Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

We have a global preferred hotel list, you can select from any of those and it's considered in-policy. Lots of nice places to choose from in most major cities. If none of those do the trick anything is fine so long as it's under the city rate cap. My "dinner" one night was 2 Rusty Nails at a bar, the next night our receipt was about 2 feet long and included several bottles of Jagermeister. Still managed to stay in-policy though since we split the bill evenly and paid individually. Needless to say we're pretty liberal so long as it's within the budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I book all my travel myself. Our company let's you book through our primary admin but it requires filling out a long form (not even our CEO has a direct admin as far as I know) and just isn't worth it in case of any screw ups.

Uncle Jam posted:

What is everyone's hotel policy?

We have no direct policy, it is generally a "use your head" policy.

I'm always going to customer sites (and all my expenses are billed through them) so I always ask whoever my customer contact is what their company's preferred hotel is. Then I book with that hotel using whatever corporate rate they've worked out. This can be good and bad, I've had some hotels that are ridiculously amazing (Copenhagen) and others that are terrible (DC).

size1one posted:

It's been my experience that the type of person who processes reimbursements are the least imaginative, most inflexible people I've ever met. I don't really think I can adequately describe how joyless and miserable every one of them seemed. Pray you never anger the accountants. They will not hesitate to nitpick your reimbursements.

This used to be the case for us until our expenses started getting handled out of India. The India finance group just doesn't seem to care like our US group used to. I once got a call from finance over a $25 checked bag fee for our customer conference because "anything over $15 requires a receipt." I was annoyed because I had included the receipt and about 50% of our customer facing employees were attending so I suppose I could have been stealing $25 but come on.

In a similar vein, what is everyone else's food/alcohol policy? Ours is $40/day for food and no alcohol at all unless you're "entertaining" customers which also grants you the ability to spend whatever you want within common sense levels. Generally though as long as your food expenses aren't way overboard (and your manager approves them) we're fine even if we have a beer or two with dinner.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lyon posted:

I was annoyed because I had included the receipt and about 50% of our customer facing employees were attending so I suppose I could have been stealing $25 but come on.

It's this attitude by finance that goes up my rear end sideways. People at the top are stealing hojillions of dollars and more or less getting away with it, and you want to put my nuts in a vise over a $30 parking charge? gently caress you.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

My company's policy for food is "don't go crazy" for the most part.

We had a change in the Regional Manager who was notorious for having a $7 limit on lunches and $15 limit for dinners. Thankfully our Group Leader (my boss) told him to stuff it and the policy hasn't really changed...much.

We're not suppose to charge alcohol but we have a weird policy of needing to submit a signed, itemized receipt. Unfortunately for our expense report group, very rarely do I sign the itemized receipt so they get the one that lists just the total charges + tip.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Lyon posted:

In a similar vein, what is everyone else's food/alcohol policy? Ours is $40/day for food and no alcohol at all unless you're "entertaining" customers which also grants you the ability to spend whatever you want within common sense levels. Generally though as long as your food expenses aren't way overboard (and your manager approves them) we're fine even if we have a beer or two with dinner.

My company has a similar policy to yours, but they also included a clause stating that they'd take into account general cost of living. Obviously a steak dinner in Birmingham and a steak dinner in Toronto will have a pretty big price difference, and that's ok. Alcohol is supposed to be only one drink per meal, but some departments have gotten away with way more than that like I posted about earlier. I think it just depends on who looks at the expense report, honestly.

Edit: My department is also not really consistent about how expense reports should be done. One manager says "YOU NEED ITEMIZED RECEIPTS OMG" and then another says "Why did you give me the itemized receipt?". I just play it safe and give itemized as often as possible.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Lyon posted:

In a similar vein, what is everyone else's food/alcohol policy?

Basically "don't be a dumbass". Receipts for anything over $50 and you're supposed to break out alcohol costs because that is applied to overhead rather than billed to the customer. Every once in a while they decide they aren't paying for alcohol but that rarely lasts for more than a few months.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

This will be the first year since 2007 I don't make Delta Plat or United Gold. I moved from a Minneapolis office of one to a Portland office of four, so I've been able to spread the travel around.

Part of me has been pretty happy to be home, and the other part is looking for excuses to run that next 16k miles I need to Platinum. Feel pretty broken. My wife gives me the "Don't you have somewhere to go?"-look after I've been home about 2 weeks straight.

