Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Cheekio posted:

Cory Brooker confirms via Reddit he's not running for President, well, at least I guess he confirms he's running for a Senate Seat first. With numerous spelling and grammar mistakes:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1ahk5u/i_am_cory_booker_mayor_of_newark_new_jersey_and/c8xgp1v

Nothing like drunkenly redditing to improve your chances at high office.

Doesn't beat the amazing round of drunk Scott Brown tweets. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Joementum posted:

If the Democrats want to ensure the vote of Jewish millionaire farmers from Vermont, I have a Vice Presidential candidate suggestion for them.

Bernie Sanders a heartbeat away from the Presidency. :getin:

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

comes along bort posted:

Gob Bluth Gavin Newsom is too slick to not be thinking of something after taking over for Jerry Brown.

We'd finally be known for having Presidents other than Richard "I'm not a crook" Nixon and Ronald "Conservative God" Reagan. Even if it is Gavin Newsom. :ca:

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

mcmagic posted:

I'm going to say (having pulled this directly out of my rear end) that there is about a 40% chance he's gay. Though if that rumor is going to hurt his primary candidacy more than his awful economic policies will I'm all for it being spread.

Homophobia: OK if it's used against a neoliberal.

:fuckoff:

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

SedanChair posted:

This is well in character for you, but what response are you hoping to elicit? "Get crushed by a city bus, you gently caress?"

Look at you, you are stuffing racial equality into the toilet for the sake of your precious establishment. You're literally a person who brings Rush Limbaugh's critiques of liberals into reality. You are worse than a god-damned Dixiecrat, at least they had the guts to spell out their contempt for black people.

SilentD has well-established himself as the reprehensible rear end in a top hat of D&D.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Joementum posted:

Adar is right to mention Christie, but Scott Walker is perhaps even more dangerous, and yes, he's running. And I believe America is just silly enough to gives the Bush family a third shot.

Whenever I hear the words "President" and "Scott Walker" in the same sentence, I reach for my revolver.

:smithicide:

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Alter Ego posted:

Yep. The right did it with Goldwater in '64--they can do it again. Give the loonies their day in the sun, and then when they get absolutely curbstomped, get back to business.

If Goldwater had actually told the GOP anything we wouldn't have the Tea Party today.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

radical meme posted:

It's not exactly news that Rick Santorum intends to make another run at the nomination but he's now adopting a more populist tone, even though it comes off as pretty insincere. The past few weeks he's said the GOP has to stop being the party of the 1% and the GOP needs to pay more attention to the American worker, not just the job creators, which sounds all well and good. But apparently last Thursday he said:

So we are just one big, happy, class free society here in the U.S. of A. I think I'm gonna stroll on over to the Koch mansion with a six pack and see if they want to watch the baseball game on their big screen.

Holy hell, apparently admitting that some people are at different levels of wealth is :siren:MARXISM:siren: to these people.

Oh, the GOP. :gop:

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Foo posted:

Dumb question about the thread title but it's been bothering me for a while: I know who Sen. Agua Bottle is but who is Sen. Aqua Buddha?

Rand Paul.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

DynamicSloth posted:

A sitting VP has only been elected to the Presidency twice in American history (barring cases where they first ascended through the President's death) once in 1796 and once in 1988.
Three times, actually. Martin Van Buren was elected in 1836. :eng101:

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

notthegoatseguy posted:

Hell, even when a Bush does carry New Hampshire, it isn't by much. HW Bush was the incumbent President in 1992 and he only got 53% of the vote in the primary against Pat loving Robertson.

It was actually Buchanan. :eng101:

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Hedera Helix posted:

:barf:

I would say that seeing him run in the 2016 primaries, then losing, would be quite the treat, but that would also mean that the people of Wisconsin would continue to be stuck with him. There isn't a good outcome for this, is there?

Yes, it's Scott Walker staying more than a mile from the White House.

Seriously, President Walker would be the stuff of loving nightmares. :smithicide:

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

ReindeerF posted:

Let us also not forget his brilliant stewardship of the Gore 2000 campaign.

What? He won. :colbert:

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Kenlon posted:

:psyduck: What? How the hell does that make any goddamn sense?

Welcome to the Beltway press. Everyone plausible is running, even if they decide to hook up a cross-country stereo system to announce they aren't.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

quote:

As you know, Barack Obama has very little in common with the average black American. He is not a descendant of slaves, like Dr. Carson. He was never part of the civil rights movement, he was educated in exclusive private schools, and he grew up in an economically comfortable family in Hawaii, not in one of the poorest areas of Detroit, like Ben Carson.
Really? They're trying to criticize Obama for not being part of a movement that reached its peak when he was 2? :ughh:

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Going back to the Christie nonsense, it raises the hilarious question of whether or not Romney picked Ryan for VP because he was the least flawed of them all.

Let's look at the shortlist (according to Double Down):

• Tim Pawlenty: Less exciting than moldy bread, and also too moderate for Tea Party tastes.
  • Chris Christie: Petty vindictive dick, and also apparently so corrupt even Mitt Romney thought he was bad news.
  • Rob Portman: Too closely tied to Bush II, whom everyone hates.
  • Marco Rubio: Can't give speeches to save his life (see SOTU 2013).

That leaves Ryan. He's still got the budget albatross on his neck, but unlike the other's he's (fairly) charismatic and popular among the Tea Party (until he agreed to something that wasn't "Kill every Dem ever").

