Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Hadlock posted:

Not sure where to put this

Has anyone evaluated a relocation offer to go to Saudi Arabia, what factors did you consider and what caused you to ultimately rule it out, or pull the trigger

I guess for anyone that's not American, not having income tax is a big benefit, but we're both using residents. The IRS ignores the first ~$100k of income abroad but if you work in a major coastal city as a DINK that's nice but not going to move the needle a whole whole lot.

I had an offer to go work there in 2016 as an instructor for the Saudi Air Force. They offered $90k and obviously the whole free housing thing. Despite being single I opted out of it, mostly because I had already spent six months in Qatar stuck on Al Udeid and figured Riyadh would have been the same. It sounded like most of the contractors working on base stayed in their base housing and didn't get out much. Also the general wisdom from anyone who was ex military was to not take a job over there if it was less than $100k. Also also I had just started a new job in Minnesota and didn't feel like burning bridges just yet, although I left that job and the state less than a year later, I'm sure I would have been just as unhappy in Saudi

In more current travel news my first business related bit of travel since that deployment to Qatar in 2012 is a two night trip to... western Kansas, heck yeah

Hotel Kpro fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU