Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vortex Street
Oct 23, 2010

I walked right out of the machinery

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

While we're on the subject of Delta, gently caress THE NEW DELTA.COM.

Amen. If I want to change a seat, please show me the whole damned airplane as I am not necessarily using the typical criteria to choose that seat. And thanks for the added clicks to accomplish anything.

To chime in with some Tell, I have traveled for work for more than 15 years, but have only recently been able to attain status on AA and Delta due to the policies my employer has for choosing flights/airlines, recently increased travel requirements from my employer, and the unpredictable travel locations to which I am sent. My job entails project management for several computing centers in the US and I travel 2-4 times a month for 3-5 days a week.

The Bad:
Personal life: ha, I used to have one, it flew away. Friends reintroduce themselves when they see me and ask me if I remember how to get home. A significant portion of our conversations consists of "I just don't see how you can do all that traveling, blah blah," and boy that never gets old. I miss out on the fun plans back at home and some of my groups of friends have just stopped inviting me to things, which is hurtful. Then again it's nice to sometimes stay in and not have to keep a cheery face on when I'm home; I've grown quite possessive of my free time.

There are several season theatre tickets I bought that will have to be given to other friends to be used at all. My yard mocks me and my schedule aligns with the trash pick-up maybe once a month. I no longer buy produce. My nephew thinks I live in a suitcase. Dating? Oh please. Those are things you should weigh carefully as you advance through your career. Survivable when you're young, weeds out a lot of people as they start to settle into relationships and families.

Clearly the grind can wear you down--but after being home for more than two to three weeks I ache for the change travel brings and get annoyed with the sameness of my physical office (also ache to punch my Muppet-like coworker who always sticks his head in my office after I return to yell, "HOWDY STRANGER HOW YA BEEN I FORGOT WHAT YOU LOOKED LIKE ARE YA TIRED OMG!!").

It does help that colleagues from other locations are often traveling to the same destinations and there are familiar faces to have dinner and drinks with. If there are friends or family near the area I'll catch up with them for a bit as well.

I travel with many shoes and toiletries, suck at packing, and almost always have to check luggage. My usual bag is a hard-side four-wheeled Titan that has had the poo poo beaten out of it but holds up beautifully. Due to an unfortunate flight many years ago where I barfed on an approach to National with my boss seated one row away, Dramamine is now part of my standard pre-flight routine...doesn't mix so well with adult beverages in-flight though. Or maybe it does if other pax want to be entertained :toot:

The Good:
So, rant over, I have been very lucky to experience a broad cross section of the US and a tiny portion outside the States on my employer's dime, and to have built a large network of friends and colleagues across the country. My employer allows me a fair amount of control over booking most of my travel (except there's often little to no choice on the airline) and for compensatory time if travel occurs during off-hours or the weekends.

The TripIt and FlightTrack apps are essential and don't know how I managed without them. Silver on Delta, Gold on AA, additional scattered points on United, Southwest, and US Airways. Not enough mileage to use for more than one personal trip a year on AA/Delta but I rarely fly in my free time, so it's the realtime status perks I'm more interested in. Marriott properties are where I try to concentrate my hotel bookings.

The current increase in travel is something I knew was part of the additional duties I sought out to line up a promotion which should bring good things soon. And there's an infinite supply of crazy people to run into and stories to collect!

The Help Me:
Keeping fit while on the road has proven difficult due to the inconsistent availability of gyms and free weights, so I invested in some heavy-duty resistance bands which helps some. If anyone has tips for eating healthier and staying fit while on the road I and my considerable rear end sure would appreciate them!

edited to add pertinent stuff.

Vortex Street fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Dec 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vortex Street
Oct 23, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

Myself. It tends to take up a lot of time too.

What is everyone's hotel policy?

I'm asking because my hotel policy is a bit nebulous. We have some preferred hotels but many places don't have them around. I typically just book whatever is close/or has a deal on hotels dot com or something.

