Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.
Another frequent traveller checking in as well. I do about ~250,000 miles a year, mostly domestic, all on American Airlines. I normally book my travel on full fare first and as a result got awarded "ConciergeKey" on AA, much like the guy from "Up in the Air". I also do about 150 nights a year in Starwood properties and just hit lifetime platinum with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

Lyon posted:

God drat, what do you do? That is a lot of freaking miles. I would love to travel more and have considered looking for a new position but I can't justify it until they don't give me a raise or I stop learning things.

High level dude in a large company. Traveling is great but there are a lot of considerations you need to take regarding your personal life, which is really the big downfall for a lot of people. If you can travel on your companies dime it's an amazing opportunity to see the US or in some cases the world.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Daeus posted:

drat. I've done 100-150k a year on AA past few years almost all domestic but 250k is just incredible esp with only 150 nights. I have a few friends who do 250-300k a year but its mostly TPAC and TATL. Hope you get to spend the majority of the time in 767/777s...

Sadly I don't, most of that has been in 737s.

Nifty posted:

What sort of resources/websites/searches do you guys use to take advantage of exploring the areas you are in? I would love to know cool things to do and look at, but I feel like I'm not always using my time and the area I'm in to their fullest.

I usually ask the people I am working with for good spots to check out, and I know its dumb but I use Yelp a lot.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

sellouts posted:

Hot drat, that is a lot of BIS miles. At least most of them are in the newest aircraft in the AA fleet. When they get the new 3 class A321 that'll be next significant upgrade to the domestic fleet.

I can't imagine being Exec Plat and not being able to use the free upgrades. Did status even really matter to you at that point before you got to Exec Plat/CK when youre already in first? I guess for irregular ops it helps you get around problems as a CK but aside from that most perks are given when you're flying full fare F already.

With that many miles / days working do you even spend your miles? Or do you keep banking them?

I prefer Boeing over Airbus for a number of reasons and would rather they add newer 767s on the domestic routes that utilize them but with how old the 767-200s are, I can't complain too much.

Status actually did matter a bit as it makes things exponentially easier when rebooking and changing flights, which I do a lot, sometimes 3-4 times a week if not more. First certainly gives you some priority, but ultimately I had to call in through the regular numbers with questionable service. The Exec Plat line almost answers instantly and the people on there are really good. Plus I do a lot of single class flights and boarding first is a godsend on those.

ConciergeKey, however, is a whole different story, when I go and check in at the airport, I am greeted by an AA CK rep who brings me through security (Think Pre-Check) and directly in to the lounge. I get to board before the disabled people and best of all I get to use the international first class lounges even when on domestic. The level of service on the dedicated line is insane to the point where they call to apologize if there are even short delays. It's pretty awesome but at the same time earning it is an enormous pain in the rear end.

As far as my miles, I am banking them. I am not much of a vacation guy and I rarely take a day off, including weekends. At some point I will probably give them away as I doubt I'd ever use the ones I have. I normally give my unused SWUs to members of the military anonymously so they can fly first class home for Christmas and I may do the same thing here.

In spirit of this thread I am posting this from the front of the cabin in a 737-800.

sellouts posted:

It's $350 and completely worth it if you travel that much.

Or get the Amex platinum card, spend $500 for the first year in fees, get free access to Admirals Club, other airline clubs, priority pass, free status at car rentals, free SPG gold (you probably already have it), get the global entry fee reimbursed, and get up to 200 in airline fees reimbursed. Probably a better deal I guess?

AMEX Plat/Centurion is the best card in the world if you travel.

If you don't travel the card is a huge waste.

Belldandy fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 3, 2012

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

sellouts posted:

Hey Belldandy, with all of your travel did you ever utilize the AAirpass? If not, why not?

No, because it is all business travel and my company doesn't seem interested in the program for some reason. The lifetime personal ones have been discontinued for a few years.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

TouchyMcFeely posted:

In a total subject change, does anyone know if the Pre-Check needs to be renewed yearly?

I got it this year thanks to having Gold status when it was first introduced last year but I don't believe Silver gets it automatically. That Pre-Check lane is a god send and if I need to get a NEXUS pass to continue to have access I'd like to get the ball rolling on it now.

edit: and yes, my employer pays all travel fees including checked luggage fees.

No, but it is on an airline by airline basis. So if you had it for Delta and wanted to get it on United you'd have to go through the steps again.

The NEXUS pass is great but under no circumstances indicate that any of your Canada travel is business related. I almost got arrested due to that argument.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Emphatically wrong. I qualified for Pre-check based on AA status and living in an AA hub city (MIA is an AA hub), and the first chance I got to use it was with DL at ATL. All you have to do is copy over your "Known Traveler Number."

You are "emphatically" incorrect here, have your programs confused, and are missing a key point. Let me clarify:

"Vanilla" TSA PreCheck is granted by the airlines themselves to frequent fliers and is ultimately where TSA pulls their information from. By that virtue, a passenger qualifying under one airline can’t use PreCheck if flying another carrier as they would not share this information.

However, if one has Global Entry, which is what you most likely have, this supersedes PreCheck and by virtue of having Global Entry (And other programs like NEXUS/SENTRI) you have PreCheck, which is where you ultimately have your "Known Traveler Number" crafted from. Because Global Entry is TSA initiated and because TSA requires you to fill out an application, which they can deny, they can share this information and grant PreCheck status regardless of airline.

Belldandy fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Dec 7, 2012

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Mitsuo posted:

Welp, bookmarking this thread ASAP. I'm starting a data center engineering job in January which will involve up to 75% travel, based out of Austin. Not sure which airlines I'll be using most just yet, but I have a feeling that as I get into it I'll be referring back to this thread pretty often.

Good to hear Austin is one of the better ones. It seemed nice as I was passing through.

AUS is kind of one of those awkward airports like BOS that serves a decent sized city but doesn't really go anywhere. You will be served the most routes by Southwest but also will have deal with all of the downsides of flying Southwest. My suggestion would be to use AA or UL, you'll basically be shuttling to either DFW or IAH but you will have a TON of options from that point. Both DFW and IAH have fairly frequent flights to AUS and both are about equidistant to drive to in a bind.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

kitten smoothie posted:

Could one ever get EQM/P from credit cards on AA and could qualify for status for a given year off card spend?

Up until last December any mile (BIS, credit card, rental car/hotel bonus) counted for the 1MM/2MM lifetime Platinum/Gold programs, but I didn't think you could ever get annual status qualifying miles from cards. There were lots of people on FlyerTalk applying for dozens of AA Citi cards and using them just enough to get the 25/50/75K mile bonus off each card to get them closer to the 1MM or 2MM mark though.

Then again, I could be wrong; the AA program used to do plenty of things that are long gone now, like blocking out the middle seat if an elite passenger was sitting in the row.

Yep, you are right, You used to be able to get Lifetime Gold/Plat from the miles generated by the Citi AA CC but not actual yearly status via the Million Miler program back before they changed it this year.

Man, the middle seat thing sounds great, too bad they got rid of that but also understandable.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

sellouts posted:

Can the admirals club sometimes block a seat if they know the flight is not sold out?

I feel like they've mentioned it before to me recently but maybe it was them commenting on the status at the time and no one got placed there at the last minute. Seemed odd though as it was a bulk head and they usually find someone to put there.

I've honestly never asked, but I'll be traveling tomorrow so I can find out !

Morby posted:

How many of you guys are still on the road? I had my last trip for the year this week. I went Minneapolis for the second time this year and my wallet got stolen. It's been a ton of fun working things out with various banks! I'm slated to head to Puerto Rico the first part of January. Are you guys already scheduling for next year? Do your companies do a "freeze" period?

Still on the road here, I am normally booked out 3 weeks in advance.

