Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Mackieman posted:

As a loyal United customer (:rolleyes:) my primary use for the lounge is a place to sit and charge stuff, and for the ability to (usually) get a qualified agent in the event of irrops. Lounge agents have saved my rear end more than once.

This. When I was constantly flying, I asked my boss if I could expense the lounge for precisely that reason. poo poo happens, but qualified agents can really minimize the damage. If you have a tight schedule, it is worth it. Plus, you can argue as an added bonus the free food will cut down on your eating expenses. For me, that was technically true but that is because a lot of my "food" budget involved alcohol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I always strip the bed so that a) I can shake it out to make sure that there is nothing left and b) save the cleaning lady some time.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
My company's policy is to always get the full tank. Because my former boss was very budget-conscious, he told us to disregard that, so I would usually end up fast-talking my way out of it (National Reps are reasonable people and I'm in sales so if I can't talk my way into either waiving or retroactively getting a free tank, what am I doing in this field?).

So as long as you use a real corporate vendor (National, Hertz, etc.) just play it by ear and fast-talk it. Hell, on numerous occasions when I've been short on time and couldn't fill-up, the dude checking in my car has helped me calculate whether paying their ABSURD per gallon prices or just buying the whole tank was cheaper. The first time this happened, I assumed it was a scam and doubled checked it on my flight. But they are pretty real folk.

My current boss wants us to follow the corporate policy to the letter. That's cool. I'm in town for one day, drive maybe 45 miles on the outside, BOOM, full tank. Ain't my money.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Don't shop around too much and just confidently buy hotels and flights worth your status. If you are spending too much money, they will let you know, but in my experience no one gets a pat on the back for being under-budget.

Choose your airline based on the nearest hub. Ease of travel is great, so go for that and stick with it. Once you've got momentum the perks are awesome.

I'm a Hilton man and it is great. I know plenty of Marriott people and they love it. But the real winners seem to be the Starwood folks. If I had a time machine, I'd be a Starwood man.

Like others said, grab the cards and everything else. Also, consider asking to get a lounge pass. If a flight gets canceled, they can be the difference between making the meeting and missing it. Also, free booze. Wifi Hotspot is a must and should be expensed.

If you are going to be crossing a lot of timezones, don't be ashamed to ask for Dr. Feelgood. I'm an uppers man, so amphetamines help get me at my best in every situation. A buddy of mine who prefers downers rocks the Xanax. Another co-worker who is less down with the freakshow loves Ambien. Blame any nosebleeds on dry airplanes.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Small White Dragon posted:

Actually Hyatt is supposedly even better than Starwood, but both Starwood and Hyatt's are not always easy to find. Hiltons and Marriotts, however, are everywhere.

I chose Hilton specifically because they treat their workers the best of the big chains. So I'm not even going to entertain Hyatt. Even if it is a discussion about hotel benefits.

Edit:

quote:

Oh and where ever you go, send post cards. It's a bit antiquated but a nice touch. Then get a facebook message receiving said post card.

I wish you had posted that a long time ago. That is a fantastic idea and one I'm going to adopt from now on.

Shbobdb fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jul 17, 2014

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Small White Dragon posted:

Is there an article somewhere ranking all the chains and describing how each treats their staff? Genuinely curious.

Let me ask my buddy. She's hardcore into labor issues and I just take her at her word. Hilton is supposed to be the best (well, least bad), Hyatt is supposed to be the worst and everybody else is kinda a big mix. I'll see if she can provide some hard data.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

HOG ILLUSTRATIONS posted:

I'm a new college grad, and I'm about to have my 3rd and hopefully final interview for a field service engineering position. The job requires travel 80% of the time, but jobs almost never last more than 5 days, ranging anywhere from one to five. The interviewers have said that they almost always get their field engineers home for the weekends. I'm looking forward to the travel, and don't have a relationship or any log term commitments to tie me down. My question is how does this travel schedule compare to others in terms of quality of life? Have you guys/gals found that lots of little trips are better for your sanity than being gone for months at a time?

This kind of travel is totally doable and can even be really fun. But it can (will) burn you out. Pay attention to that and don't feel bad taking a day-or-two at the home office. That will keep you sane and ready to go. Also, keep up on the expense reports because they will fill up fast.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
My wife has two long layovers at ohare. What is the best Lounge at O'Hare? Free drinks are important. I usually fly us so I use us lounges but I got into the dl Lounge at lga and it was incredible. So, wanted to see what people recommend for buying a pass.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Thoguh posted:

At most Delta lounges only the well drinks are free, and they aren't even really free because you're guilted into tipping the bartender.

Your point being? People who don't tip are beneath pond scum.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

MickeyFinn posted:

Rick Bayless has a number of Frontera sandwich places at ohare. If your wife likes Mexican food, she should go there. Not a lounge, but still worth it.

Frontera is already on the menu ;) So, it sounds like all the lounges are pretty much the same. Free (bad) beer and (bad) wine with DL having the additional free (bad) well drink? In that case, she can just buy whichever one is easiest for her.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
To be fair, Rick Bayless is pretty awesome.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I really like the occasionally lovely hotel. It reminds me of traveling as a kid. Granted, I only spend a night-or-two in them. Though I did have a long-term stay at a real lovely place but it was cool and local "motel" style so I was able to turn it into my swinging bachelor pad pseudo-apartment for two weeks.

It's fun. There is sterility to mid-range hotels that is kinda soul crushing. I'm less likely to get dinged spending less money than I am spending more money, so if I want to mix it up I've got that option.

When I'm killing it, I'll indulge and get my novelty by going up because, well, I've earned it. But I don't want to abuse that and be labeled a spendthrift.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Nthing Homewood Suites. They are far-and-away my favorite Hilton property.

So, I killed all my Hilton points on my wedding and I didn't travel much this year so I'm gonna lose my Diamond status. What is the current "in" chain? I've heard good things about Starwood.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The steak place at IND is pretty good. And, like, normalish prices for an airport but clearly the same price they are charging to people who actually live there at the real restaurant. Loses points for airport ambiance, but we're all used to that.

Get the fried green tomatoes.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I really like Porter. They've got a really cozy, kitchy vibe that makes me happy. YOW <-> YYZ is all I've ever flown them, so the charm from ye olde tyme propellers and all that doesn't have time to wear off and it feels like just another puddle-jump. The kind of thing I used to do all the time as a kid growing up in the Midwest.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
My sister-in-law does that every year. They have one vacation where they open a new hotel card and a new airline card. They use the card for the year, while getting a heavily discounted vacation. Everybody wins!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Planes put me to sleep - not anything I deliberately do. I will fall asleep on a plane at any time of day/night unless I force myself not to.

Feel good, man. :chord:

I'm the same way. I don't know where I learned it, but it is absolutely automatic for me. It's a liability for me now because my territory is super small now so I'm looking at maybe a 2 hour flight. Doesn't matter, I sit down and just crash out. I got used to 1st class, so I was expecting an adjustment now that I'm flying coach but, nope. Southwest middle seat where I'm the smallest of three dudes . . . and I'm not small. I still pass right out before we even take off.

I wish I didn't, because 2 hours is just enough time to gently caress with your sleeping rhythms. Plus, when I get to first-class it with my wife I still sleep through the whole thing :(

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
They should market those planes as a retro experience. Have objectified stewardesses and free booze. Demand people wear a suit when they fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I've really enjoyed this last year with my Hilton Diamond and my US Platinum. It's been fun. I've been happy traveling less, but I will miss the perks. It's been real. I'm sure I'll be right back at it in a year-or-two. I do love traveling.