Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Hillary is 45. If she doesn't run Cuomo will. On the right I bet Jen Bush and Hunstman vie for the moderate soul of the party while Huckabee and Santorum go for the tea party pickings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Brigadier Sockface posted:

I believe the generic casting pool is as follows:

Russ Feingold (+left, +Midwest) -though possibly running for senate in 2016

Joe Sestak (+Military, -inexperiance) -though definitely running for senate in 2016

Feingold could be good for shoring up the left but I couldn't see him relishing a back bencher spot like VP.

Sestak is bland on top of boring, and a tepid speaker with awful cadence. He would be no benefit on the campaign trail.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Politigoons, please tell me the tale of Mark Penn's evil.

Campaigns have certain roles, in the Clinton Machine you had your personalities, the Clintons, your glad-handing, flesh-pressing, horsetrading operatives like Terry McAuliffe, you have your policy wonks and you have your pollsters. Mark Penn was essentially the Clinton's pollster and consultant. His major idea was Microtargetting, trying to assess the sentiments of highly narrow, key groups (i.e. "Soccer moms", "Nascar dads") which Mark Penn felt to be crucial demographics and opinion mediators for the general electorate. A lot of times this was essentially Mark Penn's way of putting a numbers face off of targeted sample groups to push for some centrist, milquetoast-toast triangulation. It was part and parcel with several of the ills of the DCCC machine and centrist democratic politics of the 90's and 00's. Edit: And to add to the post above, the microtargetting also lent into the focused states approach rather than a 50 states approach which Dean brought into vogue especially in '08.

Mark Penn is also just an unappealing person with awful interpersonal skills who has a dubious read on what makes, ahem, neurotypicals tick.

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 11, 2013

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Whats the consensus on Supreme Court appointments between now and 2016/2020. Ginsburg obviously is on the way out sometime this decade and maybe Breyer (trade liberals for liberals, no big change). What would really be interesting If Kennedy or even Scalia (both 77) retire or die under a Democratic President.

Fake Edit: Is there a better thread to post about this?

I think its certainly relevant discussion for the 2016 election. However, if you'd like, the SCOTUS thread is here, it falls off the first page inbetween decisions.

Scalia is hanging on until he dies, and something tells me that Ginsburg is going to as well, I think she really cares about what she does. By that token, so does Scalia of course. I'd thought Ginsburg might try and let Obama appoint someone, but given Senate gridlock I'm not totally surprised she hasn't, as she is probably one of the farthest to the left, and I don't know if Obama could replicate her very closely.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Obdicut posted:

This is something I've wondered. Do these candidates somehow gain by running? It's hard to imagine why these no-hopers enter.

Profile raising and to tap a captive audience of conservative book buyers. Scarborough might be just chasing his ego, but for the likes of Huckabee its all about boosting sales of his personality based products, like his radio show and his series of History courses. The exact same thing Palin was up to, becoming a political celebrity rather than a politician or statesman.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

ayn rand hand job posted:

Scarborough already had a primetime show. Dunno if they'd restart the experiment 7 years after taking it away.

It wasn't really taken away from him per se. Imus made that daft "nappy headed" comment and they canned him, shifting Scarborough into the morning slot since at the time he was really the only conservative voice they had, and that perspective seems to do better with the AM cable news watching demographic.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Misandrist Duck posted:

RAHM RAHM RAHM RAHM RAHM RAHM.

More idle speculation but it's always a laugh when his name gets thrown around. This piece mentions being Hillary's VP, which I guess you never know. He has been going through something of a rebranding, but frankly I think he's more inclined to replace Dick Durbin than run for president.

I always figured Chicago Mayor was the job he wanted, and would camp out there til he was tired of it or got caught in some dirty political maneuver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

That new york times piece posted:

“I’m not running, and I’m not considering running, ... I’m not making any Shermanesque statements, but I do not expect that to change.”

At 50, Mr. Scarborough is the Republican liberals love and conservatives love to hate — quite a turnabout from his days in the House, where he was a member of a brash young band of self-described “bad boy” conservatives who once tried to oust Mr. Gingrich, then the speaker.

“He went to work for MSNBC; that’s like going to work for The New York Times,” said Jazz Shaw, weekend editor at a conservative website, HotAir.com. “A lot of conservatives will never forgive him for that.”

“He comes with instant credibility, instant recognition of a brand,” said Matt Mowers, executive director of the New Hampshire Republican Party.

Our politics are transforming more and more into Dada-esque performance art with each passing day. I imagine Scarborough thanks Don Imus in his prayers every night.

• Locked thread