Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Kaal posted:

I have to say that I rather doubt that the Lewinsky scandal is going to get much traction with the newest generation of voters who weren't even born yet when it happened. It was a GOP farce 18 years ago, and it'll only look like more of one to modern voters who have become even more tolerant of such things.

Anyone who is not a Republican and would be swayed over Bill's indiscretions will probably not appreciate that what he did somehow paints her running for the office in a negative light either.

Like, effectively blaming Hillary for her husband's infidelity as "gotcha" rebuke to the idea of the GOP waging a war on women is the most insane thought process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

National balanced budgets would be an outright disaster, imagine the debt ceiling standoff stomping on a human face...forever.

Even ignoring that the budget doesnt need to be balanced every FY to "balance" the budget now would be such a contraction it'd throw us back into true recession.

I'm mixed on state level balanced budgets. I want to say 2/3 of the state's have them. On the one hand, states have little control over macro level fiscal, monetary, and economic forces. When I was getting my MPA I was often butting heads with people over the issue. The system as is works about okay during "normal" times but so much pain at the local level is because states and municipalities have had to impose austerity due to a drying up of stimulus (and then GOP reaction).

Another issue is the credit agencies, who will pounce on any state or city because they're inherently based against governmental institutions.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Also the federal government is not built to accommodate a third party president. Nothing would make it out of the Oval Office. The president has to work through Congress utilizing his party. A third party candidate would be ineffective or like independents do now just be effectively members of one of the parties.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

glowing-fish posted:

This notice could go lots of places, but it certainly belongs here:

https://www.fivethirtyeight.com

is back up, with a new design and new writers, and everything. Lots of fun reading, although there is very little about politics currently.

I like Nate Silver but that wasn't fun reading.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Spatula City posted:

Wait, there are liberals that love Scarborough? NO loving WAY. Democrats, maybe. Liberals, no. He's not a culture warrior and supports gun control, but he's still a gently caress You Got Miner and a Beltway Serious Person.

I love watching his show but that no way translates into supporting him, if that's a thing.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

It's also probably just another piece of false equivocation. Since people feel the need to believe that MSNBC and Fox News are the same, observers who pretend to be above the fray just automatically assume that all liberals who watch MSNBC are just as rabid fans of Scarborough as conservatives are of Megyn Kelly or whoever.

The beltway circuit probably unironically views him as a serious person, but those people aren't real persons anyways.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

SedanChair posted:

Speaking of giving credit to Colbert [e: in a different thread], him on Morning Joe was one of the most embarrassing things I've ever seen, in a good way. He proved that they are not funny or even smart, they just lob pointlessly ribald and moronic japes at one another. I never saw a table full of people so deserving of suppression.

That's kind of why I watch it, that and a slight crush on mika brzezinski

Cable news is so bad. Fox news basically got too grim to even casually appreciate the ridiculousness of it though.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Pfirti86 posted:

Eh, only ~30% of Americans have a bachelors degree or higher. And I'm pretty sure that 70% of Americans are not burger flippers (though we do eat a lot of burgers).

Really? What is this number adjusted to for age?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

comes along bort posted:

Prepare to be as disappointed as most people are with his presidency then, because he's not gonna piss away his future speaking career actually saying what he thinks.

Obama could reveal that yes, he actually was born in Kenya and it would not diminish his post-presidency speaking opportunities one bit.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Yeah the majority of deportations are at the border, which is largely the result of increased border patrol presence, which has been snowballing before Obama even came into office. It is considered a 'deportation' if you catch the person right over the border, turn them around and have the walk back.

Deportations of undocumented who have been living here is kind of more complicated, but it is more that since Napolitano DHS has either been dragging its feet in deporting people or outright just dropping cases.

edit: also the legal process of actually removing someone who has been here for some amount of time is a lot longer than I think people realize. Even if Obama strolled into office in 2009 and from top down was like "We need to deport more people, now." (this isnt what happened) it wouldn't even be noticeable until like, now due to appeals. There'd have to be serious collusion with the immigration court judiciary to speed things up.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 22, 2014

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Phoenix wouldnt be super weird as itd be in downtown Phoenix which is the center of a sea of blue for Arizona and our mayor is ostensibly a liberal Dem, but it'd probably be bad press to see all the dead drunk party delegates collapsed on the sidewalk because it will be 130 degrees out.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

I would like to believe that the average Latino voter is going to see right through his transparent pandering and look at the stuff that regularly comes out of the party he willingly associates with but not being a minority I have no idea how tokenism and obvious pandering actually plays (I'm hoping about as well as Herman Cain).

