Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KaiserBen
Aug 11, 2007

tbp posted:

Any recommendations for career paths for anyone that would be interested in doing this?

Commissioning engineer/technician. That's how I do it, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaiserBen
Aug 11, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

Anyone else done a mileage run for status' sake? I needed four segments at one point so I tried to find the cheapest possible routing I could get. Ended up going out on a Saturday morning and flew to Omaha by way of O'Hare.

I got off the plane in Omaha, bought a snack, and got right back in the boarding line. Locked in status and back home in time for dinner.

Yes, ended up finding a good fare to St. Thomas to make platinum on AA my first year of travel. drat fine place to go with absolutely zero plan on no notice (found fare on friday, departed saturday).

KaiserBen
Aug 11, 2007

sellouts posted:

Southwest is always as expensive with me, has more stops, the perks dont extend internationally, and the miles are useless for me. Also no tsa precheck.

But im of the theory of saving miles and booking $20k multi week and stop awards that I would not purchase in the first place. Getting award trips on little flights here and there just don't do it for me. Also system wide upgrades rule.

That's how to do it, IMO. I'm saving my miles for a pair of Oneworld around-the-world tickets; should have the miles this year. 330k AA miles for a $25k+ ticket isn't a bad deal.

KaiserBen
Aug 11, 2007

oxsnard posted:

I'm applying for a TWIC card next week as my company does dock/shipping business. Are there any travel related perks to having a TWIC? Does anybody know if I can use it in a priority line at the airport?

In my experience, it's useful to confuse the hell out of the TSA ID checkers, but nothing else.

KaiserBen
Aug 11, 2007
Looks like National matches Hertz status too: https://statusmatch.emeraldclub.com/index.cfm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaiserBen
Aug 11, 2007

oxsnard posted:

Then again if I lived on expense accounts in Ybor I'd probably become an alcoholic so maybe you shouldn't do it.

The longest I've spent in a hotel continuously was 3 weeks and it wasn't too bad. I image it'd get pretty old after a few weeks

I did 7 months in a Radisson Blu once. Even by the end of it, I'd happily go back there for breakfast. Still have ~3/4 million points, even after spending a week in Amsterdam and a few other reward stays around the US; Radisson also does rollover nights if you over-qualify for status, which is how I still have top-tier with them, 2 years after I've last paid for a stay at a Radisson.