Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

Opinions on the wisdom of booking SAS for this summer? There’s a few crazy deals for a flat bed across the Atlantic (prem. econ west business class east for ~1400 level crazy) but I have no idea if they’ll still be in operation, or if transiting any of their hubs is a nightmare.

SAS is the flag carrier of three European nations. Despite the bankruptcy, I can't see them going away. That's a decent price for J, though if their funding deal with KL goes through, they'll leave Star Alliance and join SkyTeam if elite qualification matters to you.

CPH, OSL, and ARN are all nice, modern airports that are easy to transit.

Beef Of Ages fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Beef Of Ages posted:

SAS is the flag carrier of three European nations. Despite the bankruptcy, I can't see them going away. That's a decent price for J, though if their funding deal with KL goes through, they'll leave Star Alliance and join SkyTeam if flute qualification matters to you.

CPH, OSL, and ARN are all nice, modern airports that are easy to transit.

Ooh I didn't hear about the possibility of them joining SkyTeam, I would love that. I haven't flown SAS yet because they're not.

Been to ARN a few times and currently in Norway/via OSL, both are lovely airports and easy to get around.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

Ooh I didn't hear about the possibility of them joining SkyTeam, I would love that. I haven't flown SAS yet because they're not.

Been to ARN a few times and currently in Norway/via OSL, both are lovely airports and easy to get around.

Yup, the AF/KL consortium is buying a 20% stake, subject to regulatory approvals.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

EricBauman posted:

Because I'm traveling more for work, I need a smallish suitcase.

I really love my small Samsonite carry-on that's small enough that I never even have to argue about it being a carry-on, but the only other suitcase I have is a 160 liter monstrosity that I bought when I had to bring enough stuff to live in another country for six months.

What's a good medium sized thing in between those? So bigger than a carry-on, but smaller than my family sized "moving to the Middle East with all my clothes" suitcase.

Maybe it's irrational, but I like hardshell. I'm in Europe so that will affect what's available to me

Luggage is a total personal decision but if you're checking something in, you don't want something too nice because it's inevitably going to get lots of dents, scratches, bigger damage. Other than that, "bigger than a carry on" and "smaller than 160L" is literally everything in the world. Hardshell IMO is a good idea for checked bags. Checked bags also have maximum dimensions for many carriers and the penalty of being oversized, overweight is big.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

BOS -> LGA tomorrow at 3pm. Thoughts? :munch:

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Hadlock posted:

Yeah that's a no from me dawg.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hadlock posted:

https://www.amtrak.com/home

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

For real, I don't know how this specific route is but it looks incredible similar to SEA-PDX which I take the train for even though those airports are was less lovely to deal with than BOS and LGA.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

EricBauman posted:

Because I'm traveling more for work, I need a smallish suitcase.

I really love my small Samsonite carry-on that's small enough that I never even have to argue about it being a carry-on, but the only other suitcase I have is a 160 liter monstrosity that I bought when I had to bring enough stuff to live in another country for six months.

What's a good medium sized thing in between those? So bigger than a carry-on, but smaller than my family sized "moving to the Middle East with all my clothes" suitcase.

Maybe it's irrational, but I like hardshell. I'm in Europe so that will affect what's available to me

I don't like hardshell because they can be brittle and break down more easily than fabric. Soft sided bags tend to be more durable.

Also skip Travelpro. We have three of them and have regretted buying them because they're well known for having defective zippers. Lifetime warranty but we're almost on first name basis with the local authorized repair shop.

I love this local Seattle brand Tom Binh but they're not cheap. We have two of their 45L bags that are max Euro carryon dimensions and turn into backpacks.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

Also skip Travelpro. We have three of them and have regretted buying them because they're well known for having defective zippers. Lifetime warranty but we're almost on first name basis with the local authorized repair shop.

Oh interesting. My 20 year old samsonite just poo poo the bed when both handles fell off and was looking at a Travelpro based on the wire cutter review. I’ve got a Briggs and Riley as my main travel bag but sometimes we need a second carry on sized suitcase so I don’t feel like spending another $600 for a part time bag. The zippers are that reliably bad?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
My B&R checked bag has held up to a few trips to Asia just as well as my B&R carry on I've had for almost 20 years.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Oh interesting. My 20 year old samsonite just poo poo the bed when both handles fell off and was looking at a Travelpro based on the wire cutter review. I’ve got a Briggs and Riley as my main travel bag but sometimes we need a second carry on sized suitcase so I don’t feel like spending another $600 for a part time bag. The zippers are that reliably bad?

Yep, I bought based on the Wirecutter reviews too and wish I'd just bought B&R. If you look at the comments in the Wirecutter review you'll see similar sentiments.

Every time I check a bag (which is often, I throw caution to the wind and haven't ever had a lost bag), I have another zipper problem. Got back last Thursday from a trip and the pull was missing, but left for a personal trip the next day and so I'm traveling with that issue. And another one of my bags, the zipper just doesn't work anymore. One of our bags had to be completely replaced because the zipper wasn't fixable.

Going to make another trip to the repair shop after this vacation. We're about ready to give up and just buy B&R bags.

Edit: the three bags we own from Travelpro are from three different generations too, and the zipper issues are consistent across the generations. Bought them in .. 2017, 2018, 2019 I think.

Involuntary Sparkle fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 13, 2024

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I've had Crew line travelpro stuff that holds up fine.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I'm knocking on wood - also not had any issues with Travelpro

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Arzakon posted:

For real, I don't know how this specific route is but it looks incredible similar to SEA-PDX which I take the train for even though those airports are was less lovely to deal with than BOS and LGA.

