Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
I believe Ohio's date is now March 8 (First Tuesday after First Monday), as HB 194, the bill that would have changed it as mentioned on Frontloading HQ was repealed back in May, such that the referendum never actually needed to go to a vote.

Not sure why Frontloading doesn't reflect this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

TheBuilder posted:

Sec. Clinton is the obvious early call. She seemed to be far away from the campaign most of this year...

That's because she can't legally campaign on Obama's behalf.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

sullat posted:

Cabinet level appointees are exempt from the Hatch Act.

Which makes me wonder, does Sebelius have any ambitions? She left a good job as Governor to work for Obama after all.

Ah you appear to be correct.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

jeffersonlives posted:

Most of the smart folks seem to think that the economy is going to boom over the next four years just as a rebound. 2016 could very well be a Democratic romp in that case.

It's not out of the question by any means, but it's a big if that primarily depends on whether Europe stays afloat or if Greece finally brings it down.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Job Truniht posted:

While Warren isn't charismatic and is typically awkward, she has this intelligence that everyone around her seems to recognize.

That's exactly why the party elite would probably never nominate her for president. Warren could eke out a win against Brown's "PROFESSOR Warren" because she ran in Massachusetts. It'd be a death knell in most other states.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

sullat posted:

John C. Calhoun was JQ Adam's VP and Jackson's VP. He was also kind of a terrible person, but that's probably a coincidence.

George Clinton was VP for Thomas Jefferson and James Madison.

More telling is that no VP has been VP for three terms.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Joementum posted:

It'll definitely be interesting to watch, but she was the only Senate candidate in a contested race this year to say that the correct policy on Afghanistan was to get out immediately. Foreign policy tends to be very difficult to judge from campaign literature though. Rand Paul, for instance, has turned out to be much less favorable to the military than I'd assumed from his campaign.

On the other hand, her campaign site is still up.

quote:

To me, it is a moral imperative to support and defend Israel, and I am committed to ensuring its long-term security by maintaining its qualitative military edge. Israel must be able to defend itself from the serious threats it faces from terrorist organizations to hostile states, including Iran, Hamas, Hezbollah, and others.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

raito posted:

He can serve as the Vice-President if he so chooses to run and win. He could also serve as the President in the event that the President dies.

You can be sure that there'd be a Supreme Court case about that pretty quickly though. Something about the "intent" of the 22nd Amendment not permitting a crazy end-run around it by "running for VP and having the President immediately resign".

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Typo posted:

Is this really surprising?

Can -any- American politician do anything less than fellatiate Israel as much as possible?

Of course not. But it does suggest that she's not going to be any more progressive on the middle east than her peers.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
The only thing that would not be fun in a Biden race would be the incessant chattering of practically everyone about Biden being a gaffemaker. It might not even matter if Christie says "I intend to ban all abortions" if a Biden gaffe like "back in chains" ends up being all that's on voters' lips.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

jeffersonlives posted:

A lot of Biden's "gaffes" aren't actually gaffes, he likes to push buttons. His biggest problem is actually message discipline, not gaffes.

Sure they aren't. But that doesn't mean it's what the public at large will hear/believe.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Joementum posted:

"Purely on results, no one tops President George W. Bush when it comes to saving lives," Jennifer Rubin today, a bonus quote I'm throwing into this post for fun, referring to Bush's post-Presidency philanthropy. Her article does not mention his during-Presidency score on that matter.

Rubin isn't the only one who's made this claim this year. But how seriously can you take a "liberal democrat" on Fox News?

quote:

For Africans, that vision traces back to the early years of his presidency. In his 2003 State of the Union Address, Bush introduced the "President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief" (PEPFAR.)

And that proposal had real meat: $15 billion over five years, as well as a serious look at African health problems, beyond HIV/AIDS.

Bush proposed it, and his proposal wasn’t just a few throw-away lines in a speech; even as the Iraq war raged, Bush spent precious political capital to get PEPFAR enacted.

The result was the largest upfront contribution ever made by any country to fight HIV. And the numbers are staggering.

