Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Gladu
Nov 26, 2008

Did anyone play the japanese version of EOU2, or heard feedback from the japanese audience about the story mode?
I tried it in EOU1 and ended up regretting it. The story was mediocre even with Raquna, and I probably would have preferred it with the classic barebone story and party creation.
Was too tired of it to go for a second playthrough.

I'm 90% sure I won't make the same mistake and play classic this time, but I'd like to know more before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Depends on what you disliked about the first one's story. There's no real ambiguity about your mission in EO2, so having a party of plucky JRPG protagonists out to save the world isn't a change in tone. On the other hand if you just hated how chatty they were and the difficulty of changing your party composition, you're SOL. (If you just hated Arthur and his smug rear end face, it's a toss up--he's gone but there's no guarantee you'll like the others.)

This time the extra content isn't gated behind story mode though so I think it's down to personal preference. Classic mode WILL be more of a challenge without the Fafnir craziness to tear through the grossly inflated boss HP totals.

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 10, 2015

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I unironically want an Etrian Odyssey game where one of the bosses is either a squirrel or a crayfish and Ragelope is the strongest FOE in the game.

I got a real kick out of how the 5th stratum enemies in EO3 were mostly the 1st stratum enemies from EO1... but yes it would be great..

I am kind of contemplating if I should not do expert on EOU2 (classic) even though I did it on EOU1 (Classic), due to all of the complaints about the game being balanced for the Fafnir.

Anyway it's good to hear this is confirmed to be localized

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm actually looking at the screenshots for EOU2 and I'm most excited about the map screen they show. Open treasure chests? Rocks!? Some kind of hyper advanced autowalk system or something!!!? EIGHT FLOOR PAINTING COLORS!?!?!?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

^^^^^^^
EDIT: Congratulations, you are not a true EO fan until the mapping options get you as excited as the new classes. :v:

In fairness, you can do insane damage with a classic mode party too (e.g., 2000% damage multiplier to fully-bound enemies with Ectstacy), and there are traps and such that reduce boss HP along the lines of the Boiling Lizard in EOIV. But yeah, near as I can tell, Knight of Fafnir is the only feature that's story-mode exclusive, and what it really breaks is the action economy.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I unironically want an Etrian Odyssey game where one of the bosses is either a squirrel or a crayfish and Ragelope is the strongest FOE in the game.
I like to think the Iron Crabs on B30F are grown-up crayfish. And I guess EOIV had the palette-swapped Ragealope in the 4th land. No squirrels yet, unless that's what this is supposed to be.

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 10, 2015

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rangpur posted:

^^^^^^^
EDIT: Congratulations, you are not a true EO fan until the mapping options get you as excited as the new classes. :v:

I am also hype for the new anime childrens but map making is my true passion.

I'm getting by with only 3 colors and limited symbols in E03 but it's painful.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
I'm a little concerned all the new mapping options will make it like Persona Q's mapping, which I was less than fond of. On the other hand COLOURS.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SC Bracer posted:

I'm a little concerned all the new mapping options will make it like Persona Q's mapping, which I was less than fond of. On the other hand COLOURS.

What was bad about it? I didn't play it and probably won't because I have no familiarity with Persona (and also because I think its reception was pretty lukewarm...?).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The only things I hated about Persona Q's mapping were that some walls of the map would light up to be drawn in, but they'd be fragmented because of a gap in the area or something. That and after beating the bosses in Dungeons 1 - 4, you auto-walk to the treasure chest, coloring the floor panels between the door and the chest the default gray floor of the Labyrinth, which sucks when you have a different floor color.

Aside from that, I liked the way things were done.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Why exactly did people think Untold wasn't going to leave Japan? Hasn't every single EO?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i don't really know, i kinda thought it was a given so i wasn't that excited

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Volt Catfish posted:

Why exactly did people think Untold wasn't going to leave Japan? Hasn't every single EO?

Because (at least from what I heard) EO2U sold really badly in Japan (a result of releasing 6 days after ORAS and backlash against the DLC, again from what I've heard) and EOU's sales apparently weren't that impressive either to begin with.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think the big reason people might have been worried was that Etrian Mystery Dungeon, which came out later in Japan than EOU2, was announced here first.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Regy Rusty posted:

What was bad about it? I didn't play it and probably won't because I have no familiarity with Persona (and also because I think its reception was pretty lukewarm...?).

I just found it super clunky compared to regular EO mapping. Symbols would be packed into their own drawers, some of which made very little sense. Like shortcuts and chests would be in their own pop up, so you had to tap, switch, and then drag that shortcut onto the map then tap, switch, and put the treasure symbol in, and it just didn't feel streamlined to me, compared to the EO panel of map symbols.

