Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kansas
Dec 3, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The other thing is, I find it pretty dumb to do two segments versus one to just increase time, inconvenience and whatnot for status.

Obviously you have to do the math, but depending on the situation it can be worth it.

There was a promo a few years back for an extra 2,500 miles for flights from LGA-BOS. There is a 500 mile minimum per segment, 100% bonus for having status, and at the time, a second 100% bonus for living in NYC my 'address' on file was the Sheraton. Plus then I had a slightly longer following flight BOS-DFW. These all added up to an extra 14,000 miles a week when adding in the extra stop.

Best part was these flights had barely legal connections so even a 10 minute delay would make it an illegal connection. Then you are able to do confirmed standby on a direct and then just call later and ask for 'original routing credit'. I ended up actually going through Boston only 3 times in ~30 flights. This party lasted for about 3 months over the summer and I racked up an additional 200,000 miles (which counted for lifetime status at that point!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kansas
Dec 3, 2012
Welp. Gotta burn through a giant pile of AA miles ASAP.

kansas
Dec 3, 2012
AA is running a match program to exec plat but it required you already be either UA 1K or DL DM. Then you need to earn 25k elite qualifying points in a 90 day period.

kansas
Dec 3, 2012

salted hash browns posted:

Sup fellow travelers. United/SPG guy here.

Quick question: I'm going a bit stir-crazy during the week. Occasionally there are nights I have a couple hours to kill before bed, what do you all do to keep busy on the road? I've been tearing through books but would like to hear what other people do away from home during the week.

Do the work that I pretend to do on Friday.

kansas
Dec 3, 2012

Belldandy posted:

plus they are giving CK members priority over EXP I hear, which will be neat.

Curious - where did you hear this rumor? Didn't see anything about it on FT / TB?

kansas
Dec 3, 2012
Plat will get you MCE, Gold is going to lose that benefit.

kansas
Dec 3, 2012
I'm not a UA flyer but Marriott (where I'm platinum) just sent me an email stating they were granting me whatever third tier status is. It sounded like a big program based in the graphics and branding so I'm guessing other Marriott folks may get the same thing.

kansas
Dec 3, 2012
Before Marriott killed the all inclusive packages I took three, separate, week-long vacations to Costa Rica, Aruba, and St. Thomas for a grand total combined out of pocket cost of $2. Now I see why they killed that program. Total point cost was around ~600k I believe.

kansas
Dec 3, 2012

Fryhtaning posted:

That would really piss me off, because I was looking forward to having Charlotte as a hub for getting around the eastern US on AA from TN. I avoid ORD like the plague.

This is sort of on-topic, sorta not - and this is addressed to the whole thread - but I may be interviewing for a 35-50% travel (as listed on the posting) position in the near future. In hindsight or not, what would be the three most important questions you would ask during interviews/negotiations, regarding business travel, so that there are no surprises and so that realistic expectations are established early on?

Official policies are usually crap:
'always book the cheapest fare regardless of carrier'
'never spend more than $100/night for a hotel'
'always use your company amex for all work expenses' (drat you Visa-dependent Marriott megabonus!)

I think any questions you ask will be given the standard corporate answer. I'd try and talk to someone more casually about how it actually works in practice.

kansas
Dec 3, 2012

Ynglaur posted:

I personally find the whole fare class system useless as a passenger, and needlessly complex. About the only distinctions I make are:
- How nice is my seat?
- Can I refund with or without a penalty?

Beyond that I have no idea if a Y fare is better or worse than an N fare, or whatever.

This is why the fare class system works so well. 98% of people don't know the difference or care about them. They buy a seat, and get a seat. The fare class system was basically setup to prevent the people in this thread (myself included) from gaming the system. That is why so many bonuses, challenges, upgrades, etc are dependent on them.

kansas
Dec 3, 2012
well the 400k AA miles i have just got a whole lot less useful

kansas
Dec 3, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

The first-worldest of first world problems.

Last time I got an upgrade, it was to a loving Impala. Thing looked like a boat, drove like one.

I'd argue the thread on FT where people were complaining about how many portions of caviar they were able to get while flying CX in F was a more first-worldest of problems...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-asia-miles/1156729-what-your-max-amount-caviar.html

kansas
Dec 3, 2012
My only ever opup in 500+ flights has been the coveted STL-ORD route. It was caused because of irrops and there was an equipment swap of a 777 for several 737s (I forget exactly why, but I believe the 2 class DFW-ORD flight was diverted due to storms). I flew on the intl F hard product for a full 35 minutes. All it did was confirm my suspicions that I was way wiser to book my real intl F on JL or CX instead of AA.

kansas
Dec 3, 2012

Belldandy posted:

"Keep your shoes on."

"Keep your shoes on."

"DO I NEED TO TAKE MY SHOES OFF???"

To be fair, the first time I did pre-check however many years ago this was pretty much my reaction too. It's been drilled so hard into people's head for over a decade that it is all people know.

What's worse than clapping? As soon as we touched in CMH down the pilot came on and said "Welcome to O-H-" and whole plane yelled back "-I-O". loving Ohio State, never seen so many people so proud of such a mediocre school.

kansas fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 14, 2014

kansas
Dec 3, 2012

Fryhtaning posted:

Got my new hire packet in the mail over the weekend, and have been reading up on the travel policy.

Apparently company policy is to make all travel arrangements through Egencia, uninfluenced by reward programs. Should I just go ahead and toss all of my reward program memberships in the trash?

SELECT REASON CODE:
"Non-stop route"
"Dates/times required"
"Poor on-time performance"
"Cabin availability"
"Travel with client"

Really the systems are so easy to game in so many ways. You want the 7am UA but your tool is incesent about taking the 7:30am AA? Start your search from 3am and find out the computer only searches for alternates within 4hours of your *requested* departure time. Say you want a flight from JFK-SFO, you preferred flight is not the cheapest, find a more expensive fare from LGA-SFO then click select alternate and enable near-by airports and choose your original flight as the 'low cost option'. Look how accommodating you are being flying out of a different airport! I'm not advocating use these techniques to get out of big fare deltas, but most minor ones are easily accommodated. Everyone who is in the game has the same understand, no one does 150,000 BIS miles to have it spread across six airlines. Just be reasonable about it and you'll be fine.

kansas
Dec 3, 2012

Thoguh posted:

I don't even understand the thought process of asking about switching if you aren't offering a comparable or better seat.

I was flying intl and my SWU didn't clear so I am in Y (3-4-3) config and this woman asks this guy if he'll switch his aisle for her middle "up a few rows" so she could be closer her to her family. He declined so she asked one further row back and the guy just goes "OK sure, families should be together". This was a long haul 11+ hr flight. Turns out she was offering a middle seat in J which she neglected to mention. Guy was ecstatic when she hand him her business BP.

The woman had moderate English skills so it may have been a communication issue, but I swear she purposefully neglected to mention the J aspect on purpose as a way of karma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kansas
Dec 3, 2012

Midjack posted:

That they do this at all tells you the entire TSA is nothing except what bullshit is.

I saw a TSA person evenly splitting pax into the regualr/1st class line at security and while doing it was saying "Everyone is equal here" :rolleyes: