Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

shrike82 posted:

I'll be embarking on a 6-week business trip to Canada and Asia. My flights have been booked (biz class).
This is the first time I'll be on an extended work trip (priors have been 2-3 day trips at most).
Incidentally, I have a $100 per diem separate from work-related expenses.

What tips would you guys have for me especially when it comes to advice on eating out/fitness/misc?
In Asia, unless you speak the language, get the hotel to write down the hotel name and the address on a bunch of little cards so you can always find your way home. (Be aware that in China, Google Maps isn't always accurate.) Also, it might be fun to link up with the expat community there. I've met cool drinking buddies in Tokyo while hanging out at an expat bar.

Where are you going in Asia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Many of my coworkers have had luck calling AA and asking them to match Delta status. One girl moved from Atlanta to Dallas last year and AA basically handed her Plat.

Speaking of credit cards, I'm considering dropping my Citi AAdvantage for Chase Sapphire Preferred. I get enough miles from work travel, and I think UR points are way more valuable than what I get from my Citi. However, I don't know if I like the idea of having to book fun travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. I've heard hotels are often more expensive, it's a huge hassle, etc. Thoughts?

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Nifty posted:

Mileage not doing great but on track to hit Diamond on Hilton!

Congrats! I'll make gold, but probably not until late August. At least the Hilton Gods take pity on me with occasional drink tickets. Unfortunately, hotel bars are a minefield... today, some old drunk guy followed me from the lobby bar and tried to kiss me in the elevator. Free drinks = :confuoot:

As for miles, I have discovered that AA Plat gets me practically nothing over Gold, and Gold gets me nothing over having the Citi credit card.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

The remodeled half of DFW Terminal A has been mostly great except now it takes forever to get through security, even with status. Source: I've been standing in it for 20 minutes. At least my flight is delayed :v:

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I'm in the market for a new carry-on rollerbag. What are everyone's favorites?

Edit re: hotels... Hilton has given me a bunch of stuff (drink coupons, nights, free wifi). But my friend on Starwood got an entire week free in Hawaii.

taco show fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 26, 2013

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

3+ times a month, a few days each time. But every so often I'll go for more than a week or need to bring a few suits and that's when my current bag won't cut it. My main requirements are that it's light and easily fits into a standard AA overhead bin.

I don't really care about hard/soft or material, but I've heard horror stories on FlyerTalk about hard shells cracking?

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not, but there is definitely some sort of corporate policy you need to know, whether or not it is closely followed. My company sticks pretty closely to the 'standard corporate answer' and a colleague was fired recently for not adhering to the rules.

It would also depend on how big your company is. My sales friend at a small 100 person company has a pretty rough time with booking travel, staying at low-end chains, needing to drive everywhere, etc. On the other hand, my company does cool stuff like double my hourly rate for Sunday travel.

In other, unrelated news, I'm finally home for two consecutive weeks after almost three months of Monday-to-Friday-and-sometimes-weekends travel. My bed feels weird and I really need to do laundry, but it's good to be back.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Thoguh posted:

If the travel policies aren't reasonable I'd consider that to be a huge warning sign.
And it's the same about the "when" too. If you are worried, definitely ask! How many days a week? How flexible is the schedule? Are there any teleconferencing alternatives just in case? Consider that 35% might be fine, but what about 50%?

This summer was way out of the norm for me but yes, I knew when I signed the papers how much I might have to travel. It is slightly above what was in the job description, but I asked during the interview and they were very forthcoming. I also had the option to stay at home a few times, but I believed that being there in-person would be vastly better for whatever I was working on.

I personally really enjoy business travel- I get to visit cool cities, meet interesting people, and drink regional beers. There are times when it really sucks, but for the most part I'm having fun racking up the miles and points.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Southwest just announced that they're going to devalue their points by 10¢ starting March 2014. One of my friends is trying to dump 500,000 of them by flying his friends around at a discount or maybe by going to Vegas 71 times.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

American Airlines posted:

You can now earn and redeem AAdvantage miles when flying on American or US Airways. All eligible travel on either airline will count toward elite status qualification in the program of your choosing.
Also shared check in/standby/seating priority and lounge access.

I have a ton of east coast trips I need to book that tend to be a huge pain on just AA, so I am pleased that the points merger is starting so soon.

