Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Couple thoughts.

First, if the radical right of the GOP wins the battle for the soul of the party and manages to get a Santorum-esque candidate nominated, do you think there would be room enough in the middle of the spectrum for Bloomberg to consider a run? A Blomberg/Huntsman ticket would be really attractive to moderates, I would have to think.

Second, and thoughts on Mitch Daniels considering a run? He's the president here at Purdue starting January 1, but as a midwestern governor I could see him at least sending out feelers, depending on where the GOP is come 2014.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005

mcmagic posted:

No he won't. The crazy base HATES him now and he'll never get through a primary. He's Jon Huntsman 2.0.

The crazy base is shrinking and needs to be marginalized anyways for the GOP to have a realistic shot in 2016. Getting someone who pisses off the crazies will be the best barometer of how far the GOP Civil War has resulted in a swing to the middle.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005

Doh004 posted:

Can you guys please stop assuming Elizabeth Warren is the greatest thing to ever happen? She doesn't have the personality to run for a national office. I get that she's exciting for us progressives here, but that isn't going to actually appeal to the rest of the country.

What exactly is missing from her personality that is fatal to her running for President?

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005

Thanks for the responses about Warren everyone. Truth be told I'm a bit behind in knowledge about the Dem side of 2016. Apparently I have some speeches to watch.

Oh, and Rubio is heading to Iowa next week.

IT BEGINS :unsmigghh:

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005

Constantly LARPing posted:

No, it won't. If you think Hispanics will largely move their support to Republicans because of who they are running, I'd like you to explain why blacks didn't get excited about Herman Freaking Cain.

Even if the GOP became more moderate on immigration, they'd still have a Latino problem. Most Latinos don't share cultural values with the GOP except for being against abortion. They tend to be very supportive of government assistance, a strong welfare state, and all the other things traditional Christian Democrat parties in Europe and Latin America support. In other words, the exact opposite of the GOP platform.

That's not to say Rubio couldn't win a primary, but what it seams like what we are debating here is not just who will run and could win, but who the party will support for strategic reasons. I'm sure a lot of Repubs will buy this line about getting Latinos excited about the GOP candidate, and Rubio will probably even play it up to get more support. But if the GOP actually thinks they can solve their minority problem by running a minority, they are insane.

Simply running a Latino won't result in a massive Latino boom to the GOP, I wholeheartedly agree. However, in order for Rubio to win over the GOP base, the party will have to undergo a significant change, especially in terms of immigration policy and a tactical retreat from some extremist social stances. Rubio winning the primary would be a good indicator for how far the GOP managed to swing back towards the center. Rubio wouldn't stand a chance in today's GOP primaries, mainly for racial reasons, but if he can win in 2016 is will signify that the GOP as a party has done the work necessary to bridge the gap between the base and Latinos.

Plus, the GOP doesn't need to "win" Latinos, they only need to get ~40% of the vote, which is what Bush, anti-gay marriage, pro-life, small government and all, managed to get in 2004.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005

withak posted:

If Clinton runs in 2016, I wonder how weird the furious irrational republican response to the name Clinton will seem to young people in both parties who weren't old enough to watch the news in the 90s. Cigars, definition of "is", stained dresses, Vince Foster, etc.

Probably about as irrationally furious as Democrats would be if a Bush ran in 2016.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005

Wow those Rice numbers are surprisingly high. I hope she at least takes a serious look at running.

Alas, no Huntsman :smith: , unless he is a large chunk of that "other" group

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005

Abel Wingnut posted:

Michelle is definitely sitting out, right?

Obama or Bachmann?

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005

Waterbed posted:

This is kind of out there. But that job would do wonders for Christie in 2016... sooooo. Gamble?

Uh that job would be a kiss of death for Christie in the GOP. Not a gamble at all.

How well do Christie and Bloomberg get along?

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005

jeffersonlives posted:

Bloomberg's big three things for a politician are gun control, climate change, and public transportation. Christie's an enemy on two and neutral on the third.

Dang I could easily get behind those 3 things. I wonder how closely Bloomberg is watching the debate in the Republican party. If the Tea Party/Old White Establishment wins the civil war, there would definitely be room in the middle for an independent like him, especially if his buddy Cuomo isn't running.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005

Maggie Haberman on Twitter posted:

R donors still blaming Christie and the hurricane privately. Not the candidate or his campaign/polling.

This could make it hard for Christie to get funding in 2016. Even though this is completely wrong, if the main donors think it, it shuts off a lot of revenue possibilities for a Christie campaign and ensures that the leadning non-Christie candidate (Ryan?) may have a large monetary lead over him in the primaries.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005

Thundercracker posted:

However, make absolutely no mistake: He will not get out of the GOP primaries. He's nowhere near what a "real republican" is supposed to be these days. That, and I think he much prefers the direct powers of the mayorial office to the futility of the Presidency. Micromanager is definitely the correct term for him.