Five million children, women and men have received antiretroviral treatment under PEPFAR. In 2010 alone, 600,000 pregnant mothers received treatment so their newborn children would not be infected.

Hmm, maybe Bush has saved more lives... I mean, the Carter Center, has only almost eliminated a disease that plagued 3.5 million individuals (dracunculiasis) and averted 1.6 million more cases of poor vision caused by onchocerciasis (1m) and trachoma (600k), but I guess they're not as sexy as HIV so they don't count. So good job Bush!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

gradenko_2000 posted:

Any idea on who Biden's VP pick might be, if ever? I imagine that would matter as much as McCain's did, given their ages.

That's probably going to be shaped by the electoral battleground in 2016, so it's really difficult to say. But I wouldn't be surprised if someone at least gives lip-service to a younger, more dynamic female, if only for the "Well, suppose Biden can't run in 2020" argument, especially if Hillary runs and loses again. So... Gillibrand?

But that's different from saying that Gillibrand would work from a political perspective (depends how much help/hurt her brand of liberalism would give Biden)

So in short, what Adar said, but with a faint hand-waving argument that Gillibrand might end up in the running.

EDIT: vvv also true. I was thinking about that when I made the suggestion. Like I said, I agree largely with Adar that it's pretty much tea-leaves at the moment.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 28, 2013

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Sir Tonk posted:

gently caress me. Of all the people to choose. I thought he was going to drop this after all the outcry.

You should have been disabused of that idea when the very first thing Obama did after the outcry was to force a House Committee to cancel testimony by Greenwald about Snowden just so that Obama could stand up and give a "full-throated defense" of Summers in a special meeting with Congressional Democrats.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 29, 2013

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

The X-man cometh posted:

If the President has to give a "full throated defense" to his own party, there's a pretty good chance Summers won't get through, depending on whether the banks pressure the GOP on his behalf.

Don't count on it. All indications point to Reid whipping the party in line behind a Summers nomination. Immediately after Obama's defense on July 31, Reid was quoted as saying "Whoever the president selects, this caucus will be for that person, no matter who it is."

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

evilwaldo posted:

Considering the fact that Congress has to up the debt ceiling again and pass a budget there will probably be some sort of compromise that gets him through.

Where is the horse that Senate Dems are getting in such a deal? "Vote for Summers and... Obama won't veto a debt ceiling increase?"

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
If the right-wing rag, the Washington Examiner is correct, you'll never guess who might be jumping back in the ring for 2016...

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

ChampRamp posted:

Has skipping Iowa ever turned out to be a good idea?

It is when Tom Harkin is running.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

mcmagic posted:

So the whole democratic party is going to get behind someone who voted for the Iraq War and who is to the right of Obama on pretty much everything without any kind of pushback from "the left." If that even exists....

Man 2: "Well I believe I'll vote for a third-party progressive candidate."

Kang: Clinton: "Go ahead, throw your vote away."

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

CapitanAmerica posted:

If you think Putin out maneuvered Obama on any issue you really have no clue what you are talking about. The only weakness Obama showed was not bombing the gently caress out of the Syrian regime over that chemical attack when Putin offered his bullshit peace deal.

You mean the time where he was raring to go, but couldn't convince the Brits to go and almost had Congress rebelling against him? No, I think we made the right choice there, because Syria was already a complete sectarian shitfest and there was literally nothing good (other than demonstrating that we're willing to use force against users of chemical weapons) that could come from us taking action then.

We could not realistically have done meaningful damage to an extent where we could extract any sort of concessions without basically turning Syria into even more of a basket case than it is already.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jan 26, 2014

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Jazerus posted:

The fact that being "strong" on the issue would have been a shitshow that further painted America as thirsty for war does not change the fact that backing down made him look weak. It was a no-win situation that Obama made the best of. Personally I'm quite glad that Bush wasn't in the seat for this one since looking weak, while the lesser of two evils in this case, was unacceptable for his administration, but this is the reality of nation-state interactions.