Edit: I recently got suckered (??) into buying one of those Hilton Grand Vacation things in Hawaii. Basically, I got a pretty decent hotel discount, points, and a bunch of travel vouchers but I have to go to a presentation of their timeshare program. Has anyone done this promotion before?

taco show fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 7, 2014

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I'm on FT only because many members are super spergy so they have awesome, intricate spreadsheets and good tips and discount codes once you wade through the BS. I once, out of curiosity, went to a meetup and the members are just as insufferable in real life.

snugglebunny posted:

Do you know how AA miles work? I've decided I want to see more places, so started traveling for pleasure and so far have got around 34,000 miles saved up but have no idea what they are for or how they work. Heck, I'm not even sure if that's a lot of miles even. Do they expire? Do I have to call up to use them? Someone said I can upgrade out of coach with them on the website but I have no idea how to do it. I guess it's something I should just call about but at this point but maybe someone can inform me exactly what the miles are good for.

34k is certainly enough to redeem for one or two domestic flights. If you book far enough in advance, you can find 12.5k flights. If you are thinking international, try to book off-peak. It will save you a lot of miles at the cost of maybe being a weird time to be in that country.

Here's the rewards chart: http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/free-ticket-award-chart.jsp

Also, AA almost always has some bonus offers running. For example, they're currently offering double miles to Asia (NRT or ICN) until Feb 1. There's a credit card, too, that you can sign up for and they dump a bunch of miles in your account. I think some people were getting up to 100k (75k sign up + 25k spending bonus) last year? Crazy.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I'm stuck at SJC for four more hours so I bought the day pass to the ANA lounge. It's pretty nice- quiet, not crowded, hot food, decent booze selection- totally worth the $35

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Also, see if they have some kind of fast track program for status. I was able to get Hilton gold within the first three months of road warrioring.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

^ I too have separate toiletries for travel.

I actually like to keep a little pouch of less often used items in my travel bag at all times, like Tylenol, dry shampoo, a Tide Stick (I don't think I've actually used this ever), and nail polish remover wipes (I use e.l.f.)... for example if, the night before a big presentation, you realize you still have on penis nail stickers from a bachelorette party.

I also pack a car charger and an aux line in my backpack. Having my own tunes/gps is a nice way to not go crazy if I have to do a lot of driving.

Oh, and DRINK LOTS OF WATER.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I also dislike the suits that put their one small carry on and jacket in the overhead compartment on a full flight. Yo there's a space under the seat for your bag, stop being a dick. It slows down the boarding process when we inevitably run out of space and flight attendants have to play tiny bag tetris with your poo poo.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

We should send each other postcards. Although I'm not sure how many of you want stuff from Marysville, OH or El Paso... my job doesn't quite take me to the most glamorous places. I do use Foursquare/Swarm on the road, which ends up being pretty cool to see where I've been over the past few years.

Fryhtaning posted:

Reading about all those awesome un-wheeled bags is exciting my inner metrosexual. I think I'm more excited about a couple of those options than my wife was about her last Coach purse. Speaking of, re: $250 pieces of luggage... do you even bring it up with your employers as something to expense, or are you typically on your own for that kind of thing? I do know that office equipment, including an office chair "within reason", will be covered.
We get laptop bags kind of covered - usually there's a stash of mid-quality bags in the main offices (along with spare chargers!) that people can grab. We don't get rolling luggage paid for, just a small corporate discount through our "employee marketplace" portal.

Re: doing stuff on flights: I actually will just play games on my iPad on the flight, which usually isn't as necessary battery-life wise when I land. Or read. When I was doing 75% travel I was going through a book a week. One time, a lady on a NY-LA flight busted out her entire makeup regimen next to me and basically gave herself a spa treatment. Hung a mirror off that latch that holds the tray table up and everything.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Anyone want a postcard from Bellevue/Seattle? PM me

Also, the Westin here is really, really nice. The whole area is fancy.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I'm heading directly from work travel in El Paso to LA to fun travel in Hawaii next week and I can't believe I somehow fit 2.5 weeks of radically different clothing, three pairs of shoes (heels!), and all my vacation poo poo into a carryon rollerbag. It's very heavy. I'm reaaaally trying to avoid hotel shampoo in the sink laundry.

caberham posted:

Thanks travel goon. Awesome post card from Seattle :glomp:
:respek:

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

They just took away our car allowance ($6500!!), so I feel you dude. :(

Our travel booking portal is also not bad, but I sometimes end up searching outside the site to get the times and hotel locations I want first. Then I fiddle with the portal search parameters to get exactly what I want.