Oh I don't think he'd run in any party's primaries but would instead run as a third party candidate. If the GOP select a Ryan or Santorum-esque candidate, then there would definitely be room in the middle for a third candidate. I just wonder how quickly Bloomberg could build the infrastructure for a presidential run without a party framework

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Someone isn't popular.

I didn't think his performance was THAT bad...

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005

Sylink posted:

I'm glad that saying "I'm actually retarded and don't understand how to empirically determine an answer to a question by using evidence" is an acceptable answer for conservatives.

Saying "there are multiple sources of authority on that particular topic" is a pretty good median ground and solid answer.

e: also, in that above poll, a plurality of respondents don't think or are unsure that Genesis and science are in conflict with one another

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005

A Winner is Jew posted:

It literally takes one college level geology class to disprove creationism and young earth theory.

One loving geology class.

and one theology class to disprove the other

e: don't take this post as advocacy of the stance

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005

Kaal posted:

The disaster that is the GOP is the direct result of Reagan. Very little has changed for them since his political reign.

Reagan wouldn't make it out of the primaries in the current GOP

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005

Hillary became unwell, passed out, got a concussion. Time for questions about her health and ability to physically lead a country to come up.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005

jeffersonlives posted:

Per Thomas Burr of the Salt Lake Tribune, Jon Huntsman has closed out his campaign's federal account after paying another $250k out of his own pocket to retire the remainder of his debt, just to shovel some more dirt on the Huntsman grave.

Goodnight, sweet prince....unless you're selected to run in a 3rd party ticket with Bloomberg

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Possible insight into primary voters from the end of that article.

So the GOP will choose between far right and farther right candidates. Excellent. That should win over the independents and moderates come general election time.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005

e: scratch that, nevermind.

From the early comments of Rand Paul and Rick Santorum, it sounds like the GOP candidates are basically going to bash the "established" GOP brand, blaming it for 2012, and trying to take the party in a new direction. 2016 could easily swing the GOP into a more libertarian bent or more extreme religious right if no good "established" candidate comes forward

ManifunkDestiny fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Aug 12, 2013

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005

Joementum posted:

Obama's approval rating isn't doing well, though. Even if you remove Rasmussen and include all poll options, he's been underwater in job approval since the start of June.

The main reason I scratched it is because Obama had similar numbers in 2010, and still won re-election 2 years later

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005

FMguru posted:

Nah, it's just someone's merchandise booth. I presume he'll also sell you a Liberal Hunting Permit or a "One Big rear end Mistake, America" bumper sticker.

2016 gonna be a blizzard of misogyny

Especially if Condi runs

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005

Quasimango posted:

It was, and it's the chief thing that might make her lose it in 2016 too.

Or we could go all topsy-turvy, where a Clinton/Paul GE (god help us) makes the Democrats the party of a strong defense and the GOP the party of dovish isolationism

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005

Rep. Cathy McMorris-Rodgers (from my native Spokane) is giving the GOP SOTU response. Could be an interesting dark horse for 2016.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005

teacup posted:

Is Hillary still in a state of not saying anything? Last I checked in was ages ago and she'd taken a fall and in hospital people were already saying she won't run due to that. Has she said/done anything to Indicate either way?

No and I would be surprised if she says anything definitive before October of 2015

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005

Cliff Racer posted:

She was probably given the SOTU response to try to appeal to women. It might work but only in the way that if she gives a successful speech she'd appeal to everyone. I wonder what the party announcement re: immigration will be. I suspect that they might just signal willingness to work towards amnesty at a party level and the base will hate that and revolt against it. That alone could sink whatever her (non-existent) presidential ambitions are. Ultimately I suspect this will do about as much to appeal to women voters as Romney repeatedly saying "women and men" and other such bullshit at the last convention did, i.e. not at all.

Idle speculation but this could also be posturing for a run at Boehner's job after the midterms

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005

Joementum posted:

Rand brought up the topic of impeachment today. No, not about Obama. About the guy they actually did impeach.

Just a little preview of the fun times we've got in store in 2016. I hope we get a Filegate callback too. That was my favorite.

Speaking of filing, when do the candidates usually have to file? What's the window of time for announcements?

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005

I'm really amazed that so many here are poo-poohing Christie's candidacy because of a relatively mild scandal that emerged more than 2 years before the first primary. You all have more faith in the collective memory in the American voting populace than I do I guess.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005

Breaking on NYTimes, Christie knew about lane closings, according to the Port Authority. That should pretty much eliminate him from 2016.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005

Rygar201 posted:

So the field is not something like Paul, Cruz, Bush (lol), Walker, and probably some of the book tour clowns?

Ryan would have to be in there, so too Perry, with Huckabee lurking as a possibility as well.

Basically all hail president Clinton :smithicide:

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005

Obama aides going on the record and criticizing HRC's 2016 strategy, saying she's making the same mistakes as 2008.

Snippet:

quote:

“I just don’t see any strategic value in stories positioning her as inevitable or the pre-emptive nominee, and I don’t think people who are out there talking about this help her, and I think she should make that clear,” said Joel Benenson, Obama’s chief campaign pollster and now the top White House pollster. “She doesn’t need this. If she decides to run for president, everybody knows she’s going to be able to raise money, everybody knows she’s going to be extremely formidable, that she’s going to have a significant network of supporters around the country — so what’s the value of all this in 2014?”

