Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Is there a way to pack a suit in a carry-on roller and not have it come out looking like poo poo?

Ever had a hard time taking razor blades in a carry on? I never tried it, but then I never travelled more than a day out with just carry on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Thoguh posted:

Doesn't that end up taking up a huge portion of your luggage space? I travel 1-2 weeks a month for work and usually have my work laptop, kindle fire, my phone, & an iPod and by the time I get all the cords and stuff even that is starting to take up an appreciable amount of room. I would ditch the iPod but my phone battery can't handle being used for several hours of music on a long flight without draining.

Get a bigger bag? My laptop bag fits my laptop with the wiring and kindle, along with the chargers and a small umbrella, and I still have plenty of space for files, magazines and all sorts of poo poo.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

We forgot :911:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

At least with AirCanada (Aeroplan, but they're a star alliance member), buying a tank of gas at Esso was enough for me.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

For some reason the miles I get from buying gas clear faster than the miles I get from flying :iiam:

Seriously, I flew to city A for a meeting, flew two segments to get to city B, rented a car and drove to C, drove back to B the next night, fueled the rental and swiped my Aeroplan card as I did, then flew home...

I checked my account that night, the gas and rental car miles were in there but not the flights. I don't see how that makes sense.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I'll trade your regional jets for DASH-8 and Q400 any day of the week.

I don't even do that much travel, but drat, I hate those things.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Belldandy posted:

Oh they're not that bad, especially the Q400.

You've never had a four hour flight in one, have you? Admittedly that was a DASH-8, and we landed a few times to pick up and drop off people, but drat did I hate my life that day. (Only had to do that once, thank God. I don't fly enough to be bitching in this thread, really)

They're a hell of a lot better than the Air Canada Express Beechcrafts 1900D, I'll give you that.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Belldandy posted:

I sure have, a Porter Air flight out of YTZ, so at least it had good food and booze.

Porter's planes are Q400 set for 70 seats instead of 78. Also it's Porter, where they have things like service and food. My funtime 3.5 hour flight (preceded by a different two hours Dash-8 flight) was in a Dash-8-100, the 37 seater.

On of those mofos:

God I hate those things.

That said, I'll take a Porter Q400 over an Air Canada anything any day of the week. drat I love Porter, it's the best thing ever if you have anything to do in downtown Toronto.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

My plane landed in a snowstorm bad enough that I didn't see the ground before the wheels hit the runway. Get into the terminal, half the flights are cancelled and most of the ones that aren't are delayed.

So, so glad I took the direct flight home instead of bouncing through YUL or YYZ for the extra segment.

Anybody get stranded by the HellStorm?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I hit status on Via Rail (which isn't as lame as it sounds, their point redemption rates are pretty decent) but I don't think I'll hit anything decent airline wise; too many deep discount segments, and they're all short hops. I should probably leave this thread in shame.

I do have a three Dash segment day coming up, though :unsmith:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Pixelboy posted:

Just had a NEXUS interview where I got yelled at for failing to disclose the company housing I stayed in for 4 days as a "previous address" when I was transferred to the US in 2012.

In the end, they gave me the damned card.

Best $50 I'm probably going to spend for traveling over the next 5 years.

Ah goddamn it, this made me double check the application I filled the other day and I hosed up the adresses hardcore. Like forgot two places I lived, including one in China... And the government knows about that from a background check I had to apply for last year. This is not gonna go well. Is there a way to withdraw an application?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Yeah. It was never my main address, but t's going to show up depending on where they check because it's on the application for the security clearance I got last year. I've had so many background checks and what not over the last ten years, the computer probably lights up like a slot machine when they type my name.

I checked the GOES FAQ (That whole site is a blast from the 1990's), it has this:

quote:

I have submitted my application for review. How do I correct a mistake?

You will not be able to make any changes while your application is being processed. If you need to make a correction, you can do it at the time of the interview.

So yeah, we'll see what happens.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Business class train is, by far, my favorite way to travel. It's like sitting in my living room with food, booze, wii-fi, cell phone signal and uh...

What else do you need?

Oh yeah it's slower than flying, but there's at least one trip I do often where it's shorter to take the train when you account for the drive to and from the airport and security. Although I expect Canadian trains to start doing security stuff shortly...