This is probably a hella wrong view of the events, but it's interesting to think about :shrug:

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Alter Ego posted:

I firmly believe Biden won't run. He's going to be 74 by the time 2016 rolls around. Even Reagan wasn't that old when he ran the first time in 1980.

Reagan's first run was in 1976, or if you stretch it 1968 (when he was part of the "Stop Nixon" movement at the Convention). :eng101:

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Karl Sharks posted:

Ahahaha, a citizen grand jury? :allears:

He then attempted to lead a millions-strong march to overthrow Obama.

Less than 100 people showed up. Make of that what you will.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

this is loving awesome lmao

who made this so I can serve him a nice cup of reality :allears:

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Somehow the idea of Washington being a tossup is the most absurd part of that whole map.

At least he didn't go full retard "IT'LL BE A MCCAIN LANDSLIDE LOL :downswords:"

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

On the other hand, it seems like rich people writing hundreds of identically-sized checks that are very obviously going to the same place seems like it would generate a lot more public backlash than writing one single large check to an innocent-sounding sham social welfare organization.

This is America, literally the ONLY way to get people riled up is to videotape yourself eating a baby and then release it to the press.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Skwirl posted:

I really hope it's Denver, just to see all the old fat white men trying to cope with the altitude.

Edit: Why does it have to be a Red or Swing state? The 2004 Republican convention took place in New York City and the 2012 Democratic convention was in Charlotte, North Carolina.

NC was a swing state in 2012.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

De Nomolos posted:

And their only prior statewide officeholder not going to jail left the party.

Who is this a reference to?

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

What mystifies me is why this thing is still up 18 long years later.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

ComradeCosmobot posted:

They also secured effective control of the Texas government until 2018.

Cut all federal aid to Texas until they stop being shitheads.

Chantilly Say posted:

Nixon was more charismatic--you could even honestly say significantly more--than Cruz is, and I say that on this basis: Imagine President Cruz's foreign policy.

Whoa hey man I don't need to develop night terrors all of a sudden.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

sullat posted:

Isn't he the guy that wrote a novel about "totally not Clinton, honest" being a pedophile? Don't imagine he has many friends amongst the Clinton machine these days.

Dunno; he did write a novel about a not-Clinton's presidential campaign (and he's portrayed as an amoral, do-whatever-it-takes-to-win scumbag) but reading the Wiki article there doesn't appear to be any pedoing involved.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

FAUXTON posted:

I don't know, let's see how she handled it in 2008, under similar circ-

Oh.

Hm.
I could write a long post explaining to you the myriad of ways in which Rahm 2016 =/= Obama 2008.

Or I could just laugh that you'd make a comparison that dumb.

Decisions, decisions...

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Brian Schweitzer posted:

“I don’t know why you lost the election, Mitt, but I know this: I was watching you on TV and I didn’t see the Mitt Romney that I knew,” Schweitzer said. “You are a fun guy and you’re easy-going and Obama is not. I’ve been in the room with him a little, too. He’s stiff as a board and you’ve got it going on.”
Was Obama inhabiting Romney's body when he said this? :psyduck:

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Joementum posted:

Romney's VP vetting team, not the secret service, but yes.

Rob Portman = Filet-o-Fish
Tim Pawlenty = Lakefish
Marco Rubio = Pescado (which is just Spanish for "fish")
Paul Ryan = Fishconsin
Chris Christie = Pufferfish

Isn't the entire point of codenames that they're not meant to be obvious?

"Fishconsin", christ.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Well it's not BURN ALL DOWN SMASH THE CAPITALIST OPPRESSORS so I guess she's pretty much Ayn Rand

:ssh: Paul MaudDib has been making fun of that poo poo, which you'd know if you read his last 5 posts in this thread.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I mean, don't get me wrong, the idea of another Bush being president is genuinely horrific and if it happens we should all start gargling with Dran-O, but it's not The End Of Democracy.

Dear lord, this. I can't overstate this enough. We've ALWAYS had big-name families where almost every single loving member was involved in government or a contender for high office at some point or another. The Roosevelts, the Kennedys, hell even the goddamn Doles kind of fit into that description. Guess what? They didn't herald :derp:THE END OF ARE DEMOCRACY:derp: and the beginnings of a literal loving monarchy.

There are way more potent and serious issues with the Clintons and Bushes than :derp: poo poo about DYNASTY POLITICS OH GOD.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

New Division posted:

I will not vote for Hillary under any circumstances. I simply refuse to vote for the lesser of two evils anymore.

Enjoy decades of the Roberts Court then.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

SedanChair posted:

So we're electing Clinton entirely to avoid the pro-theocratic judges I take it? I can accept that.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg: noted rabidly pro-corporate Justice.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Shame the signers' names aren't displayed, I wanted to see how many times Weedlord Bonerhitler picked Sarah Palin, Ted Cruz, and Ben Carson as his top 3.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

My Imaginary GF posted:

Thing is, Nixon didn't have a papal network on his team to assist.

Are you implying the Church helped stuff the ballots for Kennedy?

:psyduck:

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Joementum posted:

Let's quickly check in with the Bill Kristol.

Well, his streak of being wrong about everything doesn't appear like it will be broken any time soon.

Who on earth thinks Rudy Giuliani in 2016 is a serious possiblity when he crashed and burned in 2008 and his big credential is going to be all but irrelevant unless ISIS invades the US (:lol:).

Besides Bill Kristol I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Pharmaskittle posted:

I saw my first Carson '16 bumper sticker last week in Mississippi.

Checkmate libs, racism is over :smug:

• Locked thread