I am not sure it is pandering as the Bushes are all legitimately pro-immigration, to the extent that G.W.'s immigration reform push really broke his cult of personality with the base. How much this is a personal conviction or just business minded policy who knows.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

mcmagic posted:

I won't believe that the worst president in 150 years' brother could get elected 8 years later. Even for as stupid a people as we are.

I dont know, I think people underestimate Jeb as a candidate and Hilary has been overestimated already. But I am not certain Bush has been rehabilitated enough image wise for his brother to win yet. If the economy us doing "better" by 2016 its still Hillarys race to lose.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

My biggest fear is basically Clinton's campaign being a repeat of 2008 and she just alienates a lot of people Obama has gathered into a national voting coalition.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Don't kid yourself. He's a Bush, and he's more H.W. than W. He's a top tier candidate.

And Perry will be DOA in 2016. He's just too dumb.

Yeah, if he can somehow elide the whole "brother to GWB" thing I bet, if the GOP got their heads out of their asses, would be a very competitive candidate. Not that I think he'd necessarily be a good president, but I'd worry more about him in the general than Rand "I hate Civil Rights" Paul.

edit: Unlike their father, Bush's sons aren't terrible campaigners so I definitely wouldn't be "he's terrible".

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

The thing is G.W. wasn't dumb, I mean a lot of things he did were "dumb" (re: evil), but he wasn't actually a total rube. That affect made him go from the gently caress up son of a dynasty to president of the United States and even in our fallen age that's still not an easy thing to do. People would underestimate him a lot and it cost the country.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Nixon wasnt particularly intellectually curious but that didnt stop him from being brilliant in his own way (not in any way that really did anyone good, bit still.)

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

The most infuriating thing is how boring the whole affair was.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

All of the internet looked bad in 1996.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

KevinTheW posted:

The main thing everyone glosses over with the Clinton affair was he was exploiting a low level staffer (and all the weird sexual harassment while he was governor). I'm sure this happens in politics all the time but it doesn't make it right and people (so called "progressive" democrats) let him off too easily on that. Regardless, this had zero to do with Hillary so gently caress all why anyone would care about 15 years later.

Infidelity and exploitation of staffers is absolutely out of control in politics. it is actually far worse than I think the public realizes. There is a good discussion to be had, Ted Cruz or Rand Paul isnt that person though. Also it is safe to assume most of the elected officials making a stink over Bill's affairs probably do the same thing.

None of this really has anything to do with how Hillary would be President though.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I am not sure if you are trying to make a false equivalncy or what, but the fact remains it is poo poo labor practice to take advandtage of your subordinates.

In a just world we could legitimately argue these points re: Bill but the GOP latches on to them not because they care about professional conduct or power dynamics in an office but just bullshit. I have to think back to junior high but I dont really remember conservative complaints being of a feminist bent.

A lot of male politicians, Democrats included, are power tripping misogynist nerds and it was my number one issue in my brief foray working in politics.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Pretty sure Dems would just legalize weed the second GOP tried to use it as a wedge to pick off young voters, making it a non-issue.

Rand Paul isn't making it out of the primaries if he seriously stumped with legal pot as a plank though.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Arent the Pauls both really weirdly against abortion rights?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I'd vote for Romney.

I mean, George Romney.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Badger of Basra posted:

We'd probably have a Republican in office right now, for one.

Yeah, if anything it is probably pretty good that Edwards never got into the White House. What a ticking time bomb that turned out to be.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

The '96 campaign is kind of a blind spot to me. What was their urban renewal plan?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

mdemone posted:

There has never been anything resembling even the slightest piece of evidence that Petraeus has any interest in politics at all. I don't know where this mass hallucination came from, but apparently it's going to persist until he dies.