I am gone all of this upcoming week and the week after (thankfully I get a good excuse to miss my girlfriend's friends incredibly lame parties - WOO UGLY SWEATERS!!!), nothing during Christmas week and probably the week after but I already have some stuff starting Jan 7th.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

routenull0 posted:

So when you hit a status mid year, you have it for the following year as right? And you just have to hit it again or more to keep it active?

Yep, and theres a bonus for being fast: I was at 100k or so miles within 5 months and my status was good to 2014.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Lyon posted:

Am I the only one who has never rented a car? I always take public transportation (if it is available) or taxis. I guess all of my trips have been to Europe or major US cities where the airports are fairly close and taxis/public transportation are readily available.

My stats this year will be 52k BIS on US Air and Star Alliance partners hitting gold status on both. Last trip will be next Sunday to San Francisco for a week. Anyone else in the area? I don't participate in hotel or car rental programs. Although that will probably change in 2013 so I'll be asking for recommendations I'm sure.

I've had status at pretty much all of the hotel chains and I like SPG the best with Hyatt as second best based on awards and overall quality of hotels.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

size1one posted:

No experience with hookers, but here is a protip for bring women to your room in general. If you don't have a condom the front desk will often have some.

Unless it's the Trump.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

size1one posted:

You have two choices for PreCheck:

1) attain high enough status on an airline and be invite for only that airline. For delta it's Gold and up but not every elite has been invited.

2) Sign up for Nexus, Sentri, or Global Entry aka Trusted Traveler Programs. These are DHS programs that grant expedited entry into the US. Each one is specific to a Mexico, Canada, or Airport border control respectively. Though for the most part they are interchangeable and all grant access to PreCheck on all airlines too. Interviews for each are only given near cities where they can be utilized so if all you care about is PreCheck then just sign up for the program with an office near you. (I scheduled the interview for an airport I was flying to)

The requirements for trusted traveler programs are:
a) Pay $100
b) be a US citizen (I think Canadians may apply for global entry now too) and have proof (a passport) and another form of ID
c) No misdemeanors in past 5 years. Some traffic violations are misdemeanors, but you will likely be approved if you appeal the first denial.
d) Pass the background check.
e) Get fingerprinted.
f) Pass interview with DHS. (When asked if you are a terrorist, say "no".)

It takes a few weeks for your application to be approved and, depending on the city you want to interview in, 1 week - 2 months to schedule an interview. Once approved you are set for 5 years.

PS all the interview cities are like in Canada or Detroit, Buffalo, and Seattle. Have fun!

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

I want to hope that TSA dissolves before that. They are just the absolute worst.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

kitten smoothie posted:

It took me 3 weeks to get an application approved and the soonest interview timeslot in the Vancouver area was 2 months away.

However I checked the scheduling site every few days. Within a week of being approved I sniped an interview spot someone canceled out of and got right in.

My boss and I were approved at the same time and he was able to snag a canceled spot a week after I did, so it's worth it to keep checking often.

Edit: I got my pass 3.5 years ago (it's valid for 5 years) so the wait time could well be much longer now. The advice about looking for cancelations still stands.

When I did mine Detroit had them open within a 1.5 - 2 week wait.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

FrozenVent posted:

I'll trade your regional jets for DASH-8 and Q400 any day of the week.

I don't even do that much travel, but drat, I hate those things.

Oh they're not that bad, especially the Q400.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

FrozenVent posted:

You've never had a four hour flight in one, have you? Admittedly that was a DASH-8, and we landed a few times to pick up and drop off people, but drat did I hate my life that day. (Only had to do that once, thank God. I don't fly enough to be bitching in this thread, really)

They're a hell of a lot better than the Air Canada Express Beechcrafts 1900D, I'll give you that.

I sure have, a Porter Air flight out of YTZ, so at least it had good food and booze.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

FrozenVent posted:

Porter's planes are Q400 set for 70 seats instead of 78. Also it's Porter, where they have things like service and food. My funtime 3.5 hour flight (preceded by a different two hours Dash-8 flight) was in a Dash-8-100, the 37 seater.

