Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I actually notice that at my airline's club, the staff react differently to me depending on how I'm dressed. However, I'm also young, and look even younger, so I think this has something to do with it.

I'm in the approximately 100,000 flown miles per year territory. Mostly domestic and Canada.

One key perk with airline status is dedicated phone staff. I can call my airline, get a live person on the phone nearly instantly, and they'll help me out with any issues. This includes in situations (Sandy, etc) where everyone is calling in to change flights. I can call in and get my poo poo fixed, get early availability and get upgraded for my trouble. That's probably the best feature.

The other nice thing with status is that you are eligible for TSA Pre-Check. This allows you to leave your shoes and belt on, and your laptop in your bag. You also get a dedicated TSA Pre-Check lane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Thoguh posted:

One thing I've noticed about the clothes thing: Anybody wearing a Harley Davidson t-shirt is probably going to be in first class. I'm not sure what the correlation is, but I've traveled fairly extensively for the past few years (all domestic) and it never fails.

Here's the correlation: Harleys are extremely expensive toys with a lifestyle buyer, so not only do you buy the 20K bike but you buy 13K in accessories to customize the bike and you buy 4K in clothing and gear and then you go on Harley owners' trips and poo poo. In order to have a Harley, you have to have money. If you have money, you're probably traveling a lot for work, in which case you have status. If you're traveling for leisure, you can afford to pay first class, and most Harley owners are pretty big dudes who would pay for first.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Yeah, all the perks just serve to make the whole thing less miserable. It's not like you stay at the same level of personal comfort and then you have all this cool stuff too. It's to bring you back up to par.

i am one of those sick fuckers who really enjoys the travel part though. if i'm in the office for a full week i go insane.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I found that you have to be really, really in to planning out every single loving thing that you do like six or seven moves in advance, or you get really stressed.

The handle on my Hartmann hard carryon suitcase broke this morning. :( I have a little travelpro crew series garment bag which I like, so maybe I'll get the roller in the same series. The Crew has all sorts of dumbass pockets I don't use, though. Any other suggestions? The Red Oxx bags don't really match my required appearance, unfortunately.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Your girlfriend/boyfriend will absolutely hate it, to add to what Uncle Jam said.

My expense process is super easy with very few restrictions other than basically "don't be an idiot" so that's quite nice.

What's everyone's favorite rental car company?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Alaska is great. I fly a lot of Delta because I have status with them and they have a very good international network for the times when I want to travel internationally for fun.

I have used JetBlue a lot in the past for domestic, but I moved and they're not a major presence at my home airport anymore.

I don't hate US Airways but that's more of a suck it up because I'm forced to use them for a lot of things type deal.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

One of my colleagues did a Bar Harbor, ME to Boston one way mileage run for his last remaining segment.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

National is fun to fly in to. Sit A side window and hope you get the River Visual approach. Great view of the Mall.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

No, nobody gives a gently caress anymore.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

1. There are still a lot of signs but they also just assume that since the rules have been the same for the last five years that you don't need a reminder.

2. educate yoself http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items

3. Hate to be like this, but you're the guy everyone hates because he is all They Care About Liquids Still blurghablur and holds up the security lines because I Didn't Know!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Thursday night is when the Diamond Medallion guys come out to play in my experience.

I've been 26th on the upgrade list on a 757-200 as a Platinum Medallion.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Urbanspoon is the business.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The other thing is, I find it pretty dumb to do two segments versus one to just increase time, inconvenience and whatnot for status.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

TouchyMcFeely posted:

It also depends on how frequently you're having to do a mileage/segment run.

I'll likely have to do a SLC to DEN run to maintain status. It will cost around $300 and take about 5 hours including travel to and from the airport. Really not that big of deal.

On the other hand if I were having to do that same run 2 or 3 times it wouldn't be worth the time and effort.

Additionally depending on where you're headed, traveling for 9 hours directly or 12 hours with a layover is not that much different. In fact taking the layover might be better as you get a chance to get off the plane and stretch your legs a bit somewhere in the middle.

Obviously there are folks who play the status game really hard and do everything they can to maximize their earnings but I can't say I've noticed anyone on here doing that.

I'd rather just buy up in that case. Delta lets you buy MQMs at the end of the year. Or there's a promo on SkyClub for 1500 MQMs. I'd rather do either of those than a mileage run in a CRJ7.

My employer's really flexible, and the things you mention do make a difference, but I hit plat on Delta this year despite running a lot of other segments (probably 25 not on SkyTeam). If you're making an effort to maintain Silver, in my opinion, you're not traveling enough for it to matter.

While we're on the subject of Delta, gently caress THE NEW DELTA.COM.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Non-Q Dash-8s are pretty bad, but the Q400 is nice as all hell.

Porter rules hard core.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

You'd have to stay in Ontario and points east, though.

Unfortunately in my new location I can't access Porter anymore (North Carolina).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Midjack posted:

Oh poo poo. USAir?

gently caress no, skyteam 4 lyfe

I'm at a smaller regional airport so no matter what my first segment is to a hub.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

When they exist, they frequently don't work. I have a Lenovo with a six-hour battery; in reality, I probably get about five hours to a charge. There is no case in which I need to work for more than that on the plane.

