Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Waroduce posted:

I take PTO to sit on my couch in my condo 3 blocks from my office and not answer emails and phone calls.

Thanks business travel for killing any general desire to travel when I'm off.

I take vacation time to work on my house. No desire to use any miles or points, especially lately.

Any good suggestions on a full sized (as big as you can check) suitcase or preferably rolling duffel for weekly use? I have an Eagle Creek Rolling duffel on its last legs that I kinda like that's lasted a few years and haven't decided if I'm going to get another or something different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

i fly airplanes posted:

My flight was canceled by American, and I just had an American phone agent try to tell me that rebooking is "voluntary" if I wanted different dates or have them re-accommodate me on another airline. gently caress American.

I've been flying other airlines lately due to not being able to get last minute flights on Delta and... it really sucks flying American. They pretty much spit on you when you get on the plane compared to what I'm used to, I don't think they ever blocked off the middle row, and I'm pretty sure they have the least legroom. Flying in general kinda sucks now compared to 6 months ago but it still beats driving 50 hour a week.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

sellouts posted:

If you’re doing a weekly hop how don’t you have basic status to do this anyways?

ONT is not a realistic choice for anyone downtown or west of downtown.

ONT is always really expensive for me, I always try to fly into SNA if I can. Better rental cars, I got a Yukon Denali 3 weeks in a row. I'd rather fly into SAN and drive than go through LAX.

One nice thing is I don't have to worry about keeping my status this year, unfortunately I was only a few nights away from hitting the top in two hotel chains last year and will be stuck at that level for probably another year and change at this point.

Do all car rental companies have garbage rewards programs or is there one that's actually decent?

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Delta still keeps a lot of seats empty to keep people spaced out, I'm pretty glad I picked them when I started all this.

edit: They still give you a wipe when you get on and there is a packet of hand sanitizer in the snack/water bottle bag. I got a bottle of hand sanitizer from clear last week too.

SpeedFreek fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 20, 2020

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Thoguh posted:

I haven't been a frequent traveler since 2017 and just lurk here anymore but seemed appropriate for this thread.

https://twitter.com/wogoat/status/1291600228974354432?s=20

poo poo, try states. Covered under essential thing for the most part but the customers still want to see recent negative test results before letting me work.

i think of demons posted:

first time in ATL since march and had a long layover- the giant food court in concourse E was closed. foot traffic was way down, but activity was still very high at B and C. there were tons of non-business travelers and the remaining restaurants were packed. they were seating people at tables with beer residue all over them, so they were clearly not wiping things down.

Stone Arch in MSP seemed to be doing at least a half decent job of cleaning up, last decent place to eat since they closed Axel's. : (

SpeedFreek fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Aug 11, 2020

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Gabriel S. posted:

For those that are still somehow flying are all the rental car companies giving out the best upgrades? At least for those of us with status?

Rental car upgrades? You can rent 40+ cars a year and avis will stick you in the smallest smokiest thing they can find, and they call midsize cars full size for some reason. If you're name isn't up on the board they look at you and if tall they will put you in some stupid ford that has no legroom (fusion) and claim its a full size when you inform them there is no room for my legs in their lovely, tiny, last renter was a chain smoker car.

No one answered my question earlier on if there is a better rental company, enterprise cars don't usually smell as much like smoke but they seem to be mostly lower optioned vehicles and hertz is usually expensive and currently going through issues.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I've only had good experiences with hertz, I did a status match a few years back and liked the whole picking my own car thing but I don't think they status match with that company anymore. Who will match with Delta, IHG, or Mariott currently?

I expense everything too but with the freedom to not have to use that horrible travel service that starts with a "c" and ends with an "ur" I have to be able to justify anything that's out of the ordinary.

Avis was better about upgrades a few years ago but the first car they would send me to almost always smelled like smoke.

edit: I can book whatever I want as long as I can justify it. Someone wanted to switch us all to the crap travel service mentioned above and we refused to use it, we also proved that it was way more expensive than booking direct.

SpeedFreek fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 17, 2020

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Midjack posted:

You can just say “Concur,” it’s not word filtered.

You underestimate how much I hate using them, I still have to use it for my expenses and once a month I am reminded of how awful it is to use. Delta is not train fare and home depot is not a currency exchange service, it gets the currency wrong on probably 1/5th of my transactions too.

I'm going to take a good look at National, whats their standard full size car if I cant status match my way to the pick your own option? I typically rent a full size, full size SUV, or pickup depending on where I am going and what I'm doing there, one nice thing about avis was the full size SUVs at SNA were all Denalis.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Motronic posted:

That doesn't make a lot of sense. They're the same other than suspension/axles and available in the same bed/cab configurations.

On the GMT400 platform I thought the only real difference was axles, springs, and brakes when going 2500-3500. The football field like turning radius only changed a little depending on 2wd or 4wd. Also short beds are worthless if you want to use it like a truck, at least in a burban you can fit 4x8 sheets and 12ft boards with the tailgate closed. Unfortunately the burban is still too tall to get to the best parking spots in the structure at MKE which has been nice and empty most of this year.

