Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Max22 posted:

That's my point. I want there to be a reason I can't just dial the difficulty back to the lowest setting.

You aren't going to play Far Cry 4 if there isn't an Achievement for playing it on a hard difficulty.

loving lol through space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
New gameplay of farcry 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHq33Y3Ig1Q

Shangri La myth mission. all in hindi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q7jf7xF1SU
Arena game play :nws: contains a spot of dick :nws:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXFWJKAOxJs
25 min of open world.

Looks real fun, hopefully the story wont be poo poo like 3.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

pengun101 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q7jf7xF1SU
Arena game play :nws: contains a spot of dick :nws:

Looks exactly like Far Cry 3, even down to the weapon models (except the clip on the AK-47, for some reason.) That's no mark against it, and I guess some of those might be development assets, but still, I guess I was expecting something a little more different.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

StandardVC10 posted:

Looks exactly like Far Cry 3, even down to the weapon models (except the clip on the AK-47, for some reason.) That's no mark against it, and I guess some of those might be development assets, but still, I guess I was expecting something a little more different.

I'm gonna be using that grenade launcher and double barrel shotgun a lot but yeah pretty much. Also the crossbow looks kinda silly and I hope someone mods in the original bow :shobon:

E:

Oh, there's a regular bow. :downs:

Beeb fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 22, 2014

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

StandardVC10 posted:

I just want to kill poachers with a loving elephant and I don't remember that in Far Cry 3.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
Next-gen Exotic Animal Murder Simulator 4.0 is my most looked forward to game of the year.

you can loving C4 motherfucking elephants and die under a unmotherfuckingstoppable assault from motherfucking honey badgers

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

pengun101 posted:

New gameplay of farcry 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHq33Y3Ig1Q

Shangri La myth mission. all in hindi.

So it actually does pretty much do the same "Got high, had a vision quest" thing that Far Cry 3 does. I won't hold hitting the same beats as FC3 against FC4 unless you wake up boning the chick from the arena or something, though. At that point it's a bit too egregious with being the same game, different place.

StandardVC10 posted:

All I ask is that they take those stupid as poo poo rails off the guns when I'm not using a drat sight :negative:

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder

StandardVC10 posted:

The whole thing looks and feels like a copy/paste from Far Cry 3. They just changed the story and the setting. I'll probably pick it up anyway because it has coop.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Anybody know what, if any, differences there'll be between xbone/ps4 and 360/ps3? I mean besides one version looking better than the other.

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder
What's the maximum number of players in coop in Far Cry 4 anyway? Can't find that anywhere.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Ninja fetus posted:

What's the maximum number of players in coop in Far Cry 4 anyway? Can't find that anywhere.

I think two.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ninja fetus posted:

The whole thing looks and feels like a copy/paste from Far Cry 3. They just changed the story and the setting. I'll probably pick it up anyway because it has coop.

So? FC3 was one of the funnest games ever. So long as they pull off the Himalayas, which it looks like they've done, it's going to own.

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder
Oh that sucks. Was hoping for 4 :(

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder

Volkerball posted:

So? FC3 was one of the funnest games ever. So long as they pull off the Himalayas, which it looks like they've done, it's going to own.
Yeah. Not necessarily a bad thing. Had a lot of fun with FC3. It's just that Ubisoft is a little bland when it comes to their games. Pretty much everything they're doing these days involves capturing outposts, etc.

edit: Double post. Oops.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Ninja fetus posted:

Oh that sucks. Was hoping for 4 :(

What she's have shown of share play and request help from a friend has all been one person joining you.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

FC3 had a totally retarded story but was pretty and had a great gameplay "feel" and is fun as hell to play, with hilarious gator ambushes and cassowaries taking over outposts. FC4 looks kind of like a prettier updated clone of FC3, the concept art of the villain even looks kind of Vas-like to me, but eh. As long as it's got the fun gameplay.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

I just hope Ajay isn't as insufferable as Jason was. Also respawning outposts out the box, please.