Preemptively charge everything. I also use the SkyClub since there are tons of outlets.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Just found this thread again. I hit DM on Delta last year in like eight months or something, but this year my schedule/responsibilities have changed a bit so I have no idea where I end up. The new system-wide upgrade system for Delta is a hell of a lot better than the old SWUs which had the worst fare class restrictions on earth.

Does anyone know anything about AA's status match program if any? Considering making the jump.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Belldandy posted:

Call up their customer service, you have a great shot as a DM. They were being very aggressive in going after 1Ks on United last year.

Cool, I'll give it a shot. I've heard that they only match to Platinum, not EXP, which would probably be a deal-breaker for me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

sellouts posted:

I was there 5 weeks ago, this couldn't be more incorrect. With or without express immigration it took 5 minutes. Exiting took even less. The worst part was the women's taxi (not misogynistic, just the worst taxi experience I've ever had by a mile. She couldn't find the burj khalifa, it's the tallest thing in the desert. )

Also if it's bedtime in your head is it the best idea to sleep? Won't that prolong your jet lag?

The EXP match is all but impossible. There were some reports of them doing it last year for the first time but I'm not sure of the requirements. It's maybe worth a call. If you've got paid J or F I would make sure to mention that.

I feel like if I hit DM in 8 months EXP shouldn't be too hard, yes? EXP is 100K flown miles, DM is 125K. Am I missing something?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sky Priority is sort of useful. I would pay say, $100 for FlyingBlue silver. But if you're only doing ten segments a year, why bother?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I spent about 45 minutes in security at Logan Terminal A this morning. I need precheck really badly and the TSA won't tell me why I don't get it. Global Entry here we come! Precheck line wait was still about 15 minutes though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Small White Dragon posted:

There aren't a lot of impressive lounges in the US in general, IMHO. That said, I thought "The Club at ATL" was pretty nice, though.

The new Delta SkyClubs at JFK and ATL are really nice.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

The big ones, at least. There's a couple broom-closet ones that aren't terribly impressive.

I like the one at MIA more than either AAdmiral's Club here.

Oh yeah there's one in Terminal B that is awful. But the newly renovated ones are nice.

Also, RDU was running a pilot of new food options for SkyClubs when I dropped in earlier this week. Pretty decent sandwiches and some nice chocolates. Nice to know that the giant price increase at least has some benefits.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I don't mind the free drinks but I'm definitely doing it to get out of the raging hellhole that is the gate area.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

At least RDU is a nice physical terminal.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I feel like most cities are OK to be stuck in on someone else's dime. I probably wouldn't go to the Twin Cities on my own dollar, but on the company's, an extra day wasn't bad.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

So apparently Delta is finally moving to spend-based mileage earning.

Edit: delta.com/skymiles2015

This isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Really, status is the only thing that matters and that's unchanged from 2014's program. Based on my mileage earning last year, I'll lose about 25% of my non-MQMs. I can live with that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Because I don't give a gently caress about regular miles. I always have way more than I ever use. All I care about are changes to the Medallion program.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Hello my frequent business travel brethren! I will have to travel to Australia once, maybe twice, this year from the East coast of the USA. These trips will be business class. Does anyone have any particular feedback on specific airlines' business class cabins? Most interested in the Gulf carriers, Qantas and Virgin Australia.

Also, any advice on going East or West? I'm getting options to do both, some two-hops and some three in both directions. I think the advantage to going East is that I could take one of the Gulf carriers on a two hop, but the layovers and times seem pretty brutal for the most part.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

In my experience, going west is always easier. If you can handle it, I would say just take the nonstop.

There isn't one from BOS, or else I'd just do that. Regardless, I'm stopping somewhere.

Thanks for the input, y'all.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I would base your decision on where you typically have to travel to, unless you're going to use IAH/DFW, in which case you should do either UA or AA. Southwest is a decent option.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

poo poo, just get UAL's credit card. If I were your size, I'd be all over that.

I can't even imagine. The rare occasions when I don't get Economy Comfort I feel like I'm eating my knees, and I'm 5'10.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

On the window seat in CRJs, I just wedge my knee up using the sill under the window. gently caress you guy for leaning back your seat in a CRJ2.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Yeah, I think end of 2015 they say they will have cut the number of CRJ2s to 150 or fewer. :getin:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Thoguh posted:

CRJs would be awesome if the only people that ever flew were children and petite women.

CRJ2s would be awesome if they were all melted down for scrap.

The NextGens are pretty nice, though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Upper for the novelty, or the very front of the nose.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The only time I hate frequent travel is times like this, where I am sick with a cold waiting in Phoenix for a red-eye.

edit: no sky club either got dang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Pissingintowind posted:

Posting ITT from in-flight WiFi on a UA 744 (SFO -> HKG). Very impressed so far. Getting about 3-6 megabit downloads on speed tests. Kind of insulting that it isn't free with an F or J fare though...

Hey, what did it run you for that flight?