Also, Seattle, what the hell?

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

There's two AA Admiral's Club lounges in Term 3. The one in the H-K concourse is pretty big and has food for purchase and showers. Both have free drinks (please tip your bartenders). I usually get a sandwich at the Bayless spot and then go up to the lounge to work.

It's not ~super luxe~ or anything but it works alright for me (yogurt pretzels!).

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

To be fair, I like that the PHL Admirals Club is self serve so no one can judge me when I get that fourth helping of Yuengling and cucumber finger sandwiches.

Anyway, I just flew one of AA's upgraded 737-800 and they are niiiiice. Multiple power outlets on every seat! Legroom even when not in MCE/F! I think there was even an S-Video cable? I didn't recognize the plug shape.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Probably only tangentially related to many of us, but SAP just bought Concur

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/dealbook/2014/09/18/sap-buys-concur-technologies-for-8-3-billion/

I wonder of they're going to do anything interesting with Tripit now, too.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I'm about 5k miles short on AA for the year and work travel has slowed to basically nothing. I'm based out of ORD so there's not a ton of great long haul AA deals (I miss you, DFW). Currently these are my options:

1. Do some overkill mileage run to Europe (Found a $583 to Stockholm but it's 16 hours and 2+ stops... yeeeesh)
2. Fly some weird domestic-ish routes? Maybe a triangle to cold rainy places in the beginning of December?
3. Actually book fun travel for a weekend (I'd need multiple domestic routes or one expensive international route.)
4. Buy the goddamn miles

HELP

taco show fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 7, 2014

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

AA just sent out an email with the new combined status perks that start Jan 1. Exec Plat is now 120 segments, which I will probably never make with my current travel. Thankfully, they're keeping the rest of the segments/miles/points the same (for now).

quote:

Once we combine programs, systemwide upgrades can be used on any American and US Airways marketed and operated flights worldwide.
Yaaay. They're keeping the sticker upgrades too.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

My coworker has one (and a FT lapel pin... seriously) and he says he gets harassed more for using our vaguely evil/skynet company's luggage handle cover.

In other news, I get to drive from Chicago to Oshkosh, WI tomorrow. I haven't been on a plane in more than a month and it's starting to itch.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I'm in sales consulting which means I get to use meaningless business phrases like "boil the ocean" all the time. My territory currently covers everything in the Central to Pacific time zones, but occasionally a client or our sales team will request that I go out of the country.

When I was based out of DFW I flew a ton, but now that I live in Chicago, a lot of my deals are juuuust close enough that flying no longer makes sense (Milwaukee, Fond du Lac, South Bend, etc. etc.) and my air miles have dropped significantly.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

The Risk posted:

No fancy expense system. We have this oracle looking lovely expense system.

I just want to kill myself before doing the 7K in expenses I need to do before Wednesday.

One of my big problems is the bag full of receipts and tracking the names of the clients I took out for dinner or drinks.
We use Oracle EBS expenses. Typically, I just write who I'm with physically on the receipt and use a scanning app on my phone like Scanner Pro or Genius Scan right at the restaurant or right when I get back to my hotel. I'll use a PDF editor if I need to append any other receipts like hotel, Uber, etc.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

sellouts posted:

I mean I've been on flights with over 40 exec plats on them. It all just depends.
SNA is easily the worst for this.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Xguard86 posted:

Right now I'm flying the people's republic of southwest so no can do.

You all think you're joking about strapping my head to the seat but I might just do it next time I'm too hungover to handle staying conscious.

Being hungover on a plane is incredibly uncomfortable. I usually just try to get drunk again on bloodys (if I'm not going to see a client).

Also, I use an inflatable neck pillow because I am slightly too short for the headrests. The biggest issue I had was there was no way to make it stay put so I mostly wear it inside a zip hoodie with the hood up. It makes me look like a college student and I get major side eye from all the suits I board in front of.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

My stupid AA mileage run is set for this coming Tuesday. I plan on finishing the entire first season of Broad City and reading as much airport fiction as I can until my various devices die. I'm not going to be able to make my Hilton goal, but I'm ambivalent on them after my weird Grand Vacations experience.

