Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

I most certainly think Hillary is not going to have anything to do with politics for a long, long time. She's tired, and she's had enough of waking up at 3AM and flying somewhere to deal with the world's problems. She just wants to relax and be an ordinary person for a while, especially after this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Well that's not going to happen but the next best thing is! Not only is CNN bringing back crossfire, they're making :newt: the new host of it. He's not going away yet.

How long until he says something so stupid, cruel or downright embarrassingly kooky that they swap him out as a host? I'm betting somewhere in the area of 3 months. He's not used to being held accountable for his words.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Joementum posted:

It's not being pro-war that's the potential problem for the Democratic party here, it's that Hillary feels the need to attack Joe Biden on this issue in October 2013. It signals an acrimonious primary ahead that the Democrats would very much prefer to avoid.

The last thing the Democrats need is a repeat of the 2008 primary. Almost made the 2012 GOP primaries look civilized by comparison.

Almost.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Biden has a reputation for foot in mouth moments and being a gaffe-bomb. Earned or not, this narrative prevents him from having a serious shot at 2016, and he's attached at the hip to Obama's legacy.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

TheBalor posted:

According to Double Down, what happened is that Biden's position actually did evolve, climaxing in a moment where a gay couple at a fundraiser asked him why they couldn't get married. Simultaneously, Obama's staff was planning a giant media event where the president came out in favor of gay marriage, because Obama had gotten tired of how weak his public position there was. Unfortunately, neither side told the other what was going on, so this lead to Joe Biden expressing his new views on national television weeks ahead of Obama's planned event. Cue the WH staffers howling for his blood, and Biden offering Obama an apology.

FWIW, Obama doesn't seem to hate Biden like his staffers do. They're actually quite close.

If only Obama grew tired of his perceived weakness on a host of other issues, this presidency might still go somewhere.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Patter Song posted:

Which works well until you have to describe an Afro-Caribbean or African immigrant to the United States who wasn't raised in the same cultural context as the people most people associate with African-American.

My parents are from Morocco and I'm olive skinned at best, if not white as hell, yet it would be straight up inaccurate to describe me as anything other than African-American given the current style parameters. What now?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

DynamicSloth posted:

I would say the expectation is certainly that Obama would give, at the least, tacit support to Biden, he really wouldn't have much choice, if Biden is running, "Why isn't the President endorsing his VP?" would be a bigger distraction than the intra party politics. Obama's support will certainly have more value in the primary than Clinton or Bush's, even if his general support is flagging the black vote is a huge swing constituency incredibly important in the stretch between New Hampshire and Super Tuesday.

Would that even help Biden at this point? Given the way polling has been going lately, I wouldn't be surprised to see Obama+staff take a more organizational role from behind the scenes. I think at least with public opinion of him where it's at now, it seems that's where he'd do the most work for a 2016 nominee.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Joementum posted:

Huckabee in the race would give Christie more of a plausible excuse to skip (or minimally invest in) Iowa, which is already going to be ridiculously crowded.

Also make him look a more healthy weight by comparison.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Joementum posted:

Brian Schweitzer is deploying the, "It's still 2007, right?" strategy in Iowa.

Wow that dude needs an injection of charisma

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

The Entire Universe posted:

Do you mean the kind that usually moves to Flawrda, opens up a shady brakes and mufflers shop, and hires people exactly like him so they can gently caress around in the garage making jokes about women and minorities who walk in the door?

Nice racism against Italians in this thread, makes me feel like I'm back on the 30s.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Joementum posted:

It's not as dumb as the Time cover was, I suppose, but uhhh :stare:

This looks like one of the bad Economist covers.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

So when exactly on Tuesday is the SOTU and how many responses are there going to be, exactly? I'm so hype for a taste of 2016. God I'm a broken person.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Has the "inevitable" candidate ever won? I have some bad memories from Hilary's run in 2008 and I don't find her to be quite the unstoppable force everyone else finds her to be.

Edit: I guess my question is this: who else can the democrats field from their stable of electable and prime-time ready candidates?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Joementum posted:

He's talking about a time, earlier in the coverup, when they tried to get Hunt to take the fall for the operation. They'd give him $1m, and then grant him clemency after the '74 election. Hunt didn't take the deal. Nixon later recounts that while being recorded in the White House and immediately after says that he's worried that Dean, who had just flipped, might have had a pocket tape recorder with Nixon talking about the payoff plan on an earlier occasion.

Brian Schweitzer has all but said that he's running and Martin O'Malley is testing the waters.

I'm beginning to think the Dems may be in trouble in 2016. Isn't there anyone, oh, I don't know, young, exciting and either ethnic or a woman?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Joementum posted:

As far as women and minority candidates on the Democratic bench, should Hillary decline to run, Gillibrand would likely open an exploratory committee and Klobuchar has been giving speeches in Iowa. Deval Patrick has said he's definitely not considering 2016, but again that could easily change without Hillary in the campaign. I think it's still too early for Booker and the Castro bros haven't won (and probably can't win) statewide, and Warren is comfortable in her Senate seat, but there will obviously be a lot of talk about them.

Oh, and Chelsea turns 35 in 2016 :v:

2016 is looking terrible. I have my fingers crossed for a dark horse candidate if this is the case.

I can't be the only one who's really unexcited about the prospect of a Hillary campaign/presidency, am I?

Aside from the obviously awesome historical factor of first woman nominee/president.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

I do believe a Rand Paul vs. Hillary Clinton general would produce the largest gender gap the electorate has ever seen

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Lycus posted:

Haha, :wow: really wants him to run again. Every time Mitt said "no" he just kept on trying to convince him.

Wolf Blitzer is in permanent horse-trading mode.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

The turnout and demographics make things very very hard for Republicans in presidential years. Also the increased care levels going into politics means people sort of care how the sausage gets made for like two months which is all also bad for them IMHO

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Ted Cruz makes me quiver with excitement for the 2016 debates. But which female candidate will pour all the men water at the table?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

The Obama hate will be so palpable it'll make you wonder what they'll do when he's gone

• Locked thread