The other thing that the crap travel service did for us was not show all the hotels leaving you a hour away from your destination in the morning and only show about half the available flights that Delta had, the one person who used it got stuck on a lot of 5am flights and had a lot of 11pm arrivals. With a smaller company you get the flexibility to make better decisions about these kinds of things, its not like my last job where to save 5k a year they were blowing through 500k+ in rework.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Goober Peas posted:

Oddly enough, the last time I flew into Richmond I was offered a diesel Ford dually. I turned it down namely because part of the route I was running included DC and there was no way in hell I was going to find parking. And because it was excessive overkill for what I needed.

I hate that airport, the tsa lost their poo poo when they found the RTDs in my backpack. Driving anywhere in NOVA/DC area is an exercise in frustration and finding parking, also the wrong state to have them give you a Camaro SS with their speeding laws.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Mackieman posted:

This mirrors my American experiences and those of others I know who have flown American and Delta. United seems to be somewhere in the middle, which, in a way, is maintaining the status quo.

This is why I am so glad I picked Delta, other than letting those politicians from MN fly they have been on point and not loving around.

Last week the sky club in the middle of A terminal at DTW looked as full as normal but I think thats because all the other ones are still closed, the one at MKE is still closed. : [

On a different note I tried renting from National last week at BTV and it was the same experience as Avis, they tried putting me in a "full size" which means mid size and when I got a slightly larger car (impala) it smelled like smoke still. At least it was nice enough out that I could drive with the windows down the whole time.

I also saw the former sheriff on the fast park shuttle not wearing a mask most of the ride, I figure if I would have said something I'd end up like the guy he had taken off the plane when it landed in MKE a few years back.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Cacafuego posted:

Today, I had to book a trip to Peoria, IL for next week and couldn’t book a rental car getting into PIA at the “odd hour” of 8pm on a Monday.

So I’m going to fly into Chicago, stay the night, drive to Peoria for 3 hours, then drive back to Chicago and fly out the next morning.

Also, flying into MSY yesterday, hertz had 3 cars in the president’s circle - a minivan (nope), a veloster that reeked of weed (nah) and a Ford Fiesta with >30k miles. Hertz had fallen hard. I still get 1000 United miles per rental though, so :shrug:

E: the hotel I’m in this week in Metairie, LA has no cable tv, and the restaurant is closed because the windows got blown out due to the hurricane last week.

I flew into MSY the day before you and the charger Enterprise tried to give me smelled like the guy who drove it up just finished a blunt in the thing. Must be a regional thing.

And car rentals are just as expensive as ever and harder to find, based on the 30-40 people on my recent short haul CRJ-900 flights I'm guessing there is more driving going on.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I looked at the comments...

How did wokeness cause this?

It did make my flight home this week cost about 5x what it normally would, I think I got the second to last seat on the plane.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Beef Of Ages posted:

There's your trouble.

I usually don't but sometimes you have to remind yourself why.

Looks like I'm going to be around $200 short of diamond, I'm not sure I'll be able to find a cheap quick flight in the next two days.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
There's a Peruvian chicken place around there that's awesome, it's been a while since I've been in the area though. The food gets better the closer you get to DC in my experience.

Edit: I gave myself a sinus infection and thought my head was going to explode twice yesterday, guess I get to look like a tweaker when I go to ask for the good decongestant before flying home.

SpeedFreek fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 11, 2023

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I've cut way, way back on my lounge and plane drinking and I'm gonna be honest: my life is a lot better for it.

Same but sometimes I want to be able to sleep on the plane.

I finally got Avis to drop the charges for refusing to drive on tires with cords showing. I'll have to be pretty desperate before renting from them again.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Lyon posted:

It's rare I get drunk in lounges/on planes but I'll grab a glass of wine or two sometimes. I do really like having the option though.

Has anyone ever asked AA, and had success, to start counting trips/mileage to next year's status window? Essentially asking for rollover similar to what Delta offers (offered?). I have a last minute trip to Poland coming up and there's almost zero chance I'll hit exec plat by the end of February.

I have 193k mqms already with Delta, I'm pretty sure they're still doing rollover.

It's rare for me to drink on planes now but after a bad week all bets are off. I still can't figure out how to sleep on a plane without help, or in general for that matter. I will totally have a beer with dinner if I'm at Stone Arch in MSP though.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Where does killing a sixer of a DIPA while playing starcraft in your hotel room fit in on this spectrum, provided you're not hosed up from it.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Last time I had a really tight one at, Bxx to A1 or something, I was getting ready to run it and there was a lady outside the plane to drive me to my next gate. LGA is still the worst in my experience, MSP is only bad if one flight involves the G gates.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Cacafuego posted:

Hertz tried to give me a Tesla. I couldn’t figure out how to get it out of park. I went back and got a dodge challenger.