On of those mofos:

God I hate those things.

That said, I'll take a Porter Q400 over an Air Canada anything any day of the week. drat I love Porter, it's the best thing ever if you have anything to do in downtown Toronto.

Yeah, Porter is absolutely how every airline should be run. They are awesome. Plus YTZ is leagues better than YYZ.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Non-Q Dash-8s are pretty bad, but the Q400 is nice as all hell.

Porter rules hard core.

Porter is the most consistently good flying experience outside of, like, Cathay, Emirates, and Singapore Business/First cabins. I'd become Canadian to use them always.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You'd have to stay in Ontario and points east, though.

Unfortunately in my new location I can't access Porter anymore (North Carolina).

There are places in Canada that aren't Toronto?

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Lyon posted:

Hah I promise US Air isn't that bad.. I pretty much only fly US Air and United and I have never noticed a major difference. I am very curious as to what will happen if US and AA merge, sounds like US Air would leave the Star Alliance which will suck.

Have you AA guys been keeping tabs on the talks at all?

Yeah, it's rumored to happen but in my opinion it looks unlikely. I think US Air is horrible so I am dreading it for the most part. None of their hubs offer a lot of value, in my opinion, except for maybe DCA. however the interesting thing they've stated is that AA will not leave oneWorld. Ideally if they merged having access to both programs would be pretty slick.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Lyon posted:

I got my first official assignment of the new year that will require a flight which will be Milan, Italy sometime in February. I need to get the dates worked out but hopefully the first of many. All of January is virtual training and then a week long trip to New Jersey, which is local for me, so February is the start for me I suppose. Last year winter was really busy but this year we seem to have more virtual trainings than on-site ones so far, hopefully that changes.

How are everyone else's schedules looking?

I've already done 12,000 miles, amazingly. Should be hitting 30k or so by the end of the month due to several East to West coast trips. Woo.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

lavaca posted:

Today I enjoyed a few beers at a bar during the 49ers-Falcons game. The bar happened to have a big spread of free food, so I ate a bit of it. Does that justify claiming the cost of the beers as a meal expense?

More to the point - do you guys regularly use up your entire meal allowance? I usually spend peanuts on breakfast and lunch (because the easiest options are pretty cheap) but am a bit afraid of what might happen if I start submitting $50 dinner receipts on a daily basis.

I approve expenses for my team and I would not be really happy if they maxed out their allowances daily because it will hurt them in the long run. I don't personally care because I know being on the road is a pain in the rear end, nor will I "do" anything about it because you are entitled to it per our T&E policy but, I do know that Sr. Management in finance DOES care about it and will make submitting expenses an absolute pain in the rear end if you are within the top spend tier. The fact that most of my team are people managers also makes this difficult because they are expected to set an example for individual contributors about responsible expense policies. With that said, I have had people try to expense some pretty ridiculous poo poo.

So basically, if you are on the road 5 days a week eat Taco Bell 1 or 2 times.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Lyon posted:

Just out of curiosity, what are your limits again and are your employees' expenses billable to a customer? I ask because I almost always hit or slightly exceed the daily spend limit on food and I definitely would if I accounted for everything appropriately.

We are given $40/day for food. This isn't too unreasonable to maintain on some trips as when I/we are on site a lot of times the customer will pick up lunch. So if breakfast is $8-9, lunch is free, and then you have ~$30 for dinner (including tip) it isn't awful. If lunch isn't included that's another $8-10 dollars and now you have ~$20 for dinner including tip which basically means you're going to get real sick of your options.

Non-billable as we are sales, but our consulting arm is billable and I am not familiar with their system. We ask to keep it between $75-100 a day. With that said, what we care more about is quarterly spend. Most of our guys are allowed about $3000 or higher a quarter on personal expenses (food, travel, lodging) depending on their territory size. If a customer is involved the sky is the limit and I have personally tested that. I was sweating after I hit "submit".

