Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

watt par posted:

I dunno, a guy who spent $14 million to win as a Republican in Texas against a guy who spent a half-million doesn't exactly scream quality candidate.

I remember Cruz having the edge in a competitive media market around here, but 28 times as much? I thought Dewhurst had the establishment behind him. Sure ran a lot of radio ads, though the morning shows were all pro-Cruz. In the church I grew up in, the pastor's son endorsed Cruz against him, and that was good enough for my parents.

edit with my math it's clear that i didn't realize republicans actually spend money outside the primary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Warcabbit posted:

Looks about right for the players in the game. Nothing past 34 to one is going to run. Any of the Dwarves look like odds-buckers to you guys, if Hillary decides not to win?

Schweitzer, definitely. I'd take money on that right now.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Totally obscure, but looking over the '92 results, anyone have any insights into the final Democratic primary state, North Dakota? The demographics swing wildly from previous contests, and Clinton already had it in the bag. But Charles Woods and Lyndon LaRouche?

EDIT: Nice. I love learning. If only the primary had been months earlier, we could have had Maglev trains connecting the major cities between the Urals and the Rockies!

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 11, 2013

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

computer parts posted:

Well, it's that the US is rather large geographically, but also that the population is rather spread out. Russia is pretty big but is concentrated mostly on the western side, and China is mostly on its eastern coast. The US is tilted more to the East coast but it has large population centers on the West Coast and the Gulf which can't be ignored.

Actually, yeah. Going down the list, I don't see a comparable country in this 'geographic demographic' except for India, Pakistan and Indonesia. Maybe Germany?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Perry's kept his head down. I'd say it's extremely likely his stock goes higher in the next year as others implode. If I had playmoney I'd buy into him big and see where I'm at in 12-14 months.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Demiurge4 posted:

So what you're saying is that when the Green party field a candidate, who can impact the election, they get pissy at him for taking votes from a Democrat?

Yeah, that he got too many votes was probably not the reason he wasnt renominated.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

But I can still donate my multibillion-dollar estate to the RSCC, correct?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I don't see a natural constituency for Jeb unless the Evangelicals swing hard toward him. Paul and Christie (and Ted if he runs) suck enough air out of the room to really diminish the hopes of anyone else. Jeb is beloved by the Bob Dole types, but how many of those are left in 2016?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

I guess that's a little cleaner than against a loving wall.

A loving wall would be easier to hose down at the end of the day, provided proper floor drainage.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

So who was the goon that broke down in the toothpaste aisle because of all the choices after returning from deployment?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I think there's a decent chance of Bush or Romney running, but there's a zero percent chance they BOTH run. There would have to be disastrous disagreements behind the scenes for this to occur.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Get in.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

SKELETONS posted:

To be fair, I wouldn't want to win 2016 either.

It's like what happened in Cyprus overnight! Except it's inflation instead of a one-time tax, and it happened 2,200 times slower!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

If theres gently caress all to do, I guess we should just quit collecting taxes in excess of a yearly deficit. There's fuckall with conventional thinking; I want a result, find me a path to that result gained through working in current systems and I'll pass it along.

Imminent domain / declare national parks large swathes of affluent America; Jackson Hole, Martha's Vineyard, etc, then instruct the Fed to inflate the gently caress out of the dollar. Turn the nationalized mansions into communes.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

In that alternate universe where the US has a PR system, he's actually first on the party list slate for The Singularity Party (Georgia Branch) and has been a consistent kingmaker in many centrist coalitions through the 2000's.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Job Truniht posted:

Same. The woman driving said car was a dinosaur. Unironic question: Would the Republicans actually ever nominate a black man as their candidate?

Yeah, my dad was totally on board with Herman Cain. There are a plurality of Republicans who would vote for a right-wing black dude if he said the right stuff, just to prove that Democrats are the real racists.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Republicans posted:

Most republicans will claim in polls that they would totally vote for Ben Carson in the primaries but when the time comes most of them will actually vote for someone who has held elected office at some point instead of the Gallant to Herman Cain's Goofus. It's enough that they thought about voting for him to assure them that they aren't racist.

"most", sure, but in 2016, if the competition remains stiff throughout the season, I bet the winning GOP candidate has no more than 35-40% of the total primary vote. Last cycle, the most recent of the two runners-up lost re-election in 2006, and the other was chased out in late '98. I think voters, especially GOP voters, care less and less about an electoral resume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Someone remind me of the last candidate that was nominated by one of the two major parties that ran wholly against their party's ruling intelligensia. Goldwater?

• Locked thread