Also bring back Far Cry 2's sleeping to advance time mechanism.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Capn Beeb posted:

Also bring back Far Cry 2's sleeping to advance time mechanism.

This is in FYI.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

Volkerball posted:

It had some fun elements, but it was also incredibly repetitive with endless amounts of boring sidequests, radiotowers, collectibles...

That they've simply reskinned Far Cry 3, and that they just changed the location for the already godawful story, doesn't bode very well.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

CSM posted:

It had some fun elements, but it was also incredibly repetitive with endless amounts of boring sidequests, radiotowers, collectibles...

That they've simply reskinned Far Cry 3, and that they just changed the location for the already godawful story, doesn't bode very well.

This is pretty much word for word the same criticism leveled at FC3 with regards to FC2. You're probably not going to like this game, guy.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

This is in FYI.

Oh poo poo, really? Like the whole set your watch to the desired time thing and all?

Edit:

Seems outposts have been overhauled as well, neat :toot:

Beeb fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 26, 2014

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Capn Beeb posted:

Seems outposts have been overhauled as well, neat :toot:

Source for this?

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Ultimate Mango posted:

Source for this?

watching a motherfucking elephant gently caress up some motherfucking dudes singlehandedly clearing and then detonating the c4 you put on the motherfucking elephant in a motherfucking jihad elephant pro tactics

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

watching a motherfucking elephant gently caress up some motherfucking dudes singlehandedly clearing and then detonating the c4 you put on the motherfucking elephant in a motherfucking jihad elephant pro tactics

I must have missed that video. Sounds aight

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Far Cry 3 became immensely more enjoyable once I found a mod that ups the amount of pirates that you encounter on the island. Then it became a game of trying to sneaky on your way to the next outpost instead of just driving to each of them unhindered like you can in vanilla.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Capn Beeb posted:

Oh poo poo, really? Like the whole set your watch to the desired time thing and all?

Yeah it's basically identical to the FC2 system.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Yeah it's basically identical to the FC2 system.

poo poo yes, that was awesome.

Ultimate Mango posted:

Source for this?

This Gamespot article

I'm trying to find the thing, but apparently when you take an outpost over, enemies can take it back and you'll get called asking to defend it. I think I saw being able to tick the option to repopulate outposts is in by default, and there are also larger outposts/fortresses now? So that's cool :toot:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

CSM posted:

Most of the collectibles weren't required though. I remember the requirements to get the signature weapons were really low, so the only reason to plow through them entirely was to 100% it. The hunting missions were awesome, hunting on your own for poo poo to craft in hostile territory when every gunshot anywhere was met with "What dee gently caress?" was awesome, outposts were awesome. If that kind of stuff didn't seem fun to you, you probably aren't going to like this game.

Re: outpost overhaul, gently caress YES. After my first play through in 3, I had to double back and do another one without taking any outposts outside of the ones absolutely necessary because driving around in poo poo you own gets old. If the AI really could launch attacks back, and you could respond to those, it would be incredible.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
Wow, the weapons are literally exactly the same as in FC3. That's a bit lame and lazy. FC4 looks pretty much like a huge dlc for FC3, but that's not a problem because FC3 is one of my favourite games of the last few years.

LeninsTomb
Aug 27, 2002
Here's Cliff Martinez's soundtrack for FC4 if anyone is interested:

http://www.factmag.com/2014/11/03/hear-cliff-martinezs-original-soundtrack-for-far-cry-4/

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Bit disappointed to see what people are saying about the weapons, part of the fun is meant to be discovering the arsenal.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Bit disappointed to see what people are saying about the weapons, part of the fun is meant to be discovering the arsenal.

There's a crossbow. I haven't really looked at the weapons yet, but there's probably more changes than people are letting on.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Volkerball posted:

There's a crossbow. I haven't really looked at the weapons yet, but there's probably more changes than people are letting on.

Probably because reactionary hyperbole gets more attention.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
theres c4 elephants in this game people will complain about anything.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
That is A LOT of recycled assets, even the animations are the same for healing/reloads/melee, super lazy even for Ubi.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Control Volume posted:

This is pretty much word for word the same criticism leveled at FC3 with regards to FC2. You're probably not going to like this game, guy.