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

melon cat posted:

I just wanted to backtrack to the Nexus Card application conversation you were all having a few pages back. I saw some helpful info, but a lot of it seems to be more applicable to U.S. citizens applying for the card. Are there any Canadians who could weigh in on the Nexus card application process? Is it worthwhile if you travel to the U.S. at least once a year? I just came back from the airport today and the line-up for customs was painfully-long...

It's the exact same process, you have to use the US site to apply. (https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/main/goes)

For $50, it seems worth it to me to skip the security line, but if you only travel once a year... Meh.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Woo, scheduled my Nexus interview!

...first available spot is in late August. :drat:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Late July slot, wooo!

I'll keep checking, thanks for the tip.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Mackieman posted:

I'm sure there are good travel agents out there; I've just never met one.

The last one I've dealt with needed upward of eight hours to book a YOW - YYZ flight. Granted it was a Sunday and I'd called the emergency number, but... YOW - YYZ. There are something like 20-30 flights every day.

That being said I dealt with one to organize a vacation and they managed to only gently caress up one minor thing so, you know, not bad.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Nexus interview report: showed up fifteen minutes early, walked out of the airport two minutes after my interview was scheduled to start. Spent most of the time shooting the poo poo with the CBP guy.

My boss was all "Why do you need a Nexus card, you almost never go to the states." :laugh:

On the other hand I only traveled about 12 segments this year to date so she might have a point. Expecting to have a few longer flights coming up though, I have a project ramping up.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Have you tried having your limit increased?

We have corporate credit cards that we have to put everything on. My precious points! :qq:

Haven't travelled since the last week of June. Almost had a trip to the states next week, but it was deemed unnecessary after some last minute back and forth. I think the budget is becoming stretched.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Xandu posted:

The cheapest flights I could find (we have to use the company's travel service) is like 6000, plus 10 days or so of hotels, so it'd be a fairly large limit increase.

I can deal with it, I'm just curious if most people are expected to float that much money regularly when traveling.

gently caress that noise. Any way the travel service can charge some of it to the company's account? My last employer would do that with flights; I never even knew how much they cost... And sometimes with hotel if you were in a bind (We rarely stayed in hotels at all, and it was a night at the most if then).

The most I've had to float was about a grand I guess.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The best thing for expat contracts would be to check in the thread(s) for the place you're looking at; I imagine contracts in Dubai or Indonesia or the UK would be wildly different.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Morby posted:

So we had a sudden death in the family, had to buy an emergency airline ticket for another family member and I haven't flown without status for a long time. With the price of your ticket, that DOES include one free checked bag, one carry on, and one personal item (i.e. purse) right? I'm questioning myself.

Depends on the airline.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Midjack posted:

It's no trick at all to bring more stuff through the TSA horseshit than the gate will let you actually carry onto the airplane, though the gate staff will sometimes try to charge you for the checked bag at that point. Depending on your feelings toward haggling you can get that fee waived. It's worth the twentyfivebux to me not to do that but the option is there if you want that real cheapskate thrill.

It's all the inconvenience of carry-on (Have to meet TSA standards, get your bag searched because the scanner dude has never seen a metal shirt collar stay) and all the inconvenience of checking your bags (Have to wait at the carrousel, bag might get damaged or lost, have to wait forever at the drat carrousel, also you have to wait for the bag to come out at the carrousel)

But hey, $25 bucks. Just carry on.

(That being said, gate checking is the best idea when it's your last flight that day and it's loving packed with business travellers who are going to fill up the bins before your row gets called. Don't be the rear end who has to walk the entire plane three time trying to find a spot in the bin.)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

GregNorc posted:

What would you do if you had to spend your own money - get a hotel and catch a shuttle? One way rental? Taxi?

If you can't get someone to pick you up, check what the cheapest airport lot will charge. At least for me, if I'm gone less than 6 days, it's cheaper to park in the multi-level lot than to take a cab home. The outdoor lot is probably even cheaper.

(In practice I usually bum a ride from someone or take the bus, but when I'm gone overnight or back in a day on business, I just drive and park there.)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Flying during snowbird season is just amazing. There's a woman with a yoga mat strapped sideways on her carry on, and two five years old with more carry-on than me - and I'm packed for five nights.

Thank god for the Nexus card, though. Probably save me 45 minutes at security. Thanks for letting me know about that trick, thread.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The usefulness of status is proportional to how much you fly; if you have to go out of your way to hit status... It kind of defeats the purpose.

