Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Anyone here have an Eagle Creek gear hauler? I'm doing a fair bit of travel for work, mostly around Europe but a few trips to the US, so I need a carry on bag that doesn't look like I'm going hiking. I don't like mini wheely bags. Is that a decent option?

http://shop.eaglecreek.com/gear-hauler/d/1291

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

sellouts posted:

Hey finally eligible for registered traveler to the U.K.

Bye border force

It is still fairly poo poo even if you are a UK citizen. Though I only really ever travel through Heathrow T5 (and T3 last week), maybe it's better elsewhere.

On another tack, I'm having to fly back from the US on a Delta 767, KLM codeshare. How much is this going to suck?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

sellouts posted:

Yeah, why does it suck? 70£ isn't the end of the world but if it helps expedite even once it's probably worth it.

Thankfully I don't require work papers but sometimes clients do so it's moot because I have to wait for them anyways

Just really long queues staffed by idiots. The electronic gates seem to work for about 50% of people, though I don't usually have a problem. Different on Sunday, the machine said no and they shepherded a load of people into the non-UK lanes where nothing happened, then the border guards started yelling at us for being in the wrong place.

I try not to get annoyed as it's their organisation that's to blame. It's just frustrating getting home after a long flight and being treated badly.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

DJCobol posted:

First/business isn't too bad. I've only done coach on domestic transcons in the 767, so I don't know about that.

Just checked and the secretaries / "executive assistants" (lol) have apparently booked me into business which is a nice surprise.

Didn't realise 767s are slow, I suppose the flight back is overnight so not too much of a problem.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Knitting Beetles posted:

I use over the counter travel sickness pills that knock me out for 8 hours and get me there more or less fresh. Previously I tried earplugs and pillows and they do help, but nothing like using chemicals to become unconscious for a good length of time. For next month I'm looking at two consecutive 12 hour flights, I'm sure it's a bad idea but like to see how delirious I can get.

Careful if you're using antihistamines:

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/common-anticholinergic-drugs-like-benadryl-linked-increased-dementia-risk-201501287667

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Sitting in MSP waiting to get to Vancouver, as a 99% BA flyer can I mention that Delta sucks balls.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

i fly airplanes posted:

SQ is better seat and service. Business on the Emirates a380 is nice, but the 777 is complete garbo.

I was impressed with the A380 when I flew Malaysian a while back, super quiet. Econ though.

Next week is London - Chicago - St Louis - Houston - New York - London (all BA / AA) followed by a weekend of military training please kill me

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Cacafuego posted:

Yeah, you'll be good, don't worry about it.

I got 2 early flights home tonight. I'm only platinum on AA, but I got the top spot on the standby list walking in at the last minute. Status is a good thing and I may just squeeze into exec plat on AA this year by going over 120 EQSs.

Also, had my first 'go around' last night on approach into CLT. I read about it after and it's apparently no big deal, but I was scared for a second there when we pitched up and hit the throttle.

Was reading about this go-around last night.

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/592054-so-westjet-almost-puts-one-their-737-water-while-landing-st-maarten.html

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I wouldn't really call AUS a small airport - now PIA, GSO, MLI, etc - those are small airports.

I loved Koh Samui airport. Little thatched huts for arrivals and departures, and golf buggies to take you to your plane.

https://www.samuiairportonline.com/

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I got upgraded to first class from business last night coming home to London from Philadelphia on BA. My first proper time up front, wow that is a great way to travel. Paradoxically I got less sleep than I would have in the business cabin because I was too busy drinking, seemed like the right thing to do though.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

sellouts posted:

I forgot PHL has 3 (4?) class service.

BA First is so much better than Club World imo.

I think all the flights I've been on recently have been 4-class, they have switched from multiple flights on a 777 per day to one round trip on a 747. I haven't tried the AA business flights which would be the alternative out of PHL but you're right the Club World offering is certainly looking a bit tired. I do sleep pretty well on it and the staff are generally pretty good.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

turing_test posted:

I remind myself every time I hear a screaming baby that hurtling through the air must be terrifying and confusing and very hard for them and then I put my headphones in and everything is generally fine. I'm sure this mom was having a horrible time as well.

Yeah some Shure noise isolating earphones and some Boards of Canada works for me. On the other hand I flew Etihad once and there were kids literally running up and down the length of the plane which was uncool.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I am about to spend a week in New Jersey :v: at least I will be spending the weekend boozing in new york

Looks like my days of flying BA are over as well. It will be either Swiss or United, how is United for transatlantic routes? I did a status match to United Platinum something or other.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Can confirm the Swiss Senator lounge in Geneva is pretty crappy.

Hell is other people, but particularly people that eat noisily and have speakerphone conversations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Got locked out of my room this morning because the battery ran out in the lock. Really enjoyed saying hi to all my colleagues in my gym kit at breakfast, thanks Hilton.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Anza Borrego posted:

Hai friends,

I’m going to PHL Thursday for a conference, can I crowdsource good central city dining and entertainment options from you all? It’s been several years since I was there.

Best place I would recommend to eat in Philly is Vernick on Walnut St, you probably won't be able to book but you can usually turn up and sit at the bar.