Coming from my viewpoint and many others in senior management, if you are a good sales rep you can pretty much get away with murder. One of our guys who is consistently around ~200% the past 6 years is allowed a country club membership on us because this is how he closes deals. I'd imagine unless you work for a really unreasonable company and that unless you completely suck your manager doesn't really care if you exceed spend. Furthermore in most cases they would defend you unless you are doing something vastly retarded.

I get a little red flag in our expense system on plane tickets > $500 and hotel stays > $300 night. I generally do not ask for any justification nor have I ever denied anyone as a lot of the times we have stuff pop up last minute. We have a set rate with a car rental place and those usually end up at about $40 a day before taxes.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Lyon posted:

Okay, I NEVER exceed $75-100/day unless a customer is involved. I was curious what your company considered reasonable in regards to daily expenses. Sky is the limit if a customer is involved for us as well, some people definitely abuse it a bit though (steak dinners, nice scotch, etc) without actual customers involved or no true justification to take junior level customers out to such a dinner.

I imagine your territories are fairly compact region wise? I am based out of Philadelphia but I've been assigned jobs from San Fran to Eastern Poland. I'd say my average expenses for a single trip are probably close to $3k. My most recent trip was: flight to SFO ~$900, six nights at a Marriott $160/night, ~$50/day/food, rental car, etc. The trip before that I spent 10 days in Manchester, UK and I think including airfare total expenses were over $4k.

My expenses are (generally) billable to the customer and they know if our European resources are unavailable/the timeline dictates that someone from the US heads over to Europe that it is going to be expensive.

Yep, $75ish would be very reasonable for us. For our dinners with customers we usually list the people involved and their positions. I have never seen anyone audited but if they had a bunch of non-decision makers and they got flagged it could be bad.

And yes, territories are fairly compact. Most of the time our guys will be doing a single overnight stay, if that, a few times a month. Very rarely will they be on the plane - once or twice a month and it will be a destination pretty close so most people don't surpass 3k.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Radio Talmudist posted:

I just came back from a family trip to India and have one of the most overwhelming and unpleasant flying experiences of my life. My flight from Paris to NY was cancelled and I had to take a confusing jumble of international and domestic flights to get back home 8 am yesterday. Oh, and my baggage is missing.

I can't imagine flying internationally for a living. The time debt you generate is astounding. I slept from noon to 7 pm yesterday because of my exhaustion. That said, I feel that my experience was atypical. Frequent international business travelers, how often do you encounter cancellations or delays, and how severely do they gently caress things up for you? Do you have contingency plans or advice for the stranded or delayed passenger?

All the time. Going from just ORD to BOS and back yesterday I had 8.5 hours in delay due to weather and mechanical issues. Another fun fact to note is that you are more likely to hit a delay/cancellation in the spring vs the winter as snow doesn't normally shut down operations whereas thunder does EVERY TIME.

Stuff doesn't normally get hosed up for me completely, I have had it happen once but if something is SUPER DUPER important I'll fly out the night before just so I have a second chance in the morning to make it there. Usually second time is a charm. I also don't check bags, ever, for the reasons above.

There are lots of things you can do but they aren't good for casual travels or people without a ton of expendable income. I have a Priority Pass membership which means I can pretty much hang out at any international lounge in the event of a delay. At least then I can sleep without worrying about my poo poo getting stolen or get drunk for free. But again, unless you travel enough or just don't care about a $500/year membership it isn't worth it. With that said, more airports have lounges that can be entered with a variety of credit cards and other pay-by-the-hour options for lounges. If you are stuck go ask about a day or hourly pass, it is a way better way to spend your time vs sitting in a noisy smelly terminal.