Except from Petraeus himself kind of hinting at it? He's been embarrassed on the public stage enough by this point that he's definitely not appearing anytime soon though.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Considering that war, nitpicking about general decisions by Eisenhower seems silly as he was still probably (low bar) one of the best post-war presidents.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Besides giving people not making money food stamps is no way morally equivalent to hiring Pinkertons to infiltrate and murder unionists.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Zwabu posted:

As someone who is happy to jump all over GOP pols for making remarks that show he is out of touch with ordinary non millionaire people (like Mitt's "I love NASCAR, I'm friends with lots of team owners" and McCain forgetting how many houses he owned), I will definitely say that the "dead broke" remark was terrible and incredibly tone deaf.

Even if it were in some way technically true at that time (assets vs. debt etc.), no one wants to hear the person from the family worth upwards of a hundred million bucks about being "dead broke", it's careless and sloppy and she needs to tighten that poo poo up if she want the job.

She's also not running for the nomination in the party that gives you a pass for being an out of touch rich shithead.

It's early enough that I doubt it will have significant lasting impact, but the public reaction should be a warning to her.

None of this should be shocking as these routine gently caress ups are a good reason the nomination slipped out of her grasp in 2008. Fortunately for her she isnt running against Obama this time but if you felt underwhelmed supporting Obama in 2012 get ready for more and get ready for worse.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Ted Cruz' has all the social signalling of what I would conventionally consider a smart person by achievement alone but then he gets talking and Im just confused.

Ben Carson is a more extreme version of that effect.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Thanatosian posted:

Conor Friedersdorf wrote up an endorsement for Russ Feingold over Hillary Clinton.

I love Russ Feingold, and would back him over Clinton in a second, but at this point, I don't think he'd stand a chance.

Rahm Emanuel has waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy too much baggage to have a chance in hell at the presidency.

Is Russ Feingold actually running for president or is this just Friedersdorf being a jackass yet again

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I think the only people who honestly believed people like the Clintons or Obamas gave a poo poo (as in had reservations) over gay marriage were the rubes they had to lie to over that poo poo, and even they probably didnt really buy it.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

SedanChair posted:

It's pretty relaxing that Clinton is inevitable because we can really criticize the poo poo out of her. But uh, let's go ahead and track down somebody who was overtly pro-marriage in, say, 2012. Somebody qualified, I mean.

Barack Obama, I guess.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Zwabu posted:

Honestly I don't know how Schweitzer expects to get anywhere by staking out his identity primarily as an Obama basher unless he plans to switch to the GOP and run in THEIR primaries. I was wondering if he'd backed off of this shtick since he hasn't been in the news much lately, until I read this.

Would-be Democratic successors to Obama have to tread a fine line and make some distance from him, but ultimately you can't alienate any significant number of Obama's supporters and expect to win in either a primary or a general election. Schweitzer has tromped all over this line, fallen across it, pooped his pants and vomited on it.

Get too negative on the president that so many Democrats voted for and you'll even destroy your value in the VP spot.

Yeah, "Mitt Romney youre a real mensch, not like that stiff cardboard cut out Barrack HUSSEIN Obama!" kind of just comes off as running as the great white male hope. That...is not going to work. There's not enough white people out there.

edit: I mean Hillary tried the same thing in 2008 and she was much better positioned and the demographic Sword of Damocles was not yet as low as it is now.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 17, 2014

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

"All southerner men are gay," said a person ostensibly running for the Democratic candidadcy to be president.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Mitt Romney is our GOP presidential candidate forever. The party is damned to strap that dog to the roof of the car until the last light goes dark in America.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Vaguely for single payer. Lied about wanting to dismantle NAFTA. Was black.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Isn't the situation with Graham that he's pretty much openly closeted? Something comparable to Janet Napolitano. They're not out but it is pretty much quietly accepted fact (Anderson Cooper and Shep come to mind as well)

This would be in contrast to Marcus Bachmann who claims not to be gay but often get people joking about him.

Cantor is really weird because I am pretty sure all these years Ive never heard anyone speculate that Cantor is even sexual, let alone gay. Maybe Schweitzer is privy to DC gossip most aren't, but I'm doubting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

DynamicSloth posted:

Not quite the same with the latter two, Anderson Cooper is out and Shep Smith would by all accounts be willing to if he wasn't contractually obligated by Roger Ailes to stay in the closet.

I meant before Cooper was out and before the leaking of how awful Roger Ailes is as a human being to his gay employees.

• Locked thread