In 2008, that sense of inevitability had tactical consequences: her positions drew more scrutiny than her rivals’, and observers developed a rooting interest in the underdog, while donors and operatives who hadn’t gotten in on the Clinton ground floor 20 years earlier went elsewhere. And Obama aides, who outmaneuvered the Clinton juggernaut seven years ago, see similar weaknesses developing already.
“The further out front the effort to elect Sec. Clinton is three years before election day, the greater the incentive is for the press, prospective opponents, and adversarial groups to scrutinize and attack her every move,” said Ben LaBolt, the national press secretary for the 2012 Obama campaign. “Even if it is a well-known candidate — sometimes more so — activists, donors, and voters like to see candidates fighting for every vote. If they start to feel like their power and influence is diminished it could have unforeseen consequences — we learned that lesson the hard way during the New Hampshire primary in 2008.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005

Joementum could be a thing in 2016, as Joe Scarborough is kicking the tires on a possible 2016 run

quote:

Sources close to MSNBC host Joe Scarborough think he is seriously considering the prospect of leaving morning television to run for president in 2016.

Last week, Scarborough was all smiles — even letting out a laugh — on “Morning Joe” when Weekly Standard editor Bill Kristol suggested on the air that Scarborough could represent the “Jon Huntsman lane” in a 2016 GOP primary.

But behind the scenes, those who know Scarborough are not laughing.

It’s widely believed at MSNBC — including among network brass — that Scarborough is actively mulling a presidential bid, sources said.

Meanwhile, some of Scarborough’s guests are beginning to talk him up as a possible candidate. Mark McKinnon — the former adviser to George W. Bush and John McCain who co-founded the group No Labels and appears on Morning Joe regularly — said he has talked about the prospect of a White House campaign with Scarborough “ever since we first met years ago, but always in the abstract.”

“On paper, he’s a great candidate,” McKinnon told The Daily Caller. “He has the kind of confidence, ideas and media savvy required to make it on the big stage. And he’d be a lot of fun to watch because he wouldn’t be afraid to mix it up with anybody on any topic. I think it would be highly entertaining and good for the party.”

Added McKinnon: “I think Joe looks at the potential field and thinks, ‘I could compete.’ And I think there are potential donors and supporters who think the same thing.”

Another Scarborough friend — a Republican who has appeared as a guest on Morning Joe many times — said the notion of a 2016 campaign is no joke: “I definitely wouldn’t fall in the laughing category.”

“I think it’s a very wide open field,” the friend told TheDC by phone. “He’s an articulate spokesperson for conservatives. No doubt about it.”

Here is the thinking behind a Scarborough bid:

The field is wide open.
Republicans won’t nominate a senator. They want a D.C. outsider.
Scarborough would perform well in debates, which mattered in the 2012 contest.
Scarborough, through his recent book, has offered a blueprint for reform for the GOP.
There are just as many hurdles for Scarborough that would likely be turnoffs in a Republican nominating contest: His show represents the thinking of the Washington and New York political elite. He works for a liberal news network. He’s been divorced twice. He resigned from Congress.

“Now, realistically, his MSNBC association and some of his positions could kill him in the crib (though, a lot of people would be surprised to discover he is more conservative than they think),” McKinnon acknowledged. “And professionally and economically, it could be just this side of crazy. But no one ever accused him of playing things safe.

“I’d say he’s got a pretty good itch and one of these days, some year, he’s gonna scratch it,” McKinnon added.

Scarborough did not return an email seeking comment for this story. But in an interview with TheDC in November, the MSNBC host said he was open to running for office again.

“I suspect in the future — if that happens again — and I feel the calling to do it, I’ll do it with the one hesitation — that I got a 10-year-old girl who has said I can’t do it until she’s out of high school,” Scarborough said.

“I don’t know if I’m going to make it that long,” he added. “But I don’t think I’m going to be jumping in anytime soon.”

Scarborough acknowledged that he wrote his recent book, “The Right Path: From Ike to Reagan, How Republicans Once Mastered Politics–and Can Again,” with the 2016 presidential election in mind.

“The reason I wrote the book and the reason I’m going around the country talking about these issues is because 2016 is going to be an extraordinarily important year,” Scarborough said. “We can’t lose another election.”

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005

SombreroAgnew posted:

Since when are GOP libertarians pro-choice?

I'm guessing it's the whole "small/no government" thing

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005

Just an idle thought, but if it's Christie/Clinton, both candidates may lose their home states in the GE (if you count Arkansas, not NY, for Hillary)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005

Sooooo the GOP side could have Ryan/Paul/Cruz courting the strong base/dar right while Christie/Bush/Mittens go more for the center. Throw in Carson and maybe Huckabee and you've got one hell of a clusterfuck. Shame the Democratic side is gonna be boring.

• Locked thread