Automapping walls also makes corners touch and noooooo

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The only things I hated about Persona Q's mapping were that some walls of the map would light up to be drawn in, but they'd be fragmented because of a gap in the area or something. That and after beating the bosses in Dungeons 1 - 4, you auto-walk to the treasure chest, coloring the floor panels between the door and the chest the default gray floor of the Labyrinth, which sucks when you have a different floor color.

Aside from that, I liked the way things were done.

Why didn't you just turn off the guidelines if you didn't like them? I thought they were useful since they were a middle ground between nothing and auto mapping walls, so there was less of a chance of drawing a wall were none existed and still kept the interactive element.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

I think the big reason people might have been worried was that Etrian Mystery Dungeon, which came out later in Japan than EOU2, was announced here first.

That was because of unintentional leaking though, right?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SC Bracer posted:

I just found it super clunky compared to regular EO mapping. Symbols would be packed into their own drawers, some of which made very little sense. Like shortcuts and chests would be in their own pop up, so you had to tap, switch, and then drag that shortcut onto the map then tap, switch, and put the treasure symbol in, and it just didn't feel streamlined to me, compared to the EO panel of map symbols.

Automapping walls also makes corners touch and noooooo

Well it doesn't look like we have to worry about that since the map screenshot just has the same two tabs with slightly different symbols, just like the 3DS EO games so far.

Also I'm scared to ask for you to elaborate on that last part because I remember what happened the last time this thread got going on talking about peoples individual map making quirks...

I don't draw walls around stairs and doors.

Volt Catfish posted:

That was because of unintentional leaking though, right?

I don't know, was it? I didn't pay that much attention to news about EMD.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

:dogbutton:

I can't wait for my EO3 LP when I show how to draw maps properly

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Regy Rusty posted:

Well it doesn't look like we have to worry about that since the map screenshot just has the same two tabs with slightly different symbols, just like the 3DS EO games so far.

Also I'm scared to ask for you to elaborate on that last part because I remember what happened the last time this thread got going on talking about peoples individual map making quirks...

Oh good.

quote:

Walls go around stairs but not doors, god.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > ITT: We discuss proper wall drawing techinque

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

Why didn't you just turn off the guidelines if you didn't like them? I thought they were useful since they were a middle ground between nothing and auto mapping walls, so there was less of a chance of drawing a wall were none existed and still kept the interactive element.

I'm super OCD about video games.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

SC Bracer posted:

Walls go around stairs but not doors, god.

THANK you.

I don't put walls around doors on any side. It drives my friend nuts.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm super OCD about video games.

Yeah, but if you just turn them straight off, it'd be like any other EO game. I don't see the connection here.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

quote:

No walls around doors

But your maps will look so ugly! Continuous lines are far more appealing to the eye!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

you draw walls where there are walls

so on either side of a door, and the part around the stairs that isn't the path leading from them

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

Yeah, but if you just turn them straight off, it'd be like any other EO game. I don't see the connection here.

I wasn't saying that it was something that made me hate the game. I was just saying it was a small thing that irked me.

Granted, I could prevent it from irking me, but I'm admittedly just being stubborn with the way I play. :downs:

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Speaking of maps, how do you deal with stairs that are part of an open area like the one from floor 3 in EO1/Untold?
Do you draw only walls on the top and right of the stair despite the left side being a physical wall?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i die a little inside

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Txn posted:

Speaking of maps, how do you deal with stairs that are part of an open area like the one from floor 3 in EO1/Untold?
Do you draw only walls on the top and right of the stair despite the left side being a physical wall?

I draw a wall on the side that I cannot go up/down from. Simple as that.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Cake Attack posted:

i die a little inside

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dr. Fetus posted:

Cake Attack posted:

i die a little inside

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

All of the above.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
I cry into my pillow.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Cake Attack posted:

i die a little inside
I'm actually glad there's more people who felt like this.

Dr. Fetus posted:

You mean like this?

It's still painful.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It sucks, but you gotta do it.

It has to be... perfect.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I just left them and didn't draw any lines.

I do draw walls around my stairs but not my doors.

The big things that annoyed me about PQ's mapping are that I marked directions required to open shortcuts with the old autowalk arrows, and that the auto-wall-drawer is super convenient but it sucks because it draws walls around pits and water. I usually don't do that in case FOEs can jump over it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Txn posted:

You mean like this?

It's still painful.

Just looking at that makes me cringe.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Txn posted:

I'm actually glad there's more people who felt like this.

You mean like this?

It's still painful.

I hated this so much when I encountered it!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

But the map must be perfect. I mean, there's an FOE in that area. What if you were on the run and then accidentally went to the wrong side of the stairs because you didn't make a good enough map??!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

New thread is live, this one closes at midnight, EST.

Be sure to point all out the key stuff I probably forgot!

• Locked thread