Alao Zahav is excellent.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

tony lukes is loving boss

loving hell this needs a health warning

disclaimer: I have never eaten a cheesesteak.. but this looks bad

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Tab8715 posted:

Despite over a hundreds of flights I've yet to ever had the need to poop on a plane.

One of life's great experiences is making GBS threads in the BA 747 First poocabin with its own little window at 40000ft above the Atlantic.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Aahaha. That must be ludicrously unsafe.

I've taken a couple of trips back to London on BA s hilarious european business class. Exactly the same seats as economy but you get booze and a salad. Glad I'm not paying..

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

sellouts posted:

Yeah. I mean, it’s cool and all but with the stop I’d rather just clear at JFK with a Global Entry?

And I prefer the lounge game at LHR because even at City I still arrive early so maybe I’m just bad at it?

It takes pretty much the same amount of time to get to Heathrow as City and the First or the B gate lounges are nice.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Can't wait to leave Orlando. Conferences are just pretty draining. Also I hate golfers.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Has United biz transatlantic been updated recently? I feel unexpectedly comfortable. The lounge was good too despite being in Newark

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I hate Geneva Airport so much. I'm at the nexus of Swiss disorganisation and terrible United service.

E: great view from my window seat

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 18, 2020

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Coming in to land at Innsbruck is pretty cool, there is not a lot of space between the airport and the mountains. I regret I never got to fly into the old Hong Kong airport, a friend's dad growing up was a pilot for Cathay, it sounded pretty cool.

About to take off Orlando to Frankfurt with Lufthansa. There is a dog sitting next to me.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

On the tarmac at Heathrow. There is a child sitting behind me constantly drumming on the table and back of seat. It's mother has lost a passport and phone, and is demanding the hold baggage is unloaded so she can check it. Arseholes.

E: French air traffic control are on strike so we are being delayed

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

All my statuses gone

Well well well if it's not my first business travel since Feb 2020, flying in economy back to Covid Island for a conference.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Oh man a good hotel breakfast absolutely rules but that's a holiday thing rather than a business trip thing.

The best and possibly only good thing about jet lag is I get to be one of the early riser weirdos for a few days and go running at 5am.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Aaaah gently caress BA, I needed to change my flight time but the website was unavailable for a "system upgrade" and then it took an hour to speak to anyone, after which they wouldn't change the flight and I had to get my EA to speak to Amex to change the flight.

I flew Swiss in the end.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

My BA flight home is cancelled in a "definitely not a cyberattack" cyberattack. I don't have lounge access any more so am having to deal with the genpop in the Fortnums bar until I get a new flight.

Pray for me

Update: still not managed to leave London

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Feb 27, 2022

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Let me know if you want any restaurant or bar recs in London

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yeah that was going to be my response, where will you be and what do you want?

Gymkhana is excellent as is Benares for good (though expensive) Indian
Roka is great for Japanese

Go for a drink at the Berners Tavern

So many choices but depends on your location and budget

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Short haul probably not but pretty much everyone is shoes off for long haul flights. Airlines give you different socks, and in 1st you get pajamas.

Is this one of those "Americans wear shoes indoors" things? The author of the article says he only takes shoes off to shower which is pretty weird.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Shoes off is fine, barefoot is not OK in any circumstance

Ah I missed that it was a barefoot situation. Yeah

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I stayed at the W Verbier the past few days, which is now a Marriott brand. It was pretty great, one of the better hotels I've stayed in.

Probably full of total assholes in high ski season but super nice and chilled right now.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

In LHR T5 I'm pretty sure there are only the BA lounges and they won't let you in without Oneworld status or a biz+ ticket. The lounges themselves aren't bad, especially for drinks, but you will get a better meal at the Gordon Ramsay place or the Fortnums bar.

(I know this after spending the whole weekend in T5 a few weeks ago 😔)

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Any recs for a "nice" laptop bag or messenger bag? I've been using the free one work gave me, it's a bit poo poo and I'd like a little more space for headphones and things. I was looking at Tumi which seem OK but any other brands?

Flying Swiss short haul business tomorrow, hopefully better than BA. I remember the Swiss lounge at GVA is a bit of a cafeteria so minus points there already.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I went to the Tumi store on Regent Street today, they have some really nice stuff. Almost pulled the trigger on one of their cases, but couldn't quite bring myself to drop that much on a bag. I'll have to dwell on it.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I'm on the new Crossrail / Elizabeth line to Heathrow, it's £2.60 instead of £36 for the Heathrow Express. gently caress the Heathrow Express.

Wow Heathrow T2 was an absolute disaster. Huge queues, no information, clueless staff. After queueing for an hour I got an airport employee to let me cut the queue. Got to the front eventually and the bag check person said I should have just walked up as I have a business ticket. Aaagh! At least fast track security was swift.

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jun 1, 2022

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I've committed a thread faux-pas and bought an aluminium carry on case. I was all set up to get a Tumi material one but then the aluminium one was pretty much the same price. It is very nice!

Off to Vienna this week, looking forward to it somehow getting scratched on the first outing.

Still haven't found a laptop bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

https://twitter.com/Bunny27399260/status/1539716088476291072?s=20