I don't know, my biggest criticisms for Far Cry 3 had little to do with Far Cry 2, and some of the most common complaints I saw (back when FC3 first came out) were generally along the lines of, "why did they get rid of [some sort of FC2 mechanic] instead of figuring out how to improve it?" For example, the absence of the sleep to pass time mechanic, jamming/degrading weapons, or tools like IEDs and mortar tubes that encouraged different strategies, etc. In fact, I really feel like the two were pretty different games.

My main problem with FC3 was that it was incredibly broad but shallow--it offered a lot of things to do, but nothing could really provide more than 10 or 15 minutes of activity. The game constantly wanted to remind you to GO HERE and DO THAT, and to rope you into things with one of the most obnoxious mission prompts I've seen in years, but there was strikingly little depth to virtually any aspect of the game. Then you had the super unsubtle RED versus BLUE TEAM base-hopping struggle that really could have benefited from feeling a little less like you were playing a multiplayer game.

And the animals were a very welcome addition that helped break up the monotony of fighting the same soldiers over and over again (FC2 really sucked in this regard), but then they went completely gonzo with it and it seemed like entire island was crawling with an endless zoo of creatures that all wanted to kill each other. I can't count the number of times a sneaky ambush was waylaid by komodo dragons or a tiger or some rear end in a top hat animal that singlehandedly dispatched 2-4 enemy NPCs. Again, it was cool in concept, but it's like the developers wanted to make sure that you were stumbling across somebody being killed by an animal every five minutes, because otherwise people might find the game too boring. After seeing an emu maul somebody for the tenth time in a couple of hours, it's like, "I loving get it. It'd be cooler if it wasn't happening all the time."

For me, though, the worst thing was that the game was piss-easy, even on the hardest difficulty.

I'll periodically reinstall the game and fart around with it (it seems like the real point of the game is to abandon the storyline and just run around, being a jackass--despite the prompts constantly shouting at you to GO HERE AND TALK TO NPC SO YOU CAN DO SOMETHING) but, even though I play a lot of similar sandbox games, I get bored with this one after 20 or 30 minutes.

EDIT: That is all to say that if FC4 expands enough on FC3 by adding new weapons and strategies (which is seems to) and provides some sort of challenge so that I'm not death incarnate after 15 minutes of playing the game, I'll still pick it up at some point. Not for $60, but definitely discounted during a future Steam Sale.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Nov 5, 2014

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

That is A LOT of recycled assets, even the animations are the same for healing/reloads/melee, super lazy even for Ubi.

I don't really give a poo poo if there's recycled assets, as long as they improve on the gameplay. I hate nothing more than a game that strives to be prettier and have better graphics and then ships with sub-par, half-finished gameplay.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Snak posted:

I don't really give a poo poo if there's recycled assets, as long as they improve on the gameplay. I hate nothing more than a game that strives to be prettier and have better graphics and then ships with sub-par, half-finished gameplay.

Yeah, this isn't such a big deal in my book. Take Fallout 3 -> New Vegas, for example. A ton of recycled assets, but a pretty different experience, with the latter expanding and generally improving upon the former's formula.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah, this isn't such a big deal in my book. Take Fallout 3 -> New Vegas, for example. A ton of recycled assets, but a pretty different experience, with the latter expanding and generally improving upon the former's formula.

They at least redid a shitton of animations and added like 10x the weapons for New Vegas. I seriously hope that I'm wrong, but drat does it look like this is just gonna be another shameless Ubi cash-grab :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

They at least redid a shitton of animations and added like 10x the weapons for New Vegas. I seriously hope that I'm wrong, but drat does it look like this is just gonna be another shameless Ubi cash-grab :(

The more I see, the less I feel like it's going to be worth $60, but will still be an enjoyable experience to pick up and play for short bursts between other things. I don't mind giving Ubi $10 somewhere down the road, though.

• Locked thread