and negativity left, right, and center. Then again, the Republicans can make even worse choices than Romney.
People often say that, but I don't think polling ever showed that. She's reasonably liked by the left and center.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

It's in Scalia's living will to be kept on life support until a Republican president is inaugurated.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

skaboomizzy posted:

Hillary will cakewalk through everyone except Biden, who will put up token resistance through the early states. Schweitzer is campaigning to be the new Biden, aka "outspoken, quirky VP who appeals to blue-collar types who wouldn't normally vote for a woman (or minority) President". 95% of the electorate doesn't know that the VP has nothing at all to do with the President's agenda, it's all image. Schweitzer and his adorable dog will show up wherever, fire off a few down-home quips. That's his ceiling.
He's been saying critical things about Clinton, though. I don't think he'd be doing that if he was pre-campaigning for VP. That's why it seems like he's shooting for President, regardless of his chances.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

A million goons cried out in anguish when Feingold lost to a Tea Partier.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Joementum posted:

I think there's enough desire for a female Republican candidate that she could make a serious run of it, even from the non-traditional House member perch.

But her selection to give the SotU response has nothing to do with whatever ambitions she has for higher office.
Yeah, I think the Republicans the just wanted a woman to be the face GOP policy this year as another GOP rebuilding effort, and she's the highest-ranking Republican woman in Congress. I don't think they actually expert her to run for president or anything like that.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

What about Ryan?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I figure a good parallel to Christie might be Rudy Giuliani. If I remember correctly, lots of people where convinced that he was going to be the nominee in 2007, and then he completely crashed and burned when the actual primaries started.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

"See how bad I am at political retribution? I tried my hardest and the best thing I an come up with is 'he did badly in high school social studies'. I don't have enough aptitude for this to do anything as sophisticated as the traffic scandal."

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Haha, :wow: really wants him to run again. Every time Mitt said "no" he just kept on trying to convince him.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Dick Morris is an amazing human being. How does he keep convincing people to pay him for analysis?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I personally like how Hawaii's only leaning Obama.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Slate Action posted:

Nate Silver poo poo talking Dean Chambers constantly was amazing and we can only hope for something that hilarious in 2016. :allears:
Capped off by Chambers's stupid and ineffectual retort. "B-b-but he's just so effeminate! Not a real man like me!"

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Joementum could be a thing in 2016, as Joe Scarborough is kicking the tires on a possible 2016 run

Look at how well Jon Huntsman did. Who wouldn't want to drive in the "Jon Huntsman lane"?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Whenever a 3rd party candidate* that acquires some degree of popularity runs for president and loses, people seem to stop giving a poo poo about them right after the election. I think prominent left-wingers are better off focusing their time and money in trying to get people elected to city and state government, and then build up slowly. I like Bernie, but I don't think running for president would be worth anything.

*My opinion of him running in the Dem primary isn't much different.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 11, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Gyges posted:

Wonder how the world would change if Vice President Lieberman had been sworn in with Bush.
As funny as that is to think about, that probably wouldn't have happened. Even if the GOP had run a dummy Vice Presidential candidate in Texas and Lieberman won a clear plurality of EVs, the Senate would've voted to decide the winner and it had a GOP majority at the time.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

The Senate was actually split 50/50 at the time. A tie vote would have been broken by the President of the Senate, one Albert Gore Jr :getin:.
It was split in January 2001. I'm assuming the vote would've taken place in December 2000 when it was 54/46 GOP.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 30, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

poo poo, thought it was in December. Guess that's just the deadline for casting them. Well, whatever would've end up happening, it would've been enjoyable to watch.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 30, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Edit: drat it wrong button

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

The only legit experience for becoming president is being president. Repeal the 22nd amendment, only nominate ex-presidents from now on.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Taerkar posted:

Increased Death Penalties!
Pretty much. A lot of my politically-independent family members are all gung-ho right now about reducing the appeals process in California to speed up executions.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I don't think Rubio's been a favorite for a really long time, but I don't think any one is favored enough for anyone to predict that they're gonna be in the general. Some polls say Paul, some say Huckabee, etc. It's still completely up in the air.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Cruz strikes me as the new Ron Paul, that is: small but super-vocal fanbase.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Texas. Keep 'em contained.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

The GOP shouldn't be that deep into self reflection yet.

2008 is easily written off as a one time unavoidable loss and 2012 a one time disastrous mistake. There won't be any shift in policy or coalition until they lose a campaign that understands the 2008 demographic shift was real.

Besides, they're not gonna self-reflect if they're still winning Congress. I think you need several straight losses in every branch before you're goin' "Oh poo poo, what are we doing?"

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Right-wingers have a tendency to put homosexuality, pedophilia and polygamy under the same umbrella of "sexual deviancy". You're either a sexual deviant or you're not, and if you're advocating rights for one type of sexual deviancy, you're advocating for it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

More amusingly, Palin would lose Alaska to Clinton.

• Locked thread