Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
On the Democratic side, I can easily see it being Clinton/Biden/Warren. In that configuration, I think that Warren has the advantage as the establishment would be split between Clinton and Biden, and Warren could capture the liberal and youth voters. In that situation, assuming the Democratic establishment really doesn't want Warren, they would have to force either Clinton or Biden to drop early, which could get ugly as they both have significant bases of support and have no interest in consolation prizes.

As for the Republicans, the nomination is Romney's if he wants it. You can't buy the presidency, but you can buy the Republican nomination, and I don't see anyone being able to outspend Romney for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Second, and thoughts on Mitch Daniels considering a run? He's the president here at Purdue starting January 1, but as a midwestern governor I could see him at least sending out feelers, depending on where the GOP is come 2014.

I doubt it, if he wanted to run he would have run this time. Plus, being president of Purdue would be seen as a negative considering how much some Republicans distrust academics.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

Joementum posted:

Well, the big news from Reince is that he wants to have the next convention in June or July and has said point-blank "no more August conventions". The reason is obvious: the candidate can't spend funds they've raised for the general election until they've been nominated, so nominate them sooner. You can expect the Democrats to bump their convention up as well if the Republicans do this. He also wants a shorter primary and fewer debates, but the national committee has less control over that than they do the convention, where they have total control. He did float the regional rotating primary idea, which is very interesting, but unlikely to happen.

I thought they wanted to move the convention later for just that reason? The donation limits are $2,500 for the primary and $2,500 for the general election, and from what I understand the general election period starts when the candidate formally accepts his party's nomination. It makes sense to have the convention be later so you have maximum time to solicit $5,000 donations from people, rather than be limited to $2,500.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

Zas posted:

Is there a sitting governor who conceivably might have rejected fema aid in a comparable situation?

I doubt it, although I remember Oklahoma congressmen demanding that aid to their state after the tornadoes be offset by cutting social programs that they didn't like.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

MaxxBot posted:

Joseph Farah stated in an interview that Rubio and Cruz are both ineligible, I'm impressed by the small shred of integrity and consistency from someone you would expect absolutely none of that from, or perhaps he's just so xenophobic that he doesn't want either of them to win.

If Cruz is serious, there is plenty of time for a Constitutional Amendement to be passed to remove all doubt. I think all Democrats would support it, and I'm sure the RNC could raise enough support in red state Legislatures to get to 3/4.

• Locked thread