The tough part: the main HQ for our company is in another country. There the hotels are really cheap ($70/night with breakfast, internet, hot springs all included...) and are charge per person, not per room. So they put a cap on us of $100/night. Nobody really follows this and just puts up with getting complained at by the travel finances people. For example, I was working in a uni lab for a week so I got a deal on a hotel next to the uni for $139/night, and I could walk, which saved $20 a day on parking. I got bitched out even though all of the surrounding hotels were $170+. I guess they expect people to shack up in the ghetto.

But a conference in Montreal at $220/night and I didn't hear anything about that :iiam:

I just have to stay at or under whatever rate is set for the area. One trip landed me a hotel bill that varied wildly in rates during my stay due to a nearby conference--the low days were really low, the high days were far over the allowed rate, but it averaged out to $10/day less than the allowed rate. However the goobs working on my reimbursement were not at all savvy with a calculator and gave me all kids of hell about it until I spelled it out for them. :iiam: too.

Vortex Street
Oct 23, 2010

Waroduce posted:

We do that when I go somewhere worth it. I'll be in Denver for the first time in two weeks and I'm pretty stoked. I'm open to suggestions for restaurants and stuff if anyone's got em?

If it's not too late, Rioja is a most excellent restaurant; their signature artichoke tortellini is amazing and pairs with the lavender-rosemary bread really well. Get the fig beignets for dessert.

Vortex Street
Oct 23, 2010

Motronic posted:

Tell your wife she is being wildly irresponsible and needs to deal with the reality of what is happening right now.

I'm going through similar at the moment - annual family vacation that her parents liked to rent a huge shore house and have all their kids/spouses and the grand kids together. It's normally chaotic and fun. Her dad died a couple years ago. Her mom is going stir crazy with quarantine. Her mom still thinks this is happening in August and I'm gonna have to be the bad guy because it doesn't look like anyone else is stepping in. I'm waiting for this to get closer so hopefully the news sinks in from watching.....the news. There is no responsible way to being together 5+ households to live together for a week right now, 8+ hours away from their homes.

Sorry. Nice meltdown.

Same here, extended family/three households had planned to get together in Florida in mid-July in rented beach houses and I was super reluctant. However, my elderly mother was adamant about going to the beach even though she takes all other precautions. Something happened on a recent, rare outing that scared the pants off her (yay?) enough that she has called it off for us despite losing a chunk of money on the rental. Her siblings and their kids/grandkids are still going, though. One couple is in their late 70s and in poor health so...oof.

Hope your crew also figures it out too. Melt down all you want.

Vortex Street
Oct 23, 2010

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/13/business/delta-luggage-heathrow.html

Delta flew a plane with no pax and 1000 pieces of delayed luggage from Heathrow to Detroit just to get things moving.

Vortex Street
Oct 23, 2010

Konstantin posted:

I am a board member of a nonprofit, and we often need to travel to conferences. One of the biggest expenses is hotel rooms, and with the greater diversity of our staff, it has become clear that we need some sort of formal policy about the sharing of rooms. Ideally, everyone would get a private room, but that would lead to us being able to send fewer people, and these conferences are valuable for staff development and networking with allied organizations. Is there a good model policy about this we can review and adopt so that everyone has the opportunity to participate while respecting people's boundaries?

I work with a non-profit that sometimes has college students involved in the work we do. Up until about five years ago, students often shared rooms in the city where our large annual event is held.

Several years ago the national top dogs of the non-profit said hell no to the student room sharing for liability reasons. So now we just have fewer students involved. Sucks in terms of less opportunities for students to work with the event, but it was the right thing to do.

In other words…suck it up, no sharing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vortex Street
Oct 23, 2010

i fly airplanes posted:

I think students sharing a room is pretty different from employees sharing a room

Not anymore, when it’s a hotel room at a conference/event and involves students from different universities. For this event, the conference organizers would be assigning strangers to room with each other; they are the only participants with whom this was done , and the risk of it going wrong was high.

My point was, if it’s too risky for this large non-profit with expensive lawyers to invite/sponsor students to a conference and put them in shared hotel rooms from a liability and complicated room assignment (read: room assignments based on gender) standpoint …then it’s too risky for adults, too, from said standpoint.

TL;DR: pay up for single occupancy or risk assault lawsuits

Vortex Street fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Mar 14, 2024