I had to give up on hotel rewards, though. I just haven't been traveling to the kinds of places where chains are available or convenient. Cashed out as many as I could for gift cards or transferring to mileage plans.

I'm curious: how many of you have any desire to travel recreationally? I have zero. Last thing I want to do is fly somewhere, stay in a hotel, etc. Just want my free time spent at home. I use all my points flying friends and family out to me, and leaving 50k or so "banked" in case of an emergency.

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?

Lyon posted:

In a similar vein, what is everyone else's food/alcohol policy?

When I travel abroad, my company adheres to a standard set by the Norwegian government. This standard sets an amount that varies by country and some times by city, and governs what a state employee will be compensated, tax free, for meals each day of travel. Private companies can choose to follow this standard and many do.

The amounts can vary a great deal but are fairly generous. Examples are NOK 720 (USD 125) for the UK, NOK 950 (USD 195) for Sweden and NOK 350 (USD 60) for Kosovo. This is meant to cover any living expenses apart from boarding and if you are given a meal you have to deduct 10% for breakfast, 40% for lunch and 50% for dinner. This makes salads brought in by a well meaning host hilariously expensive.

Anyway, as this compensation is paid regardless of how much you eat, no receipts have to be collected, and with the compensation being this generous, you can make a fair bit of extra money from this, especially if you eat cheaply.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
For food/alcohol and misc I don't need to provide receipts, its given on a daily basis.

Food is further broken down into breakfast, lunch and dinner. If someone provides you a meal for free you need to strike it out of your expensive report, and a percentage of the per diem is subtracted with dinner weighted the heaviest.

Misc is supposed to be for tips and other things that are really difficult to get receipts for.

Food and Misc scale based on the type of city, cheap/mid/or expensive. I'm not sure which city is expensive, I've never gotten that classification despite being in some high cost cities.

Typically I claim 100% unless I got a free meal, I never check against receipts. $45 a day isn't that much when you are eating out all 3 meals (especially in like San Diego) so I figure the times I am under and the times I am over balance out.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

Lyon posted:

Our policy is no alcohol except for entertaining clients but our manager doesn't care if we order a drink with dinner or lunch. We aren't required to turn in itemized receipts, which is great cause otherwise we'd have to scan the itemized receipt plus the one showing the tip.

What drives me crazy is that it's impossible to get breakfast for $15 at any hotel I've stayed at. Usually it's more than that even without tax and tip. I usually just grab something simple at a coffee shop or deli but sometimes it's nice to have a proper breakfast.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Getting back to luggage real quick.

I was just about dead set on the Red Oxx Skytrain but then came across the Tom Bihn Aeronaut.

I've loved the Skytrain since I had a chance to get my hands on it at their store but from what I've read the Aeronaut is built almost as well and has what looks like a better layout with the end pockets and main compartment zipper placement.

Anybody here have any experience with Tom Bihn bags by chance?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Tom Bihn bags are great as well.

I don't like the backpack style bags personally, so if that's your thing then go for it.

Messenger bag for laptop + electronics, simple wheeled rollerboard for clothes. I'm set.

I also dress casual for work 100% of the time, so things like slacks/dress shoes/etc don't really matter to me. Most frequent travelers it does so I'm sure there are better solutions than this.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The travel gear thread has some information too:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3415334

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

sellouts posted:

I don't like the backpack style bags personally, so if that's your thing then go for it.

Messenger bag for laptop + electronics, simple wheeled rollerboard for clothes. I'm set.

I hate messenger bags for travel. I tend to have in my laptop bag my laptop (duh), a book or two, usually a pair of shoes (don't fit well in messenger bag), and my toiletries. This stuff starts to add up and if I have that drat strap digging into my neck for a few hours a day I start to get annoyed. This primarily happens on the actual travel days when I'm getting to the airport, going through security, wandering around the airport and then on the way to the hotel if it involves any large amount of walking which it often does because I like taking public transportation.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I don't know why toiletries or shoes would go in a messenger bag vs your carry on, but if you gotta roll that way maybe it's not for you. My travel configuration/dress is casual.

And if you put your toiletries into your messenger bag so you can easily get them out through security, I would highly recommend getting Pre-check qualified so this is a non issue most of the time. (I fly mostly trans-cons so I'm always at an airport with precheck, but they are expanding to secondary and tertiary markets...)

For strap comfort, the stock straps stink 99.9% of the time. Try something like this: http://www.tombihn.com/PROD/TB0505.html

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

sellouts posted:

I would highly recommend getting Pre-check qualified so this is a non issue most of the time.

