Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Here's the correlation: Harleys are extremely expensive toys with a lifestyle buyer, so not only do you buy the 20K bike but you buy 13K in accessories to customize the bike and you buy 4K in clothing and gear and then you go on Harley owners' trips and poo poo. In order to have a Harley, you have to have money. If you have money, you're probably traveling a lot for work, in which case you have status. If you're traveling for leisure, you can afford to pay first class, and most Harley owners are pretty big dudes who would pay for first.

This, amusingly enough, is one of the number one reasons I sold my harley. I got a relatively nice used cheap one and I couldn't stand the "culture" that came along with it.

As a heads up to anyone who wants to travel a lot, the best career path is something temporary and low paying which you can quit on a whim. Spend a year saving, take a year off and travel. Rinse, repeat. It's not glamourous, but you'll see more of the world than almost anyone else. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Out of curiosity, what are people's favorite/least favorite domestic/international airlines?

I love love love love love Alaska. I've had nothing but good experiences with them and a combination of legroom and service does it for me and I will fly them whenever I have the chance. I'm seriously not a fan of United or American about equally, when it comes to domestic.

Internationally, I'm really fond of partial to Lufthansa. Probably something to do with up-to-date plans and not having to go anywhere near Heathrow, which is just abysmal. Air Canada is utter crap for international due to poo poo service, astronomical fees, and no legroom.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Blut posted:

Do American customers just have lower expectations or whats the deal here? Going from someone like Emirates or Quantas (or even Virgin or B.A.) to United or Delta is unnecessarily painful for long haul flights. Do any of you with extensive international travel experience have any insight into why American airlines are so low quality?

Because they can get away with it. We're relatively isolated from international travel on this continent.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

Anyone else done a mileage run for status' sake?

Yep, mainly on Alaska and once on Air Canada. I have a friend who did a Seattle-Dubai mileage run where he got back on the same flight without staying in Dubai.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I need to do a Star Alliance mileage run soon and I'm finding it amusing how alien the concept is to people I know who don't fly a lot.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I'm visiting friends in Seattle the weekend after Thanksgiving partly so I can get the 3500 MQMs I need to be DL Silver again next year, since AA has pissed me off with delays the last couple trips.

Seattle pretty much is awesome and Seatac is a good airport. :)

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I'm about to lose my Star Alliance miles since I haven't done a segment recently enough (One World :argh:). Does anyone know if it has to be in the air, or if a qualifying hotel/rental car would count?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

At least with AirCanada (Aeroplan, but they're a star alliance member), buying a tank of gas at Esso was enough for me.

This is great news for me, since I'm with Air Canada as well. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Yeah, although they didn't have the TSA Pre-check line open on Sunday night.

Yeah, but when it's open it's nice. It used to be one of the worst airports in the U.S., so it could be worse.