On another note, has anyone here encountered a more vile smelling terminal than CDG (Paris?) I've been all over the world and that place is just gross.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Shbobdb posted:

Basically this. Plus an Rx for Ambien and/or amphetamines. I like the amphetamines myself, one of my co-workers swears by Ambien. Different strokes (in my case literally) for different folks.

I don't travel internationally but I fly from coast-to-coast all the time. Even there, I generate a significant time debt.

I want to take Ambien so badly on the plane but I am afraid I'll do something dumb based on how I act at home on it. :mad:

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

How did everyone end up this month? I am right at ~29,000 miles as of tomorrow morning. I had a few meetings get cancelled on me and should have been around 33k or so. Kinda bummed as 33 would put me right on track for a 3 month EXP renewal.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Shbobdb posted:

Man, I think I travel a lot but I'm a baby at ~20K.

How does everybody deal with the antiquated corporate travel services? My company is cracking down so we have to use them but they are more expensive and less flexible than loving anything else I can use. This month I've had to be late to meetings with customers and my expense report is through the roof! I'm inclined to say "gently caress it" but from what I've seen, I get in less trouble with corporate when I blow off customers as opposed to when I fudge proper corporate protocol.

I've said it before people: capitalism doesn't work.

I don't, stopped after 6 months and never looked back. I think I have pretty good justification if ever questioned. Corporate travel services don't scale to people who do heavy travel. I would expect my guys who are infrequent travelers to utilize it as it is great for the occasional trip, but when you are making 3+ changes a week to your schedule having to go through a dumb corporate portal is a nightmare.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Lyon posted:

The argument is that the/a corporate travel portal provides extra protection for your tickets/trips/etc but I have never found that to be the case in reality. Concur charges you $25 to call the line and fix any problems... so we're paying all this money and a $7 fee per flight just to have access to Kayak? Then for an additional fee they will help you adjust your flights/trips/whatever? Awesome.

Yeah this is total bullshit.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

FrozenVent posted:

My plane landed in a snowstorm bad enough that I didn't see the ground before the wheels hit the runway. Get into the terminal, half the flights are cancelled and most of the ones that aren't are delayed.

So, so glad I took the direct flight home instead of bouncing through YUL or YYZ for the extra segment.

Anybody get stranded by the HellStorm?

Yeah I am "stuck" in California. I was supposed to leave Thurs night but everything got cancelled. The earliest I can get home is Sat night, all in time to turn around Sun morning and fly out again.

Thankfully I am on a work trip so I just extended my stay and have been chillin' (drinking).

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

The AMR-US merger is official:

http://www.aa.com/arriving/index.html

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Lyon posted:

I just landed in Philadelphia flying on US Air and they announced it briefly on the plane that the merger was official. Time to burn my modest accumulation of miles before they update all the mileage charts.

I'm still upset to be losing the option to fly United but I'll get over it I'm sure once I see all the OneWorld options.

oneWorld is total poo poo compared to StarAlliance. US Air FFs just got hosed.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

My guess is the hub structure will look as follows in a year:

PHX (West Coast/Asia) - DFW (Central/LAM) - MIA (LAM) - PHL (East Coast/Europe)

Focus Cities: ORD - CLT

I think the AA side will drop LAX and JFK/LGA where they are not number 1 in favor of PHL and PHX given the proximity. I think CLT will be dropped or downgraded in favor of MIA where they are #1 and already have an established line of flights to LAM. The only one I am a bit iffy on is the future of ORD where they are #2 behind United. I don't think it will drop off the face of the earth completely but I believe they will scale it down to a regional only or a focus city for both carriers. I think DCA will be downgraded to a similar setup to RDU where they serve both regional and main carriers with a few additional routes.

FT is saying this will most likely be the layout so it turns out I was totally wrong, maybe:

quote:

Prior to any post-merger rationalization, the two airlines will have around 94,000 employees, 950 planes, 6,500 daily flights, and nine major hubs (American: Dallas, Miami, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York; US Airways: Phoenix, Philadelphia, Charlotte). Although the carriers promise to maintain all current hubs, Phoenix and Philadelphia are likely to be downsized in the post-merger “rationalization.”