I'm not talking about throwing in an extra segment here or there or doing a mileage run to hit ultra mega gold instead of just ultra gold or whatever, but if you have to double how many planes you're taking, you're going to hit diminishing returns really fast.

Plus every time you transfer, you increase the chance of your luggage getting lost, which for some reason pisses me off five times as much when it's personnal travel.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Depends on your company's travel policy. In my experience, it's unlikely that you'll get anyone to spring for premium economy for domestic travel, but what do I know.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

TheLizard posted:

I just want to give a big old F You to any airport that doesn't have free wifi.

Yeah, I'm looking at you, ATL.

Also: Half or more of the airports in Canada.

It's 2014, loving McDonald's has free wifi.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Is 55 minutes enough to change from a UA flight from Canada to a UA flight to Houston in ORD?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Mackieman posted:

Usually. You'll clear customs and immigration in Canada so you arrive at ORD as a domestic flight.

I'm still a bit nervous about that trip. I have 55 minutes in ORD to change, then an hour in IAH to switch to an international flight. It's all UA and the terminal at IAH looks pretty straightforward but... How likely am I to make it?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

sellouts posted:

Look up on time stats for your flights or look on flightaware. That's the best way to tell

Looks like about 55% on-time for both the tight flights. Guess I'd better look into making some changes to earlier flights.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Today is a good day.

Although I flew United recently and didn't get pre-check for whatever reason so there might be something wrong with my file. Global Entry is still loving awesome though.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I'll have to double check whether my middle name is on my Nexus card; it's not on my password and I never use it.

My name's long and foreign anyway, it gets hosed up every single time for some reason.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I have a Global Entry interview on the 7th. Can anyone give a quick rundown of that process? I scheduled it in ORD since BOS was booked up through August :wtc:

My Nexus interview took up like half an hour, mostly because I spent twenty-five minutes shooting the poo poo with the CBP agent about custom clearance procedure for cruise ships and fishing boats, and the comparative experiences of getting searched by German, American, Russian and Canadian customs. It was a slow day.

Didn't watch a video, but yeah, confirm the information on the form, fingerprints, picture, retinal scan. I don't think you need the retinal scan unless you're getting Nexus.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Uncle Jam posted:

There is a tiny dock where a ferry docks after coming across Lake St. Clair from Canada, and there is a solitary customs official who sits in this shack waiting for it to arrive. Its funny to drive by it cause you can't look at it without comparing it to the airport holding areas.

My favorite custom office was the guy in Ohio who wouldn't come on the ship because he deemed the gangway unsafe, so he had all 25 crewmembers come off the ship (Using the same gangway that was so unsafe) to go up to his car window and get checked. In the rain.

Back on topic, if you travel more than five times a year and don't have Global Entry / Nexus / Pre-Check you're doing it wrong.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Keep going back every few days to change your appointment, eventually something closer will open. My first appointment was six months out, then four, then three, then next month, then the week after. So maybe a month and a half after I got the "please schedule an appointment" notice.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Shbobdb posted:

It depends on where you are going in Canada. Vancouver? They don't care. Ottawa, oh yeah. They care. They really really care.

I'm not sure what you mean, but I've flown in and out of Ottawa dozens of time (Heading to the US and to other places in Canada) and they're pretty laid back. Except the CBP guys when you're flying to the US, they're bored as gently caress and have too much time on their hand.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Also check that the headlights are on and working; I got pulled over two blocks from the airport once. Couldn't figure out how to get them to go on, returned car, got an upgrade :getin:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I'm especially annoyed by hotels that charge for the internet, it just seems petty. "That'll be $250 for the room, and uh... If you want the internet, it's going to be $8."

I'll tether if I'm not roaming, just on principle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Thoguh posted:

And the more expensive the hotel is the more likely they charge for internet. The cheaper the hotel is the more likely they offer free internet in my experience. Airports are similar. Small airports tend to have free internet. Big hubs want you to pay for it.

However, I don't really care because I can expense internet costs at the hotel. Which, I assume, is what they are counting on when they charge for it.

I ended up stuck at YQG a while back, and they charged for internet.

The only store or concession the terminal has is a snack counter (Overpriced as poo poo) and a free coffee machine for when the snack counter closes at, like, 5. As far as airports go, that one didn't impress me.