Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

12Apr1961
Dec 7, 2013

Konstantin posted:

I am a board member of a nonprofit, and we often need to travel to conferences. One of the biggest expenses is hotel rooms, and with the greater diversity of our staff, it has become clear that we need some sort of formal policy about the sharing of rooms. Ideally, everyone would get a private room, but that would lead to us being able to send fewer people, and these conferences are valuable for staff development and networking with allied organizations. Is there a good model policy about this we can review and adopt so that everyone has the opportunity to participate while respecting people's boundaries?

You may be better off asking this question at "Ask a Manager" website - it seems to be a hangout for non-profits managers, and this topic has been raised several times there. From causal perusal, I recall reading that non-profits and academia have wildly different standards from other industries, so there isn't really much useful advice to be had from a broader group.

For example, in my industry (software vendor, but I see a lot of consultancies doing business transformation projects, where we are a small technical part), everyone gets their own hotel room, no questions asked. Only exception is Indian colleagues, who prefer to get a short-term house let, and share kitchen facilities to cook their own meals (whether for financial, dietary or religious reasons). Even then, I believe they each have their own rooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU