Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I remember the old Southwest "club style" seating, which seemed to have designed for making new friends creating awkward social interactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Xguard86 posted:

"No first class" sounds almost like a punitive rule. What the hell do they care outside of the price of the ticket.

The people who write T&E policies don't actually travel, and as people who don't frequently travel for work, they imagine those who do as being perpetually on vacation somewhere.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Ynglaur posted:

Delta went from having a killer iPhone app to somehow creating an embarrassingly bad Windows Phone app to making their webpage lock you out constantly if you enter a password with your email address instead of your Skymiles number (even though it says use an email address OR a Skymiles number). Having the field labelled "PIN" and a note immediately below saying "You can't use a PIN" is a nice touch as well.

I think the recent issues with people getting hacked and having their FF/hotel accounts emptied has caught the airlines off guard and made them do awful things with the login process.

United also made it so you could no longer sign in with your username instead of your account number, and they did little to make this clear (although at least they DID take "username" off the box where for the last two years you could enter a username).

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I think the situation is that the Bad Guys have a lot of email addresses/usernames and a lot of passwords gathered from other hacked sites. Knowing they get re-used, they were bulk checking them against FF/hotel sites. Then if they got a hit, they'd go use the credentials to log in and book award tickets.

The logic on the airlines' part seems to be "well gently caress, they're bombarding us with logins using usernames, just make the usernames not work for anyone." Not defending the behavior by any stretch, I wasted quite a bit of time trying to figure out why I couldn't log in to United when I realized they disallowed username login.

What I would rather see happen than all this login tomfoolery is better verification on actions that could debit your FF account. In order to book a ticket against your miles, the airline would SMS or autodial you with a code that you enter on their website as a confirmation. Chase won't even let me log into my mortgage account without doing a verification like that, let alone take any action that could actually cost me money.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

A friend of mine has been traveling international every week for the last year or so after getting a promotion at work.

Found out yesterday that he is currently laid up in the hospital for DVT and a related pulmonary embolism.

Stay safe, folks.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The problem I've had with active noise canceling headphones, or at least my QC3s, is that they're uncomfortable for me if you're playing music below a certain volume level, or if you're just wearing them for noise reduction and no music at all.

Without music playing (or at low volumes), the "negative-noise" coming out of the headphones means that you still feel sound pressure on your ears but you are actually perceiving less sound than you were before. Maybe it is a personal thing, but confusing my brain like this gives me a headache like no other.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The liability shift for transactions conducted via magstripe comes October 1 2015 so have fun with that chipless corp card in the US too.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

A friend of mine drops their excess toiletry kits/etc off at the USO branch at their home airport at the end of their trips.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

canoshiz posted:

Welp, looks like my travel days are ending. Company decided to eliminate my position. In light of this news, this means I have two weeks to use my 44k AMEX reward points before turning in my card next week and cancelling the rewards program enrollment. Anyone know what the best value for points redemption is?

If nothing else that's good for about $400 in Banana Republic/Gap/Old Navy gift cards that you can sell on ebay/sa-mart/whatever.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Is CLEAR worth it at all if you already consistently have precheck access?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

caberham posted:

2A or bust. Hopefully USB spec 3.1 C will make this concern a thing of the past

Most Android phones from the last 12 months or so also now support "Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0," which will do a great job charging your phone. If your phone supports this then make sure to get a charger that talks that protocol (and there are also a couple battery bricks that support this). It's nice for topping off your phone during a layover, because you'll get a lot more charge out of the 20 minutes or so you're sitting there.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Pissingintowind posted:

Centurion Lounge at SFO is pretty nice. Could easily get wasted here if I wanted to.

Anyone been to the one in LGA? I'll be passing through there next week and I wonder if it's worth hitting the Centurion room over the Sky Club. Flying Delta so I'd have to take the terminal bus after I'm done drinking.

turing_test posted:

I'm flying to Toronto for business. I have a Nexus card (no iris scan) and Precheck - how soon before my flight should I get to my home airport / to the Toronto airport for my return flight?

Unless they changed it, I thought you can't use the airport crossings with Nexus unless you've enrolled an iris scan?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

My experiences with Airbnb have basically either been a) the airbnb landlord had moved in with a significant other and decided to airbnb out their current apartment rather than break lease, or b) they clearly were in the business of owning multiple properties.

