Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.

Bread Zeppelin posted:

Hillary is stepping down in January and I think what she does with her time between then and 2015 is going to determine what her presidential aspirations are. If I wanted to run for president, I'd want to keep my high-level government position to stay in the public's consciousness. There will be a generation of first-time voters in 2016 who won't have any knowledge of what the Clinton name means.

Are you insane? if theres one thing the Clintons are great at its maintaining the Clinton brand, also it'll only have been a few years. If she wants the nomination I can't imagine she won't get it. In a world where she doesn't run I think we're looking at Biden/O'Malley/Cuomo. Don't discount for a second how badly New York media/donors/power brokers long for a New York candidate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.

jeffersonlives posted:

There's going to be a hell of a subprimary going on for at least the next two or three years between Cuomo and Gillibrand to become that candidate when the next non-Hillary election arises.

Oh totally, if i were forced to guess at this point I'd probably pick Cuomo but I'm in no way sure...only because he's nine years older really. Also I'm a little more bearish on Dem 2016 chances than most so I'm not completely sure someone like Gillibrand wouldn't wait until 2020. She has plenty of time, and it wouldn't hurt her to stay in the Senate for another term.

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.

CelestialScribe posted:

What's the possibility of a Clinton/Warren ticket?

Very low. Cynically I don't two women on the ticket is a great idea and logically I think Warren can much better serve the party as a lifelong Senator from Massachusetts.

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.

jeffersonlives posted:

Huntsman is more likely to get another appointment from Obama than he is to be the Republican presidential nominee in 2016. There's a fairly long list of plausible nominees at this point, he isn't one of them.

Is there any precedent for losing as badly as he did this time around and getting the nomination next time? I'm not sure he isn't worse off now than he was before. Also he kind of needs a job a this point, and as you point out, if that job comes in the form of an Obama nomination he can immediately be crossed off.

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.

Joementum posted:

Right now, Huntsman is sitting around being the head of a think tank and collecting speaking fees. That doesn't indicate that he'd run again, but watch out if he starts some initiative or foundation.

I don't think he's the head of anything actually, seems like he just does speeches. Even if he was though, being the head of Brookings specifically wouldn't do him any favors at all in a Republican primary.

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.

jeffersonlives posted:

His mother was born in Delaware, his father naturalized. Ted Cruz is a natural born citizen by any reasonable reading of the law.

Should probably run this by Donald Trump first.

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.

cheetah7071 posted:

I can't imagine anybody named Bush being elected until at least 2024.

No seriously, this. Jeb Bush, George P. Bush, Reggie Bush. Doesn't matter. None of these people are being nominated in 2016.

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.

Kekekela posted:

Funny you mention that, I was talking with my boss (who is a Republican) after the election speculating on 2016 nominees and his take on Christie was that he couldn't support a candidate that was that fat. While I doubt many would be as honest about it, I think that's probably a not-so-uncommon feeling.

I think the point that most are missing about his weight, which I do believe is an issue, is that he's well past the point of it being a superficial thing. The man is dangerously obese. It's a legitimate health risk.

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.

SedanChair posted:

Well, in truth it's kind of a "Cory Booker puts his high Klout score to use for the health of dogs everywhere" story. The man is an absolute press whore but issues like this are exactly the kind mayors should be weighing in on.

No, this is a "look at Cory Booker doing something" story, and there are far more valuable uses of his time.

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.

JT Jag posted:

Joe Biden/Charismatic Young Politician would make an intimidating ticket. It'd basically be the Democratic version of the McCain ticket, but I'd be ok with that as long as this Charismatic Young Politician is actually vetted.

I don't necessary disagree with the idea that Biden/someone could make a good ticket, but I do find it a little amusing that you're comparing to one which lost by nearly 200 EV's.

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.

Volkerball posted:

Can we stop with this talking point? Just because Romney lost doesn't mean everything Republicans tried to do had a negative impact. I still can't go a day without hearing about Benghazi or Fast & Furious. People listen to that poo poo.

I havent seen Fast & Furious in mainstream news for at least a month now, Benghazi also except for the hearings. And no one here is saying these things had a negative impact for Romney now just because he lost, it's because he mishandled both items almost as badly as possible, and he was called out for it at the time.

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.

ufarn posted:

Oh great, another 30-50 years of this rear end in a top hat. Just swell.

I doubt it. It's possible im underestimating his ability as a campaigner but I have real doubts of him ever be viable on the national stage. Combined with his ludicrous reputation as the smart guy in the room I'd put money on him banking a few million dollars running some policy institute/think tank in five years or so.

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.
I don't know enough about Susana Martinez to assess if she's too high or not (although maybe that should tell you something). Besides that though they seem pretty close to right at this point. I think Walker could make a go of things, so I'd probably bump Jindal and Bush for him. Also on Bush, if anything I think he's underselling how much of a nightmare scenario either a Clinton/Bush or a Gillibrand/Bush matchup would be so he's too high as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.
Well this surely wont be used against Chris Christie in a GOP primary:

quote:

[Bulman] said when he told Mr. Christie he is from upstate New York, “he said, ‘I’m not much different from Andrew Cuomo. I probably agree with him on 98% of the issues.’ ” Mr. Bulman said Gov. Christie “sees value in the building trades, which are private sector unions. He complimented us and said he uses us as an example of a pro-business union.”

Is he really this undisciplined or has he just stopped giving a poo poo? Depending on how the schedule shakes out it's becoming increasingly difficult to see him getting very far at this point.

• Locked thread