Belldandy fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 15, 2013

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

sellouts posted:

I gotta disagree here wholeheartedly. Oneworld has LAN which does a great job in South America and Cathay Pacific which I would put up against Singapore or anyone else. With Malaysia on board they cover a ton of Asia pretty nicely. Qantas availability sucks but south pacific is nicely covered as well. A great spread for your elite status to matter.

In terms of using miles on these carriers, Qantas aside, I'd put availability for redemptions better than a lot of the StarAlliance carriers. I was able to book a 2x business class RTW award for 190k miles each and had the option for first class. Had I earned miles with UA and Star Alliance, Singapore would have not had that availability because they werent KrisMiles and barring the computer glitch last year they don't open the suites up for partner mileage redemptions. And the around the world ticket would have cost me 325k miles each in Business and been limited to 10 segments whereas OneWorld it is 16.

I hate to agree with FT here but I can't see American removing their hubs in the biggest 2 markets (LAX & JFK) for regional flights in PHL and PHX. LAX and JFK passengers don't have time to connect in smaller markets and there's too premium traffic between them. LAX is a great connection to CX or QF's network as well. AA's also announced a serious upgrade to the LAX and JFK route specifically and there's no reason to think they're going to abandon this.

Yeah, oneWorld has good Asia carriers but I think Star Alliance has better carriers - ANA and Singapore are incredible and IMHO better than Cathay and JAL but I may just be nitpicking. oneWorld Europe is just bad. I am totally unimpressed with BA whereas was totally impressed with guys like Swiss and Lufthansa. The only area I think they shine, to your point, is with LAN in LAM. I have no experience with Malaysia.

Regarding the hubs, as said above, there is a TON of overlap with those hubs could really cause an odd structure. While I certainly HOPE they don't scale back operations in LAX or JFK, both of those hubs are relatively small compared to CLT, PHX, DFW, MIA or even ORD. AA serves relatively few routes in LAX or JFK. From a pure financial standpoint it may make sense to pull out completely and hold fort where they are already number one and have a large route base. AA's plan for a while now has been to consolidate to a small number of profitable hubs and in past mergers they ALWAYS migrate to the larger hubs. Take for example TWA, namely with the STL hub, which once served over 800 daily flights, depreciated to nothing in a matter of years in favor of ORD as it was larger. I think in both of the cases of LAX/PHX and JFK&LGA/PHL this is a similar sort of setup.

But also as said, the "brand value" of LAX and JFK is incredibly high and obviously it makes sense for airline partners. So, I *HOPE* FT is right.

My dream setup:

LAX - JFK - DFW - ORD - MIA

Focus Cities: DCA - LGA - SJC (Third times a charm)

Belldandy fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 15, 2013

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

I think we can all agree that SkyTeam = ShitTeam.

Also I am totally pissed going from a mostly Boeing to a mix of Boeing/Scarebus.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

TheLizard posted:

Star Alliance has both COPA and TACA/Avianca in LatAm. Both are really good and cover a pretty respectable number of cities.

Yeah, I flew Copa out of Panama last year and was super impressed, mostly at their alcohol selection. Plus I almost proposed to one of the disgustingly hot stewardesses on the spot.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Nifty posted:

Hilton raised the points required to book a bunch of their hotels. I have been loyal to Hilton but am considering switching. At times I go to middle of nowhere towns, and Hyatt etc do not have enough locations for me to regularly book at, so the only other option is Marriott.

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/02/the-state-of-hotel-loyalty-programs-a-devaluation-story/

I switched from HHonors to SPG and never looked back. I don't do nowhere towns really often at all but in the cases I have, I can usually find a Four Points around the area. Sadly those lack compared to an HGI or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

How did everyone do this month? Just hit 50,000, slow month for me due to lots of cancellations and reschedules of meetings.