The latter folks seem typically better at handling things. The single-unit people just renting out their apartment are often a pain to deal with because you have to coordinate arrivals, getting keys, etc.

I stayed at a place in SF that was a little mother-in-law cottage behind a 6-plex apartment building the guy also owned. He had a keypad lock on the front door and messaged me the passcode via on the day I was to arrive, and just had me text him on the way out on the final day to let him know I was gone. I never actually spoke with him or saw him in person, which was fine by me. It was like $129/night for a 500sqft cottage in a cute neighborhood, with kitchen and king bed, compared to like $400/night for a hotel.

My last job hosted an offsite in SF a few months ago. Most of the team was based in the Bay Area and four of us were remote, so we rented a big house for the out-of-towners rather than book four hotel rooms. We got a four bedroom house for something like $699/night. Was way more comfortable for us and there was plenty of room for the locals to come over to chill for dinner/drinks. The person/agency who listed this place had about four other similar houses and did the same thing with just giving us a passcode for the door. That was especially nice because none of us had to worry about who would fly in first and get keys.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Devian666 posted:

It's a code that has never been put on a terrorist's ticket.

FWIW, 15 of the 19 9/11 hijackers were selected by the system, but back then it was useless because a) being selected only meant having your checked bags screened, and b) box knives were kosher to carry onboard anyway.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

sellouts posted:

If you are forced to use your own card for reimbursements, the 30k spend on spg Amex to get gold status is pretty easy. This year I will hit it on stays.

Im bummed that the 35% off point stays happened after I already booked my trip. I have enough for a nice stay in a category 8 resort.

Amex platinum also has instant SPG gold too.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Barry posted:

And Hilton gold now as well.

Whoah, I had no idea.

https://rewards.americanexpress.com/olet/enroll?campaignId=bvdk1015&offerType=hiltonbvdk1015

I picked up an Amex platinum a couple months ago because I've been traveling a little more (well, one trip a month) and most places I go have Centurion rooms. I've only been to the LGA one thus far but it's super nice.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

smackfu posted:

Is SPG Gold vs Plat much of a difference? We get Gold via the SPG Amex (and spending way too much money on that card) but just curious whether it is worth much.

In my experience the difference in benefits between SPG Platinum and Gold is way wider than the difference between Gold and no status at all.

As SPG Gold, that would would get me upgrades to nicer studio-style rooms (often a corner room on a higher floor). Once I hit Platinum, I got automatically upgraded into suites on probably 80% of my stays. Platinums also got access to club lounges, regardless of what room you booked or were upgraded into.

While they have rooms on club levels that are otherwise "standard style" if they were on a different floor, I've never once been upgraded into such a room as a gold member. I assume that's per policy.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

So is it a thing that PreCheck carries over to people on the same PNR, even if they don't have a trusted traveler number?

I put a trusted traveler number on my reservations, my wife does not have one. Every time she and I have traveled together, she's also gotten PreCheck. Same thing with our son, although he's 3 years old so he would just go through the PreCheck line with me anyway even if I was the only one who had the endorsement on their boarding card.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/11/arts/international/liu-yiqian-modigliani-nu-couche.html?smid=pl-share&_r=0

Trying to figure out how you could spend roughly 200 million Membership Rewards points. Probably not a big deal for you if Amex will let you charge $170 million in a single transaction, though.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The Westin Grand on Robson is nice too, the Robson strip has some decent restaurants/bars/shopping and the hotel is all suites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Kase Im Licht posted:

Hotwire is great. I've gotten fantastic deals in NYC and Vegas. With some research you can frequently get a good idea of what hotel you're getting.

Yep, typically I've been able to look at an "opaque" Hotwire hotel listing and either deduce exactly what hotel it is, or narrow it down to 2-3 possibilities, with maybe 10 minutes of googling. The listed amenities on the Hotwire listing are usually enough to help you with this.

Hotwire for opaque airline fares is another story, don't do that. Hope you like 5am flights or redeyes because that's most likely what you're gonna get. You also seem to get put in the shittiest of the shittiest buckets when it comes to resolving missed connections/cancelled flights/etc. Had an former girlfriend get told by a gate agent, "if you hadn't booked through Hotwire we'd have a lot more options to help you."