Out of several hundred flights over the past few years I've had exactly one flight where I was able to take advantage of pre-check. It is in all the airports I connect through, but not at any of the airports where I have my first flight.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

I'm not sure about shoes but I could see keeping toiletries in a laptop/messenger bag if your carry on doesn't have a convenient pocket to keep them in.

That's actually why this debate popped up in my head. The Aeronat has two end pouches that would work great for toiletries where the Skytrain just has the large sections.

In my case, either one would likely do the job just fine. But as I'm sure folks in here are aware, every little bit of convenience counts and cutting just a little bit of time or effort makes frequent traveling that much less unpleasant.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Sorry, I don't think I was very clear before... I currently use this http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/q-backpack as my personal item. It was 50% off + free shipping so I bought it, I like the specific padded laptop section and extra space a backpack provides. Luckily I work in software as a trainer so I don't need something that is formal for business meetings.

I keep my laptop/electronics/chargers, any books I want for the trip, usually a pair of shoes, and my toiletries (for ease of getting them out going through security like you guessed). All that weight adds up and even when I just had laptop + books in a messenger bag it still aggravated me.

I'll look into pre-check, I fly out of PHL and I think it just started recently for select US Airways frequent flyers. Not sure what the requirements for participation are though.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 13, 2012

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

Lyon posted:

I'll look into pre-check, I fly out of PHL and I think it just started recently for select US Airways frequent flyers. Not sure what the requirements for participation are though.

You have two choices for PreCheck:

1) attain high enough status on an airline and be invite for only that airline. For delta it's Gold and up but not every elite has been invited.

2) Sign up for Nexus, Sentri, or Global Entry aka Trusted Traveler Programs. These are DHS programs that grant expedited entry into the US. Each one is specific to a Mexico, Canada, or Airport border control respectively. Though for the most part they are interchangeable and all grant access to PreCheck on all airlines too. Interviews for each are only given near cities where they can be utilized so if all you care about is PreCheck then just sign up for the program with an office near you. (I scheduled the interview for an airport I was flying to)

The requirements for trusted traveler programs are:
a) Pay $100
b) be a US citizen (I think Canadians may apply for global entry now too) and have proof (a passport) and another form of ID
c) No misdemeanors in past 5 years. Some traffic violations are misdemeanors, but you will likely be approved if you appeal the first denial.
d) Pass the background check.
e) Get fingerprinted.
f) Pass interview with DHS. (When asked if you are a terrorist, say "no".)

It takes a few weeks for your application to be approved and, depending on the city you want to interview in, 1 week - 2 months to schedule an interview. Once approved you are set for 5 years.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

size1one posted:

1) attain high enough status on an airline and be invite for only that airline. For delta it's Gold and up but not every elite has been invited.

2) Sign up for Nexus, Sentri, or Global Entry aka Trusted Traveler Programs. These are DHS programs that grant expedited entry into the US. Each one is specific to a Mexico, Canada, or Airport border control respectively. Though for the most part they are interchangeable and all grant access to PreCheck on all airlines too. Interviews for each are only given near cities where they can be utilized so if all you care about is PreCheck then just sign up for the program with an office near you. (I scheduled the interview for an airport I was flying to)

a) Pay $100
b) be a US citizen (I think Canadians may apply for global entry now too) and have proof (a passport) and another form of ID
c) No misdemeanors in past 5 years. Some traffic violations are misdemeanors, but you will likely be approved if you appeal the first denial.
e) Get fingerprinted.

It takes a few weeks for your application to be approved and, depending on the city you want to interview in, 1 week - 2 months to schedule an interview. Once approved you are set for 5 years.

PS all the interview cities are like in Canada or Detroit, Buffalo, and Seattle. Have fun!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

THat's for Nexus / Canadian crap.

Global Entry has enrollment centers nationwide: Atlanta area, ATL, BOS, Bowling Green area (lol), CLT, ORD, DFW, DEN, DTW, FLL, IAH, HNL, JFK, LAX, LAS, MIA, MSP, EWR, MCO, SFB (another Orlando airport...weird), PHL, PHX, SFO, SJU, SEA, IAD

Also if you have certain AMEX cards (Platinum and up I think), enrollment is reimbursed and at least in New York they'll have a separate interview area from time to time for only Amex cardholders, avoiding a trip to the airport.

