Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
I think she is still tied way too closely with the Bush administration for the current GOP to nominate her. Maybe in 2016 it will be different, but even now Bush is still a dirty name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

I've read all the other 2012 campaign books, but this one might be too tough to get through.

Which book is this? Guessing double down but is "Obamans" really the language they use?

Fuck You And Diebold fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 1, 2013

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Caros posted:

While a lot of this is very interesting in an 'I didn't know that' sort of way, do you actually believe that the bolded part was true and that the largest PAC contributers to help R-Money win weren't effectively at his beck and call in a slightly more round about manner?

Actually, yes. The big surprise about 2012 is just how ineffective all the extra money from Citizens United ended up being. A big part of this was the huge proportion of conservative funds that went to groups other than Romney's campaign. I do think they will get much better at it. Remember, this was the first presidential campaign since Citizens United, give them some time and they will get great at coordinated non-coordination, but the Romney campaign definitely did not have the control over the money that they would have liked.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

comes along bort posted:

That's assuming most of the super PACs are more interested in getting people elected than bilking the rubes.

Oh I definitely think that is how they are now, but in the future I think campaigns will have much stronger control/oversight of the super PACs, even though they aren't supposed to. This won't prevent the super rich crazies who basically make their own super PAC to push whatever issue/candidate they are focused on, but overall I think that the loose money will become more efficient than they were in 2012. I doubt they will ever be as efficient, much less more efficient, as direct campaign cash though.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

FMguru posted:

It's possible to come back from a bad public appearance. Bill Clinton's first turn on the national stage was a disaster.

Jindal's problem is that he's been a political disaster in Louisiana. He high-handedly tried to ram through this massively regressive change to the tax system that was so unpopular that even the state Republicans rebelled against it and he has amazingly bad relations with everyone in his own party. Vitter, his likely replacement, actively and publicly loathes him. If you can't even manage to float along as the conservative governor of a conservative state with a neutered opposition party, then you don't have the chops (political instincts, coalition-building skills, even basic competence) to run and win a pair of national campaigns. Jindal is just not a very good politician, a young wunderkind who doesn't live up to the hype.

Even ignoring what you pointed out, Jindal is no Bill Clinton. Unless he comes up with a ton of charisma out of nowhere he wouldn't be able to pull a comeback even with a good record.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

OAquinas posted:

Also: there is a very real school of thought in the hardline rightwing that women's suffrage was a Bad Idea. It's probably right after direct election of Senators on their to-undo list.

Restricting votes to landowners/"taxpayers"(using the highly disingenuous 47% stat) is pretty high up there too. This is where you hear them cry about "skin in the game" because poor people don't have a stake in how the US is governed :downs:. That fits right in with taking away women's votes though as it hits them (and minorities!) the hardest.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Filet o' fish? Oh god I'm out of the loop on a political in joke nooooooooooooooooo

Secret service codenames for the republican candidates were all fish related IIRC.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
That was it! Secret service sounded wrong, but couldn't remember what else it was. Also Paul Ryan's is definitely the best.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

joeburz posted:

Moon Commander?

It's a misleading title though, because that is just the title given to the director of the moon zoo.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
"Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) denounced Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), an establishment avatar, in a Senate floor speech last month over what turned out to be an Internet hoax, a photo that falsely identified the senator meeting with Islamic State militants."

Ahahaha, beautiful. I cannot wait for 2016.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Actors should be banned from running for office, acting skills are the equivalent of steroids for office seekers.

Franken, Ventura*(who was surprisingly decent(ignore his post office antics)). So basically apply that rule everywhere but Minnesota.

*wrestling is fake

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

radical meme posted:

To me, Ted is the scariest potential 2016 candidate. In a shortened GOP primary, where turning out the crazies is the key to winning, he could do it.

Who the hell cares if Ted Cruz wins the primary. The only strategies open for crazy Republicans to win the primaries are ones that kill them in the general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

shadow puppet of a posted:

This fills me with joy and sadness because I know that 2016 cannot possibly be half as amazing. There were no bad ideas floated in those (smoky) back rooms. Every single expensive crazy idea got a subcommittee behind it and got made for public consumption.

Like how that Clint Eastwood chair thing really happened.

Yeah well we said there was no way that 2012 could be half as great as 2008. Keep your hopes up! I'm sure the Republicans will do their due diligence to keep us entertained next election.

• Locked thread