Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Quasimango posted:

I have never understood what the appeal of ~Lincoln-Douglas style debates~ is supposed to be. It's hard enough to get politicians to just answer simple questions put to them without allowing them to talk their pure BS for 90 minutes straight.

The reasons those debates were interesting was because they were two brilliant orators talking about the most deeply important and divisive issue of their era. I don't think getting Marco Rubio and Rand Paul debating about just how bad taxes are for 90 minutes is realy going to have the same effect.

The good old days were better and every GOP candidate believes they're a better orator than Lincoln.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Man. I looked up why Perry was on meds and it was for back surgery that used stem cells. Have evangelicals dropped their opposition to them or is he a massive hypocrite?

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

mdemone posted:

I think a lot of these suspicions stem from pessimism. If we ask ourselves who the worst people are on the GOP bench, Ted Cruz is not too far down the list. Ergo, because this world is lovely and run by stupid egomaniacs, Cruz is likely to run.

Plus his ego means you can't apply any of the usual rules. "A sensible politician wouldn't do thi- oh". Sure most people realise Obama going from Senate to White House so rapidly is unique thing but Cruz and his ilk will just think if Obama could do it I can do it with both hands tied behind my back.

I mean drat we live in a world where the media pretended Herman Cain was a serious candidate. Cruz has at least held office.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

ufarn posted:

I'm sure the number of people who will rally behind Ralph Na- nope, not gonna happen.

Probably some Silicon Valley technolibertarians who love Ron Paul and Glenn Greenwald. Maybe Joementum's favourite new-money person, Peter Thiel, will chip in.

Wouldn't Thiel be too busy trying to build Rapture to bother with statist landlubber concerns?

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
What would be the GOP line of attack on Biden? The only thing I remember them trying was loudly claiming he'd make lots of gaffes which fell apart so badly by the time of the first VP debate they were reduced to saying he'd win so handily it would be mean to Palin.

I will also use this as an opportunity to post this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no0e-mkhhbs

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Biden has been in Washington since 1973. I don't know how effective it would be but there would certainly be a contrast with the GOP candidate. Rubio was 2 years old, and Christie was 10.

Given the petulant behaviour of the GOP of late, giving the Dems an opportunity to openly call them children might just backfire.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
It is easy, with so much of the GOP being truly monstrous, to see Christie merely being an rear end in a top hat as gentlemanly behaviour. It is kind of scary how even Tea Party farce is still shifting the Overton window further to the right.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
I dunno, the debt ceiling / shutdown fight was, I believe, over a more austere budget than Ryan's and Obama has consistently been open to very right wing grand bargains.

Also while I think it will be short term the need for any port in a storm to avert default led even posters here to view moderate GOPers somewhat favourably simply because they weren't actively trying to destroy the republic. If the Tea Party keep it up maybe things like Christie simply accepting defeat on a policy rather then burning everything down TP style will garner moderate GOPers positive feelings from liberals.

Then again Romney got viewed as fairly moderate because he had to go along with a veto proof Dem legislature in MA so maybe I'm just being too pessimistic.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Joementum posted:

Bernie is probably never running for political office again. He'll be 77 when his current Senate term expires in 2018.

Could he be attempting to use a presidential run as a kind of farewell tour where he could speak to policies and criticisms on a national stage that he wouldn't otherwise be able to if he was worried about re-election?

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

The Puppet Master posted:

Can they're just be a honorary life-time position for Biden? I don't want him to run for the Dem. nomination, but I also never want him to go away.

Keep on shinning you crazy Biden.

Ambassador to the Confederate States.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I'm ready to be one of the deluded people interviewed when Biden pulls ahead to take a single states primary before burning out. The straw hat, the pins, tears about how I have faith in America again, the whole works.

Elizabeth Warren will be the new Chris Christie.

• Locked thread