My application went from entered, to approved, to interview, to accepted and ID issued in 5 days. It was remarkably efficient and I had notification on being accepted before I left the airport parking structure from the airport. Plus you get another government issued ID that you can use to confuse TSA agents nationwide!

For more info: http://www.globalentry.gov/enrollmentcenters2.html and for airports with Precheck http://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/files/assets/pdf/locationchart.pdf

sellouts fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 14, 2012

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I wouldn't waste the hundred bucks, myself. Precheck will survive right up until the first time one of the "trusted travelers" either brings on something they shouldn't or misbehaves while on board.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.
I want to hope that TSA dissolves before that. They are just the absolute worst.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Midjack posted:

I wouldn't waste the hundred bucks, myself. Precheck will survive right up until the first time one of the "trusted travelers" either brings on something they shouldn't or misbehaves while on board.

Meh. The stuff still gets X-rayed and you still go through a metal detector. Pre-check doesn't allow you to skip security. It just allows you to bypass the worst of the theater.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Thoguh posted:

Meh. The stuff still gets X-rayed and you still go through a metal detector. Pre-check doesn't allow you to skip security. It just allows you to bypass the worst of the theater.

Which part? Those are, uh, the only things I've ever had to do going through security. Is the US that different from Canada and Europe in that regard?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

We have the stupidass milliwave and backscatter X-rays instead of metal detectors everywhere now.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

size1one posted:

a) Pay $100
e) Get fingerprinted.

If you live in a city where you can do a NEXUS interview easily, get NEXUS. It's just $50 instead of $100, and will get you Global Entry for free because the US side of the background check is the same and they already have your fingerprints on file.

NEXUS is a little more versatile too because you can use it when transiting through Canada (as they make you clear customs even if just passing through). Suppose you're traveling to the US from Asia and have a stopover at YVR, as some folks often end up having to do - you can use NEXUS to zip through Canadian customs, then immediately use it again to go through US preclearance.

At least when I got my NEXUS pass, the interview was just for taking my fingerprints and iris scan. I think the only question they asked really was why I wanted the pass, and "I travel here every week" was a perfectly acceptable answer.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Midjack posted:

Do you mean like the flight attendant that brought a loaded gun through security? Because in reaction to this the US govt and the AOPA is continuing and expanding their known crewmember program which makes any security screening random and rare for known US crewmembers. As in people will be regularly getting through with no security beyond a cursory ID check if they work as crew on an airline.

Right now there is no indication of precheck ending and both it and similar programs are only expanding.

Also global entry rules when your flight is 10 min late and suddenly you're behind 3 flights worth of people in immigration.

PT6A posted:

Which part? Those are, uh, the only things I've ever had to do going through security. Is the US that different from Canada and Europe in that regard?

Precheck allows you to leave shoes belts jackets hats etc on, keys in pocket, put cell phone through metal detector, and leave laptops and liquids in the bag that goes through the X-ray.

It also bumps you to the front of the priority security line depending on the setup at each airport. I've gone from curb to admirals club in about 90 seconds at LAX. It's like pre 9/11 security.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Dec 14, 2012

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Midjack posted:

We have the stupidass milliwave and backscatter X-rays instead of metal detectors everywhere now.

And freedom gropes.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

EDIT: nevermind, I don't want to get into how I found that out.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 14, 2012

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Thoguh posted:

And freedom gropes.

I don't know about other folks but I enjoy my government mandated massage and hand job before every flight.

Nothing like a good rubdown before hopping on a plane.

I fly into Billings MT frequently and they're probably the worst about it. Every time I tell them I'm opting out I get a description of how safe the system is. Yeah, don't give a gently caress. Give me my rubdown.

I did see over on Flyer Talk that some folks are getting to go through a metal detector without a pat down by saying they have a medical problem with lifting their arms (surgery, old injury, etc.). Haven't tried it and don't care enough to but it may work until the TSA catches on.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TouchyMcFeely posted:

I don't know about other folks but I enjoy my government mandated massage and hand job before every flight.

Nothing like a good rubdown before hopping on a plane.

I fly into Billings MT frequently and they're probably the worst about it. Every time I tell them I'm opting out I get a description of how safe the system is. Yeah, don't give a gently caress. Give me my rubdown.