Turned down the Tesla more than once but mostly due to range anxiety, I also like to be able to operate things without having to take my eyes off the road.

That's what you get for renting from Avis, they're still trying to charge me for the tires that had the cords showing. By the way, what can I do with 30k Avis points that doesn't involve renting their poo poo heaps.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
"Sir, your bag is overweight."

I move it over to the other scale and suddenly it's not. $300 short of hitting diamond, I have a feeling flying is going to suck this year.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I managed to get a passport in 5 hours. Flew to MSP and went to the passport office with all my info and paperwork, later that day I made my flight to Toronto. I think this was in 2017.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I'd like to remind everyone of the danger of low shower heads, please attempt at least 6 hours of sleep before showering. With luck my forehead will not look significantly worse with my new scar.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
When I've called Delta asking if I can get on an earlier flight they managed to keep my upgrade more than once. Then there's my flight home out of ABE last week where comfort+ was almost empty and the GA didn't upgrade anybody.

You'd think that if someone paid for the ticket they'd be put at the top of the list for the class they paid for.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
How would you expense a flight you booked with miles because you didn't want to take a bus to Newark and sleep in an airport overnight? Or for other reasons that don't involve being 1099 or the owner of the business?

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I had the opportunity to get home that day, not get reimbursed, or take a bus to new Jersey and still not get a weekend. I wasn't about to spend part of my birthday sleeping in DFW.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
For some reasons getting into DFW at midnight and a connecting flight at 5am is considered a layover. I could have probably expensed that flight and said lick my balls and been fine but didn't feel like fighting that battle at that time. I probably should have.

However if anyone knows someone looking for an engineer/field guy I'd be interested.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I've never seen an overnight layover when searching Delta, United and American seem to consider that acceptable. Might be a setting I checked when setting up my sky miles account way back.

I had the same situation this week, ABE to MKE. Delta was $50 over what's considered acceptable so with hotel, dinner, and baggage fees it ended up costing a little more flying American but the important part was the flight itself cost less.

Would be nice if there was some decent rail service from PIT or PHL to central PA.

Edit: I'm at ORD right now, where's the walkway?

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
It was ABE or MDT, I was working at about the half way point between the two. Have a lot of work in PA in general lately, most of the customers are electrical utilities.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Why do you need to fill in your god damned phone number and email address at every loving ihg hotel at check in? I booked through my account or using the app, good luck reading my carpal tunnel handwriting.

You're lucky I can remember the make and model of my rental.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Is it possible to get GE by July if I were to apply now?

I should really get pre check one of these days too but I'm kinda dumb. Only 300k from million miler.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
What's changed for international travel since 2019? I'll be headed to Germany again later this year if I don't find a new job by then.

I'm no longer diamond and had 8 GUCs expire the beginning of this year, flying comfortably probably won't happen. Does the reserve amex get you into partner lounges?

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

sit quietly like a normal person and read or something

Without music to drown out the outside world or the hundredth time you were told how to put on a seatbelt this year?

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Cacafuego posted:

Why am I getting a travel advisory for CLT for tomorrow? AA shows all the east coast airports under a travel advisory as well as DFW, but I don’t see much weather? Am I missing something?

I'm flying home through DTW today and since last night about a dozen emails and texts came in about the weather in Atlanta.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Sometimes the line is shorter?

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

i fly airplanes posted:

Getting PTSD flashbacks from what Etihad made me check my carry-on because it past their stupid 8kg limit, predictably losing it, and then me showing up in Singapore with absolutely no clothes.

Then they gave us $50 SGD at the airport and I was a moron (forgive me, I was young) to take the cash which meant I could not get reimbursed for any clothing purchases. That is such an incredibly predatory practice by airlines.

8kg?!? My backpack is probably twice that.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Beef Of Ages posted:

Some airlines, like United, also have bag delivery services: https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/baggage/deliver-your-bags.html

What are you talking about, Delta delivers my bags for free (when they don't make it on my connection). I actually like it when that happens on my way home so I can skip baggage claim.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Beef Of Ages posted:

Congrats on 35k in spend. No way I'm hitting anything above Silver in this program which makes it not worth it. Also getting rid of the DL Amex I used for the 25k spend MQD waiver and probably Amex plat as well since access to the SkyClub was a big part of the value prop there. If they wanted less elites, this will do it. And the lounges that seat 250 people will have 40 people in them looking around at each other. Such is life.

They're simplifying skymiles, sure. The new choice benefits are probably going to get worse too. A few of us at work came to the conclusion that we're not hitting diamond for 2025 or ever again.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
ATL almost always has lines outside on Mondays, some terminals always have a line. MKE was always busy Monday mornings but almost empty later in the week, only saw lines a few times at DTW

I have almost 300k mqms, just can't seem to hit that card spending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I split my stays between ihg and Marriott brands, they're everywhere. Usually hit 75 nights with both and upgrades are rare.