Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Misandrist Duck posted:

Joe Biden has been joking the last few days about running in 2016. He will be 73, which I think would make him as old as Reagan in 1984.

I would be shocked if Rahm Emmanuel runs in the primary but he could be a VP option. He had something like a 54% approval rating with Chicago voters BEFORE this fall's teacher strike that will have only dropped his numbers lower.

I honestly hope that Biden has the sense not to run. I love Biden, I think he would be a great president, but running as a 74 year old is begging the right to pit him against a young guy and make the inevitable "heartbeat away" comparison that we did to Dole and McCain. Unless we are riding on a serious enthusiasm wave in 2016, I could see it costing us the election. Hilary won't exactly be a spring chicken at 69, but I think her age would instantly be less of a liability. She'd also be able to run with the momentum of being the first woman to take the office of president, which might get a lot of people out to the polls who were otherwise not enthusiastic about running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Antti posted:

I had to check and Jenna Bush would actually turn 35 on November 25th 2016 so she'd be constitutionally eligible by Inauguration Day.

Seriously though, I kind of think 2016 might still be too early for another Bush.

Joke scenarios aside, Jenna Bush is mostly liberal and it's exceedingly unlikely, if she ever took office, that she would run as a republican all family tradition aside. Her personal politics seem to be entirely focused on education, so I think she is more likely to stick with activism than to ever get into politics anyway.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

SHINEBLOCKA posted:

Do ya'll really buy that Christie is "too fat?"
We're a fatass nation and we love Kevin James. Everyone would make fun of him and it'd hurt him until the first debate when people see that he doesn't sound like Jabba The Hutt and doesn't sweat grease. As long as he appears mentally spry, it'll work out for him.

Of course if he ends up sweating through his shirt at a debate it'll look extra bad.

I'd love to pretend we're in a country where that doesn't matter, but I don't believe it at all. Having a deficiency like that - just like being "too old" - is just asking your opponents to attack you for it. Hell, the right tried, more than once, to attack the Obamas for being "too black".

serewit posted:

Gillibrand is very popular, but I think she's too young and has too little name recognition for top of the ticket. I'd keep an eye on her for VP, though.

It probably goes without saying but I'm not sure how either party runs a ticket that does not have a minority or a woman as part of it in 2016 onwards, given the results last night.

edit - If Biden and Clinton run, it's almost certainly going to be Cuomo unless he gets scandal'd in the next four years.

Clinton/Gillibrand would be a ticket I'd love to see.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

That DICK! posted:

Who could forget when Clinton was being inaugurated standing beside his bombshell wife, 25-year-old Hillary Clinton.

They meant "president # 45", as in "the president that comes after the 44th"

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Pleasant Friend posted:

What's the prospect for a celebrity candidate to attempt a run? Someone like Oprah Winfrey has the money and name recognition I imagine to make a legitimate challenge if they wanted to run.

Realistically, a celebrity candidate who didn't get into politics independently is unlikely to ever get a serious bid at the office of President. I think the closest we've had to a real celebrity president other than war heroes was Reagan, and Reagan had spent years in politics independent of being a cowboy actor.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I imagine that if Clinton runs Biden won't. There's only room for one older statesman from the current Whitehouse, and Hillary's got the edge in fundraising, age (She'd be inaugurated at 69, tied with Reagan, while Biden would be 74), and perceived capability (the media treats her with the seriousness she deserves, while Biden is portrayed as a gibbering gaffe machine). If he does run, Hillary would win out anyway.

Not that I don't think Biden is awesome, and I hope he does run, but between him and Hillary I wouldn't take bets.

This is exactly how I feel. I love uncle Joe, but I think his age is an unfortunate liability and I don't think he has the presence that Clinton has. Hilary is the kind of candidate that even the right would have to respect for her experience in executive leadership

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Nuclearmonkee posted:

First dude is enough. He needs to the cookie contest and all of the other stupid homemaker first lady traditions too. :3:

What would we call that, anyway? First Sir? First Guy? First Lord? "First husband" or "first spouse" sounds so awkward!

• Locked thread