I think someone on another thread here suggested popping a Viagra half an hour before going to the airport and declining a security scan with a visible erection and a big smile.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

TouchyMcFeely posted:

I think its policy, because I get the same speil every single time I opt out. A few flights ago one of the TSA guys in Orange County wanted to have a conversation with me about why I was opting out while he was administrating the rubdown. That was awkward for everyone.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

I'll usually chat with the guy giving me the pat down a bit while it's going on. I'd love to give them a heap of poo poo but it really doesn't do any good. They can't change the policy but they can certainly ruin my day. The best I can do is ensure that there's an additional mark in their "number of opt outs" book every time I go through security.

Although the Viagra idea is hilarious.
"Sir, please stop touching me."
"Sorry, it's my boner. It happens everytime someone puts their head next to my crotch."

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

TouchyMcFeely posted:

I'll usually chat with the guy giving me the pat down a bit while it's going on. I'd love to give them a heap of poo poo but it really doesn't do any good. They can't change the policy but they can certainly ruin my day. The best I can do is ensure that there's an additional mark in their "number of opt outs" book every time I go through security.

That sums up my approach exactly. The TSA guys at my home airport all know me on sight by now and we chat about the weather or where I am headed that week. I don't gain anything by being a dick to them personally. I just don't particularly want to have a conversation with them about my feeling about the TSA in general.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 11, 2014

dexter
Jun 24, 2003

sellouts posted:

Precheck allows you to leave shoes belts jackets hats etc on, keys in pocket, put cell phone through metal detector, and leave laptops and liquids in the bag that goes through the X-ray.

It also bumps you to the front of the priority security line depending on the setup at each airport. I've gone from curb to admirals club in about 90 seconds at LAX. It's like pre 9/11 security.

It just needs to be at more airports (I'm looking at you, JFK.) I haven't had a chance to use precheck yet (NEXUS was stupid easy to sign up for except for driving to the Mexican border for the interview) but I've used the hell out of Clear. It sure makes you feel like an rear end in a top hat though while they're escorting you past 150 people at SFO Terminal 1 since there's no dedicated line.

Neither of these programs would help when flying out of my home airport. What's up commuter airport that doesn't even open security until 9:00am for a 9:12am flight.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

dexter posted:

Neither of these programs would help when flying out of my home airport. What's up commuter airport that doesn't even open security until 9:00am for a 9:12am flight.

Don't worry, it's not just commuter airports.

Ran into the same thing at SLC trying to catch a 6:15 flight. Security opened at 5:30 and there were something like 4 or 5 early 6am flights all trying to get through security at the same time. It was wonderful.

For folks who have signed up for Nexus or the like, what kind of wait time did you experience for the interview? I'm on the last step of choosing where to have my interview and I'll likely do it at either Denver or Seattle but I'm curious about how long I can expect to wait.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TouchyMcFeely posted:

Don't worry, it's not just commuter airports.

Ran into the same thing at SLC trying to catch a 6:15 flight. Security opened at 5:30 and there were something like 4 or 5 early 6am flights all trying to get through security at the same time. It was wonderful.

This happens with first flight of the day pretty much everywhere.

Security lines are a needless hang anyway; the airport operators know when the planes are leaving and how many people are supposed to be on each plane. They can estimate that people will be coming through security 60-120 minutes before that time. They can pass the anticipated loads to TSA, who can schedule the appropriate number of screeners to meet anticipated demand. The only time this would break would be if 100% of the screening lines were in use and they still weren't meeting demand; then it's time for more security stations and/or LET'S USE THE METAL DETECTORS! But no, let's have routine 45-minute waits at Dulles with 3/4 of the lines never in use.

The whole thing is as close to a completely known problem as you're likely to find in the real world and yet they still gently caress it up.

Edit for grammar.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Dec 17, 2012

Catchy Tuna
Dec 4, 2005

TouchyMcFeely posted:

For folks who have signed up for Nexus or the like, what kind of wait time did you experience for the interview? I'm on the last step of choosing where to have my interview and I'll likely do it at either Denver or Seattle but I'm curious about how long I can expect to wait.

Took me 3 months from application to interview for Nexus at a large hub. I hear the wait times are significantly smaller if you want to go really far out of your way, though. I've had coworkers wait up to 6 months to get one in Toronto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Looking at my options for Global Entry I have a few I can choose from, a couple even in airports or near where I head regularly anyhow.

There's actually one in the middle of nowhere Montana between Billings and Bozeman for some drat reason, just North of Wyoming.

Just found out I need to wait until I have my passport in hand before I can apply though so I'm going to have to wait for a bit anyway.

drat.