How is everyone doing on status? One month to go- hope you have your mileage runs planned.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Aristotle Animes posted:

GS-Plat just got comp'd prez circle with Hertz this coming year which is good because I think I would have missed re-qual by 2-3 rentals... and I wouldn't have cared much anyway unless going back through SFO, where the prez circle cars ruled.
Yes, SFO Hertz has seriously the best cars. Also, SJC isn't bad- every time I'm in town (even for conferences!) I somehow get assigned a Mustang convertible. :sun:

Also, more pleasure-travel related, but has anyone actually put hockey skates in a carry on recently? I don't want to check them as they are pretty new and expensive, etc. The TSA site says they're not prohibited, but I don't have skate guards, and they're literally shoes with knives on the bottom.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

A friend was put up in a Residence Inn for a YEAR right after we graduated. Luckily, this was in Madison, WI (cheap rent!) so he took the hotel and also rented a room in some random house on campus with three college dudes. Whenever I went to Madison for work I'd sit on their gross couch and play Gretzky 64.

Uncle Jam posted:

It really depends on location, I think I could go pretty much indefinitely in a hotel in New York or Tokyo, but like a Garden Inn next to a highway interchange in the middle of suburbia wouldn't last me 3 weeks.
I went 3.5 weeks one summer in downtown Minneapolis and it was pretty drat fun.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I just got assigned my first travel of 2015... to Toronto... in mid January. :rip:

Can I get Global Entry in time? It might be worth it anyway even if I miss the dates because I don't have precheck either. Schlepping it with the plebes keeps me humble, you know?

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

For those of you keeping score, I just got approved for Global Entry in less than a month. It took roughly 24 hours for the background check to go through, despite having 8 addresses for the past five years and some weird employment history/gaps (I was a student). For the interview, ORD is wide freaking open for reservations right now and I could have gone in literally the next day, but I couldn't find my passport. The interview itself was less than 20 minutes. I got the final approval email on the way home on the blue line.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Cheapest flights per your airline of choice. We have to get special approval if it's booked within a week.

"Company preferred" hotels and hotel rates- this includes the major chains, but there is usually nothing over $275/night.

Dinner is usually around $30-40 if I'm not with clients but there's no hard and fast limit.

I'm in sales, though, so we get a lot more leeway to spend money. I've been at dinners where we blew $100+ per person (mostly alcohol heh), but we were celebrating a big win. If the deal size is big enough then the company is ok with spendier meals or travel.

ETA: The food spend allowance has totally ruined me. I went straight out of school into this role so I'd have steaks on weekdays and whatever I could scrabble together, college style, on the weekends. I've gained a lot of weight :(

taco show fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jan 6, 2015

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Well poo poo, I left my corporate card at home. Guess I'm floating this Canadian trip on my personal card. At least I get points? :(

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Thoguh posted:

Oh man, I'm glad you posted that. I departing on a last minute trip in about an hour and had totally forgotten to put my corporate card back into my wallet until I read your post.

I'm here for you :respek:

Also, anyone have suggestions for what's good around downtown Toronto? I'm in the financial district (Hilton) and it's apparently a restaurant wasteland. I'll be eating solo tonight and taking out youngish (late 20s) clients for happy hour tomorrow.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

It's such a short flight though... Barely 1:20 on the long end. I usually only try for upgrades in flights closer to 3+ hours

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Edit: ^ it can be as low as 12.5k for a domestic ticket! Might as well keep it active

Yeah, puchu, what's your goal here? It seems very weird that you can get a deal like that via miles on AA. They've tightened up a lot of the reward travel in the past years.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

TripIt is probably the best way to do this.
While this will put all the information in one place for you to see (and email, etc.), it wont put it all on the same Sabre #.

Also, I believe once a numbrt is assigned to an itinerary, it's very hard to combine trips. That's what's true for AA, at least.

taco show fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Well, I certainly see it available for 60k miles. Hopefully it sticks around for you! Maybe try and work out a deal with a friend to gift you the miles.

Also, that iten is a slog. 33 hours good loving lord.