I'll give you that on the strong/weak side of traditional nation-state interactions, Obama ended up being weak. But I think we both agree that we (on the whole) are the better for it given the alternative of involving ourselves in an inevitably bloody sectarian conflict with already-minimal chance of succeeding at our goals vis-a-vis the Syrian government, whatever they may have been.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Pinterest Mom posted:

Yeah so. Get in.

If Nixon can turn it around in 8 years surely a rich man can turn it around in 4!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

FilthyImp posted:

Mitt responds how there's little consideration for the small business out there, and how he thinks most leftist policies are meant to squeeze the big players, but end up soaking little guys.

Oddly enough, Mitt is probably correct on this point, but his reasoning is no doubt flawed (it's not due to liberalism so much as corporatism and corporate lobbying making sure that the big guys get carve-outs and exceptions from the law)

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

joeburz posted:

I don't care if he gets allowed to do this, but I feel like it should be an existing stipulation to presidential office runs in every state. None of this back-up plan poo poo, lay it on the line.

If I recall correctly that's not possible and Kentucky is merely bringing itself in line with a Federal court case which held that states aren't allowed to add additional restrictions on eligibility for Federal elections beyond residence in a state (including "you can't run for two offices at once")

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Wait, Allen. Now you're telling me that we HAVEN'T already elected the first Muslim president? I guess two years out of office and you really can lose touch with your core constituency.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

made of bees posted:

Pretty sure that's what the (Oh, wait...) is supposed to mean.

Ah, I missed that when I read it. I was worried about West for a moment there. Good to see he hasn't actually let us down.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

As evidenced by his wing of the party getting choked out by the establishment wing this primary season, I guess. They can still spin it as a victory that they unseated a 91-year old rep, I guess.

They also secured effective control of the Texas government until 2018.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

As evidenced by his wing of the party getting choked out by the establishment wing this primary season, I guess. They can still spin it as a victory that they unseated a 91-year old rep, I guess.

I forgot to mention: There's a good chance the Tea Party favorite will be the Republican to lose to Jerry Brown in the fall. :mmmsmug:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Kalman posted:

That's actually pretty reasonable, given she's from Minnesota.

But Medtronic isn't based in Minnesota any more (pending shareholder approval) :confused:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Kalman posted:

Doesn't really matter, they're still a huge employer there (9k people or so?) and for all practical purposes they're still headquartered there - the Dublin thing is primarily for tax purposes.

:thejoke:

It's indicative of the sort of corporatist Democrat Klobuchar very well may be if she's beholden to a company that's playing such shenanigans in order to avoid paying taxes.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Kalman posted:

So, a normal Democrat?

Basically, yes. But it's true her support for repealing the device tax may not necessarily be indicative of support for the foreign tax repatriation holiday because, let's be honest, everyone on Capitol Hill wants to see that happen.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

FMguru posted:

It's interesting to note that the R's have lost the popular vote in five of the last six elections, and they haven't even started the process of looking at themselves and seeing what needs changing. Fine by me.

Why change when you've held enough power in Congress to block anything from passing that you don't like for all but 6 years of the same 22 year period?

EDIT: Yes, the Dems held the House for the entirety of Reagan + Bush, but the Southern Dems basically ensures that Reagan could always cobble together a conservative majority.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 18, 2014

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Gyges posted:

Jesus, even for Bachman that's amazing. They think they're people with rights, and all I'm trying to do is make the laws say that they are subhuman deviants with no rights. Why can't you see how intolerant they are?

Ah yes, the old "No, it is you, the person who does not tolerate intolerance, who is the real bigot" argument.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

FlamingLiberal posted:

So it's August 2014 and already Hillary is tacking right of Obama on foreign policy.

She's also had some words to say recently about out greatest ally Israel!

From the I/P thread:

http://www.timesofisrael.com/hillary-clinton-blasts-unfair-world-reaction-over-gaza-cites-anti-semitism-as-factor/ posted:

Asked if the Israeli response was disproportionate, she replied: “Israel was attacked by rockets from Gaza. Israel has a right to defend itself. The steps Hamas has taken to embed rockets and command-and-control facilities and tunnel entrances in civilian areas, this makes a response by Israel difficult. Of course Israel, just like the United States, or any other democratic country, should do everything they can possibly do to limit civilian casualties. We see this enormous international reaction against Israel. This reaction is uncalled for and unfair.

Pressed on whether Israel was doing enough to limit civilian casualties, she answered: “It’s unclear. I think Israel did what it had to do to respond to the rockets. And there is the surprising number and complexity of the tunnels, and Hamas has consistently, not just in this conflict, but in the past, been less than protective of their civilians.”

She said anti-Semitism was a factor in the unfair international reaction against Israel: “There are a number of factors going into it. You can’t ever discount anti-Semitism, especially with what’s going on in Europe today. There are more demonstrations against Israel by an exponential amount than there are against Russia seizing part of Ukraine and shooting down a civilian airliner. So there’s something else at work here than what you see on TV.”

She said the conflict was “so effectively stage-managed by Hamas, and always has been. What you see is largely what Hamas invites and permits Western journalists to report on from Gaza. It’s the old PR problem that Israel has. Yes, there are substantive, deep levels of antagonism or anti-Semitism towards Israel, because it’s a powerful state, a really effective military. And Hamas paints itself as the defender of the rights of the Palestinians to have their own state. So the PR battle is one that is historically tilted against Israel.”

Clinton said the deaths of so many children were “dreadful.” Asked to parcel out blame, she said: “I’m not sure it’s possible to parcel out blame because it’s impossible to know what happens in the fog of war. Some reports say, maybe it wasn’t the exact UN school that was bombed, but it was the annex to the school next door where they were firing the rockets. And I do think oftentimes that the anguish you are privy to because of the coverage, and the women and the children and all the rest of that, makes it very difficult to sort through to get to the truth.

“There’s no doubt in my mind that Hamas initiated this conflict and wanted to do so in order to leverage its position, having been shut out by the Egyptians post-Morsi, having been shunned by the Gulf, having been pulled into a technocratic government with Fatah and the Palestinian Authority that might have caused better governance and a greater willingness on the part of the people of Gaza to move away from tolerating Hamas in their midst. So the ultimate responsibility has to rest on Hamas and the decisions it made.”

Needless to say I don't think we have to worry about Hillary getting criticized for "second-guessing Netanyahu" on Hamas. Or as poster oldswitcheroo put it:

oldswitcheroo posted:

"I'm not sure it's possible to blame the guy shooting an artillery shell at a child for that child's death"

-the next President of the United States

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Gyges posted:

Has there ever been a State of the Union rebuttal that didn't result in the person giving it having to take at least 3 steps back in their political ambitions? I'm pretty sure no one has ever rebutted the State of the Union so spectacularly that it got them recognition and that best case scenario is everyone completely erases it from their memory by the end of the week. It seems like something no one should want, but every year people are maneuvering to get.

That's probably why the R's gave it to someone they knew had no immediate presidential ambitions this year (not to mention that choosing the highest ranking female member among their ranks helped fight against the "war against women" narrative).

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Joementum posted:

Let's quickly check in with the Bill Kristol.

Well, his streak of being wrong about everything doesn't appear like it will be broken any time soon.

Good to see people are still angry over a 1991 opera

EDIT: Giuliani's statement is quoted in the page and practically begs for a quote shoutout on its own:

"Equally, all of us have as strong a First Amendment right to ... warn people that this work is both a distortion of history and helped, in some ways, to foster a three decade long feckless policy of creating a moral equivalency between the Palestinian Authority, a corrupt terrorist organization, and the state of Israel, a democracy ruled by law."

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

comes along bort posted:

Preliminary congrats to president White Guy.

e: her source is loving Newsmax :laffo:

e2: no wait it's Al Hunt never mind resume depression

Just as 2012 was the year of "Anyone but Romney" for the Republicans, 2016 will be the year of "Anyone but Hillary" for the Democrats.

It will go just as badly for the Democrats as that went for Republicans. 52/47. Congratulations to President-elect Jeb Bush.

• Locked thread