The Boston-NYC Acela is a dream. WiFi, comfy seats, bar car, no TSA, both terminals are in central transit hubs…

Imagine you’re arriving in NYC and you have to get to Midtown. If you land at LGA you now have a 40 minute MTA ride (with a transfer) or an equally long cab ride. If you’re walking off the Acela you’re basically just… there.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Acela is great if you're going center city to center city but unfortunately I always end up having to go to north jersey and the advantages start to disappear pretty rapidly from there. This is despite living within a five minute walk from Back Bay station.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Look at you city-livers with your fancy rail service.

This is what my local Amtrak station looks like.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Look at mr fancy here with a building.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

in a well actually posted:

Look at mr fancy here with a building.

the one in the town near where i grew up had a building that wasn't open

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Amtrak stations in the US come in 3 distinct flavors:

Acela corridor major stops (DC, Philly, NYC, etc) that are big, spacious, and either complete modernized or have some grand architecture:

Older cities that were important when train travel was big (New Orleans, etc) that have relatively large stations that are nice but also feel like a throwback to the 1970s:

Everywhere else, where they're weird little operations that almost don't even feel real until the train actually pulls up. (Austin used here as an example: )

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You forgot one.

"We used to be important enough to be in the first category and then Amtrak abandoned us"

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I like that the buffalo/depew station is on Dick road.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Wow the population of Detroit went from 950k to 600k in 24 years

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Detroit: Don't Have A Car? gently caress You Then.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

(that's a picture of Buffalo Central Terminal - it was supposed to be the sister station for Grand Central in NYC)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I wish I could justify Acela over regular NEC. It’s like five minutes faster over the route I take and roughly three times as expensive.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Wow the population of Detroit went from 950k to 600k in 24 years

the land area and services are sized for like 2 million people or something bonkers like that

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Closing the loop on this tangent, the Detroit train station is scheduled to reopen this summer, apparently; as part of Ford building a new "mobility tech campus" around the station, or something:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/n...rk/72662528007/

I have questions about the value of building a new research campus in a dying city in the age of WFH but that's for a different thread

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

For one day I am at the top of the LP leaderboards. 75k

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Finally getting an A340, SEA-FRA on LH. Didn't even bother looking for Delta / SkyTeam routes... loyalty is not really worth it for me now anyways, and I'll probably get enough travel in anyways to hit Diamond on DL without having to make every trip on SkyTeam.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Is that the one with the downstairs bathrooms? I like that they're all together so it's just one line for like 5 toilets.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I am a board member of a nonprofit, and we often need to travel to conferences. One of the biggest expenses is hotel rooms, and with the greater diversity of our staff, it has become clear that we need some sort of formal policy about the sharing of rooms. Ideally, everyone would get a private room, but that would lead to us being able to send fewer people, and these conferences are valuable for staff development and networking with allied organizations. Is there a good model policy about this we can review and adopt so that everyone has the opportunity to participate while respecting people's boundaries?

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
My personal feeling is that adults on business shouldn't share hotel rooms.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The way I've always seen it is two people to a hotel room, unless specifically requested. If it's requested , it's immediately approved. The, uh, don't tell, don't ask policy. So you're gonna double up so we can save money, but we're not gonna force you to sleep in the same room we your coworker, but only if you ask. If the company can't afford to pay for separate rooms then you can't afford to go to the conference simple as that

TacoHavoc posted:

My personal feeling is that adults on business shouldn't share hotel rooms.

:yeah:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Konstantin posted:

while respecting people's boundaries?

My boundaries are I'm not sharing a loving hotel room with a colleague. That's some dystopian poo poo.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
No one with a serious HR department should ever allow co-workers to share a hotel room.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lots of wise posts ITT today

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Konstantin posted:

I am a board member of a nonprofit, and we often need to travel to conferences. One of the biggest expenses is hotel rooms, and with the greater diversity of our staff, it has become clear that we need some sort of formal policy about the sharing of rooms. Ideally, everyone would get a private room, but that would lead to us being able to send fewer people, and these conferences are valuable for staff development and networking with allied organizations. Is there a good model policy about this we can review and adopt so that everyone has the opportunity to participate while respecting people's boundaries?

I work for a non-profit too and while we do have limited budgets, we make sure everyone has their own space. Be it their own hotel room or their own bedroom in an AirBnB, when you've spent a whole day with your colleagues, being able to wind down on your own at the end of the day and to wake up at your own pace at the start is absolutely vital to not going insane while working on-location.

12Apr1961
Dec 7, 2013

Konstantin posted:

You may be better off asking this question at "Ask a Manager" website - it seems to be a hangout for non-profits managers, and this topic has been raised several times there. From causal perusal, I recall reading that non-profits and academia have wildly different standards from other industries, so there isn't really much useful advice to be had from a broader group.

For example, in my industry (software vendor, but I see a lot of consultancies doing business transformation projects, where we are a small technical part), everyone gets their own hotel room, no questions asked. Only exception is Indian colleagues, who prefer to get a short-term house let, and share kitchen facilities to cook their own meals (whether for financial, dietary or religious reasons). Even then, I believe they each have their own rooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What the gently caress does “greater diversity of staff” have to do with anything?

If you can’t afford single rooms you can’t afford to send that many people. Can’t believe it even has to be said.